[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Auto-Aim
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4
File: auto aim.jpg (238 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
auto aim.jpg
238 KB, 640x480
Is auto-aim ever justifiable?
>>
It's a good crutch for people who play FPS/TPS games on controllers.
>>
>>343918315
When the developer can't make a decent manual aim to save their lives, I'd say yes.
>>
If it's a single player game which focuses more on fast paced movement and positioning rather than precise aiming then it's understandable why auto aim would be a thing.
>>
>playing Redemption and trying to shoot horseback wifhout autoaim

that was fun, autoaim isn't.
>>
>>343918315
Because of some genetic thing, my girlfriend has a perpetual tremor in her hands. Auto-aim is a necessity for her.
>>
>>343918315
On consoles, sure. You can't aim accurately or quickly with controllers and they need something to make the games playable.
>>
>>343919801
Does she give good Handjobs?
>>
>>343919801
>my girlfriend has a perpetual tremor in her hands

How are her handjobs?
>>
>>343919916
>>343919970
HANDJOBMIND
>>
>>343919801
Does she give you footjobs instead of handjobs then?
If so how are they?
>>
If the game is only playable on a controller, then yes, absolutely. Controllers are good for certain kinds of games, but not FPS and TPS.
>>
>>343919874
I never understood the "can't aim with gamepads" meme. I genuinely cannot headshot with KB+M in PC shooters to save my life, but I was a master at the Halo 3 with aim assist disabled.
>>
>>343920954
Its not a meme. Studies have been done time and time again: Controllers just aren't as good for FPS and TPS due to lack of control.

Look at Shadowrun or Overwatch for two overt examples.
>>
>>343921216
Yes, but how do people struggle with gamepad aiming? Mouse aiming is at least 10 times more difficult.
>>
>>343919801
Are you sure she isn't just trembling with fear? She's not your girlfriend and she doesn't need that many eggs, Anon, let her go.
>>
>>343921494
Because fewer muscles are involved and those lack of muscles mean you can't be as precise.
>>
>>343921216
>>343919874
Not that other guy you're talking with, mouse is easier than pad, definitely, no doubt. But saying that it's completely unplayable and you have no control is just being a weak casul. It's harder, that's all, git the fuck gud.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-3yo-KgEYk

No.
>>
>>343921585
Still isn't an excuse for Polygon's attempt at playing DOOM.
>>
>>343918315
Open world shooters like what you posted. Manual aim in those can be a pain in the dick on a controller.
>>
Why are controllers bad for FPS?
>>
>>343921781
No, that was just someone who hasn't played video games before playing video games.
>>
>>343922074
How do you aim a gun? You move your arm around. How do you aim with a mouse? You move your arm around. How do you aim with a controller? You twiddle your thumb.
>>
>>343922562
A mouse only requires wrist movement though.
>>
>>343922074

You know exactly how fast the cursor will move when you move the mouse. Slight movements are FAR easier.

With a controller it's nearly impossible to get the exact right tilt for the speed you need, and you either aim much slower or you can't do precision aiming.
>>
No that shit makes any game boring, turns everything into Hold the shoot button til everything dies
>>
>>343918315
>mobile

kys
>>
>>343918315
Yes.
I literally can NOT aim with a controller.
If you can you are a literal god.
>>
>>343922562
wat
>>
>>343918315
Why is that NPC so cute?
>>
>>343918315

If you're a consoletard. GTA SA was infinitely better on PC with 200 player multi-player.
>>
>>343918315
since rockstar can't make aiming on a controller enjoyable, yeah. Even saints row manages to have decent enough aim to not need auto-lock
>>
>>343923036
>You know exactly how fast the cursor will move when you move the mouse

Not when every fucking game wants to include their own mouse sensitivity so you have to spend an hour getting it just right.
>>
>>343923445

Sometimes it takes a bit to get used to.

But with a controller you have the same issue, different games have different sensitivities. It's a LOT harder to get used to. Some games even have different dead zones.

I feel like the way Destiny did it is the best way to do auto aim. Full aim control, but when the crosshairs go over an enemy they slow down.
>>
>>343923221
I fucking hate trackballs, they're so awful, worse than a controller by far
>>
>>343923445
It takes you an hour to adjust your mouse sensitivity? Why wouldn't you just adjust it so a full sweep from side to side is a 180 then turn acceleration on a low setting so you can flick turn?
>>
>>343918315
aiming with controller
60fps > 25fps
I have GTA on PC and xbone and its night and day. I think auto aim helps make up for the shit caused by low fps
inb4 he bought gta twiceI bought it 4 times
>>
>>343924023
I literally can't use anything else. I'd have to relearn how to play fps with a mouse if I switched and I don't want to do that. Too old.
>>
File: 1463533801483.gif (3 MB, 354x656) Image search: [Google]
1463533801483.gif
3 MB, 354x656
Not really ever, no. Even if you do use controllers. Playing an FPS or TPS with auto aim is annoying as fuck. Maybe on some action games but has to be done REALLY well.

I love the new Jojo EoH game but when a character like N'Doul or RHCP has a stand that act as a separate control from the user, it makes it difficult to lock on them when I keep locking on to the closer target which is either their stand or the other enemy. And don't even bother using it for horde mode missions in the Story Mode. Targeting Enya or a specific enemy is fucking hell. Just select Jotaro or a character with good sweeping hitbox like Star Finger and pray you don't fucking miss. But I guess that's more of a lock-on situation than an auto aim. Thought I might as well bring it up.
>>
>>343924032
That's terrible. Why would you want to move your mouse that much to turn? That's a ton of picking up your mouse to recenter every time you need to make a turn >180 degrees.
>>
>>343924394
Because I'm this >>343923221 guy. It works pretty well on a trackball.
>>
File: 10219773.png (47 KB, 170x170) Image search: [Google]
10219773.png
47 KB, 170x170
The only auto aiming done well is Kingdom Heart games
>>
>>343925440
>forgetting Metroid Prime
>>
>>343918315
It works for DMC and Bayonetta, because the game is balaced around the assumption that you don't need to aim.

It's only a problem in games where aiming is a core mechanic; if the game is balanced around aiming, auto-aim is the equivalent to Mario having auto-jump if you forget to hit the button
>>
>>343918642
This. If I think about games where autoaiming actually improved gameplay, I'd say that Crackdown would be one example of that.

However, that doesn't change the fact that it's shit for most games and I don't get people who ruin something like RDR by playing with it.
>>
>>343918315
auto-aim is more natural and realistic than the alternative.
>>
>>343923036
This is true, BUT it's only part of the story.

Take a game like Halo: weapons have a wide spread and player movement is high speed.

One thing that I find substantially easier in Halo (or with a controller in general) is circle-strafing; you can circle strafe extremely easily on a controller, just hold the sticks. No lifting, no jittering, and the smoothness usually means it's easy for your wide-spread weapon to hit the target.

Actually I play on PC with a Steam Controller and while I love the mouse-like trackball sensitivity, I still have "edge spin" enabled, where holding at the very edge of the trackpad functions how an analogue stick would, so that I can circle-strafe properly.
>>
>>343921509
He made her eat all the eggs? Jesus.
>>
>>343918315
For console players they need it because aim with gamepad is sluggish and shit.
>>
>>343918315
Yes, but only if I can turn it off and the game isn't centered around having it on. I played GTA IV without it and it was fun.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.