[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dark Souls 2
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8
File: Dark_Souls_II_cover.jpg (56 KB, 256x369) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Souls_II_cover.jpg
56 KB, 256x369
Is Dark Souls 2 actually THAT bad? I see so many posts around here saying that it's straight up a bad game.

I really want to pick it up and play through it because I loved Bloodborne but I can't tell if it's just a meme or legitimately bad.
>>
>>343909303
It's not bad, never trust the "hivemind" on /v/
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/10672202
>>
>>343909303
It's the worst of the 5 souls games by a large margin.
>>
>>343910037
Why is that though? What makes it so bad compared to the rest.
>>
>>343909303
Play it yourself and find out. It's true that it's very different than the other Souls games, and people who wanted more of DaS1 immediately declared it shit. It's pretty hit or miss.
>>
>>343910037
He isn't asking about dark souls 3
>>
File: 1380303570603.jpg (88 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
1380303570603.jpg
88 KB, 500x667
It's fine, unless you're a huge bandwagoning souls lore autist.
>>
My biggest problem is bonfires with enemies right in front of them.
>>
It's my personal favorite, aside from Bloodborne (which isn't really part of the Souls series, lore wise). Like the other anon said, never trust the /v/ hivemind and it's memes.
People who shit on it shit on the admittedly bad vanilla release instead of the SotFS version which fixed nearly everything.
>>
It's not bad per se but the hype levels before release were off the charts. We got a good but flawed game that is inferior to the first one, and it's only natural to over react
>>
>>343910464
It's not a bad game by any means, it's just not up to snuff with the rest of the Dark Souls games in terms of encounter design, level layout, or atmosphere

The DLC for it is, they did a much better job on that than the base game

So it's a good game, just the worst souls game
>>
>>343910761
>or atmosphere
>inferior to the atmosphere of giant dragon butts running around in unfinished lava levels

Listen, I love DaS1 and all, but the game completely fell apart after Anor Londo.
>>
File: Cat judges milk.png (96 KB, 297x237) Image search: [Google]
Cat judges milk.png
96 KB, 297x237
I'm quite a bit in to DS2 now and I'm just not liking it as much as DS1. I seem to get much more annoyed playing 2 than 1.
Started playing Demon's Souls and instantly liked it more than DS2.
How's DS3? Is it more like 2 or 1?
>>
>>343911136
Ds3 is literally just a ds1 fan service, even reuses the same last boss
>>
>>343909303
It's not bad, just the worst in the series.
>>
File: soulsmaps.jpg (1 MB, 1920x3240) Image search: [Google]
soulsmaps.jpg
1 MB, 1920x3240
>>343911136
They tried making a direct sequel instead of something different and it ended up falling flat on it's ass.
Also it's linear as fuck.
>>
>>343909303
It's actually the best in the series, /v/ hating it is just an epic meme
>>
>>343911980
this
also best lore
fuck Gwyn being a manchild, the various kings of DaS2 were way more interesting
>>
>>343909303
Yes, it is THAT bad.
>>
In DS3 what is the best weapon for int/faith build?
>>
They degraded kinesthetics (animation quality, heft, and enemy staggering) to make combat feel much slower and that extra bit floaty to where it's no longer just "realistic/believable", but also tedius because there are so many occasions where cooldowns and delays are stretched to where they're not even represented by any previous animations or other tells.

If you've performed a roll, and want to do a regular attack instead of a rollingbased attack to follow up, the timings for that are downright inconsistent for no good reason, where in Dark Souls 1 it was always static and designed to feel as responsive and intuitive as possible.
If you try to sprint at all, the delay is mostly random. It does not depend on how full your stamina bar is, but whatever the delay comes from, it's clearly not very important to the designers, since it can be cancelled by rolling before sprinting.

These things don't make any sense, and downgrade the masterful combat system of the previous games to that of a mediocre and slow hack and slash, which is what you must see these games as in the first place if you can't tell a fucking difference between 2 and the rest.
>>
File: darksouls2-full-11.jpg (2 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
darksouls2-full-11.jpg
2 MB, 3840x2160
Why the other games are full of mysteries that actually have answers, dark souls 2 tried to be deep and it just end up being nonsense or not having a answer at all. It's a soulless game. You watch see that video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UScsme8didI

Bandai Namco ruined this game in all possible ways it could. All the beta/alpha things from the game and the E3 looks great, but in the end the game sucked.
>>
>>343913480
Izalith Staff or Crystal Chime for catalysts.

For normal weapons, I think anything that does have scaling in both is likely garbage.
>>
>>343909303
It's uninspired and that's the best word I would use to describe the game.
Also it's ugly as fuck for a 2014 game - it literally has ps1-tier muddy textures copypasted and stretched across the entire rooms
>>
>>343909303
No its not THAT bad. Completely playable with some questionable design decisions and flawed mechanics upon close inspection.

It's legitmately a great game, just a bad souls game.

If you like souls games, you're missing out by not playing it.
>>
>>343909303
well i started a few weeks ago and i have to say it's better than 3 at gameplay.
only problem i had was the controls on keyboard that can be fixed with a script.
the graphics are up to the taste i liked some places but other looked horrible.
combat is really enjoyable and more challenging.
since i am talking about it, does anyone know how to get hd graphics on II?
>>
>>343911619
That map of DS3 is technically wrong, last I checked.
You don't actually need the Doll to get into Irithyll.
>>
>>343909303
I haven't bought DS3 yet so i dunno.

But on a PC, I would reinstall DS2 before DS1 because it works fine even with a KB+M out of the box.
>>
File: 1467231709149.jpg (56 KB, 485x459) Image search: [Google]
1467231709149.jpg
56 KB, 485x459
>>343913838
>Soulsborne
>plot
>>
>DaS2 is the only one in the series with spell use weapons/shields

Why? It's so cool being able to hybrid like that.
>>
>>343913838
Here's the DEEPEST LORE
>Nashandra(Namco Bandai) wants Vendrick(Miyazaki) to raid the giants(enter the PC market) and ascend the throne (make Dark Souls 2)

>Vendrick(Miyazaki) did cross the sea(make pc port of DaS1) but he later refused to ascend the throne (didn't become the director of DS2)

>Breaking of the curse is left to his subordinates and brother, Aldia (Miyazaki's colleagues)

>Some of them fucked up along the way and are left roaming the world as the Forlorn (Shibuya, the first director is now in limbo)

>Aldia(Tanimura, 2nd director), researched the first sin (DaS) and tried to use his knowledge and experiments to setup the whole bonfire system, emerald herald, dragons, etc. so that one powerful cursed one can become the next monarch (He made the DLCs reworked DaS2 based on what he learned from DaS)

>Throughout the game, the Cursed One has to wonder what his motivations are and what will he do when he ascend the throne, or otherwise. (Player have to make sense of wtf they are doing playing this game and are they going to just enjoy the experience or fuck off)
>>
>>343909303
I hated it because it wasn't the same as dark souls 1. I was just disappointed. But I recently started playing it on ps4. I'm enjoying it now though. The pvp is fun.
>>
>best pvp in the series hands-down
>most weapons and build variety, including things like powerstancing
>lots of content while still allowing a good amount of freedom in what you want to do first unlike DaS3
>actually a finished game, unlike DaS1
b-b-but muh beeteem muh lore
>>
Honestly I miss DS2 enemies after playing 3, fucking everything has infinite stamina + 100% stagger chance
But level and world design is really bad
>>
>>343909303
No it's not a bad game. Now that the series is finished, you should play all the games in it.
>>
File: drangleic_map_dlc.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1280) Image search: [Google]
drangleic_map_dlc.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1280
>Dragon Shrine is always at sunrise
>FotFG, Huntsman copse, etc. are some time midday.
>Majula and Heides are at sunset
>Lost Bastille is always night
You are literally "travelling" through time in this game.
>>
Realistically speaking, the only legit bad parts about the game is

1. Too many healing options
2. Soul Memory
3. Bosses not very memorable

Other than that it's a really solid game and has so many things done better than Dark Souls 3 currently.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.