[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did studios suddenly stop making Dune video games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
Why did studios suddenly stop making Dune video games?
>>
licensing fees probably. also it'd be tough to beat dune 2.
>>
>>343903587

Dune open world RPG when
>>
>>343903757
>tough to beat Dune 2
>nobody that is still alive except for those that enjoyed Dune 2 for nostalgic reasons would even touch that game
le old game best game meme (2 players online worldwide)
>>
Far as I know, the current owner of Dune won't let go of it for anything in the world.
>>
>>343903969

>le "muh graffix"
>>
Anybody else in this thread read the book? Everyone that says yes is a reason for them to keep making Dune games, and we're a very small minority compared to 1987
>>
>>343904252
Currently working on reading it. Gives me something to do during break at work.
>>
>>343904252
Best selling sci-fi book of all time I'm sure there is enough fans that would play a modern Dune game
>>
>>343904252

I only read up until the second book.

I heard it gets downhill from there.
>>
>>343904178
>those games that have great graphics and you are making fun of have better success than any of the old ones
>there is no corporation anymore that gives a shit about your elitist gameplay that nobody except you and Carl the old hag down the street cares about
>no current generation player that didn't have old games would give a shit about what you're saying

I love Dune 2, don't get me wrong. But admit it, nobody would play it even if they know about it in favor for trash like Gray Goo, Ashes of Singularity and Act of Aggression, one superior to another in terms of how crap they are. Yet they all sold well. It's just how it works. Why make a game people can enjoy anymore in a over-saturated market people just buy the "prettiest" thing. I personally await the market crash, if a second one will ever happen anymore now with the millions of trash dumbed down RTS (MOBA) players and the esports & F2P scene which actually trashed every aspect of games, but which is glorified by anyone living in the current era.

I know how you feel anon, it hurts, it hurts for me too, and I hate the current day and age and damn everyone, but it's how it is.
>>
>>343904252
Yes
>tfw no crysis-like leto 2 game
>>
>>343903587
why not make a new starship troopers game?
>>
>>343904578

I don't think I've got a friend who's also had the pleasure. At least for rural Canadians in their mid twenties this book is a novelty. This would be a great IP to feed to Paradox studios
>>
WH40K is infinitely more interesting and developable
>>
File: watch_tan.jpg (21 KB, 853x364) Image search: [Google]
watch_tan.jpg
21 KB, 853x364
>>343904757
What I would like in a Dune game is to make a house and backstab my way to the top of the spice trade.
Speaking of Paradox. Tranny will hopefully fulfill part of this dream.
>>
>>343904598
I've been told that God Emperor could be worth your time if you prefer the tone and content of Messiah over the original, but if the first one's your favorite you probably won't enjoy GEoD.
>>
>>343905118
well a crusader kings style game could work for Dune
perhaps modified to depend less on warfare and more on politics and assassinations
>>
>>343904598
No. All six books are good, and worth reading. 4 (God Emperor) is my favorite - and 2,3 kind of build up to 4.

Everything after 4 also makes you appreciate 4 more.
>>
>>343905118

Dune is the quintessential space opera. Feudal houses, destroyed value of human life, the weird ways excess and decadence appear in the upper classes, its a game that HAS to be a cloack-n'-dagger strategy game
>>
I've been playing Deserts of Kharak. It's a pretty fuckin good dune game that isn't about dune
>>
>>343905151
not really, god emperor is just a very different sort of book but its well written
>>
>still no Miles Teg beat-em-up
>still no Honored Matres dating sim
>>
>>343904252
Yeah.

what should I go for next? I haven't read any sci-fi that was nearly as good. Been trying to find a good mid-20th century sci fi, but I've been re-reading LOTR and might start some Verne before that

should I just read Dune Messiah? It looks so much shorter than dune
>>
>>343904252
yes
The jews are the worst faction
>>
>>343904252
I've read the first book. I meant to continue on but I got sidetracked.

>>343905401
I was going to buy that on the steam sale because it looked kind of like Dune but then I didn't because it's not actually Dune.
>>
that emperor soundtrack tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czXaKxcQNkQ
>>
an open world fremen simulator could be a fun game

would love real time fully interactive sandworm mounting
>>
>>343905530
Yeah, might as well read the rest of the books. All six books form arguably the greatest sci-fi universe of all time.

Don't touch anything written by Frank Herbert's son / Kevin J. Anderson, though.
>>
>>343905818
It's pretty fucking close. The story is pretty interesting too. The atmosphere is very dune inspired.

The only thing missing is that the story and setting are almost nothing like dune, which can be a plus because who wants to run the risk of making a shitty adaptation of a dune game (considering it's been done very well before).
>>
>>343906073
That's what I hear

I'm kind of autistic about my physical books though. I like them to match. Hopefully I can find a decent collection
>>
>>343905423
>Press F to Ah-h-h-h
>>
Dune 2000 > Dune 2
>>
>>343905530
Messiah is a bridge to Children, which ends a great trilogy
for more mid-20th SF try out Robot/Foundation series by Asimov and 2001/2010... by Clarke
>>
>>343906769
you're not wrong
>>
>>343904252
yes, and I'd like a multi-genre game based on race.
Sardaukar: FPS
Bene Gesserit:
Harkonnen: third-person shooter
Fremen: third-person open world
Bene Tleilax: puzzle
Guild: shmup
Fish Speaker: puzzle platformer with Siona
Honored Matre: beat em up sidescroller
>>
>>343907880
meant to add
Bene Gesserit: Grand Strategy
>>
>>343907880
Eve Online tried to do some shit like that

they have their MMO which is somehow linked to some FPS they made that no one plays
>>
When's the last time you heard anyone talk about Dune
>>
File: atreides.jpg (497 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
atreides.jpg
497 KB, 1280x720
>>343903587
Are you stupid? There was an open world Dune RPG released just last year.
>>
>>343908380
here, today
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.