[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the most pretentious game you've ever played?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 133
Thread images: 16
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 541x338) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 541x338
>>
>>343891848
Dark Souls.
>>
>>343891848

Undermeme
>>
Dragon Age Inquisition.
>>
>>343891848
Probably Pathologic
>>
What game is that OP ?
>>
Bioshock Infinite, easily
It pretends to be somewhat decent and well written.
>>
>>343891848
Souls game franchise, Demon Souls wasn't too bad on it but DkS and Bloodborne just a mess
Undertale too definitely
Far Cry franchise has pretentious characters aswell
>>
>>343891848
ITT people who don't know what pretentious means
>>
Spec Ops The Line
>>
>>343891848
Bastion. I can usually tell when a game is pretentious, but not that time I guess.
>>
>>343891848
Witness. Hands down.
>>
Gone Home, and it isn't close.
>>
>>343892239
I'm glad I didn't have to be the one to say this. Is there even any gameplay in the souls series? It's just all opaque storytelling and lore descriptions on equipment. I don't get it at all.
>>
File: image.png (222 KB, 1125x2001) Image search: [Google]
image.png
222 KB, 1125x2001
>>343892361
Yeah, no. Dark Souls is still the answer.
>>
maybe, flappy bird?

dev rips off fantasy zone and mario sprites, makes bucks, then takes it down because he's sad someone killed their friend over his shitty game, not because he essentially ripped of that chopper game and made bank.

>undertale
dev said before the hype he doesn't want the hype, actually pretty based if you ask me.
>>
>>343892239
>souls games
Do you know what pretencious means?
>>
>>343891848
Probably MGSV
The game tries so hard to be cool but barely does anything actually cool. Even the gameplay feels iterative as fuck.
>>
>>343892496
>Is there even any gameplay in the souls series?

what
>>
The Last of Us dlc
>>
>>343892696
Quiet shooting fucking plane pilot was cool as fuck.
>>
>>343892496
Yeah that "opaque storytelling" where characters literally tell you exactly what to do and you have the basic setting clearly outlined to you in the intro.
>>
Dude Sex
>>
>>343892743
Been there, done that in MGS2.
>>
>>343892696
I think the entire series as a whole is pretty pretentious. It tries to convey this deep emotional story but it's basically just a shitty melodramatic 80s action movie.
>>
>>343892439
you knobhead
>>
>>343891848
It's a tie between Limbo and Inside. They should really stop making artsy garbage.
>>
>>343891848
Metal Gear as a franchise, and more recently I can already tell Death Stranding will be little more than pretentious dross.
>>
>>343892558
If that chopper game was so great why didn't it make bank? Just fuck off and accept the fact that you hate flappy bird because you didn't do it first and become a millionaire as well.
>>
>>343891848
5 MINUTES
M
I
N
U
T
E
S
>>
>>343891848
4chan
>>
>>343892816
Really? I just remember boss battle with president of the USA jumping on the plane piloted by vampire. I don't think pilot was sniped.
>>
>>343892825
>It tries to convey this deep emotional story but it's basically just a shitty melodramatic 80s action movie.
that's the whole point you moron
>>
>people saying Dark Souls
Wasn't the third game that just came out some time ago completely devoid of any lore and just focused on iterating the gameplay?
Game has to actually try to be super cool with its lore or something to be considered pretentious in that aspect. Or am I missing something else here?
>>
File: 2275989-box_eye.png (481 KB, 541x640) Image search: [Google]
2275989-box_eye.png
481 KB, 541x640
EYE: Divine Cybermancy

but the pretentiousness is part of the charm.
>>
File: witness_devtweetspic_1657353.jpg (55 KB, 565x589) Image search: [Google]
witness_devtweetspic_1657353.jpg
55 KB, 565x589
>>343891848
>>
>>343892495
Finally had a chance to try it since it was free on PS+ this month. I can't tell if Gone Home is actually pretentious or just blatantly shallow with the same cliched teenage lesbian story they all seem to have. The best part is knowing I didn't give those hacks at "Fullbright" studio any money.
>>
>>343892502
No, actually, you really don't know what it means even after looking at the definition. I hope for your sake english is your third language.

I'm also positive you're pretending to be retarded at this point, so I'm not going to respond after this. Enjoy your (you).
>>
>>343892972
Well I don't like the point.
>>
>>343892825
The series has been in the vein of an 80s action movie since 1990.
>>
>>343892996
Fuck, i kind of want to try playing this, but it is really fucked up if you don't read some guides? Because im too lazy to do that.
>>
>>343893013
Is that a homemade catheter piss bottle?
>>
>>343891848
Fallout: New Vegas
Every moment of it I felt like a 10 year old attempting to be profound was head of writing.
>>
>>343892720
>>343892807
I think thay guy was sarcastic. Never too sure these days though
>>
>>343892987
>Or am I missing something else here?
this thread is just another summerfag bait
>>
File: Proteus_logo.png (13 KB, 325x380) Image search: [Google]
Proteus_logo.png
13 KB, 325x380
>>
>>343892005
This
>>
Bastion, hands down. Hated every second of it.
>>
>>343892987
>"prepare to die"
>"you're going to die over and over again, guy"
>"seriously, we're hardcore, you know"
>"death awaits you"
Yeah, Dark Souls is pretentious as fuck
>>
>>343891983
The graveyard
>>
>>343892996
It's not pretentious, it's an unfinished kludge.
>>
File: 8d0.jpg (55 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
8d0.jpg
55 KB, 500x500
>this entire thread
>>
>>343891848
undertale
>>
>>343893031
Aw, did I get your panties in a bunch? Dark Souls is pretentious shit. It doesn't mean you can't like it, but be objective about it at least.
>>
>>343893126
pls leave Todd
>>
>>343893339
They only did that in the second one, and it was heavily criticized for doing so.
>>
>>343893118
yep
https://youtu.be/-yMw0l26Jvs?t=4m22s
>>
>>343893463
das2 didn't have a Prepare to Die edition
>>
>>343893126
What was actually pretentious about the writing?
>>
>>343892737
>The Last of Us dlc
I loved the base game, but yeah, those flashback scenes were fucking pretentious. They should have just kept her whole "me and my friend were bit but I survived" backstory vague instead of showing it to us. The winter parts were cool though, being able to pit infected and hunters against eachother.
>>
>>343893412
>Everyone who doesn't like New Vegas's terrible writing is Todd Howard

I didn't say Fallout 3 had good writing, and it didn't. But it didn't attempt to be something it wasn't. You want to see an example of pretentiousness in New Vegas just look at Caesar.
>>343893532
It tried very hard to appear philosophical and deep while in reality it was shallow as a puddle. When someone spouted out their beliefs in the game it was essentially a mouthfull of nothing.
>>
>>343893514
>claiming Dark Souls is pretentious because it had a stupid subtitle for the GOTY edition
>something that was done by Namco Bandai for marketing rather than by From Software itself

Yeah you're not really making a very good argument here buddy.
>>
>>343893648
*mouthful*
>>
>>343892892
maybe because it was a free flash game

>mad cause didn't think of it first
I wasn't the first to wonder if blowing up the sun is a good idea, that doesn't make it a good idea. why are you supporting a literal sellout?
>>
>>343893514
perepere to die because it's a hard game by modern stantards, not because it's pretentious
>>
>>343893648
>It tried very hard to appear philosophical and deep while in reality it was shallow as a puddle. When someone spouted out their beliefs in the game it was essentially a mouthfull of nothing.

You're still not actually saying anything of any value. Give me some actual examples.

>Caesar
Okay? You can also call him a pretentious prick in the game, and plenty of characters refer to him as one. You disagree with the guy and that's fine. Mind elaborating what exactly you found pretentious about him?
>>
File: Jian.jpg (274 KB, 599x450) Image search: [Google]
Jian.jpg
274 KB, 599x450
>>343892996
>>
>>343893409
>Dark Souls is pretentious shit

elaborate
>>
>>343892439
this

it was full of shit.
>>
The Stanley Parable
>>
>>343893762
It's okay, bruh. Not everyone can be millionaires. Who knows? Maybe one day you can come up with your scheme to make money off of fools.
>>
>>343891848
/v/
>>
>>343893463
No you're just an idiot. First thing you talk to crestfallen asshole about is about how you're going to die a lot. If you bought the game on console, look at the back of the game. It talks about how hardcore the game is and how it's so hard.
>>
>>343893987
I already have plenty, the problem is I don't want to become like the people I despise.

seriously reconsidering lately though.

I could never work at EA though, fuck those guys.
>>
File: HOME+MAN[1].png (59 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
HOME+MAN[1].png
59 KB, 1600x900
>/v/ once again using a definition to troll fanbases

I think it's time for me to educate you boys on what this word actually means. Take a gander at this picture over to your left.

This is from a game called "Home". It's on steam right now for roughly $3, and even this is overpaying by about $2.50. It has mixed reviews, with some calling it the worst game ever made, to some calling it a "wonderful masterpiece". The game is rarely on sale, if ever.

So you might be sitting there thinking to yourself "Ugh! PIXELSHIT!" while slamming your hams against the keyboard fighting against the Nu-male menace, but I assure you, it's actually MUCH much worse than it looks. Most of the games I've played that /v/ has accused of "pixel shit" were actually decent to not-bad, if not better. THIS game however taught me the real terror of badly animated pixel games.

The game is advertised as a horror game, but has absolutely no enemies, NPCs, or any type of interaction or even puzzles whatsoever. It doesn't even have an actual storyline. Instead, it gives you a flashlight and four different areas. The only "goal" is to get to the character's home. On the way, you explore a few areas with things you can investigate and present some commentary on. However, nothing is ever solidly explained throughout the story. Instead, at the end of the game, the author gives you an empty text box and asks you what you thought so he can post it on a wall online.

The worst part is that it's incredibly easy to see that he put in 4 or 5 different plotlines, then obscured them a bit relying on a scam-artist technique called "cold reading", then left them there in hopes that you would draw meaning out of them. He's even aware of how easy his trick is to see through and starts the game with "You should play this game only ONE TIME in your life! You should also do it in one sitting!"

This game is the definition of a lazy asshole sniffing his own farts. I highly recommend a pirate.
>>
>>343893850
he's a fucking retard, there's nothing pretentious about it. only pretentious characters, but that's part of their character, and like you said other characters will refer to them as such.

New Vegas' story is just a nice revenge flick and then falling into a bigger situation. it doesn't try to send some important message, or push some political agenda, or pretend to be some "amazing piece of """art""""
>>
>>343894090
>First thing you talk to crestfallen asshole about is about how you're going to die a lot.

Have you actually played the game? It really sounds like you haven't.

> If you bought the game on console, look at the back of the game

So more marketing garbage? Wow you've really shown me how pretentious the actual game is.
>>
File: inside.jpg (50 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
inside.jpg
50 KB, 800x450
This shit.
>>
>>343893850
I already gave you an example. I don't need to offer a thesis on why New Vegas lacks any depth. But alright, Ulysses is another example of bad writing, here's some quotes

>"No need to destroy the bear. Just cut its throat."
>"All these roads, you walked. These packages you carried. Think it wasn't your choice? Of course it was your choice. You could have stayed in the Mojave. But you chose to come, couldn't let be - not in you to let go. Came for no other reason than you were curious, restless - always have been. Had to know the why of it - now, I'll show you."
>"If war doesn't change, men must change, and so must their symbols. Even if it is nothing at all, know what you follow, Courier..."

These quotes mean absolutely nothing. They are vague and untruths. Of course you'll still parrot /v/ and suck it off regardless.
>>
File: header.jpg (21 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
21 KB, 460x215
>>343891848
I enjoyed the execution of it but it has no point or meaning yet tries hard to have one.
>>
>>343894150

Thanks for advertising it
>>
>>343891848
Mario

ps its about communism in case you didn't know
>>
>>343893940
To be fair, if you're a complete fucking retard normie, stanley parable teaches you new things about game design and story writing.

I was pretty clueless until i played that game desu. But if you have at least half a brain for vidya, you'd probably consider it a preachy walking simulator.
>>
>>343893409
>he thinks opinions are objective
Lol 10/10 ausfuck so you don't know what pretentious or objective mean cool
>>
>>343893696
most of these haters haven't even played it, they most likely hate the fanbase post DaS PC release.
>>
"pretentious" is one of terms /v/ misuses the most, along with "projecting".
>>
>>343893409
>Dark Souls is pretentious shit
>implying dark souls tries to be anything more than something with good combat mechanics
>implying you're not just projecting the 3deep5u headcanon shit that youtube faggots come up with onto the developers
fuck off.
i don't even like dark souls that much, but you're being a nigger.
>>
>Ctrl + F Bioshock Infinite
>only one result
>>
>>343894581
>I don't need to offer a thesis on why New Vegas lacks any depth
Because the only thing you can actually do is give vague, empty and contrarian statements to shit on a game so you look cool?

Ulysses is fairly up his own ass, I'll give you that. But that was a major criticism of Lonesome Road and doesn't make the whole fucking game pretentious.

Makes total sense in context. It's well established that the Bear is a nickname for the NCR. This is when you confront him on the idea that he can't destroy the whole NCR. He explains that his plan is to simply destroy the major supply lines to dry them out.

>"All these roads, you walked. These packages you carried. Think it wasn't your choice? Of course it was your choice. You could have stayed in the Mojave. But you chose to come, couldn't let be - not in you to let go. Came for no other reason than you were curious, restless - always have been. Had to know the why of it - now, I'll show you."

In response to you refusing responsibility over the package that destroyed the Divide. Again, this makes sense in context, he's saying that you getting dragged into the Divide and the responsibility for it is entirely your own fault since you chose to follow his radio message out of curiosity.

>"If war doesn't change, men must change, and so must their symbols. Even if it is nothing at all, know what you follow, Courier..."
Ulysses' whole thing is that clinging to the Old World is bad and has dragged the NCR and Legion into the ground. If the nature of war doesn't change (which is the theme of the whole series) then at the very least men must change and move beyond old symbols and flags. It's basically re-inforcing the ideology behind the faction you chose, with "nothing at all" referring to Wild Card/ Yes Man.

Ulysses way of speaking was annoying and overly-dramatic, but that doesn't make the rest of the game pretentious.
>>
>>343891848
IN THE FREE VERSION NOTHING HAPPENS

YOU HAVE TO PAY TO GET THE CHANCE FOR THE OLD BAG TO DIE
>>
>>343892559
nah i don't know what pretencious means
i do know what pretentious means though
>>
>>343895363
Sorry man, I have to agree with the other one. While in context it might be harder to spot, those lines sound really bad and up the writers own ass. They just FEEL like a smug asshole speaking while reading them.

It's like the writer watched too much House or some other dramatic western TV and thought that the cool thing to do in philosophy is paint moral grey lines in places they don't need to be nor belong.
>>
>>343893030
I did them one better. I didn't even download it, even though it was free.

I don't want those assholes to claim free downloads as revenue or proof of popularity for any reason.
>>
>>343893890
he cant
>>
>>343893030
gone home is actually pretty hilarious. making a game that's intended to look like a spooky haunted house explorer, and the twist is it turns out to be about a lesbian who left home or something. imagine seeing that after going in without any knowledge of it, i'd probably die laughing.
>>
>>343895363
>Because the only thing you can actually do is give vague, empty and contrarian statements to shit on a game so you look cool?

Strange because a defining trait of this site seems to be praising New Vegas and hating Bethesda Fallout games for the sole purpose of contradicting popular opinion.
That destroys it, to cut someones throat is to remove them from existance, a better phrase would be to "wear out".
>In response to you refusing responsibility over the package that destroyed the Divide. Again, this makes sense in context, he's saying that you getting dragged into the Divide and the responsibility for it is entirely your own fault since you chose to follow his radio message out of curiosity.
This quote is meaningless and pretentious as Ulysses, rather than creating a running sentence, contradicts himself and speaks for the player in an effort to sound profound. He says the player wants to know the "why of it" when the story of the Divide, to the player was unknown.
>Ulysses' whole thing is that clinging to the Old World is bad and has dragged the NCR and Legion into the ground. If the nature of war doesn't change (which is the theme of the whole series) then at the very least men must change and move beyond old symbols and flags. It's basically re-inforcing the ideology behind the faction you chose, with "nothing at all" referring to Wild Card/ Yes Man.
Again it means nothing, how will "men" change? What symbols? Has war changed in the Fallout universe? Every word Ulysses said can be easily converted into something resembling everyday talk rather than something that was read of a script to sound deep.
>>
>>343891848

What does that mean exactly
>>
>>343896485
>>
>>343896485
Game/Devs think the game is something it's not, games that take themselves too seriously etc.
>>
>>343891897
Did you manage to finish it? I'm 4 hours in and only by playing 20 minutes a day because that's all I can stomach.
>>
>>343896848

I got it right then and agree with >>343891897
That musical was pure cringe on every level.
>>
>>343891848
Dear Esther for sure
>>
>>343896485
basically, something that pretends to be deep or contain more knowledge than it actually does

/v/ is dumb and thinks it's a throw-around insult term for any game that tries to have a more intricate story
>>
>>343891848
what was this "game" about?
>>
>>343893030
>free
>on PS+
This is an oxymoron, and yes, you did give them money.
>>
>>343897217
>The Graveyard is a computer art game developed by Belgian developer Tale of Tales in which the player assumes the role of an elderly woman walking through a graveyard to a bench.[2] A song begins to play, after which the elderly woman walks out of the graveyard and the game ends.[1] The difference between the free trial and the full game is that in the full game, every time it is played there is a small chance the elderly woman dies of natural causes.[3]
>>
>>343897396
what
>>
KotOR 2
>>
File: 1462537706091.jpg (65 KB, 604x604) Image search: [Google]
1462537706091.jpg
65 KB, 604x604
>>343897396
>
>>
>>343897396
the fuck
>>
>>343891848
Dragon's Dogma, at times. I mean it barely has any lore except for some superficial stuff but especially near the end it tries to make you believe the lore is ass deep but it just fucking isn't.
>>
>>343893463
>They only did that in the second one
You'll face death, and it won't be pretty.
Enough death to leave you broken, time after time.
>>
>>343897217
it´s a walking simulator, literally
>>
>>343897396
>Tale of Tales
Is this the same company who made the white privilege simulator and shut down because no one bought it?
>>
>>343891884
>>343892239
Be free to dislike or even hate the Souls games. But how are they in any way pretentious?

A notable characteristic of the games happens to be that they don't force the story onto the player much if it all.
The presentation of most of everything in the Souls games has the cavet of "you're free to ignore this. It's fine". That's kind of the opposite of being pretentious.
>>
>>343897803
Yes.
>>
File: [TRIGGERED].gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
[TRIGGERED].gif
2 MB, 500x281
>>343897396
The kind of people who make these kind of games and think they're being deep makes me fuckin mad. You're not a special little snowflake, you just look like an ass.
>>
>>343893339
The thing about that is they only gave it the Prepare to Die monikers and played that up in marketing for the PC port of DaS and beyond. And the reason they did that is because DeS and DaS were lauded by the community as being hardcore death simulators.

So regardless of whether you personally find it to be overblown, it was the masses that made that reputation and all they did was go along with it, and for the unwashed pleb masses that is exactly what the games are. That's not pretentious.
>>
>>343894313
Fuck you nigga that part was hilarious.
>>
File: 20160625180709_1.jpg (367 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160625180709_1.jpg
367 KB, 1920x1080
>>343892478
God, that game was something else.
The world design and how all the environmental puzzles were integrated were phenomenal but for some reason I had the urge to kick some smug "I'm above you" faggot in the balls the whole time I played through it.
>>
>>343892996
>pretentiousness
How can something be pretentiousness when you don't even know what the fuck is going on.

I played it and all I figured out was: Something something jian are bad. Something something betrayal? You're getting attacked. Something something your mentor.

Also brozoufs.
>>
I know of two pretentious games, one bad, and one good.

The good one was this little space-shooter with a catch. All of the enemies were actual files on your computer, and if you killed one, that file was deleted permanently. It had a cute concept, but the maker was clearly sniffing his own farts.

The bad one was this game on newgrounds. It was an action platformer, but if you died, the game played out like a "real life" scenario. The cops show up and arrest the badguy, the dungeon where you died is cleaned up, corded off, and a make shift grave is put there, and if you tried to reload the game, it just reloaded that image with a "There's only one life in life :^)" message.
>>
File: 1459262398441.jpg (28 KB, 600x315) Image search: [Google]
1459262398441.jpg
28 KB, 600x315
>>343895140
>projecting this hard
>>
>>343895930
>>343897301
They can claim revenue from a free download? Well, I guess the only thing left I can do is give it a one-star rating on the store.
>>
File: Dear Esther.jpg (439 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Dear Esther.jpg
439 KB, 1920x1080
>>343891848
SUPERHOT struck me as pretentious.
I liked Dear Esther for the atmosphere/music/voice acting/comfiness, but it seems pretty pretentious in retrospect.

>>343892478
Haven't finished it yet, but THIS.
>>
File: room.jpg (84 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
room.jpg
84 KB, 600x337
Only if
>>
>>343903261
What gem?
>>
>>343896485
Pretentious means "attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed."
What game strikes you as claiming that it is much deeper/smarter/important than it actually is?

For example, a stoner going off about "mysteries of the universe" that he has knowledge of without proof is pretentious.
>>
Fez
>>
>>343894313
>inside
son, at least the puzzles were interesting in the setting...

I mean if you're gonna be artsy, at least it isn't a walking sim
>>
>>343903261
worth it for the ending
>>
>>343899924
>for some reason I had the urge to kick some smug "I'm above you" faggot in the balls the whole time I played through it.

It means you're insecure
>>
>>343897535
This

Still one of my favorite games. I've played it so many fucking times and I still rarely skip dialog
Thread replies: 133
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.