[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you ever played a game which draws almost too much inspiration
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: saltandsanctuary1920x1080.jpg (789 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
saltandsanctuary1920x1080.jpg
789 KB, 1920x1080
Have you ever played a game which draws almost too much inspiration from a different game?
>>
>>343869027
Yes, it's called every fucking indie game ever.
>>
Literally any first person dungeon crawler
They're all different takes on Wizardry
>>
>>343870418
I dunno, with a game like Shovel Knight I understand where the inspirations are coming from, but it does enough to stand on its own and be a somewhat unique game. From what I just played of S&S, I got a lot of Dark Souls save the skill tree and the obvious 2D orientation.

I know we live in a post Souls world, but it really blows my mind as to how blatant a ripoff this is.
>>
>>343869027
>it's like X mixed with Y only not as good

Every single indie game ever made.
>>
>>343869027
singularity
it was basically portal+half life+bioshock
>>
Yes. It's nothing unusual for video games considering that entire genres were made like that. Shoot em ups, fighting games, FPS games, RTS games.
>>
>>343870787
I don't remember Dark Souls having that hideous character design.
>>
>>343871367
I meant more in terms of game mechanics, but yeah, Souls had a great art design. As well as great sound design, game design, and what have you. But you get my point that this game seems to be pantomiming Dark Souls to the best of its ability.
>>
>>343870878
I remember playing this shitty game at a friend's house way back when

I hated that shit
>>
TO be fair Salt and Sanctuary is more of a classic jump and slash platfromer if you play agility classless and get air dash upgrades.
Kinda like playing Zero in X series.
>>
There's not a single original idea in Salt and Sanctuary. There's "inspired by," there's "in tribute," and then there's blatantly capitalizing on a popular franchise by taking it almost word-for-word and frame-for-frame and putting it into a trendy 2D platformer.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD0jKUhXFDI
>>
>>343874108
That's gotta be a parody. Please tell me that's satirical.
>>
One of the few games i regret pirating.
>>
Darksiders.
>>
>>343874170
It's a very serious Ouya exclusive.
>>
>>343869027
Axiom verge, but its pretty good
>>
war for the overworld drew all the wrong inspiration from Dungeon Keeper and the stuff they tried to do themselves (which they should've copied) they completely fucked up. The game was so awful I just refunded it and went back to DK1/2.
>>
Not necessarily too much inspiration, but inspiration from the wrong aspects.

Nearly all MMORPGs. They take WoW's GARBAGE combat and build games entirely around that. They fail to realize WoW was popular before it was even released, with the insane following Warcraft had. People came for the lore, stayed for the social interaction. The combat was good for its time, but I think it's about time devs start trying new things.
>>
>>343875590
American ISPs are holding back MMO development from attempting better combat tho. Some devs try but they all fail, or they make them into smaller scale pseudo MMOs so that americans can play it without lagging like shit.
>>
>>343874914
What is it supposed to rip off, Rockman? Contra?
>>
>>343876394
metroid?
>>
>>343876394
>dat map
>dat purple theme
>dat grotesque boss monster
Metroid.
>>
>>343876475
Halo?
>>
>>343869027
I like this game alot its souls + metroid with some pretty good world map stopped playing at ng++++++
>>
Shit. I got Salt and Sanctuary on the summer sale because a 2D DS game seemed like a fun idea. Did I goof?
>>
>>343874108
>founded keys

that always getted me good
>>
>>343876656
No, it's actually pretty good once you get past the cringe factory of how unoriginal it is.
>>
Hey, Ska Studios.
How are you guys doing?
>>
>>343876656
Nope.
Ripoffs arent always shit
>>
>>343869027
by the time youve decently leveled up your character the combat/fatigue system feels less like a souls game and more like an action platformer

the shoddy art direction and "inspiration" in world design can definitely go tho
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.