[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
real time with pause
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: growlanser2-ps2-1.jpg (71 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
growlanser2-ps2-1.jpg
71 KB, 640x480
What's your opinion on the Real Time With Pause battle system in RPGs? I know a lot of people like turn based and real time battle systems for various reasons, but I don't understand why RTWP is almost universally hated. It offers even finer control over your characters positioning and attacks than a turn based system yet also runs smoother and involves less repeated inputs. What's the downside?
>>
>>343827767
It is the worst part of real time and turn-based, the shittiest of all possible outcomes.
>>
I fucking loved Growlanser Generations, so I like it. The game was unfortunately rather easy to break by midgame with the annoying throwing knife faggot in the first one and the archer + the cute knife thrower in the second one, just stack multihit and +spd buffs on them and hit 30 times a second, but it was still fun.
>>
>>343828395
I would really appreciate it if you could elaborate on that. What does RTWP lack that turn based has? What does RTWP have that detracts from your enjoyment?

>>343828605
Yes, it's unfortunate that Growlanser games are so easy, but I don't see any problem with the battle system itself.
>>
>>343828395
This

Either full action or full turnbased
>>
>>343827767
I've never liked RTwP. Positioning becomes retarded unless you flood the game with annoying mechanics like Pillars of Eternity did, AI is never even remotely as good as it is in turn based, and it's harder to design for.
>>
>>343827767
What the fuck is "real-time with pause"?
>>
>>343829382
The game plays in real time, but you can pause it. The term is kind of a give away, eh?
>>
What's the best RTwP system? Pillars of Eternity?
>>
>>343827767
Only game I played like that was dragon age origins, I really liked it, not sure which other games have the same system.
Baldurs gate perhaps, not sure
>>
>>343827767

I love RTWP, I'll take it over turn based any day.

Are these things in English?
>>
they're usually really simple and not complex at all but still good fun especially compared to a lot of turn based stuff
i enjoy them
>>
>>343832675
If your talking about the game series in the OP, only Generations, 4, and Heritage of War were localized.
>>
>>343833172

Thanks bro
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.