[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Blizzard is suing German company Bossland over its sale of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 11
File: blizz.jpg (94 KB, 768x441) Image search: [Google]
blizz.jpg
94 KB, 768x441
>Blizzard is suing German company Bossland over its sale of an Overwatch cheat program called Watchover Tyrant, which does things like reveal enemy player locations on a radar.
>In the suit, Blizzard says Bossland’s cheats are “continuing to cause, massive and irreparable harm to Blizzard” by violating its copyrights and terms of service, potentially causing players to stop playing Overwatch (or not buy it in the first place) and of doing so with the full knowledge that what they’re doing is illegal.

Based Blizzard. Let's wish them good luck on their lawsuit and may justice reign from above!
>>
They should be sued for unironically using ect
>>
I doubt it will even work.
I mean, if all it took would be to sue groups that sells cheats, they still wouldn't exit in the first place.
>>
>Game is online only
>People are making shit difficult and annoying for people who just want to play the game
>b-b-b-but it's MY gaem that I payed money 4 so i'm gonna do WATEVA i want!!!11 xD

Good, fuck them. I hope Blizzard wins.
>>
>Paying for cheats
Jesus Christ, git gud
>>
>>343820501
>cheat program called Watchover Tyrant, which does things like reveal enemy player locations on a radar
The game already does that far you though.
>>
>>343822868
this
>>
>>343822192
They won the legal process vs glider which then had to pay blizzard 5 million dollars in reparations.

So it can work.
>>
>Trying to stop cheating is now based
>>
>>343822992
>The game already does that far you though.
The worst is, with how american courts work, they could win by saying such stuff.
>>
>>343822992
Which is even worse, fucking people would pay for anything.
>>
>>343823204
>Enabling cheaters is now based
>>
>>343820501
>Blizzard is going all out with their sperge campaign over their casualized shooter
I don't like cheaters as well but Blizzard is acting like the person being wronged is the fair player, and not the retard who buys cheats.
>>
>>343823680
I think he was trying to say that doing things like stopping cheaters shouldn't be praised because it should be common
>>
>there are people who are so unfulfilled with their lives that they have to cheat in video games to have fun
I never understood it.
>>
>>343820501
>>Blizzard is suing German company Bossland over its sale of an Overwatch cheat program called Watchover Tyrant, which does things like reveal enemy player locations on a radar.

that's funny since you can't do anything like that in dota. why is this information revealed to the client unnecessarily in overwatch?

oh, right, it's the same company who coded an int32 overflow exploit loophole into a live real money auction house.
>>
>can't fix their game so cheats won't work
>LOL let's sue these guys instead XD

Americucks.
>>
>>343823908
oh yes that makes sense
carry on
>>
>>343823908
Stopping cheaters should always be praised. companies that lets someone cheat on multiplayer can ruin the game for others, look at GTA5
>>
>>343823204
You should be executed.
I bet you're one of those that think using bots in MMOs is fine.
>>
>>343823908
Well in the world of Valve games, where there is literally zero fucking bans or legal action of any kind, it's nice to see a company actually fucking do something.
>>
>>343824139
Tons of VAC bans were issued recently and people can't sell their expensive hats now.
>>
>widow gets her wallhack in about a minute
>People pay real money for actual wallhacks anyways.
>>
>>343823991
Yeah, then we get DENUVO which is another problem in this already collapsing industry. Great idea.
>>
>>343824139
>Well in the world of Valve games, where there is literally zero fucking bans

? valve vac bans thousands of accounts monthly and there have been times where they blanket banned like 10k people at once when they were suddenly able to detect a cheat
>>
>>343824386
>game industry far healthier than ever and starting to encroach on movies and tv
>"already collapsing industry"

yes people aren't serving you the game you want on the platter so the industry is dying it's anotha shoah
>>
File: 1467277680033.png (200 KB, 800x620) Image search: [Google]
1467277680033.png
200 KB, 800x620
>>343820501
>paying 12.95€ a month in a 40€ game just to be able to cheat
what kind of people would even bother with that?
>>
>>343822653
>Game is online only
So don't make it online only and actually put some fucking effort into the game and include more features and content.
>>
>>343824330
>Tons
It was reported to be a few thousand, and I still see hackers in CSGO and TF2 every single day.

>>343824459
>10k
>Out of millions.
Oh wow, so Valve finally decides to ban a few people that have been cheating on some games for nearly a decade.

Gaben sure is swell.
>>
I'm torn, Blizzard should win because of the Glider precedent, this is another example of tortious interference.

On the other hand, fuck Blizzard.
>>
>>343820501
>Blizzard is suing German company

good for then that its not a Chinese or Russian hackers
>>
>>343824698
Play ESEA
>>
>>343824056
>Stopping cheaters should always be praised
Doing what's expected of you should not obligate praise. You associate shit you should just be doing with getting praise, you won't necessarily be as likely to keep doing it without that praise because its an expected response.
>>
>>343824698
dunno what you're talking about man VAC has always been industry leader at minimizing cheating

people get banned all fucking day in CSGO, theres just bots now that intercept your mouse driver and shit, theres nothing you can do about things like that. theres an extent after which you can no longer beat the hacks, that's why overwatch exists and works well for that purpose.
>>
>>343824576
>game industry far healthier than ever and starting to encroach on movies and tv
You know the vast majority of that revenue comes from mobile games, microtransactions and subscription fees, right? And not sales of retail PC/console games that could use Denuvo?
>>
File: lol.png (50 KB, 632x554) Image search: [Google]
lol.png
50 KB, 632x554
>>343824576
>movies
Yes, I'm sure they are helping the industry a lot. I mean, just look at the Hitman movies and the upcoming Assassins Creed!
What about the new WoW movie? What a blast!
>>
>People paying actually money to be cheat at a video game

holy shit how much of a scrub can you be
>>
>pc gaming

not.even.once
>>
>>343825061
the "vast majority" doesn't, no. but i'm not talking about revenue numbers etc anyway, i'm talking about the quality of shit being produced and its place in society

higher quality gamez are coming out than ever it's not even close whatsoever, but some people will always be doom and gloom cause "muh good ole days"
>>
>>343820501

The fact that hacks keep getting wins in court over copyright violation isn't somethign you should be cheering.

Unless you want a future where all forms of modifying things is a violation of copyright.

Overclock your CPU? See you in court, you violated our copyright when you should have just bought the $100 more expensive version with a higher clock.
>>
>>343823680
>being based is now cheating
>>
>>343822192
The suit is clear and clean

They could and can prevent people from playing and buying the game

That is good enough for any first world court
>>
>>343825072
>I don't understand what "encroach on" means: the post

you could have just asked instead of bothering to make an image and write stuff that i didn't read
>>
>Game has legit wallhacks/aimbots on a short timer
>Better pay 13 bucks a month to hack even more
>>
>>343822868

>Not paying

Jesus Christ get banned the second it hooks the client.
>>
>>343824885
Where talking about a company, a soulless drone where its only goal is to make money. They won't hear one thread on /v/ discussing that it's a good thing that they're doing something that helps the player base.
>>
File: 463.jpg (24 KB, 249x211) Image search: [Google]
463.jpg
24 KB, 249x211
>cheats now require a monthly sub
>>
>>343822192
Laws can be changed via lawsuits in America. You can sue for anything and it's up to the other guy (or the judge if it's frivolous) to get out of it. The process is the punishment, yadda yadda.

No one's tried it before to the best of my knowledge. Suing them acts as a huge deterrent because even if Bossland wins, the legal fees still cost them tons of time and money so people might consider it not worth it to make cheat engines in the future.
>>
>>343825272
you gotta be either a chinese cheater scum, or suffer from a special kind of retardation, either way you are a dumb fuck.
>>
>>343820501
how does cross country sueing work? How do they make sure judges won't lean towards whoever is from their country?
>>
>>343825150
This, do people actually pay for this? I mean hacking is one thing, but PAYING to hack is literally paying to win. No game is ever worth that.
>I suck at this game
>Ill pay a sub fee to make the gameplay non existent
Whats the point? I see people doing this for 20 minutes, having some fun fucking with people and then dropping the game because there is no longer a game to play. They spend the most and get the least out of the game.
>>
>>343823985
>revealed to the client unnecessarily in overwatch?
Because it has to be in order for Widow's ult to work?

Oh sorry, you're just shitposting.
>>
>>343823991
you clearly dont know anything about programming

no software is 100% foolproof
>>
>>343825354
>projections
No need to get upset. Enjoy your videogame movies.
>>
>>343825272
This. Cheating sucks, it makes the game worse, but you should still be free to modify anything on your PC as you wish. And developing software should never be illegal.
>>
>>343824682
online only is basically blizzards "anti-piracy policy" which they had since SC2 got released

still has proven effective as far as I know since the D3 server emulator went to shit
>>
>>343825272
>Fighting hackers will lead to you getting sued for overclocking
Wow, this is a rare case of seeing someone unironically using nothing but slippery slope as his argument.
>>
Don't get me wrong cheaters are scum, but what makes what this company did illegal? The fact that it hurts there business doesn't really seem like a legal argument to me. Writing a negative review of Overwatch hurts their business but that doesn't make it illegal. I remember way back gameshark won a lawsuit against Nintendo for their hacking device so what makes this case different?
>>
>>343825978
The law is based on precedent.
Not him. But you know. If a precedent is set -
>>
File: 1442383546164.png (117 KB, 372x351) Image search: [Google]
1442383546164.png
117 KB, 372x351
>there are people
>on this board
>maybe even this very thread
>that pay to cheat in a video game
>a game they payed for
>>
>>343825252
>the "vast majority" doesn't, no
Yes, the majority of the revenue in the games industry comes from mobile games, microtransactions/DLC and subscription fees, not retail sales.

>http://fortune.com/2016/02/16/video-game-industry-revenues-2015/

>http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-04-22-gaming-will-hit-usd91-5-billion-this-year-newzoo
>>
>>343820501
What a time to be alive, huh?
>>
>>343826152
If a precedent is set, it only affects the thing that is being ruled on. Have you ever actually looked at a court ruling? They're incredibly long and incredibly specific.
>>
>>343825978
Not him, but there are always unintended consequences of legal decisions like that. For example, after Oracle wont their case claiming that APIs can be subject to copyright, now it's dubious whether Wine (the Linux application) is legal or not. Most likely not.

If Blizzard can make the case that cheating software is illegal, then any number of automation software may be caught up along with it. That's not something you should support.
>>
>>343825252
>higher quality gamez are coming out than ever
You mean games missing modes and features they had 10-15 years ago for no reason other than to pad the publisher's bottom line? Better visuals does not equate to higher-quality games.
>>
>>343826421
If you don't know exactly what you're talking about, keep your mouth shut when talking about legal implications.

>On May 26, 2016, the trial jury sided in favor of Google, ruling the action to be fair use

You are literally wrong on every part of your post.
>>
File: terry.jpg (6 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
terry.jpg
6 KB, 300x300
Cheating doesn't really matter since perfect aim is countered by simple cooldowns and OHKs.
>>
>>343826156
>there are people that cant find free cheats
Thats the real crime here.
>>
>>343825939
But you can still include more than online MP in your games and use DRM. Can't have friends over to play, no LAN, it's stupid. I can't do half the shit with these modern shooters I could do with Halo 2 on the fucking original Xbox 12 years ago. Online MP and that's fucking it.
>>
>>343820501
Why this shit and not those chink shit with a hundred more features? Oh wait, they can't.

>tfw you play in the Asian server

Just kill me now.
>>
>>343820501
>cheating in a game with built in wallhack abilities and one hit kill ultimates
>>
>>343826645
Oracle won the case in 2015. Google won the appeal in 2016. The case is not over, and Oracle is appealing. It will most likely go to the Supreme Court. You're not out of the water yet, and my post was to illustrate the unintended consequences that can come with a court ruling like that.

Everything in my post was accurate, and you're a fool to support restrictions on software.
>>
I've seen many game go down under from cheating,
>>
>>343827000
Not even close. Go back to your Wikipedia law degree, kid.
>>
>>343820501
Bossland has been making Diablo and WoW bots for years now. I have a hard time believing that Blizzard is only just noticing now.
>>
>>343824386
>DENUVO
>Problem

How is preventing people from getting games without paying a "problem". So far it only has hurt pirates, it does not hurt people who buy games, you know, the people that help the industry stay alive.
I don't get how pirates will scream about how pirating "does not affect sales" but at the same time will say stuff like "HA the game did not sell well, if only they would have let me have it for free, that would have helped."

There is a reason why devs cater more to consoles, there really is not a pirating problem on consoles compared to PC.
>>
File: 1297493338919.png (47 KB, 211x290) Image search: [Google]
1297493338919.png
47 KB, 211x290
>>343820501
>illegal
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

if business and corporations got their way it would be illegal to put stickers on your laptop

these cucks have nothing
>>
>>343827000
>you're a fool to support restrictions on software

These fags are profiting off an illegal activity. Is Blizzard supposed to just let it be?
>>
>>343824682
putting features and content requires effort, which requires time. time is money, goy. you don't waste time. why? not because your time is precious, but because you're wasting MONEY.
>>
>>343827367
Great rebuttal anon, you sure know what you're talking about.

>>343827492
>Illegal activity
Yeah, the DMCA is an abomination that shouldn't exist. What they are doing may be illegal. I never said it wasn't. I said you shouldn't support the type of legislation that makes that type of thing illegal.
>>
>>343827000
>you're a fool to support restrictions on software.

>yes, good goys, freedom is the key! don't stop people from making money by shitting all over other games.
>it is a mitzvah to help others prosper, even at the expense of your hard work

>>343827735
I'm sorry you're too pathetic to have ever created a valuable idea in your life, but that doesn't mean it's okay to steal and ruin others.

When you get a real education and create something that other people can't, you'll understand intellectual property. Until then, you're pseudo-intellectual, and you might as well be property.
>>
>>343827903
>Support corporatism! Freedom is slavery!
Anon, if you can't respond with anything except verbal abuses, you should reconsider whether you're actually right or just posting out of emotion.
>>
>>343824682
>Game developers should take dev time out to appeal to the 0.0.0.1% of people autistic enough to want singleplayer in an FPS

?????????????????
>>
>>343827735
>the DMCA is an abomination that shouldn't exist
I partially agree in the sense that the way it is enforced can be utter bullshit. But you can't just say people shouldn't support this without providing an alternative. Or are you saying that selling cheats for a multiplayer game is ok and shouldn't be persecuted?
>>
>>343820501
Didn't Blizzard already sue them a bunch of times over other cheats/bots?
>>
Oh how quickly /v/ has forgotten the LMAObox debacle
>>
>>343829019
Hey, I was right. And they even won the lawsuits.
http://www.bossland-gmbh.com/index.html
>>
>>343828587

I don't see why selling cheats should be illegal. If you're a company and you can't detect, prevent, and/or ban cheaters yourself in your own game then you need to step it up.

Of course I'm not defending faggots who buy cheating software, and they should be banned if/when they are caught, but it shouldn't be up to the law to do a company's job for them.
>>
>>343822653

Not the distributor's fault that people buy and use cheats.

>I know I went on a violent, murderous rampage after buying some PCP from a shady drug dealer but it was the drug dealer's fault
>>
>>343820501

You know, I was playing some games with some guy that had a thick accent and was directing the team. We won every game and he knew what heroes the enemy team was as well as where they were. I thought he had a buddy on the other team but I'm now just assuming he bought this cheat.

Does anyone know of any methods to prove that a person is cheating so I can report them? Or do I just report if I suspect someone?
>>
File: 1467608577190.gif (428 KB, 200x183) Image search: [Google]
1467608577190.gif
428 KB, 200x183
>>343830202

The law gets involved when the cheat creators start making money. They're only making money because the game exists and then the copyright law starts to allow all kinds of privileges to the copyright holder.

I honestly don't care what happens as a result of this, but I have to admit, no, everyone HAS to admit that this company has BALLS to keep making these cheats even though they've been sued before.
>>
>>343830202
Pretty much this. If people are cheating in a video game, then there deserves to be consequences in game. You don't track down video game exploiters in real life and nail them to the wall for a virtual crime, you instead remove them from causing harm within the video game.
>>
>>343832157
Perhaps the profits are impossibly huge and that is better than paying back?
>>
File: CastantinNOPlE.png (213 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
CastantinNOPlE.png
213 KB, 360x360
>>343831179
>ifunny
>>
>>343823991
If they did nothing to go against people getting paid to create cheats and just tried updating the game to keep adding more and more "anti-cheat" mechanisms, you either get punk-buster levels of unwarranted bans or just keep getting cheaters as they continue to find exploits
Suing cheaters is a good idea
>>
File: 1462469669580.png (131 KB, 574x478) Image search: [Google]
1462469669580.png
131 KB, 574x478
How much of a loser you have to be to pay for cheats?
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.