[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>games try to appeal to a broader demographic to increase
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 9
File: hl.jpg (7 KB, 97x139) Image search: [Google]
hl.jpg
7 KB, 97x139
>games try to appeal to a broader demographic to increase sells
>this is seen as a bad thing

Why?
>>
>>343770171
The broader something gets, the shallower it becomes
>>
Because nine times out of ten them expanding to get more sales makes the game itself worse overall.
>>
>company gets the IP to a niche series
>"we want to appeal to newcomers."
Thanks Relic
>>
Because Half-Life 2 is vastly inferior to the original game.
>>
File: 1462680481107.png (1 MB, 852x854) Image search: [Google]
1462680481107.png
1 MB, 852x854
>>343770171
>Spending time, resources and money to try and pander to people that might not even play games
>Game itself loses work in areas that actually matter, like good writing, animation, and actual gameplay
>>
>>343770603
Any examples?
>>
>>343770171
>MUH ICING
>>
>>343770853
FEAR
>>
>>343771110
Holy FUCK
Comparing 3 to 1 STILL makes me mad.

>>343770541
But duuuude, DoW 3 looks AWESUUUUUUUUME!
>>
File: 1466911920191.jpg (24 KB, 254x200) Image search: [Google]
1466911920191.jpg
24 KB, 254x200
When a game is made for a niche, it is able to be true to its vision. Being able to do what it sets out to do very well creates a better quality product than trying to make everyone happy, especially when everyone does not want the same things out of said game.

I think one of the worst examples of a niche ips that shat the bed aiming for mass appeal was the Castlevania ip with Lords of Shadow. Pokémon is also the worst it's ever been with tiny overworlds which hide nothing from you and tinier dungeons with barely any puzzles and underleveled boss encounters which take a sparse few minutes to navigate in total

A game that was made for everyone can be fine. Kirby, Spyro, and Animal Crossing are great examples of this. But the casualization of a game that wasn't meant for it will always make it less than it was.
>>
>>343770853
Any Resident Evil past 4.
>>
>>343772068
Why? CODE: Veronica was way goofier than 4
>>
Because normals tend to destroy our favourite niche franchises
>>
File: 1467342363242.png (163 KB, 413x451) Image search: [Google]
1467342363242.png
163 KB, 413x451
>>343772231
You can't seriously be trying to make a case for 5 and 6 being shitty action games and dropping the horror completely.
>>
>>343770853
Mass Effect 3
but at least the multip was decent
>>
>>343770171
it waters down the original product and hurts pre-existing fans
>>
>>343770171
Because it sacrifices features that provide depth for those that make it easier to play.

>>343770364
Not always.
>>
>>343772528
>implying RE wasn't allways a B-Movie action flick

the only one that still tries to salvage some horror is the remake of 1 anon, come on

>>343772536
>hurts pre-existing fans

Do you know that you are nothing more than a customer to them right? They are trying to make money, not to please your dick

Entitled fans are one of the worst cancer in gaming
>>
>>343770171
Because they happily alienate their existing consumer base in the process, and don't seem to care.
>>
File: 1453003916244.jpg (22 KB, 476x456) Image search: [Google]
1453003916244.jpg
22 KB, 476x456
>>343772769
You

You literally just made the same point he did in a different format.

Am I being rused?
>>
File: 1417547048008.gif (19 KB, 268x263) Image search: [Google]
1417547048008.gif
19 KB, 268x263
>>343770171
Why did OP post a Mawman?
>>
>>343770853
Devil May Cry maybe?
>>
>>343772836
You sound like a pretty cancerous entitled fan yourself, faggot. Why do you feel entitled to every ip changing to suit a broader audience? This shit is terrible for games dude, all of the new Castlevania and Silent Hill games are Pachinko machines.
>>
>>343772836
>Entitled
Too obvious
>>
>>343773512
More like it's their decision and if the game ends up being shit it's their fault

I'm not going to lose sleep over it
>>
>>343770171
Because it prioritizes superficial appeal over quality, when superior quality has its own undeniable appeal.

It shows the readiness to betray your art for profit which automatically makes the piece less good than it could be.
>>
>>343770171
OH GOD HELP ME
>>
>>343772528
6 had some nice moments when you're escaping zombie city. was like playing RE outbreak
>>
>>343772836
>Do you know that you are nothing more than a customer to them right?
No, this is not the case for people who make games as their passion, to them the fans are likeminded individuals first, customers second.
>>
>>343772836
>Do you know that you are nothing more than a customer to them right? They are trying to make money, not to please your dick
You contradict yourself; if they do not please their customers they don´t get their money.

Stop posting, you are not intelligent to contribute to this thread.
>>
>>343770171

because they almost always fail, and all it does is cause actual fans to abandon the game. But you know this already
>>
>>343774228
>missing the point
I'm talking about the idiots who feel betrayed when games try to appeal to casuals who find the game fantastic
>>
>>343770853
look at the fucking new god of war
>>
>>343770171
YOUR ICING?
>>
>>343773789
It's not usually the developer's decision, anon. They have an idea for a great game, they start working on it, then they have to present it to marketing to have it be picked apart and told they need to change this that and the other thing in order to appeal to a wider audience/lower the difficulty for newcomers.
>>
Because most of the time, it involves taking what was great or worked fine in the original, and dumbing it down/gutting it, as well as cutting/minimizing plot threads and continuity if its a sequel, all to try and attract people who were never interested in the game/series in the first place. In the end, it usually just makes an inferior product, at the expense of those that actually liked it and enabled the sequel to be made in the first place.
>>
>>343770171
>oh hey, this game was critically acclaimed for being unique and fresh, and while it didn't sell 10 million copies, it managed to earn a dedicated following
>what should we do for the sequel?
>oh I know, let's scrap everything that made it unique, homogenize it and make it catter to the CoD audience!

Timeskip to a few months post release

>well, it seems the CoD audience bought the new CoD instead of our game, and our old fanbase got so angry at the changes that we sold even less than the first game
>whatever, bury the IP, we might be able to reboot it in 6 years or something
>>
>>343775048
Name one game where the change was THIS drastic anon
>>
>chase after profits so hard, you reduce the quality of your product and have fewer customers

Welcome to Business 101.
>>
>>343775246
Mirrors Edge.
>>
>>343772769
>copying a post while saying you disagree with it
Eh?
>>
File: dragon age 2.png (30 KB, 787x271) Image search: [Google]
dragon age 2.png
30 KB, 787x271
>>343775246
>>
Jack of all trades, master of none

This Is what killed the horror genre and a killing others .
Tbh you can't even call corporations like EA and Ubisoft evil and greedy, if they were evil it would imply they knew how to effectively make money . They are just greedy and the only way to make games that suck the money from everyone's wallet is to make it as "massively appealing" as possible
>>
>>343770171
they try to broaden the demographic then piss off the fans and casuals still won't buy so they lose both ways
>>
>>343775246
Star Wars Galaxies
>>
YAAAAAABBAAAAA
MY ICING
WHAUUUURRRRRG
>>
The only thing that annoys me more than this is when a niche title gets rushed out unfinished to compete with a much bigger game.
>>
>>343775246
Battlefield series
Call of Duty series ironically
Castlevania series
Dead Space 3
GTA series
Fallout 4 is not debatable
Skyrim
>>
>>343770853
Fallout 4
>>
>>343770603
>>343770853
>Any examples

Mass Effect 3 couldn't create three separate ending and instead used the same assets for each with different colors...

But they managed to animate and write a romanceable Jessica Chobot character.
>>
>>343770171
There's nothing inherently wrong in trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator, but when you start out with a somewhat niche title with vast depth, complex systems and a smarter audience in mind then switch gears to pander to casuals, it's a step backwards and you can see where people then become upset.

Diablo 3, for example, is widely regarded as one of the most disastrous launches in gaming history, and having not lived up to its predecessors despite currently sitting near the top of the all time game sales charts due to grabbing that lowest common denominator mass appeal.

Skyrim is another good example of this. Yea, the game is huge and pretty and more successful than ever, but it's fairly shallow compared to the experiences of its predecessors due to the dumbing down of systems and simplifying of quests and dungeons to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Nobody complains about Call of Modern WarHalo: Black Cops 14, AssCreed, Grand Theft Auto V, etc. though, because those games all had very shallow systems to begin with and haven't yet taken a step backwards.
>>
>>343776562
>romanceable Jessica Chobot character.
Holy shit, I forgot about that.
>>
>>343776562
>But they managed to animate and write a romanceable Jessica Chobot character.
from what I hear that's quite a feat. it takes a lot of work to add animations and character models for female characters!
>>
>>343776726
didn't it end up looking like snookie?
>>
>>343770171
Because it almost always ends up shafting the original fans by making the story more accessible (removing/retconning important shit and loose ends), dumbing down the gameplay, or introducing gimmicks that make the game lose what made it good.
>>
>>343770853
Zero Time Dilemma
>>
Dilution, pandering, and stripping of any novelty or character.

That you don't readily understand this shows you're part of the problem. Even when you are provided with the conditions to understand it, you still probably won't abstract it to the general case and you'll keep your little realization in a neat little box in its neat little vacuum, because you're too stupid to form a meaningful worldview.

Also, fuck you + get out. Or go play The Lost Vikings and Streets of Rage. Maybe this will cure you of your myopia and general retardation.
>>
>>343770171
It's making a game more bland by compromising artistic integrity to sell the game to a wider audience. Anything potentially odious to consumers has to be modified away or else it will potentially alienate them.
>>
>>343770171
Because that is just fancy talk for making a game easier and less complex.
>>
>>343770171
if you dont understand why dumbing down art to sell more of it, you dont deserve to post on my board
>>
File: social-share.jpg (203 KB, 1200x628) Image search: [Google]
social-share.jpg
203 KB, 1200x628
>>343770853
Well...

Aside from that joke, I'd like to add Dead Rising 3 to the list. From what I've heard it really seems like it suffered from the old "dumbed down and made easier to cater to a broader audience!" bullshit.
>>
>>343776734
You dumb mother fucker.
>>
>>343772530
ME2 was the game that ruined the series by trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator though.

>ME2 is good s-seriously
Hate this meme. Just because you played it when you were 15 and thought it was good doesn't mean it was. ME3 was better than ME2 and that's really saying something.
>>
>>343776142
Fucking /thread

"Oh hey guys, this is one of the most unique MMOs ever possibly conceived. How do we get more sales?"

"Let's take out everything that made it unique and turn it into a shitty WoW clone!"

"Sounds good, what else?"

"Let's give everybody jedi from the get go! Fuck everyone who actually earned it!"

"Love it. Push it through the day of our newest expansion."
>>
Did Mirror's Edge 2 fuck everything up, in strict accordance with my preconceived notions of how things work?
>>
File: world-of-warcraft.jpg (149 KB, 800x444) Image search: [Google]
world-of-warcraft.jpg
149 KB, 800x444
I would actually consider WoW to be probably the most famous example of this exact thing, and WHY it's a bad thing. Has anyone mentioned that yet?

Same with Diablo 3, but I know someone already brought that up here.
>>
>>343782687
>you have to UNLOCK the fast
You know it, baby.
>>
Never forget those dark days where it seemed like every other dev was saying

>We want the Call of Duty audience

in interviews.
>>
>>343770853
World of Warcraft
>>
>>343770171
Because it can alienate the loyal fanbase that you already have.

But you already knew that and this is a bait thread and I have been thoroughly tricked.
>>
If my job was making burgers and I did it well, and then one day my job became making burgers, hot dogs, fried veggies, brisket, pies, sausages, fries chicken, and sushi, would the quality of all of these things match the quality of the burger, or would the quality of the burger drop to match the quality of the other things?
>>
>>343775382
>doesn't matter these chumps would pay to eat shit heh heh heh
>>
>Game trys to yabba your icing
>this is seen as a bad thing
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.