[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
At what point in time did Kojima embrace just making nonsensical
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9
At what point in time did Kojima embrace just making nonsensical plots and 2deep4u writing in his games? Did it start post MGS1 or even earlier?
>>
>>343713624
He saw 2001: a space odyssey again.
But this time it'll be undersea
>>
File: 2345724587.png (1 MB, 1280x719) Image search: [Google]
2345724587.png
1 MB, 1280x719
>>343713624
He just trying to be Miyazaki but he himself doesn't understand what he's writing.
>>
>>343713624
He will show us videokino.
>>
File: 1466186300286.jpg (20 KB, 530x218) Image search: [Google]
1466186300286.jpg
20 KB, 530x218
>>
>>343713624
The problem with Kojima is he tries 2deep4u shit which is legitimately a fine way to structure a story but ends up with just dumb convoluted plots.
>>
>>343713624
>>
>>343713907
I'm pretty sure Miyazaki doesn't understand what he's writing. He drunkenly writes something down in Japanese, an Anglo reads it back to him in English, and since he can't understand English for shit, he just nods and continues.

Dark Souls is entertaining but they are nonsensical stories from an illiterate madman. It's like if one of Charlie Kelly's dream books got translated and published.
>>
>>343713624
You gotta realize, Kojima wants to make movies.

As in, he REALLY wants to make movies. He loves American movies, and wants to make stuff exactly like them.

Except he himself only has the vaguest sense of what American movies are and try to be. Kojima's entire view of the western entertainment world is viewed through this lens of foreign detachment and a lot gets lost in translation.

It's clear from very early on that he's got the structure of the American blockbuster down pat. Go play Policenauts (Lethal Weapon in space), or Snatcher (Blade Runner but more Blade Runner) and you can tell, he's very good at getting the aesthetics and general atmosphere right, which makes sense, because those are the two things it's easiest to translate between cultures and languages.

When he starts actually trying to add stuff to his games, that's when you run into issues. He mistakes complexity for depth, which is so easy, people who actually fucking live here get that wrong all the damn time too.

Basically, he's a shitty writer, but it's only half his own fault.
>>
>studio releases trailer that shows no gameplay
>/v/: BOO HISS THIS IS BULLSHIT WHAT IS THE GAME EVEN LIKE WHERE'S THE FUCKING GAMEPLAY?
>Kojima releases trailer that shows no gameplay
>/v/: HURRAY BASED KOJIMA I'M PREORDERING RIGHT FUCKING NOW

What the fuck is wrong with you people?
>>
Did the teaser remind anyone of xenogears opening?
>>
File: Nightman_Dyslexia.jpg (10 KB, 291x236) Image search: [Google]
Nightman_Dyslexia.jpg
10 KB, 291x236
>>343714673
>>
>>343714319
GUYS IM NOT KIDDING, GO CHECK THE VIDEO AND LOOK FOR WHEN THIS SCENE IS HAPPENING-
KOJIMA'S FACE LITERALLY APPEARS RIGHT NEXT TO REEDUS
>>
File: BB DLC Ending.png (668 KB, 1278x718) Image search: [Google]
BB DLC Ending.png
668 KB, 1278x718
>>343714673
Demon Souls and Dark Souls 1 for him was a much more personal experience. Trying to recreate that is obviously going to fail, especially in the same universe.
Bloodborne turned out amazing though, aside from the chalice dungeons.
>>
>no one saw this shit coming with fucking SNATCHER eons ago

he started being a giant faggot long ago
you stockholm syndrome cuckfucks are only just NOW seeing it, christ
>>
>>343714673
Miyazaki knows english.
He reads western myth books and writes it back in Japanese in what he thought he was reading but it actually turns into gold.
>>
>>343714729
this.
>>
>>343714673
Das1's story was horseshit til the DLC but the other games are fine
>>
>>343714729

What's with failed script writers and directors flocking to video games?
>>
>>343714673
The disconnect in those games is because he read English fantasy novels in his formative years, but couldn't completely understand it, so he just made his own headcannon. This experience he transplanted into his videogames.
>>
>>343714319
Why doesn't Kojimmer just get into the film industry? He's obviously pretty bored of doing games.
>>
File: 19699-the-smurfs-angery-smurf.jpg (70 KB, 895x892) Image search: [Google]
19699-the-smurfs-angery-smurf.jpg
70 KB, 895x892
>>343714741
>>
File: 1467008108177.jpg (45 KB, 395x600) Image search: [Google]
1467008108177.jpg
45 KB, 395x600
He reads or watches weird shit and decides he wants to make a game about. Peacewalker was inspired by Che, MGSV was inspired by 24 and word is that Death Stranding was inspired by this.
>>
File: I wasnt molested by my father.jpg (334 KB, 1301x1630) Image search: [Google]
I wasnt molested by my father.jpg
334 KB, 1301x1630
Is this normal? Most people I've seen shirtless at the beach, fuck off are like the guy on the second picture
>>
>>343714673
how the fuck did everybody get the Souls guy from this? Seems Kojima would more be trying to imitate Hayao Miyazaki, you know, the movie maker who was around before Kojima was.
>>
>>343715464
low standards, tons of games don't even have stories.
>>
>>343716456
He has more muscle than most skinny boys. Also, if you're an alcoholic, your organs tend to expand around those areas, even if you're fit. Could be the case.
>>
>>343716456
Yeah, my chest is like Norman Reedus'. It's just a slightly protruding ribcage.
>>
>>343714673
Miyazaki's writing didn't jump off the deep end until Dark Souls 2, where sitting in a chair was quality writing in his opinion.
>>
>>343716749
Well for one it states explicitly that in the post you're quoting.
And two, he's trying to imitate American film makers, just like Hidetaka tries to imitate fantasy novelists... And not make retarded cartoons.
>>
>>343716456
Its called abdominal muscles. Thats what normal people have in place of a belly made of cheetos and cola.
>>
>>343719391
Because the other guy is total fat fuck. Go get some glasses, faggot.
>>
>>343714673
I think anon was referring to the Miyazaki of Studio Ghibli, not From's Miyazaki.

From Software's Miyazaki and Hideo Kojima have such different storytelling methods that they just can't be compared.
>>
>>343717046
Norman definitely went through an alcoholic phase before becoming the redneck-teenage-girl's heartthrob. His acting career was very much in the toilet for a while.
>>
>>343717479
I mean just look at all the different responses. Everyone has different ideas of when it was good/when it was bad. He might do a documentary or something, explaining his thought process on things. But for the moment every game (or part of a game) seems to have it's own bastion of fans.
>>
>>343721364
How are Kojima and Hayao Miyazaki even comparable, though?
>>
>>343721959
they don't have much in common but they both use a more cinematic approach to storytelling (hayao because he makes movies, kojima because he tries to make movie like games) while Midetaki or whatever his name was is more about piecing things together from environmental storytelling and item descriptions.
>>
>>343721959

Yeah I'm not seeing it. Hayao might place a heavy emphasis on themes, but that's just his style. Kojima has always been somewhat vague.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.