[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I know it isn't a new idea, but I'm working on a video
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6
File: JotaroWStarPlatinum.png (371 KB, 427x500) Image search: [Google]
JotaroWStarPlatinum.png
371 KB, 427x500
I know it isn't a new idea, but I'm working on a video game where one of the plot points is that characters have what are essentially stands (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure) assisting them in battles. I want these stand-like entities to mirror some sort of psychological component of the characters they are with, conscious or subconscious (Persona). These stands also have unique abilities, also very much like Jojo.They are going to be mostly humanoid in shape, and they will talk and have their own distinctive conversations, dialogue and motives, but ultimately they're still bound to their user.

Here's my question: how can I distance myself from this idea to the point where I'm not just straight-up copying these anime tropes? Can you guys think of any other games where characters receive their power from other-world allies like this? I honestly can't think of any others off the top of my head.
>>
File: smughusbando.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
smughusbando.png
1 MB, 1280x720
>>343690846
Die Cuck
>>
You have no talent and won't finish a game. If you do, it'll be shovelware trash. Ironically, you'll still treat yourself like a real developer though.
>>
File: 1465175723696.jpg (207 KB, 408x640) Image search: [Google]
1465175723696.jpg
207 KB, 408x640
>>343690846
>how can I distance myself from this idea to the point where I'm not just straight-up copying these anime tropes?
How about you come up with your own idea instead.
>>
There are no original ideas anymore, just go for it but don't blatantly copy it
>>
>>343690846
if they look different enough from Jojo stands, nobody will even care

not even these cucks
>>343691253
>>343691367
>>
>I want to go for this idea
>its literally a ripoff of these two ideas already
>how do i make it without it being a ripoff?

you don't.

But i love persona and JoJo so if its half decent I'll play it. I'm a pretty good writer if you ever need a writer to speak with.
>>
I've also played with this concept, OP. An idea I had was being able to tie their powers to a character's personality. How you do this is up to you.
>>
>>343691468
I completely agree with this. I've accepted at this point that there are basically no new good ideas, only permutations of ones that already exist. That's fine, I just want to combine things in a creative way, if that makes sense.

To anyone who doubts this idea, think about when you wanted to learn how to do a creative thing. Drawing? You probably started off by copying some anime or something until you had the basics down.

>>343691574
My personal problem with that is that there are a kajillion different stands in Jojo, so I feel like if I made any thing it would be compared to something (example: big dude who punches fast? Must be Star Platinum) You're probably right though, I just don't want to copy things by accident if I can help it.

>>343691367
nah
>>
>>343692280
>My personal problem with that is that there are a kajillion different stands in Jojo, so I feel like if I made any thing it would be compared to something (example: big dude who punches fast? Must be Star Platinum) You're probably right though, I just don't want to copy things by accident if I can help it.
then put your personal spin on it

for example, if I wanted to make a """stand""" that's a big dude who punches fast, I'd give him some mechanical contraption as an arm that just shoots forward really damn fast or something like that

and then you just make him look different enough from star platinum and nobody will even know you ever thought of star platinum
>>
>>343690846
Make the stands little girls. Bam.
>>
>>343692698

This, add cute girls.
>>
>>343692698
The obvious answer under my nose. I'd play the fuck out of this as long as the girls are cute. You should just give up in that case though.
>>
>>343692698
>On the inside everyone is a cute loli
This is the true form of the human subconscious
>>
File: 557r.jpg (43 KB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
557r.jpg
43 KB, 853x480
>>343692547
It's simple, but this honestly sounds like the best way to look at things, thanks. I've already got ideas and even rough renders in 3D and on paper for something like this and I've put enough different ideas into this guy to make it seem unique.

It's sort of like how nobody really cares that Jojo's stand started off by copying Fist of the North Star, which was basically copying Bruce Lee. Even if somebody recognizes that you're using somebody else's idea, I think the amount of unique attributes you give to the thing can make the difference between it being seen as tribute or as plagiarism.
>>
>>343693145
now that that's out of the way

make an H.R. Giger stand
>>
File: 1456473559636.png (257 KB, 224x414) Image search: [Google]
1456473559636.png
257 KB, 224x414
I never get a chance to use this.
Thanks OP.
>>
this sounds good but remember to go off the rails with the stands
like stands that are suits in part 5 and swords in part 3
fuck even make a chainsaw that tries to pick up women whenever possible and has the ability to make its user go apeshit and run like 20mph while revving it
like go nuts
>>
>>343692698
I'm planning on adding girls at some point (I'm really shitty at integrating female characters, one of my weakest points as a writer), but I do have an idea for a side character who's really effeminate and he can bring the player back from a game over via healing. He'd be gay for the main character but he'd never outright say it.

I have more development put into it then this of course, I'm just paranoid that people are going to take my ideas at all times. Even if they're sometimes shitty.
>>
>>343690846
Have them ve literally extensions of the souls. No special anime-y powers, just projecting your soul to a distance to fight an entity. Whatever powers your cast has normally, their stand has too.
>>
File: 1447201353916.jpg (133 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1447201353916.jpg
133 KB, 500x500
If you are gonna copy something.
It better be fucking better than the original.
>>
>>343693475
so whats the deal with diesel anyway, there has to be some interesting history with that shit.
>>
>>343693726
are you a better man than your dad?
>>
>>343694046
I'm not a copy of my father.
Learn genetics.
>>
>>343690846
>They are going to be mostly humanoid in shape, and they will talk and have their own distinctive conversations, dialogue and motives, but ultimately they're still bound to their user

Sounds like Tokyo Mirage Sessions.
>>
>>343694169
his "stands" aren't exact copies of jojo stands either

your point?
>>
>>343690846
>how can I distance myself from this idea to the point where I'm not just straight-up copying these anime tropes?
You can't. So just accept it, embrace it, and try to add something new.

If you're making these "Stands" separate characters but bound to the human cast, maybe try something like this:
The humans and Stands come from different worlds/universes/realms/whatever, and are cosmically linked/paralleled for [reason]

Maybe the Stand and human are connected through a common trait rather than being "the same entity" as it were. Maybe the protagonist happens to be linked to the ultimate villain through a mutual experience or personality quirk, and we don't really see the difference between them until it's too late.

If I were doing a Stand story, I would make the Stand an integral part rather than just a glorified weapon.
>>
>>343694260
How do you know? Have you ever seen them?
>>
>>343694173
>Tokyo Mirage Sessions
I actually want to get this but I don't really have time to play the thing.

Also, I fucking hate that title "Tokyo Mirage Sessions" Those last two words are a fucking tongue twister. Try saying them fast.
>>
>>343694353
he literally says so in this thread

did you even bother reading it before posting?
>>
Weren't the aliens from the Megaman Starforce games like stands? They talked and had their own personalities too, if its good enough no one will really care.
>>
>>343694489

>>343690846
>I'm working on a video game where one of the plot points is that characters have what are essentially stands (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure)

>Not a copy

Please get some reading comprehension and then kill yourself
>>
>>343694353
> He's not even a stand user
Look at this fucking pleb
>>
>>343693145
They could all even be something as simple as different ifrits that the characters have pacts with
>>
> Pokemon

Does this count? You're getting your power from a being separate to you that you are in control of.
>>
>>343690846

You're making it too complicated by having the stands being able to talk and have "motives" (I thought they were subconscious?)
The reason Persona and Jojo do well already is because, just by looking at the stand you can get an idea of what the person is like. And you get a better idea when you delve into the character of the Host.
By giving the host a Stand that can talk back and converse, you're essentially having your characters talk to themselves and no growth would come of it because they would just be agreeing or disagreeing with their own ideas. Its confusing, plot hole ridden, and wouldn't work well in writing.
>>
>>343694353
>HE CAN'T SEE OP'S STANDS
LOOK AT THIS MAN AND LAUGH
>>
>>343693145
>It's sort of like how nobody really cares that Jojo's stand started off by copying Fist of the North Star, which was basically copying Bruce Lee.

FotNS also copies Mad Max, his outfit in your pic is literally anime version of Max's outfit.
>>
Isn't Persona basically Jojo part 4?
Not that I would know tho, I've never played Persona, and I only just recently got into Jojo.
>>
>>343690846
I think you could most definitely pull it off if you do something that's unique from a design standpoint.

Like what Persona and Jojo lack is solid character themes.

If you design a stand which looks similar to the user or the user's personality whilst maintaining a creativeness to them without going too far I'd think you could set yourself apart from the trope well enough for it to be a bit more unique.
>>
>>343694864
I totally get what you're saying and I basically agree with it. I just have to remember that the entities separate to the user are secondary and always secondary, and the user's feelings and development should be put before everything else.

When I say "motives" I mean really simple shit. Like "I want to rule the world" or "I'm tired I don't want to fight right now" or something. Just some means of being able to create a back and forth dialogue.

Just thinking out loud here. It really could go a number of different ways.
>>
>>343695217
Serial killer in small town, and beings that are controlled by users giving them special powers.
>>
>>343695217
Kinda sorta but mostly Persona 4
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.