[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Spec ops: the line
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 9
File: Spec_Ops_The_Line_cover.png (252 KB, 300x367) Image search: [Google]
Spec_Ops_The_Line_cover.png
252 KB, 300x367
Is this game actually good or is it just pretentious garbage? Currently 5€ on steam so I'm tempted to buy it
>>
>>343622253

Gameplay is your basic whack-a-mole cover shooter without any elements that might make it more interesting.

The only thing people praise is the story. If you don't give a fuck about that then it's shit.
>>
It's crap. Shit, hamfisted story. That comes first because its what people praise for some reason. Ugly visuals, boring level design and completely uninspired gameplay.
>>
>>343622502

Pretty much, the story is awesome but it's not worth playing through the complete generic third person game to experience it. Just watch it online.
>>
Story is pretty good and is a quite different experience to anything else. Gameplay lets it down though and just makes everything inbetween the story boring as hell.
>>
>>343622253

the gameplay is standard. So standard that if somebody were to make a tutorial on how to make a TPS for beginners for Unity or some shit, this game would be what they would use as a template.

Story is decent, aptly handled twist on the "gung-ho white dude tries to do good" plot by making him fuck up everything But I'm a sucker for this kind of edge, but the overall message can come off preachy.
>>
>>343622253
play it on the hardest difficulty. Let the rage flow through you. Become the spec ops the line

Its a traditional 3rd person shooter with duck and cover mechanics, but its pretty solid. Play it for the story.

>>343622545
dont listen to this guy, hes a massive memer.
>>
>>343622253
Grab it, it's a blast! The story will fuck you up a bit though.
>>
>>343622253
Don't listen to the nay sayers. If you're looking for third person cover shooter with a good story filled with tweests then this is your game. Its a one and done type of game so don't go in expecting replay ability.
>>
>>343623334
>replayability comes from the cruel difficulty

Just it will ruin your day at least 30 times
>>
File: 1463977904763.jpg (83 KB, 746x982) Image search: [Google]
1463977904763.jpg
83 KB, 746x982
Do you feel like a hero yet?
>>
I was talking to my friend about this game, and he brought up some pretty valid points as to why this game is actually really good.

The gameplay is really basic because it's trying to emulate how every first person shooter that comes out these days play the same and don't try to do anything different. I didn't check to see if this was true, but he said that you couldn't change the controls around much so that you feel awkward and uncomfortable throughout the whole game to compliment the story. The music makes you feel all pumped but anxious about what's currently happening. Plus the fact that you're killing your own allies shows how mindless it is in every other game where you mow down hundreds and hundreds of people of different militaries, races, etc., and at first you hesitate to do it in this game but end up killing hundreds of American soldiers, too. The part with the white phosphorus shows the on rails aspects of a lot of campaigns and how you're forced to do shit you don't want to do or that you regret later on. And the fact that there a lot of different role playing choices throughout the game including the ending shows how little it all matters in the end, because when it's all said and done, you still ended countless lives.

I love the gradual degradation of Walker's mind, including hearing Konrad's voice and a lot of hallucinations including the two dudes hanging on the highway sign and the juggernaut in that building with the flashing lights. It's a fun but unnerving campaign that a lot of spergs on /v/ like to bitch about because of "muh white phosphorus" and "the only way to win is to not play". Play the game and make your own opinion if you haven't already.
>>
>>343623174
>play it on the hardest difficulty
NO
Just don't
FUBAR mode is one of the most tedious shit ever. Certain moments feel like they were never playtested with FUBAR in mind.

I did beat FUBAR
>>
>>343622253
standard 3rd person shooter gameplay, nothing special but quite solid.
setting is pretty unique.
story is actually good if don't think of it as an rpg where your decisions matter but more like a movie where you live through the actors experience.
5 bucks is definitely worth it.
>>
>>343622253
pretentious garbage, don't buy this shit.
>>
>>343623797
how can you complain when you actually finished it on fubar? It takes a bit of luck, but that luck is just fully manifested rage that just forces you magically to get good. Its like a simulated PTSD induced rage that gets you through it. Which i think is another aspect of the game that adds to this >>343623624
Fubar is the only way to play.

that being said, i wouldnt play through it twice on fubar lolol
>>
for 5 whatever that is?

hell yeah, it's worth it
>>
it's fucking garbage

it has a nice idea with bad execution, every choice is manipulative and has no background on whatever character you're saving or not saving and then has a few "lol did we shock you enough" tearjerker moments for the sake of it

if it had good gameplay or whatever it could be excused, but that's the worst part, it's close to unplayable
>>
>>343623931
this turd is like 5 or 6 hours long, 5 or 6 hours of a boring, generic, bland tps with a "muh feeling " crap ending.

Fuck this, and fuck you.
>>
>>343623624
Also forgot to add the fact that Nolan North voices the main character, who also voices a shit ton of other characters in a shit ton of different games, calling them out on how they're all the same.
>>
Undertale had the same idea and much better execution. Unironically. This game is bad.
>>
>>343622253
My favorite part was how progressively bad ass walker looked and acted as the game went on.

One of the few shooty games where you began to feel more of a bad ass without actually making the MC more powerful.
>>
>>343624081
and with choices that actually matter
>>
>>343624040
uh alright then
>>
its just the heard of darkness/apocalypse now, but a videogame instead of a book/movie.

literally the only reason why anyone gives a shit about it is because they're uncultured swine that think it's being original. gameplay is run of the mill cover TPS.

because of the nature of source material, game's gimmick is no matter what you do, everything will turn to shit with there being no way to properly "win". The justification by edgy neckbeards is "hurr you should have stopped playing" as if that's actually a valid argument after you drop money on a GAME.
>>
>>343624010
>>343624204
why should the choices matter

shoot the dude that stole water, shoot the soldier that did his job and kill or shoot the snipers. Extra people die regardless

shoot the CIA agent in the head, or let him burn to death. The dude dies and Walker helped people die for dehydration

you kill the people that lynched lugo to death or you don't. Lugo died because of Walker regardless. Extra civilians die if you decide to take revenge
>>
>>343622253
no. the game FORCES you to make "hard" morale choices and calls YOU the monster for doing it anyway despite not having a say in the matter. and trust me, once you finish it you'll never play it again. the gameplay is generic and bland and isnt enough to warrant another playthrough.

not even for the shitty multiplayer thats probably long dead by now
>>
>>343624323
m8 it's a on rails shooter, not a full fledged "you can do everything" rpg
>>
>>343624323
the difference is that apocalypse now is actually a good movie

and spec ops a bad vidya game.
>>
Buy it, you will enjoy it. Just think it's kind of stupid how they force you to perform certain actions, even though you clearly don't want to, and then the game is all like "Why would you do that? You monster.". It really gets on your nerves, besides that it's pretty good for a shooter
>>
>>343623624

>the gameplay is shit because they meant it to be

Doesn't change the fact that it's still bad.
>>
Man the back-lash for this game has been really really harsh, /v/ actually seemed to like this game when it came out. But now every thread turns into this one. Why is that?
>>
>>343622253
it does some stuff really cool
very fun 6 hour ride imo
>>
So many butthurt call of duty fans in here.
It's a generic shooter with a really good story. It's more a deconstruction of the shooter genre, but it's definitely worth a play through.
>>
>>343624486
>besides that it's pretty good for a shooter

your standard must be pretty low to call this shit a good shooter, what a bout the uninspired level design? Scripted event up the ass? "Press space to do anything" system because this crap was designed to be played with a fucking gamepad?
>>
It's a really neat game, the gameplay isn't anything special but it's not terrible either.
I thought it was a good experience with a lot of attention to details, definitely worth 5 bucks or at the very least pirating.
Play it while exhausted for maximum immersion.
>>
>>343623624
>unnerving campaign

I guess if you've only played video games all your life this might be accurate, but for everyone that actually watches war films, Spec Ops is tame as hell.
>>
>>343624628
What the fuck are you going on about even?
>>
Ignore the 4th wall loading screens.
Don't self insert as Walker.
Congratz, you now have a game that depicts a character slowly going batshit very well.
>>
>>343624715
it's even worse if you watch documentary about war """""""ethics """""" and propaganda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJh_7Xjq1ek

spec ops sound like a joke in front of the reality
>>
Only truly good thing are some details changing along as the game progresses.

Like Walker's squad commands and executions getting more and more brutal as the game progresses. It's pretty neat.

If the game was good, this could be the detail to push it over the top.
>>
>>343624802
>Don't self insert as Walker.
that's pretty much what it boils down to.
And somehow a shitload of autists here are simply unable to do so.
>>
>>343624715
I liked the campaign purely based on the progression of Walker's reactions to shit.
>His character model gets more and more fucked up as the game goes on
>When you use the command for one of your squadmates to take out an enemy, it slowly changes from "frag that charlie" to "Fucking kill that bastard"
>After Lugo dies, if you try to use the "kill that nigga" command on a long range target (which is the type Lugo engaged), Walker will call out for Lugo despite him being dead
>Executions start off quick and clean Mozambique drill style, but later on become more brutal, with Walker kneecapping soldiers before emptying three more rounds into their chests
>>
>people in this thread deluded into thinking that third/first person shooters in general isn't a tired old shitty genre that had no innovation for almost a decade

Spec Ops the Line is on par with Call of Battlefield garbage in levels of generic design, except that this game is trying to make you feel bad for virtual shit that the game forced you to do afterwhich it bullies you with "you could've chose to switch off this shitty game senpai"
Modern shooters fucking suck. This game sucks.
>>
Pretentious garbage.
>>
>>343625018
vanquish is an exception, but that's all...
>>
>>343624040
nigga seeing a movie costs more than 5 dollars and thats way less than 5 hours of entertainment
>>
>>343624983
I really loved that aspect

>start of game: "TANGO DOWN"
>end of game: "FUCK YOU"
>>
>>343622253
Absolute dogshit; literally Call of Duty but with Guilt Sequences (TM) that require you to do "eeeevil" things to continue to play the game, then shit on you for continuing to play the game.

Garbage through and through; you may as well play a real COD game.
>>
File: 1466091563709.jpg (9 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1466091563709.jpg
9 KB, 480x270
>>343625293
>paying for a movie
>>
>>343622253
It's short, fun tpp shooter with a twist.
And also nice looking setting of abonded dubai.
But as for story, people try make it bigger than it is on /v/. And I'm sure that if I read a single post before playing it, I would be dissapointed, lucky for me I didn't and enjoyed whole game.
>>
File: ilovetomurder.png (587 KB, 680x497) Image search: [Google]
ilovetomurder.png
587 KB, 680x497
>>343625309
>Walker yelling "FUCKING TRAITOR" as he blows the kneecaps off some poor sap with an AA12
>>
>>343624323
To be fair, it's not like the game is hiding the connection to heart of darkness/apocalypse now. The dude is literally named Konrad, which is the name of the author of the book
>>
>>343622253
Gameplay is nice, it might be vanilla but it's good vanilla. And the story's pretty cool but don't go expecting absolute perfection, hype is the all consuming monster when it comes to fucking an experience up.
>>
>>343622253
I can't get past the whole
>it's SUPPOSED to be a generic third person shooter!
Congratulations I still spend a few hours playing a generic third person shooter.

>bomb the fuck out of some enemies, see people in the back and recognize them as civilians, try everything to move forward and nothing happens, bomb the civvies out of anger
>cutscene pleys of the soldiers walking through white phosphorous bombed civvies like "LOOK WHAT YOU FUCKING DID!! GOD YOU MUST FEEL TERRIBLE!!!"
jesus christ.
>>
File: 1462438515100.jpg (72 KB, 452x680) Image search: [Google]
1462438515100.jpg
72 KB, 452x680
>stopped playing before THAT scene because I was so fucking bored
>see people online say "you could have just turned off the game and walked away, you didn't need to do all those bad things!"
Yeah I guess I do feel like a hero.
>>
>>343622545
>It's crap.
Agree.
>Shit, hamfisted story.
Shit yes, hamfisted no.
>Ugly visuals,
Fuck no, it was gorgeous for its time.
>boring level design
Agreed
>completely uninspired gameplay.
Bog-standard would be a better description.
>>
shit gameplay good story
although it has that telltale shit of "your choices don't matter because the game is made that way" cool game tho just beat it this weekend when my internet all fucked up
>>
>>343624102
same here

first starting out, there wasn't a spot on the fresh-on-the-ground-boots Walker.

By the end of the game the dude is covered head to toe in blood, sand and grime.

was very powerful
>>
>>343622253
garbage

it's the 'gone home' of TPS
>>
File: 1466126785-423959442.jpg (60 KB, 410x381) Image search: [Google]
1466126785-423959442.jpg
60 KB, 410x381
>>343626208
>>Ugly visuals,
>Fuck no, it was gorgeous for its time.
what kind of drugs are you on, man? Uncharted 2 was released in 2011 before this boring piece of crap filled with sand
>>
>>343626252
Not to mention how ragged his voice sounded by the end of the game.
>Crush someones skull by brutally smashing it with the butt of your rifle
>Walker says the raspiest "Fuck you"
Same line as dont from DMC but walkers use of that simple phrase was so much more powerful and evocative.
>>
Gameplay is standard and generic.

Story has potential but it goes to complete shit in the end. It just makes no sense. Those who praise the story are idiots who pretend to understand something that is complete nonsensical bullshit.
>>
>>343622253
Nice visuals, the sand storms were amazing.
Terrible gameplay. No excitement, nothing interesting ever happening, just plain crap.

The story was pseudo-intellectual crap. Pompous "games-r-arts" assholes everywhere praised it for its meta value, because the main character is about as much of a clueless asshole as you'd expect the average 13yo gamer to be, if he were a soldier in a warzone. OMG so DEEP!!! The delivery of the overall message also had the subtlety of a brick.
>>
>>343626487
>Walker punches someone's skull in like it was a melon
>"I guess you should have stayed at home"
>Walker tells sniper to snipe someone
>"I WANT THAT FUCKER DEAD"

Really nice and believable development since he seemed like such a boy scout during the early parts of the game.
>>
>>343626516
This. Williams literally changed the story at the last minute to spite his boss. Nolan North himself was noted to point out how it didn't make sense while recording lines.

People who praise Spec Ops' story are either so far up their own asses they can see their own tonsils, or just parrot what the press packs told them to parrot.
>>
File: 1431525449770.png (325 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
1431525449770.png
325 KB, 1280x800
>people still spouting the "just turn the game off!!!" meme
Stop self-inserting and start roleplaying
>>
>>343626674
> seemed like such a boy scout during the early parts of the game.

That's literately the whole driving force behind the games story. Walker innate desire to make things better even if it means going against orders is what causes him to keep making things worse.
>>
>>343626627
Agreed, it's basically a neo-v SJ W cancer
>>
File: Specops3[1].jpg (143 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
Specops3[1].jpg
143 KB, 1280x1024
>>
>>343627390
>"Turns out video games aren't like real life!"
Well I'll be! Thanks for blowing my mind, Spec Ops!

Call of Duty of all things did this same exact thing better.
>>
Maybe my tolerance is super high, but I never understood how much people freak out over this game's gameplay.

yeah it's generic, but it's not bad. Just been done a million times.
>>
>>343622253
It's Apocalypse Now: the vidyagaem
>>
>>343628034
Different amounts of tolerance for boredom, not really rocket science. Some people also stop playing as soon as they get to a bullet sponge, and for good reason.
>>
File: No One Ever Does.png (307 KB, 800x418) Image search: [Google]
No One Ever Does.png
307 KB, 800x418
>>343624204
>and with choices that actually matter
That's the point, the choices don't matter. Everything that mattered in terms of the story was done before you ever showed up. And, ultimately, the terrible shit that happens in game is beyond you, or Walker's, ability to control. People still shit on you/Walker for being involved anyway, but see below.

Right at the end, the only choices that affects anything storywise is whether Walker accepts the blame for what happened, through either shooting the hallucination of Konrad or commits suicide. After that, you can surrender to the soldiers, commit suicide by cop, or manage to actually kill them all in the scene and end up hunted down by the military later anyway. The "best" option is Walker telling the game that you're not going to accept the blame and just off yourself for a shitty situation.

The only choice that "matters" mechanically is whether Walker gives into the constant bullshit and just kills himself or goes absolutely nuts, or actually decides to continue on with his life, as broken as its become. "You can still go home."

Even the choices you make before then that don't matter are more organic than in most games. There's no indicator you can intentionally miss the mob to continue, but you can still do it anyway. All you do is not kill some digital NPCs, but that's, again, the point. You accomplish managing to not have to kill some more hopeless schmucks for once.

It's not a perfect narrative. There are ways to do it better without getting as silly about it as the game did. And yes, it gets overbearing. It still created a nice atmosphere with hallucinations and largely insignificant but amusing 4th wall breaking. Like KotOR II, people always overlook that you can actually tell the game to go fuck itself with all its "this is your fault" commentary. And in both games, the in game representative of the judgement on you and the PC will accept your rejection of them as valid.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.