[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>I was always told Spirit Tracks is bad >I started playing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 20
File: image.jpg (147 KB, 671x671) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
147 KB, 671x671
>I was always told Spirit Tracks is bad
>I started playing two days ago and can't stop
>I'm having so much fun I felt compelled to stop playing it and tell my good friends on /v/
>>
>>343601649
It's fantastic. Zelda is a fucking babe and a good friend in it too. She's cute and helpful. Also, I love trains and loved unlocking new tracks through side-missions and stuff. Hyrule is also pleasantly large.
>>
>>343601746
It's one of the most charming and comfy Zelda game I've ever played
>>
>>343601649
It's a great game. Much better than Skyward Sword. I loved it.
>>
Did you choose the Warrior ending or did you be a true man and stick to train driving?
>>
>Phantom Hourglass is supposedly one of the worst Zeldas
>play it
>it's better than the main console ones
>>
The game is good and it has the best princess zelda.

Also the game has a strong sense of adventure even tho the train is obviously on rails. Was the best handheld zelda since awakening for me. Link between worlds is better tho.
>>
>>343603932
The only thing bad about PH is the back tracking dungeon. Other than that it's a fantastic game
>>
Replaying twilight princess and it's actually pretty mediocre

>terrible pacing, don't reach first dungeon until 5 hours in
>first two dungeons are terribly forgettable
>bug collecting is annoying
>characters are bland, Collin is a faggot, talo is an annoying little jew who should be killable, Beth wants the d
>overworld is empty as fuck
>wolf sections are both boring and annoying
>links run animation is terrible
>>
>>343605068
I'm enjoying it for the most part.
What bugs the shit out of me is the interesting new items that got used for their one dungeon and a couple puzzles and then never again.
>>
>>343606245
That too

Honestly, it's not bad to the extent I won't play it, but it's not as good as oot or mm, or even ww.

I see what is a potential generation defining game hidden underneath all these shortcomings and that's the worst part to me
>>
I loved everything about this game except the flute segments. I never could play the sand realm duet so I just stopped playing.
>>
File: 1350353846868.jpg (50 KB, 384x494) Image search: [Google]
1350353846868.jpg
50 KB, 384x494
>>343601649

Phantom Hourglass was total dogshit, but it's made Spirit Track ten time comfier
>>
>>343601649
I didn't mind the controls, but the train thing was too dull and the dungeons weren't interesting enough to warrant the tedium.
>>
>>343605068
Twilight Princess from the Wolf - Lake Hylia Bug Collecting section to the end of the game is fantastic.

But God damn is everything before that a fucking slog. It doesn't help that the Forest and Fire Dungeons are so fucking easy and mindless.

Also all the bossfights are way too easy. Have no idea what they were thinking.
>>
>>343603932
>>343604239

Boring, empty world compared to Wind Waker, dungeons can be completed in 15-20 minutes tops, recycled music, hardly any real variety

What was cool was treasure-hunting and steamboat customization
>>
>>343607306
>got to the final boss release week
>even now can't do the fucking flute segment required to actually fight him

Whatever. Fuck it.
>>
>>343608898
>Also all the bossfights are way too easy. Have no idea what they were thinking.

Do any Zelda games have difficult bosses, come to think of it? I vaguely recall Skyward Sword's boss fights being slightly, SLIGHTLY more elaborate than usual.
>>
File: YES THE SWEET EMBRACE.gif (961 KB, 310x212) Image search: [Google]
YES THE SWEET EMBRACE.gif
961 KB, 310x212
>>343601649
IM LITERALLY STILL STUCK AT THE SECOND FUCKING SAGE BECAUSE THE FUCKING GAY ASS PAN LFUTE DOESN'T GODDAMNED WORKA T ALL

NINTENDO NEEDS TO FUCKING STOP WITH THE GODDNAMN GIMMICKS CHRIST
>>
>>343609197
Not really.

But at least in most Zelda games bosses will hit you for a full heart or more.

Ganondorf in his final 1v1 fight hits you for 1/4 a heart with his sword. What a fucking joke. I think Ganon hit you for like 3 hearts back in Ocarina of Time.
>>
>>343609197
Mm had a few above the zelda curve at least

I always thought bongo bongo was hard as a kid (he isn't though)

Dark link is challenging if you z target sword duel him (which most sadly don't)
>>
>>343609197
A lot of shit in the 2D games, Bongo Bongo, Non-Diety Majora, Bullshit Plant in WW, and a few things in SS are often considered hard
>>
>>343609425
>>343609197
Hero mode really needs to be a default option. I was horribly disappointed to see that Bokoblins were hitting for 1/4th a heart in the BOTW demo, even when they pulled off a huge leaping attack which took 3 seconds to execute and left them wide open.
>>
>>343609550
>Bullshit Plant in WW

This wasn't the one in the Forbidden Forest dungeon, right? I literally fought that one today during a re-playthrough and it went down in two cycles.

I actually had some trouble with Gohma in Dragon Roost because I have trouble aiming the grappling hook precisely and the timing window is so limited. Obviously the goal is to stay above him on the wooden platforms but that doesn't always work in my favor.
>>
>>343601649
I still think it's weird that a train is in a Zelda game when the games usually have a medieval time setting or something.
>>
>>343609803
Were you playing HD or normal? In the regular version, that boss is a retarded fucking cluster fuck if it wants to be, smashing the shit out of you every time you're trying to aim the boomerang. The gyro aiming makes it way faster though, fixing it.

If not, you mostly got lucky then. FUCK that boss, he is completely bullshit.
>>
>>343601649
I remember when this released, /v/ had plenty of hostility of it because Phantom Hourglass. I still picked it up, and greatly enjoyed my time with it. Plus, Ghost Zelda is best Zelda.
>>
>>343610054

This was on Dolphin, so normal. You only need a couple seconds to set up the boomerang's trajectory, which is more than ample time to avoid his vine smash attack.
>>
File: 11233862.jpg (199 KB, 877x687) Image search: [Google]
11233862.jpg
199 KB, 877x687
>>343601649
It's not a bad game at all, it's just the overworld train segments are so slow and the least fun thing imaginable, and the game-wide rabbit hunt is by far the worst minigame ever created just due to them never standing still, the short amount of time to actually catch them is gone in a blink, and you have to zone out to get them to respawn. ST Zelda is the best one the series ever had just from her actually being super helpful to having a great personality, and them bringing back some characters from PH was fun.

>>343609803
>Obviously the goal is to stay above him on the wooden platforms
I have honestly never stayed on those platforms, their sole purpose was to swing to after I hooked onto him so I didn't fall into some lava.
>>
The only Zelda game that I truly, truly did not enjoy was A Link to the Past. Because something happened to it and it stopped working midway and I have yet to recover enough to go back and get back to where I was.

Why is it harder to replay a game when you're forcibly stopped midway, such as losing your save file or whatever, than it is to replay a game after you've already beaten it properly several times?
>>
>>343610709
Because you lose all of that progress and your robbed of the sheer enjoyment of a first playthrough. Happened to me in Majora's Mask.
>>
>>343610709
If your wife had a miscarriage would you immediately want to try again?
>>
>>343611403
Yeah, wombs are like baseball mitts, gotta break em in before they're ready to go
>>
I didn't bother with Spirit Tracks but I remember having the opposite of fun with Phantom Hourglass. Specially with the tower thingy. You have 4 great fucking zeldas for handhelds before it and you choose to make a gimmick out of a zelda game instead this time around.

>>343605068
I couldn't like TP enough either.
>>
>>343611873
If you didn't like PH, I still recommend playing ST. It fixes alot of the problems from PH and is overall just a much better game.
Wouldn't hurt to get a DS emulator and play through the first 3 hours to see how you like it
>>
I'm actually kinda looking forward to how the next handheld Zelda's gonna be like.
>>
>>343613685
As far as I'm aware, there doesn't seem to be any plans for a new handheld.

They've already gone past the experimental period with Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. And then they went perhaps a bit too far with nostalgia when they made Link Between Worlds.

So what's next then?
>>
Everyone says that ST Zelda is the best Zelda. Why is that?

Personally I think that part of it is due to the fact Zelda is your companion rather than just an exposition figure you see at the start of the game and then never again until the end. It's hard to care abut someone if you've only seen them in 2 cuts cents which were 40 hours apart from each other.
>>
>>343614696
Go back to PH and ST way of doing things, that was hella fun.

By the way, who remembers that puzzle where you had to stamp a mark on a map to your sea chart in PH? Drove me insane trying to figure that out.
>>
>>343614865
I don't really like the boats/trains. They can get really annoying.
>>
File: 1397795577059.png (525 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
1397795577059.png
525 KB, 480x640
Whoever told you Spirit Tracks was bad is a faggot.

If they said it's a great game but ultimately one of the weakest games in the series, then they would be correct.
>>
>>343601746
The only problem is the world doesn't FEEL large without the ability to freely roam.
>>
I hope we get more Zeldas as companions. It's hard to care about her otherwise, since she really only appears at the end.
>>
>>343615227
Is there an in game reason for that picture showing two Links in the same place?
>>
>>343603932
I definitely found Phantom Hourglass a lot more fun than Skyward Sword. That piece of shit.
>>
>>343601649
test
>>
>>343615467
It's hard to come up with different ways to make her a companion. She had to be turned into a ghost for that to work. Companions are usually designed to be an non-obstructive as possible. That's why Navi and Tatl were tiny fairies that usually hung out in Link's hat, the King of Red Lions was a boat who could talk to you telepathically through a magic rock, Midna was a shadow creature who hung out in your shadow and Fi was a magic sword spirit.
>>
>>343615094
How about Airships?
>>
>>343615479
Not just two Links, the same Link twice in the same panel.
>>
>>343615749
Well, at least let us see and talk to her more than two times before she's kidnapped until the end of the game. Hell, if she just hung around at your hub world or something so you could interact with her more then you'd like her more.
>>
>>343615479
they're not the same Link.

Link on the boat is the one from WW.
ST is set 100 years after WW
>>
>>343615878
I suppose she could work as some sort of mission command. While she's at the castle trying to keep shit under control, she can talk to Link at any time using some magic pendant or whatever.
>>
>>343601649
spirit tracks is great. i love the optional hidden stations in the corners of the map
>>
>>343601649
I fucking hate Spin-Off Link, aka Toon Link
>>
>>343609947
The game takes place 200 years after ocarina. It makes sense.
>>
>>343611403
LOL
>>
PH and ST get a really bad rep on /v/ even though they're super fucking comfy.
Probably because of lack of dungeon variety.
>>
>>343615848
>>343615926
Alright I haven't played the DS games, so what I'm asking is do those games in any way justify that ridiculous picture, or is it just a fun fanart?
>>
>>343616317
Just fun Fanart.

The Link on Red Lion and the one on the SS Linebeck are the same Link while the one in the Train is a different Link.
>>
>>343601649
>touch controls
>good
>ever
>>
>>343616415
Cool thanks. I'd obviously never rule out time travel in Zelda and that one Link in the picture has a fairy
>>
>>343601649
Punch whoever told you it was bad. Aside from Okamiden and LAdx, it's the best handheld Zelda. Phantom Hourglass on the other hand is hit or miss.
>>
I never actually beat Spirit Tracks.
>>
Has ST the best Zelda OST?
>>
File: link-20071127104426603-000.jpg (77 KB, 300x517) Image search: [Google]
link-20071127104426603-000.jpg
77 KB, 300x517
I've played a handful of Zelda games and honestly it's probably the only "big" series of Nintendo I just.. don't like. I don't know what it is but it doesn't seem fulfilling or challenging. I know what I'm getting when I get Mario, Pokemon, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Pikmin or even Metroid (even though it doesn't get many games now) but I just don't get all the love for Zelda games. I do love this picture though.
>>
>>343601649

best overworld music too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izbMZay_8Dk
>>
>>343608898
The last 3rd of the game sucks too, Ganondorfs tower is a grind fest of annoyingly simple puzzles that barely even utilize maybe 3 items at most, and a bunch of enemies. Ganon's 4 fights are also insultingly bland. There's another Tennis match ripped from OoT with even less challenge then the original due to the huge floor and the shitty new Triforce dodging that would be admittedly cool if it spawned the triangle so you were in the middle instead of putting the edge of the triangle right underneath you so one sidestep is all it takes. Then the Wolf/Boar part is practically a QTE Cutscene. The hardest part is the horse run but only because of the fucking Zelda AI not shooting him until you're right next to him and you stay there for like 2 minutes without getting hit by his ghost knights. The actual fight with Ganondorf himself is literally just "Use the dodgeroll technique, you win."
The Sky dungeon is really bad too.
The middle third of TP is godly though
>>
>>343617378
Most definitely
>>
File: 1352266153809.png (52 KB, 453x450) Image search: [Google]
1352266153809.png
52 KB, 453x450
Press the maps together
>>
File: 1406126693931.png (269 KB, 600x550) Image search: [Google]
1406126693931.png
269 KB, 600x550
Did you get all the golden ship parts?
>>
>>343601649
it's ok, the train sections are annoying, but apart from that pretty mediocre zelda
touch control is stupid too
>>
>>343618615

I'm still triggered by that shit
>>
The only major flaw in Spirit Tracks was how fucky the flute segments were.
There were a couple points where I was legitimately worried I wouldn't be able to progress because the game just wasn't co-operating at all.
>>
>tfw the flute parts always worked perfectly for me
Feels good man. I never get why people had trouble with them. You're not supposed to blow your lungs out or something, you need to do it gently.
>>
Does anyone else think Spirit Tracks has one of the best finales of the entire series?
>Fight giant evil ghost train in evil ghost dimension
>Fight Puppet Zelda on top of said evil ghost train with the help from Zelda
>Everything in this fight is super creepy and unsettling
>Get warped back to Hyrule, outside the castle
>Zelda returns to her body after Byrne sacrifices himself
>Malladus fuses with Cole and becomes a fucking badass evil monster
>Protecting Zelda as she charges up
>Play a final song with her singing
>It's the main theme
>All the other sages join in
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N21htq8lXQ
>Zelda actively helping out and fighting alongside you
>That final push with Link and Zelda driving the sword through his head together
>The locomos fly off, leaving the protection of the land in the hands of the humans
>Link and Zelda promise to take responsibility as they hold hands
Fucking 10/10
>>
>>343622863
>autist detected
>>
>>343615926
but the WW Link is the PH Link in the background.
So out of 3 Links, 2 are the same
>>
>>343618615
>my younger sister immediately knew what to do

>>343618951
Yes, but only by setting game clock to some minutes before midnight and then waiting for new parts to appear, rinse and repeat
>>
File: linebeck.png (183 KB, 366x600) Image search: [Google]
linebeck.png
183 KB, 366x600
>yfw mapping out that one island and it's a whale in PH

the DS games aren't the best but they have some great parts
>>
File: 1441907775534.jpg (83 KB, 550x491) Image search: [Google]
1441907775534.jpg
83 KB, 550x491
>>343624545
>That DS island.
>>
>>343624545
That shit made me appreciate map makers a lot more, not to mention the pioneers that sacrificed a lot to map most of our world.
>>
File: Dude you gotta be more mellow.png (58 KB, 581x398) Image search: [Google]
Dude you gotta be more mellow.png
58 KB, 581x398
>>343623214
Sure thing pal
>>
>>343601649
Holyshit yes, OP. This actually is one of my prefered modern Zeldas, so much simple fun. I'll mourn the fact that most of this games tracks will never get a full instrumentation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stL3E0h6bjM

P.S this game gave me a thing for Zelda.
>>
>>343617378
It was fucking great, that's for sure
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuAimans00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CpyO0wrAQs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izbMZay_8Dk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9pupmo4_UM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCutOU0FasM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhH0ERkZlfk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMoqBWWypkc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYqrrTLfxJE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB7iWHOMaPs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N21htq8lXQ
>>
>>343609117
the world isn't even remotely empty compared to wind waker.
>>
>spirit flute is finicky as hell
>TAP2WIN combat
>little exploration
>dull dungeons, only the tower of spirits had thought put into it
>worthless warping
>bomb trains everywhere just because

Spirit Tracks is the only time i had to force myself to finish a Zelda game, and that was after quitting for a year.

The Toon Link Zeldas are among the weakest of the series in my opinion. Keep in mind, i havent played SS, and I still do like Wind Waker, if only for the sense of adventure it has. They went a little overboard on gimmicks with the DS games
>>
>>343627085
>>343627097

https://youtu.be/UCExYO-NNMA?t=21s

I know it's only about a minute's worth, but still best part of this thing.
>>
File: 1367202061775.jpg (294 KB, 600x612) Image search: [Google]
1367202061775.jpg
294 KB, 600x612
>>343627302
>Keep in mind, i havent played SS
SS is the weakest game in the entire series that isn't the CD-i games. It's the only one where pretty much every area is a chore to go through thanks to the constant revisits, you're babied the whole way as if you can't understand what a cutscene means, you fight the same bosses over and over with barely any change in the method, and it felt like they were experimenting with a lot of things and trying to justify the Motion Plus more than anything.

The characters of SS outside of Fi are basically the best part of SS, Skyloft itself is great too, but it drops the ball so much you'd think they were drunk during the entire development, the dungeons are okay but pretty easy, and when the controls work they are fantastic and I'm going to miss actually having that level of control that the fights provided.
>>
Anyone get the feeling whatever Zelda will be in the new game will be boring as shit? In fact, I've come to believe Nintendo has stopped caring about the traditional zeldas in favor of the Toon franchise because Japan actually likes those.
>>
File: 1350095063842.jpg (342 KB, 850x566) Image search: [Google]
1350095063842.jpg
342 KB, 850x566
>>343627759
>The characters of SS outside of Fi are basically the best part of SS

Playing through it currently and wow, ain't that the truth. The dungeons wish they were as fun to interact with and look at as the characters were.
>>
File: 1441940573997.jpg (310 KB, 850x991) Image search: [Google]
1441940573997.jpg
310 KB, 850x991
>>343628341
>That moment you catch up to Zelda in Lanayru and Link can banter with Impa.
>That sidequest where you clean Pipit's house and then when you come there at night he's yelling at his mom for being lazy.
>That sidequest where you get Karane and Pipit to fall in love.
>The entire Peatrice questline and her dad's quotes when you talk to him as the quest advances.
>Groose once he gets to the surface
>Everything about Beedle.
>The timeshift robots that constantly insult you for being a human while you fix their messes.
I loved the characters, you can tell they put most of their effort into them.
>>
File: 1466203492250.png (1011 KB, 1280x1451) Image search: [Google]
1466203492250.png
1011 KB, 1280x1451
>>343627759
>outside of fi
uh no. fi is best.
>>
>>343628959
Your headcanon Fi isn't what was in the game you realize.
>>
File: 1466205350002.png (262 KB, 489x750) Image search: [Google]
1466205350002.png
262 KB, 489x750
>>343628959
Fanon Fi is doesn't count and you know it. But yes, I also love these. At least she was good in Hyrule Warriors.
>>
I have never played either of the DS games but I constantly refer to them as shit and pretend I have because I thought they were supposed to be total garbage. Are you telling me they're actually decent?
>>
File: 1445623045416.jpg (67 KB, 272x400) Image search: [Google]
1445623045416.jpg
67 KB, 272x400
>>343629083
>At least she was good in Hyrule Warriors.
Her playstyle is awful since it takes forever to get to the actual attacks that deal damage, you have to recharge your light like every 20 seconds, being a good mobber is pointless when everyone else is just a good mobber and can also do 1v1 extremely easily, and not to mention every single level or challenge she's thrown into is usually 1v1, but damn it if I didn't love her little quips every once in a while.
>"Your presence presents an obstacle. All obstacles must be removed. I assume you can see the problem."
>>
>>343629042
what was in the game was an adorably autistic computer waifu.
>>
>>343629363
You mean an irritating, patronizing sword who couldn't stop telling you every little thing no matter if there was special attention made to actually point stuff out to you before she even talked, and then when the end of the game comes you're expected to feel sad for her.

It's literally Kirsti from Sticker Star but even more annoying.
>>
>>343629471
no, what i meant was this
>>343629363

how the fuck is fi worse than any fair thing? don't even bother trying to answer that. you will never convince me otherwise.
>>
File: 1466203388607.png (154 KB, 500x567) Image search: [Google]
1466203388607.png
154 KB, 500x567
>>343629337
Can't say I agree. She's horrible at 1v1 but her crowd control is fucking nuts even if you forget to charge everyone once in a while. She's basically Zant lite, spin it to win it.

>>343629363
>adorably autistic computer waifu.

That's not even fucking close to what she was.
>>
>>343629316
They're actually really not, it was probably OP's childhood game and he's trying to slide it into acceptance.
>>
>>343629629
if fucking was fucking so. i played the game, well for as long as i could stand it. fi was the only good thing about it.
>>
File: image.jpg (141 KB, 702x505) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
141 KB, 702x505
Why is Ghost Zelda so cute?
>>
>>343628959
No, Fi is shit
>>
>>343601649
Can't stand it. The travelling is so time consuming and annoying, and the story is really boring. The flute is totally fucking retarded and some of the songs are extremely difficult to play, in fact the whole idea of using the microphone as part of the game was just totally stupid. And all the sidequests were extremely repetitive (collecting bunnies, transporting people, even the minigames were just boring target shooting). The overworld sucked compared to Phantom Hourglass as well because there was no feeling of adventure, just travelling from point a to b.

The one decent thing about the game was that the dungeons were good, and actually fairly challenging. However the game is not even close to being as good as Phantom Hourglass because it is just a boring grind.
>>
Pan flute was the worst fucking thing added to a game.
>>
Spirit Tracks is one of the worst Zelda games, but I'd put it far above Phantom Hourglass and Skyward Sword, and about equal with Oracle of Ages.
>>
>that fucking piece of shit map puzzle in Phantom Hourglass

seriously, fuck that. Literally spent over 12 hours using every item at every possible location before accidentally putting the DS into sleep mode while looking at that map.

Immediately took out the cart and threw it in the fireplace afterwards. Worst most obtuse puzzle I've ever seen in a video game.
>>
Okay, seriously, how do you guys use the flute, because I never had any trouble with it whatsoever.
Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.