[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Splatoon's last hurrah will be had when the final Splatfest
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 19
File: 1505-09-Splatoon-spot-750x400.jpg (46 KB, 750x400) Image search: [Google]
1505-09-Splatoon-spot-750x400.jpg
46 KB, 750x400
Splatoon's last hurrah will be had when the final Splatfest goes live on July 22nd.
Will it be remembered well?
Did the lack of voice chat or a larger map rotation really hurt it?
How imminent is a sequel?
What would you have done to improve them game, or would you leave it as is?
>>
>>343594102
>Will it be remembered well?
Of course, it was actually reinvigorating
>Did the lack of voice chat or a larger map rotation really hurt it?
Yes. It can get boring quickly when you have to play the same 2 maps for 4 hours while 99% of the time you'll get a shit team who won't get even know what they're doing. Get on the tower, etc
>How imminent is a sequel?
NX, of course
>What would you have done to improve them game, or would you leave it as is?
Regional matchmaking, something more than booya and come on, weapons switching between matches, offline turfwar/rainmaker/towers/splat zones, etc
>>
>>343594102
>Its Callie vs Marie
>Will it be remembered
>>
>>343595714
>waifufags determine a game's longevity
4chan is not the end-all haven of videogame discussion
>>
File: 1439147541860.webm (850 KB, 852x480) Image search: [Google]
1439147541860.webm
850 KB, 852x480
>>343594102
Of course.
>>
It doesn't feel right. It should have another year before it has its final splatfest where everyone reminiscences and pats the game on the back for good times. At least a month before NX hits.
>>
>>343594102
I think what hurt the most was removing maps from Ranked rotations.
>>
File: 1466379960791.jpg (12 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
1466379960791.jpg
12 KB, 275x183
>>343594102
Get ready for the NX version. You know it's coming

>What would you add or change?
>>
I would've given the game a better singleplayer. The mode we got was disgustingly easy, and I shouldn't have to go online just for a challenge. It reminds me of Call of Duty and how the singleplayer is kind of like a glorified tutorial.
>>
>>343596164
I don't own a Wii U and I will remember splatoon. It was something of a hit anon
>>
Give me playable Octolings and larger maps, with vehicles to pilot and a deathmatch mode. How can you not have a mode where your victories depend on your kills in a game like this?
>>
I'd want them to improve the entire lobby system they have. How being able to not back out of a lobby when searching for a game got oversighted is beyond me.
>>
Give us the option to have our squid kids dance. I've seen sad sack kids try to mimic the dancing by jumping in circles. That's pathetic.
>>
>>343602647
Voice chat and emotes would be nice.
>>
>>343597651
Jesus, is this amateur hour?
>>
A bigger hub world would be nice.
>>
Yes, it suffered from lack of voice chat. You quickly start to feel as though you're playing with bots.

I understand what they were trying to do with the forced map rotation (i..e encourage people to reconsider their loadouts based on the maps in play), but 4 hours is just too much. You would have to be really obsessed to play more than 4 hours per day, so the maps that are available when you log in are probably the ones you will be stuck with for your entire session, which is gay as fuck.

To improve the game, I would:
- add voice chat (they can make it opt-in or with friends only if they're so concerned about pedophiles)
- add an online hub world where you can hang out/interact with other players in real time and not just NPC versions of them
- reduce the map rotation time to 1 or 2 hours max.
- allow for gear dying/recolouring
- more personal customisation like hairstyles
- allow for better local split-screen play that actually lets you go online instead of just 1-on-1 duels and doesn't require jury-rigging a wii remote to a pro controller.
- longer single-player campaign, and a co-op version of it.
- allow all game modes to be playable in both ranked and non-ranked, and let people choose which one they want to play (as well as offer a random option with better rewards)
- Possibly allow for full loadout customisation instead of preset ones based on the primary weapon, i.e. you could choose your secondary and special weapons individually.
- A horde mode where you and other players defend against waves of AI enemies ala Killing Floor.
>>
Isn't Nintendo gearing up to make Splatoon a flagship series?
>>
I can't see them pulling the servers before anything NX comes out. So we'll probably have at least another year.

That said, I'd like it if the rotation was shortened to two hours and if three maps were in play. I'd like it if we could play against bots too, since I know the servers won't be up forever.
>>
>>343604771
It's popular enough that I'd like to believe that. Though I suppose only time will tell.

Maybe they'll surprise us and have something else planned. They only said it's the last Splatfest, they could always have new different events.
>>
>>343604196
That particular corner is a tricky spot. Because when you arrive from the corridor your camera won't naturally see the wall from just around the corner, with danger typically coming from further down the line instead.

That's why the trick is surprisingly effective. Especially if you've got a long range partner. Because if the enemy actually does surprise and end up to focus on the wall instead they set themselves up as vulnerable to attacks from the opposite end. Yet it's really tricky to one shot an enemy hiding on the wall against the corner, especially since they can just circle around said corner in but an instant.

It's an intense part of the map with potential for lots of trickery. Including at high level play.
>>
>>343604829
I'd be really surprised if they pull the servers at all. Nintendo have been notoriously slow at shutting down services. It would be pretty unprecedented for them to shut down a service just because a sequel launched. They'll likely keep it running for as long it's feasible to do so.
>>
I'd say a sequel is pretty imminent. I mean the game did sell over 4 million copies.
>>
File: Not Exactly.png (138 KB, 517x353) Image search: [Google]
Not Exactly.png
138 KB, 517x353
>>343604735
>You quickly start to feel as though you're playing with bots.
>>
>>343605354
Hell the only reason why the Wii and DS servers went kaput was because Gamespy died out.
>>
>>343605218
He didn't even consider the possibility that he was on the wall. That giant splashing is pretty obvious. It's looks like B- rank play.
>>
>>343605354
none of it would even be necessary if the game was peer-to-peer or they offered dedicated servers. As it is, it has a definite end, which sucks

>>343605469
and yet, they went
>>
>>343594102
>modern Nintendo
>doing sequels right with anything that isn't Mario

It's not getting a sequel until long after the servers are down. By that point, interest in Splatoon will already be dead because the kids in the age range it targeted are already grown up and the new generation doesn't give a fuck about Nintendo.

Screencap this post so that SOMEBODY gets a good laugh out of all this.
>>
>>343594102
>Haven't played any since the first big update where they ruined my favourite maps
>Try and get back into it hearing this news
>Can't get any kills because I'm a level 20 in a sea of level 50 nips with Range Blasters and E-Litres
>Only get 3 games in and the connection fucks up and I can't get back into the lobby
Fml, back to Overwatch.
>>
Hacking hurt it the most. A ton of people hack their gear instead of playing in splatfests and a majority of weapon hackers are still not banned
>>
>>343605742
these are the same people who did Animal crossing

not to mention they took balance into extreme consideration to the point at the moment that the game is VERY balanced
>>
>>343605898
They're also the same people who did Animal Crossing Wii U: Mario Party Edition.
>>
>>343605742
Still waiting on you to eat those dicks and crows.
>>
>>343606034
because they put all their good devs into splatoon

they might as well CAN Animal crossing, and put all of its features into splatoon
>>
>>343604771
The smart move would be to do that, so they might not.
>>
>>343594102
>Only-focused game is already having it's last event

This is why I'll never buy a Nintendo multiplayer game. They can't support their shit
>>
>>343606145
I really don't think town building and arena shooter will mesh well.
>>
yeah definitely, it was cute and cheeky and fun
anyone who cared about voice chat had people coordinated enough to utilize it in the first place. I think maybe adding two more shoutouts would help. Map/mode rotation being every 4 hours was kinda booty
NX probably
Put caps on skills
More modes in and out of ranked [I personally would love 2v2v2v2 turf wars, imagine how much of a shitfest that would be]
Splatfests and friendlies being more than just turf wars
Splitscreen local
Pants as an equipment slot
Hairstyles
Challenge modes not locked behind amiibos
weapons are pretty fine though, I can't think of anything to add or change

>mfw the final splatfest is on my birthday
>>
>>343606276
well, we gotta dump that currency some where once we got our gear done and bought everything
>>
>>343606287
>>343604735
>4hours
I thought it was every hour.
>>
File: 1327480228939.jpg (8 KB, 251x228) Image search: [Google]
1327480228939.jpg
8 KB, 251x228
>>343604735
Over Watch is even worse, even without voice chat. I'd say the average Splatoon player is far more intelligent than your average Hanzo or your average Mercy.
>>
File: 1467331171749.jpg (141 KB, 534x820) Image search: [Google]
1467331171749.jpg
141 KB, 534x820
I don't have the game but you fags better make marie win.
>>
File: inkling_wall.png (437 KB, 498x492) Image search: [Google]
inkling_wall.png
437 KB, 498x492
>>343594102
Considering it has been Nintendo's biggest new IP since I would say Animal Crossing, we're probably not going to be missing it for long. It'll be remembered for sure.
Voice chat, I would say probably not
Small map rotation, I would say yes
I'd be legitimately surprised if they didn't already have one in the works for the NX
Increase the map rotation by at least one map, or at least make the rotation more frequent
Not end Splatfests a year after they start
Some sort of split screen
More game modes, stuff like free-for-alls or 2v2v2v2 would be rad
Customizable hairstyles to differentiate squids from each other
Maybe a few more weapon types
Ranked Turf War

Overall, it's a really goddamn good game. Easily one of the best on the Wii U. Considering Nintendo's been using it a lot alongside their other IPs, I'm glad that it'll most likely being staying for a long time.
>>
I still can't believe they never added that final map slot to the rotation, and the timed map rotation and modes killed my enthusiasm to play.

If they bring that shit over to the next game I'm not even going to bother playing it.
>>
>>343604735
>Possibly allow for full loadout customisation instead of preset ones based on the primary weapon, i.e. you could choose your secondary and special weapons individually
I feel like this was kind of the point of the reskins. Letting people have full control over it would probably lead to broke setups I think.
Maybe if thye made it super expensive.
>>
What could they even do to make Spla2n? Graphics can only get marginally better, the controller will almost certainly not be as good as the gamepad, even if it were KB+M, and the multiplayer really doesn't have anywhere to go.

Call of Duty it?
>>
>>343606449
>more intelligent than your average Hanzo
The average four year old is probably smarter than the average Hanzo, dude.
>>
>>343594102
Well considering the Callie and Marie Amiibos haven't come out yet, I'd say very soon.
>>
>>343606726
Exactly, that's why the average Splatoon player is smarter
>>
>>343606689
If the NX being a portable/console hybrid is true then the controller can work for sure. Which is good because the Gyro works so good for it
>>
>>343594102
Last splatfest? Isn't that like the key reason you played against other people?
>>
>>343606862
Regular multiplayer is still going to be running.
>>
They are already shutting the online down?

Wow that was fast. Trust Nintendo to never support their games properly.
>>
>>343607018
>>343606862
Online is still going to be around numbnuts.
>>
File: fgsfdhfsdhgfhsfghdsfg.jpg (82 KB, 1082x632) Image search: [Google]
fgsfdhfsdhgfhsfghdsfg.jpg
82 KB, 1082x632
>>343606862
getting to S + is what you worked toward
>>
File: stop1.png (37 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
stop1.png
37 KB, 256x256
>>343604735
>>343606658
>Possibly allow for full loadout customisation instead of preset ones

Good god no
We already have unstylish and unfresh samefags running around with the same shit, last thing we need to do is take some what moderate skill out of the game
>>
How about some more worldbuilding?
>>
>>343598895
Mario. It's only a matter of time
>>
>>343607126
I agree with you, but part of me wishes I could bomb rush with splat walls.
>>
>>343607389
Singleplayer, obviously.

I'd like it to be like Metroid Prime, but the Octolings are the Space Pirates.

Octo-Ridley
>>
We need an Xtreme spin-off, with swimsuits and minigames
>>
>>343607453
>Science Team has kelp for brains.
>>
>>343607529
Surely the Chinese could do this. They could even add white paint
>>
>>343606568
I'll do my part you Anon.
>>
>>343594102
>how imminent is a sequel
basically fucking guaranteed, I've never known Nintendo to not milk even its most mildly successful series
>>
>>343607743
>Metroid
>F-Zero.
>>
Being able to lay down beacons and or waypoints on the map would be way more useful than some in-game voice client.
Just use teamspeak, discord, or skype or whatever if you really feel the need for it.
>>
>>343607791
all had more than one entry
>>
>>343594102
>last splatfest
I suspect the results will be shitposted about for at least a day in full force, like Cats v Dogs.
>remembered
The winning idol will always have that trump card for any argument.. unless they finally decide to have the first ever tie.. or if they do something like an octoling invasion with a "to be continued" in Spla2NX interrupting said splatfest
>lack of voice chat
in 4v4, not so much. any attempts to have a voice chat ended up with people talking about which female member has the best feet and farts and some of them apologizing for shitting during a fart. and the lack of squealing kids/mic spammers/cunt fucks who cuss every other word is a nice plus.
>improve the game
Your freshness should not be in conflict with your effectiveness in combat. I so wanted Ninja Squid and Stealth Jump on the Samurai Set with an Octobrush since the dawn of Octobrushes

But with pic related, I seriously do not want Splatoon to end like this. It feels jarring to the past year or so, arena like combat with no real steaks at hand just good ole fashioned nintendo fun.

I just hate the idea of two idols fighting like this and so sudden, (kinda, remember christmas banter with Callie starting to get mad) and really, if one of them wins, everyone loses
>>
If the graphics stayed 100% the same, but the maps got more complex and there was no trouble whatsoever with split screen.
Would people be disappointed? Or are graphical improvements a must?

I guess Nintendo in particular would get slammed for being behind the times if the sequel doesn't look notably better. But fuck, why are people so obsessed with graphics? The visuals of Splatoon are already very striking and it has a very memorable style.
>>
>>343607792
You can lay down beacons.
>>
File: why splatoon has no voice chat.png (387 KB, 800x1000) Image search: [Google]
why splatoon has no voice chat.png
387 KB, 800x1000
>>343604735
>>
>>343608234
the best version of that and in the actual game is

BOOYAH COME ON COME ON COME ON COME ON COME ON COME ON COME ON COME ON COME ON
>>
>>343608003
To be fair, Marie has always been kind of a cunt. I can't really say it isn't completely unwarranted because Callie's steamrolled her in splatfests for the better part of the year so I feel it could lead into something interesting
>>
>>343608360
I don't want to hear a high-pitched snot-nosed little shit calling me a faggot while I'm trying to play. I'm glad it doesn't have voice and I hope it stays that way.
>>
>>343599606
>How can you not have a mode where your victories depend on your kills in a game like this?
cause deviating from traditional Shooter modes is what made splatoon a hit
>>
>>343608026
Oh right. The little radio towers. I forgot that they were actually called beacons.
I just meant an ability to ping on the map. Glowing circles on the mini map or something of that effect.
>>
>>343608564
almost every game in existence that has had voice chat has also had the option to disable it
>>
>>343608656
And if you're in a team that depends on it and can't function without it, you're fucked.
>>
>>343606287
>More modes in and out of ranked [I personally would love 2v2v2v2 turf wars, imagine how much of a shitfest that would be]
that would require special designed maps just for that mode alone
>>
>>343608656
you fuckers will never learn that "optional" features affect a game, regardless of their usage
>>
>>343608756
So your argument is that if you can't have it, no one can?
>>
>>343608467
Considering they read off teleprompters/cue cards, their personalities are artificial as fuck to me.

Think Mythbusters, it started out with Jamie, but he was not charismatic enough to host alone but he has the connections and resources else to back the show up. So add Adam who is bubbly and can put up when its time to do so (I said this because people forget Callie and Marie were battlers before idols), but they cannot always be like that, both mythbusters and the squid sisters.

My pics filename is not just for show, its Nintendos master plan behind all of this and I stand behind a cautious optimism that they have something planned for the after-splatfest "banter"
>>
File: elchacal.jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
elchacal.jpg
12 KB, 480x360
>>343594102
>last Splatfest is a waifu war
There will be blood
>>
>>343608818
No, not whatsoever. I just think it would be nice for people to NOT be able to rely on screaming or insulting each other to get something done.

Splatoon works because you work as a team, even quietly. With voice chat, it would be one person barking orders.
>>
>>343608830
>Considering they read off teleprompters/cue cards
They don't always, we've been shown that.
>>
File: 1460875935552.jpg (41 KB, 534x532) Image search: [Google]
1460875935552.jpg
41 KB, 534x532
>buy the game
>beat the story
>Don't touch it after.
Fuck.
>>
File: 1469390373648.jpg (774 KB, 1920x1800) Image search: [Google]
1469390373648.jpg
774 KB, 1920x1800
>>343609181
Who are you mad at here?
>>
>>343609303
He missed out on Splatfests, banter and all that jazz and because he now knows there is no going back he feels somewhat sad but he translated it into anger because only weird people save sad reaction images.
>>
Why do people talk like Splatoon is gonna be shut down after this?
Splatfests are kinda lackluster imo
Turf war only and a bunch of scrubs get back on who barely play
It's only good for Sea Snails
Ranked is better
>>
File: 1464148950386.gif (2 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1464148950386.gif
2 MB, 480x270
>>343609424
>only weird people save sad reaction images
>>
File: 1446973228695.gif (808 KB, 275x206) Image search: [Google]
1446973228695.gif
808 KB, 275x206
>>343608003
Rollers vs Chargers warfare incoming
>>
post more sexy squids
>>
>>343609532
Fuck off Michael, you will never find your special one
>>343609587
A Splatfest like that would be really interesting actually, having each side limited to only being able to use a certain set of weapon or clothing
>>
File: sarcasm.png (81 KB, 198x181) Image search: [Google]
sarcasm.png
81 KB, 198x181
Anyone who thinks Splatoon needs voice chat hasn't played the game for more than maybe a few minutes.
9 times out of 10 you're playing with some foreign player, be they from the UK or JP, and the higher you get through the ranks, less english names appear, and by the time you hit S rank, you're often the only not-japanese player in the lobby.

>Splatoon's last Hurrah
Splatoon has kicked off as a franchise easily in Japan, there's a whole line of clothes based of ingame gear. I'm 100% ready for the NX game.
>>
>>343604735
>- add an online hub world where you can hang out/interact with other players in real time and not just NPC versions of them

Honestly, I'd love this alot
>>
>>343609471
Your opintion is not always god or speaks for others. Splatfests are fun for a bit because you kinda get amped up for which idol/team you are fighting with or for.

I gotten my share of adrenaline rushes coming to the aid of a team member during splatfest, not because it was fun, but for comradery. Nothing will beat saving two people with a bubble from a killer wail and eventually winning that match.

If all you do is just look at the reward, yeah, you will get burnt out and start to dislike them but thats not it for me.

>Turf war only and a bunch of scrubs get back on who barely play
Which means little since the introduction of Splatfest Power and Brackets. Casual C and B will be matched up with other casual C and Bs

Splatfests are special if you like it or not, with the NX a hop, skip and a fart away and the "theme", its more of a big deal than you are making it out to be no matter how often you shit your pants.
>>
>>343594102
ayy
>>
File: well shucks.jpg (27 KB, 220x215) Image search: [Google]
well shucks.jpg
27 KB, 220x215
I feel really bad. I got it late last year, played through the single-player, a few multiplayer rounds, maybe twenty-thirty of 'em and then put it down.
Now it's about to to be over, kind of.

Should I just sell my copy?
>>
So does the end of splatfests mean something? They cant possibly have a sequel out until 2018.
>>
Even without splatfests, it's still better than Devil's Turd MP.
>>
>>343610320
We (and using this properly) have no idea because of how sudden it is and the time it takes to produce a game. The NX is prox 6-8 months away considering no delays and the devs are probably just working on it now.

More goes into Splatfests than just turning on a switch and putting in some art for teams. The only thing you can do now as a fan of either Nintendo and/or Splatoon is just enjoy the last splatfest and hope the post-fest banter reveals or hints at something to keep you playing/hyped until the sequal or port with additions.
Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.