[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>every game now has to be 20000 hours long and the size of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: lttp.jpg (184 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
lttp.jpg
184 KB, 1920x1080
>every game now has to be 20000 hours long and the size of Daggerfall while looking identical to real life, or else it's shit

Since when did these become the main prerequisites for a good game? It sounds an awful lot like you've been conditioned by modern advertising.
>>
>>343556430
Playing Transformers: Devastation right now
I think The Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Grand Theft Auto A Billion, and every other open world pseudo-rpg or third person shooter are all samey boring bullshit. It seems like Platinum, indie developers, and occasionally Nintendo are the only people who can make good games now.
Metal Gear Solid V looks decent, though. Lots of fun items and mechanics, even if it has an open world for literally no reason.
>>
Can't wait for the open world meme to end.
>>
>>343556842
Been waiting for over a decade, anon.
>>
>>343556842
it hasn't even begun
>>
>>343556842

What comes afterwards? We've had zombies, we've had futuristic (still in the middle of that), and we've had open world (still in the middle of that too.)

What's the next trend every major game tries to follow?
>>
>>343556764
It might be worth a playthrough, you can get some nice moments, and there are a fair amount of neat things you can discover while playing the game

>>343557385
TLOU style games seems like a good bet.

Sony are completely on board, we'll see if others follow suit (people call it cinematic, but I'm not sure if that's the best word for it).
>>
>normies don't like vidya
>normies like movies
>guys we need to make a lot of money I mean reach a wider audience

You can fill in the rest.
>>
>>343556842
It's not even that, really. There are too many games where it's a matter of, "Look at all these cool NEW FEATURES XDD!', as opposed to something that's thoughtfully designed in a way that everything actually serves a purpose. Games are absolutely packed with pointless shit and padding to distract from the fact that they're lazily designed.

Skyrim should be universally recognized as complete garbage, but there are a hundred caves where you can fight bad guys so that makes it a masterpiece.
>>
>>343557385
It's gonna be crafting systems.
>>
>>343556430
Since normies found out about games

There are people who pay 100$ for the same Assassin's creed game every fucking year.
>>
>>343558156
>open world early access survival game with crafting elements
>>
File: image.png (1004 KB, 2000x1658) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1004 KB, 2000x1658
>>343557976
>>343558236
>muh normie boogeyman
kill yourselves
>>
open world RPGs are the evolution of video games, stop being a contrarian faggot OP
>>
>>343556842
I can't wait for an open world game that actually focuses on gameplay mechanics.

it seems to me like open world is basically an excuse for "approach quests in any order you like" or "here's a hidden cave where you can find optional stuff" etc., which isn't really bad, but it's just a stale approach.

when has there ever been an open world game that just focused on open world simulation and gameplay mechanics? like placing dynamic npcs into the world which interact with each other. like having an open world that dynamically changes actually. like giving the player a bunch of tools to play in the environment in a dynamic way that encourages emergenet behavior etc?
>>
They never became a prerequisite for a good game. A good game is completely subjective. Not everyone is going to like the same shit, and even people who do want games like that won't necessarily say that a game is only good if it is like that.
>>
>>343558146
>Being this butthurt
>>
>>343556430
Between a game that's 1 hour long and one that's 50 hours long, I can tell you which one I'd rather spend money on here.

I'm not shitting out money for something that's over in the amount of time it takes to take a piss.

I like the game to be long enough to actually warrant a purchase, feel like an adventure, take me places, do shit, make it feel like this was worth the time. Rather than it being five minutes later and I just feel like "oh...", and have to move on with my life.
>>
>>343558541
BotW has a little bit of level design to the world, but it still looks empty.
>>
>>343557385
Excessive focus on story. Games will try to be incredibly sad and melodramatic in an attempt to fool you into forming some sort of sentimental attachment.
>>
How about an open world filled with unique things as opposed to copy and paste shit scattered around. I could get behind the concept if it was actually memorable to go around and explore if I wasn't doing the same fucking thing throughout the whole game.
>>
>>343558384
You're probably not old enough to remember before 6th gen.
>>
File: 1466228385220.jpg (599 KB, 1000x1273) Image search: [Google]
1466228385220.jpg
599 KB, 1000x1273
>>343558541
Oh boy
>>
>>343558817
How about a non open world game that is actually achievable because the areas aren't a million yards wide?
>>
>>343558595
>Between a game that's 1 hour long and one that's 50 hours long, I can tell you which one I'd rather spend money on here.
The irony is that I'd probably have more fun in a 1 hour long game that was well made than any 50 hour game that exists to date.
>>
>>343558796
Alternatively there could be an incredibly minimalist gimmick when it comes to story, and the writers will intentionally leave things vague and unexplained to try and keep discussion about their game fresh and hope it keeps people hyped for a sequel.
>>
>>343558308

Don't forget that your choices matter
>>
>>343556430
Have you played anything by Vanillaware?
>>
>>343558854
Not him but I was in middle school when the psx was new and everyone in my school had one.
If you go even further back than that, the NES was extremely mainstream.
Normies have always been into videogames, if you think they somehow 'discovered' them now you have to be the underage one here.
>>
>>343558541
Theres an older game called Pathologic that sounds like what youre talking about. It throws you into the world, and you have a time limit to figure out whats going on. People will do things with eachother, and things happen whether youre there or not, although being there can change them. Its possible to just dick around the town the entire time and not know anything about the plot, but can tell things have changed.
>>
>>343556842
>>343557385
TLOU games. Look at the new God of War.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.