[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best 3D Mario platformer? http://www.strawpoll.me/10647779
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
File: 1405272295676.jpg (29 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
1405272295676.jpg
29 KB, 640x400
What is the best 3D Mario platformer?

http://www.strawpoll.me/10647779
>>
>>343535119
Not fucking Sunshine, that's for sure.
>>
Galaxy 2 or 64, any other answer is wrong
>>
>>343535119
Sunshine, for sure.
>>
>>343535119
this is... actually really hard for me to decide. I feel like all of the games have their fair share of a handful of flaws that makes neither really stand out from the others. There is no best mario 3D platformer. my vote's going to 3DLand.
>>
File: 1467255973233.gif (1 MB, 400x240) Image search: [Google]
1467255973233.gif
1 MB, 400x240
>>343536740
>All this text
>3DLand

Really?
>>
>>343537323
my reason is dumb and simple. it has my favorite Bowser fight, which utilizes platforming elements.
>>
Maybe Sunshine, not sure
>>
64 is the best easily

but else here thinks 3d land > 3d world.
>>
>>343535119
>64 winning by this much
I didn't know this place was still overrun with nostalgiafags.
>>
>>343539665
Sometimes the older stuff really is better.
>>
>>343535607

Serious question though.

Is Galaxy 2 comfier than Galaxy?
>>
>>343540275
And a lot of times it's not. 64 is not that good.
>>
Galaxy was one of the best games of all time.
>>
>>343540401
Well Galaxy1 is a more relaxing ride throughout, although Galaxy 2 has tighter level design and more variety
>>
>>343540515

Depends on what you're looking for, but if you enjoy a fucking gargantuan skill ceiling, and being able to break levels with acrobatic skills 64 is the best
>>
i've only played super mario sunshine and had fun with it as a kid. I wanted to emulate mario galaxy 1 and 2 since I heard such good things, but I didn't know how to set up the wiimote pointer if I'm only playing with xbox controller

Are they really fun?
>>
>>343540605
Just kidding guys. I suck nigger dicks.
>>
>>343540875

Yeah the galaxy games are a pretty neat ride. Unfortunately I consider them just that, a ride. They have a lot of creativity, so they are interesting for one play through, but they are really linear and really easy which makes them a bore to play through more than once, as the main thing it has going (creative ideas) has worn off.
>>
>>343540401
>comfier
No hub world, so no, Galaxy 2 is not comfier.
>>
>>343540662
>>343541185

Makes me sad, but I'll still probably play it.

What games are even worth getting on the Wii besides Galaxy? And maybe Mario Kart I guess.
>>
>>343541309
Mario Galaxy 2 is honestly the best mario game, but ya it doesn't have a nice real hubworld.

As for wii games
Metroid Prime 3
No More Heroes 1+2 if you like character action games but without Platinum's flavor
Madworld too.
Super Paper Mario if you like Paper Mario for the story and not the gameplay.

That's all at the top of my head.
>>
>>343541309
Rhythm Heaven Fever
Sonic Colors
Donkey Kong Country Returns

those are a few I can think of off the top of my head
>>
>>343541309

just stick with first party games mostly. Some people recommend third party "gems" like no more heroes, madworld, etc. but they are mostly janky ass overrated pieces of crap. Otherwise, there are various light gun games if you like that, sonic colors is okay, tatsunoko vs capcom, and I hear muramasa is good
>>
>>343541631
>>343541649
>>343541870

Thanks for the opinions fellas.
>>
>>343535119
>64 winning
Fuck these nostalgiafags, that game aged like milk. At the very least include 64DS played on a 3ds.
>>
nothing compares to mario 64
>>
Why does everyone hate 3D World?
>>
>>343542443

I hate it for the level design mostly. You can defend 3d land as its level designs are based on "obstacle courses" but 3d world went more with a "playground" design. The levels in 3d world offer no challenge and are way to big/open/empty both to make it playable for four players, and because it felt like they cared far more about hiding green stars than designing tight, platforming challenges.

3d world has sever fucking levels that are literally giant rectangles with three hidden green stars, and a flag pole
>>
>>343542240
The only thing that has aged about the game is the glitchy, early 3D tech and the graphics, which aren't even that intrusive. 64 still has the best overall quality between control of Mario/momentum, course design and variety, and content.

I think in Sunshine, you feel like you're the most in control of Mario, and the platforming is fun, but it drops the ball with all the recycled missions and blue coins. A lot of the courses also feel very samey and there were too many gimmick missions.

The Galaxy games are beautiful, all of the courses are fantastically designed, and it has the best boss fights, but Mario feels too stiff and you feel so restricted in your movements, so they're actually worse than both 64 and Sunshine for me (although I am a platform junky).
>>
Galaxy 2 for the best overall level design, from tightness to diversity to difficulty curve. 64 has the best movement mechanics but the level design is pretty damn loose until the last 2 worlds, Sunshine would be a bit better across the board if not for the lack of aesthetic diversity and arguably the FLUDD mechanics (the FLUDD-less levels are also the best 3D Mario levels period but there's so few of them), Galaxy has better atmosphere than 2 but a very low overall difficulty, and the "3D" entries generally subvert the entire argument by basically being 2D Mario in 3D - if one favors those, odds are the other 3D Mario games are travesties in their eyes.
>>
Any answer besides 64 is so utterly and objectively wrong you may as well get "pleb" tattooed on your neck while you're at it

Sad how many people let the speedrunner autists ruin it for them
>>
64 without a doubt
>>
>n64 is the basic of platforming with some flying mechanic.
>gc introduces some physics such as hovering and speeding through water
>wii introduces gravity mechanic.
>didnt play the others

Torn between n64 and gc.
>>
>>343544491
Forgot to mentioned that the wii also goes deeper with the physics.

Still torn between n64 and gc though.
>>
>>343544491

I think Galaxy and parts of Sunshine were better "fundamental" platformers than 64. 64 is good in that the level designs are mostly wide open playgrounds and you have a moveset to mess around in them with but in terms of doing things like well-timed jumps and obstacle course design then its sequels are better at that. It's like another anon said earlier, 64 is great if you want to break stage design with acrobatic feats.
>>
Alright I don't mean to start a flame war or anything, but as someone who has played every game on this list whats the biggest draw of 64? Is it the openess? The overall design? I don't think it controls better than Galaxy or has more interesting environments either. I'm not calling it a bad game it comes in 2nd behind Galaxy 1/2 which is one of those games that's hard to call different from one another, but I do overall think 2 is a better time.
>>
File: 1453548531410.png (971 KB, 1253x914) Image search: [Google]
1453548531410.png
971 KB, 1253x914
>anything but 64
It objectively has the deepest movement mechanics of any Mario game.
>>
>>343545660
>I don't think it controls better than Galaxy

There's your problem. Mario 64 mario has so much more potential, dexterity, moves, and a ridiculous skill ceiling. Mario galaxy mario on the other hand has a lot of moves nerfed, has a babby mode spin recovery move, and has a very low skill ceiling, which makes replays much less fun. (even if mario galaxy mario controlled like in 64, it still wouldn't be that good, because the level designs aren't really conducive to crazy acrobatic antics, because the level designs are practically just corridors to the next galaxy)
>>
File: 1453664561700.png (459 KB, 707x778) Image search: [Google]
1453664561700.png
459 KB, 707x778
>>343545963
>>
>>343546292
So replay value is the draw? Alright I can believe that. I actually have a blast looking for different unique ways to get stars in 64, but overall the "deep" movement options to add enough to put it above the Galaxy games what both games do well they do perfectly so someone like me who looks for a generally lighter experience on the first go around had more fun with Galaxy and that's generally the one I find myself going back to the most.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.