[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much do you value a "remind me what we're doing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7
File: 10-ItBeginsAgain015[1].png (13 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
10-ItBeginsAgain015[1].png
13 KB, 480x320
How much do you value a "remind me what we're doing and where i have to go" feature in a video game?

I didn't place much value on them until I went back to one game after a while and had no clue where I was supposed to go.
>>
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 500x375
Kill urself my man
>>
the one in fire red and leaf green was shoehorned in
>>
only in handheld games as you shouldn't be playing them while at home anyway
>>
File: 1466137405944.jpg (25 KB, 338x358) Image search: [Google]
1466137405944.jpg
25 KB, 338x358
>>343472407
>we will never get a series of games as good as the Battle Network series again
>>
>>343472669
The only flaw is that BN is grindy as fuck. But once you get the chips you want the battle system is sublime.
>>
Holy fuck this game had that feature? Holy fucking shit. I forgot what i had to do three separate times and i had to go around the entire net and reality and talk to every mother fucker until the story finally progressed.
>>
didn't really care about them back then.
but ever since i ended up not playing tales of the abyss for a month and ended up wandering across the world for a whole day because i forgot what i was supposed to do, i appreciate them more
>>
>>343472773
it's only grindy if you suck :)
>>
>Play game after long time
>Can't remember what to do
>"Press L to talk to Megaman and be reminded what to do"
>Press L
>Megaman tells jokes

Fuck this shit 0/10 worst game ever.
>>
>>343472951
Fuck you, the Humor program was the best.
>>
>>343472951
>leaving the humor thing installed
>>
I don't mind them.
>>
I love popping up mgs because of that, but I know the shit out of that game
>>
Helpful and at worst harmless. Tales games have some amusing ones that are written like diaries
>>
File: 20160315041651859.png (640 KB, 429x690) Image search: [Google]
20160315041651859.png
640 KB, 429x690
>Damn I forgot when I'm supposed to
>Hit tip button
>"We can't waste any more time, hurry!"
>>
>>343472897
Tales of the Abyss has a little journal you can access from the party menu that tells you what previously just happened and usually the last sentence even tells you where to like
>"Alright well I guess we are off to Baticul to talk to the King"
>>
>>343472407
Essential if you leave a game for a long time and come back to it later. Can't count the number of times I've started games all over again just because I had no fucking idea where I was or what I was supposed to do.
>>
>>343472407
They're a great and unobtrusive way to increase a games accessibility without compromising it's difficulty.
>>
>>343473623
it's been so long since i played it.
maybe i never noticed.
or maybe it was one of those reminders that managed to be vague as hell
>better go see whatshisface
and then never mentioning where he is.
>>
>>343472407
I like the way some modern games do it where if you're stuck somewhere stupid for too long eventually your character or a side one will grumble "Hmm maybe I can climb that box" or whatever.
>>
>>343475163
This is annoying because the character does it too quickly. They rarely give you time to figure it out.

These hint systems should be completely optional, like in Metroid Prime, so people who like exploring are actually given the chance.
>>
>>343472773
The drop rates are substantially higher if you kill viruses faster.
>>
>>343472407
Someone post that humor or chivalry program.
>>
File: Dunban_2.jpg (118 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
Dunban_2.jpg
118 KB, 800x1200
A game that has a 60-80 hour single-player story

Xenoblade Chronicles did this right

bring up the UI and press the story button that gives a brief summary of what you're doing in the story
Because you'll be spending 5 hours doing sidequests, rare monster fighting, affinity grinding, and exploring before doing anything story related every 2 hours of story progression
>>
File: Sad Megaman.jpg (4 KB, 134x102) Image search: [Google]
Sad Megaman.jpg
4 KB, 134x102
>>343472407
>Jacking into game console
>press L
>How does it feel being in a game, megaman?
>Each objects that can be jacking in had different dialogue

This little details astound me. Too bad they removed it in 5.
>>
>>343473886
I wouldn't say the Battle Network games were difficult. I mean, for RPGs they were insanely straightforward. The only real difficult part was navigating the world because EVERYTHING is a maze, and even then, they weren't really hard mazes. They just made getting anywhere kinda annoying. Except in BN1 where everything looked exactly the fucking same so you kept going around in circles. And in BN3 where the maps were deliberately designed so that the player would take forever to get anywhere.
>>
>>343472407
>Pokémon DPPt
>load save and it tells you what the last few things you did and when you did them
Pretty cool feature when I went back to start sending things forward
>>
I prefer something like Baldur's Gate had, where your character writes a journal of their exploits, and you can look through it to remember what happened last in each questline. Games shouldn't tell you LITERALLY what you need to do next, but instead kickstart your memory into recalling it all its own. It gives the player a sense of self accomplishment.
>>
>>343478561
I'd agree, that + small hints are best
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.