[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Clash of the titans
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 1
File: logo.0.jpg (502 KB, 3576x1680) Image search: [Google]
logo.0.jpg
502 KB, 3576x1680
Who is the best RPG developer and why?
>>
>>343441557

So I feel that Obsidian has the most talented writers but Bethesda makes better games.
>>
where's atlus
>>
>>343441659
>Obsidian has the most talented writers

All their good writers quit.
>>
>>343441659
>>343441787
Hi Todd
>>
>>343441691
any noteable games?
>>
>>343441557
Atlus because they make the best games.
WRPGs have been shit for a while
>>
Black Isle
Because they did the most balanced games in the industry, both story and gameplay. Whereas those other studios, even though they made great games, their games always have a downside or something shit in them.
>>
>>343441557
Bethesda by far
>>
>>343441896
lets reduce it to wrpgs for now
>>
>is
>at least 2 of them are long dead

Also where's Spiders?
>>
>>343441895
Shin Megami Tensei series, and all of it's spin offs like Devil Survivor, Soul Hacker, Persona, Digital Devil Saga and TMS
Etrian Odyssey
Radiant Historia
>>
Atlus
>>
>>343441557
For consistent rpg experience? Black Isle honestly. The skill and legacy of that company is part of the reason why Obsidian is so damn good.

Bethesda really doesn't make rpgs, but with another few releases they might make legit great games by abandoning all rpg pretenses.

Troika gave us VtM:B, which is a magnum opus worth going out on, but I don't feel their catalog can match BI or Obsidian.

Gothic 2 is much the same for Piranha Bytes, and I know it's a controversial opinion, but I don't think they've made a good game since Gothic 2 and it's expansions.

BioWare was always medicore to decent. They hit a runt where they just made garbage. Then they finally hit medicore with DA:I. It's the rpg company for people who are still fresh to rpgs. I'll give them BG2, that rpg was legit pretty good with the expansion, not great though.

I'd probably say for retro, it's Black Isle. I think only Looking Glass Studios can really match their catalog for greatness.

Obsidian with KotOR 2, NV, and even Alpha Protocol make it the best modern rpg dev to me. They understand what makes an rpg, and go to the level required to make it work even if some other elements of the game suffer.
>>
>>343441895
>Atlus
>not notable

See >>343442471 they are the great jrpg company.
>>
>>343442471
with jrpgs i woud have included other developers as squaresoft as well, but jrpgs arent the focus.
>>
Pre or post Dragon Age Bioware?
>>
obsidian is shit tier
>>
>>343442684
Troika made two masterpieces and one decent game. Pretty unique studio as it got shut down so quickly. Pretty good hit miss ratio though.
>>
Whats the best thing each developer made?

>Bioware
Baldur's Gate 2
>Bethesda
Morrowind or Shivering Isles for Oblivion
>Troika
Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines
>Black Isle
Planescape Torment
>Obsidian
Fallout new Vegas
>Piranha Bytes
Gothic 2 NOTR
>>
I want to say Atlus but their new games are cringe as hell
RG, PQ, #FE etc
>>
>>343442684
I would say that Risen is a good game.
>>
>>343442931
Well honestly it's worth including jrpgs, because as much as I love crpgs, there are some jrpgs that match the depth and complexity of even the best rpgs.

>>343443158
It is. If I was doing a tournament here they'd be in the semi-finals. They didn't deserve to be cut down after VtM:B, but it's life.

>>343443272
I found it to be decent and a much better game than Gothic 3. But it's not for me.
>>
>>343443252
I'd say Jade Empire or Mass Effect 1 were better than BG2, never got the BG2 hype, the base game is boring as shit.
>>
>>343443252

>saying that New Vegas is Obsidian's best game when PoE, KotOR II, and Stick of Truth exist
>>
>>343441557
Well Troika and Black Isle died and their best members went to Obsidian. I don't know who Piranha are and lord knows the last time Bethesda and BioWare made a good game. So Obsidian.
>>
>>343443258
EO and mainline SMT is still good
>>
>>343443252
For BI I'd probably say Fallout 2.

PS:T is one of my favorite stories ever told, but PS:T in my opinion is a bit more limited than FO2 in options and replay-ability.

>>343443525
KotOR2 is the only one that I think comes close to NV. PoE was too combat focused and SoT is great, but it didn't have the systems I liked.
>>
>Bethesda
>Bioware
Maybe over a decade ago.
>>
>>343443492
BG2 is pretty awesome mostly because of its conversations and magic system.

Seriously one of the best realizations of DnD magic into videos games, the freedom is unreal.
>>
>>343441557
The first time I played Fallout 3 it triggered some kind of autism in me and video games have never been the same since. Now there's nothing that fulfills me as much as spending 300+ hours doing lots of little of nothings in a Bethesda-type rpg.
>>
>>343443492
Fuck. No.
Especially not JE.
Mass effect already suffered from dumbdownitis, jade empire was a modified kotor which was a worse NWN with the franchise bonus, which was completely blasé compared to IE games.
>>
Bethesda is clearly the weakest studio on that list.

They never made a truly great game and their best stuff also heavily relies on community fixes.

Second last place goes to Bioware. They made some pretty good stuff back in the days but shit went downhill after Dragon Age Origins and nowadays they are only producing glorified shooters

4th place goes to Obsidian who make plenty of decent-good games but nearly all of them are either unfinished or very buggy.

3rd place goes to Piranha Bytes. Gothic 2 NOTR is my personal favorite RPG of all time and Gothic 1 and Risen were pretty good as well. The Risen series was pretty mediocre though with the first game being the only decent one. But i mostly blame negative publisher influence for their failures. If ELEX turns out as bad as Risen they will get demoted though.

2nd place goes to Troika. They made potential masterpieces with Arcanum and VTMB but both games are very unfinished and broken. Fans helped keeping those classics alive. If only that studio would have gotten more chances. It had so much potential.

1st is Black Isle. They made great games from the beginning till the very end. You can't say anything else. Van Buren looked kinda bad though so i guess they died at the right time before their success had the chance to ruin them.
>>
>>343441557
>Western shit

Out of those Black Isle and Obsidian are obviously the best, but the competition there is two small dead companies and two steaming piles of shit that's not really fair. Also, Black Isle and Obsidian were dead too, they just got revived.
>>
>>343443947
>BG2 is pretty awesome mostly because of its conversations and magic system.
Your sin is forgetting to mention that it had unreal levels of presentation, DAVID FUCKING WARNER and his voice made of awesome, atmosphere out the ass...
Bioware had talent for this kind of thing then, it was pretty much unchallenged in terms of those. Even now there is not much that comes close or surpasses it.
>>
While Obsidian games are mostly buggy and unfinished - Atleast they try to make something great.

>You have 1 year to make this game gold!
>Oh shit! We get to work on another Fallout game! We need to make use of this chance to make a truly fantastic game
Fallout 3 got made in 4 years of development while New Vegas got made in less than a year.

And don't come me with this ''Fallout 3 created the assets that Obsidian used. Fallout 3 used fucking Oblivion assets and Oblivion needed to redo plenty of models and animations for New Vegas because the Fallout 3 content was simply trash.
>>
>>343444659
*Obsidian needed to
>>
>>343443978
I had the same with Skyrim and Mass Effect.

I would say either Bethesda or Bioware. Sadly Dragon age Inquisition and Fallout 4 were disappointing but it still have hope for Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Troika & Black isle are that so they don't count for me. The last game that I really enjoyed from Piranha Bytes was Gothic 2. Risen 1 was okay but after the first chapter it lost a lot of its charm.

The only game that I really have enjoyed from Obsidian was Fallout New Vegas most of their other games were pretty meh (I don't count South Park stick of truth because South Park studios wrote the story and designed the environment).
>>
>>343444095
>Western shit
what do you mean by this?
jrpgs can barely be called rpgs same holds true for western ones (especially new ones) but the japs are not even trying
>>
I thought Bioware was top tier until Mass Effect.

Fuck me I guess.
>>
>>343444659
Obsidian was too ambitious with New Vegas and because Bethesda planned to release Skyrim next year there was no real space to postpone the release date of New Vegas.
>>
>>343444659
>Fallout 3 used fucking Oblivion assets
Which in turn used Morrowind assets.

Seriously, Bethesda made Morrowind and they've been stuck using the same technology and development methods since then, fucking hell, this is mental retardation level stupidity.
>>
>>343446164
Single modders do total conversion mods that are far better than the main games.

Bethesda don't even know how ladders work. They are so bad that they give all of Gamebyro a bad name.
>>
>>343446428
that reminds me enderal is around the corner
>>
>>343446428
This really is the thing people don't point out enough.

People always blame Gamebyro for being outdated but look at Rockstar who made Bully with it or ATLUS who made Catherine. At the end its just a way to make a game and Gamebyro can do its job well like anything else.

You could give Bethesda any tool/engine/language and the quality would still be ass.
>>
>>343443252
Gothic > Planet Escape > New Vegas > Vampire > Morrowind > BG2
>>
>>343448567
Vampire > Journal Update > Gothic = New Vegas > Morrowind > BG2
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.