[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Name ONE video game where weapon degradation has been a good idea
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3
File: SHO.jpg (111 KB, 1430x1044) Image search: [Google]
SHO.jpg
111 KB, 1430x1044
Name ONE video game where weapon degradation has been a good idea
>>
>>343406609
Fire emblem, at least pre Fates
It makes you realize theres something called an economy in game. Its another layer of strategy in choosing stronger weapons vs weaker ones that are cheaper.
>>
>>343406609
Someone already made a thread you faggot
>>
Dark Cloud

The actual weapon degradation was awesome; you were encouraged to change your gameplay based on the enemy (or enemies) you were fighting. The system as a whole was too shallow, though, as all it did was cost a few gold and a couple inventory slots to completely nullify.
>>
dark souls 2
fallout new vegas
>>
All of them?
>>
Monster Hunter

Weapon sharpness added a new layer of strategy when deciding which parts of a monster were good to hit. Multiple skills focus on it too either boosting sharpness level, halving the rate at which the weapon dulls, or giving you a boost in sharpness for the next attack following an attack that was deflected.
>>
>>343406609
Dark Souls, the first game.
The Witcher 3, kind of works.

Skyrim would have been much better with a weapon degradation system too.
>>
>>343406923
Yea good dungeon crawlers are more about item and resource management than actual combat. Alot of games with item degradation shouldnt have this mechanic because the focus is on combat, and that shit just gets in the way of a good time. Witcher 3 was fucking stupid for that shit, its easily fixed of course, but therein lies the question of why its even in there when it adds nothing but annoyance if you ignore it to long.
>>
>>343406609
Apotheon
Forces you to pick up new weapons on the go and try out different stuff
However the stack system prevents it from actually being truly relevant

Games balanced around having weapons break regardless, without repair systems are the best
>>
>>343406609
Far Cry 2, if only for the weapon jamming which kept things interesting
>>
>>343406609

Works well in Fire Emblem to keep the uber powerful game changing items limited.

That said I like how Fates does it where they're counterbalanced instead and staves/special items are what's limited.

Having someone's legendary sword only have 25 uses is a bit dumb. Looking at you Ragnell.
>>
How about games that do it wrong?
I'll start off
Oblivion
>>
>>343407316
durability doesn't mean shit in DaS1, i repaired my stuff maybe once through actual usage, and one more time due to some shitty acid attack. it's barely even an inconvenience since you can repair at any bonfire
>>
>>343407602

System shock 2
>>
>>343406609
Morrowind
>>
>>343407449
This. Tons of games have good item degredation. I would almost argue if you want to take your game to the next level it is necessary from a survival standpoint.
>>
>>343407316

dark souls is wrong, demon's souls is right

>>343406981

dark souls 2 did a few things right but doesn't compare to demon's souls imo
>>
>>343407560
I saw a bunch of people bitching about this the other day on here and I was surprised they thought it was bad. I loved it because sometimes combat would just shit on you and you would have to be creative.
>>
>>343406609

The urinal weapon and the limited firearm usages in Madness: Interactive

It's been a terrible "feature" in any other thing ever made and it was only good in madness because the game was centred around constantly dropping and picking up shit
>>
>>343407802
Most games have some kind of item or something that repairs the weapon in use, which actually ruins the whole mechanic in my opinon because anyone with half a braincell will start hording these items so repairs arent an issue, but just an annoyance. Make weapons wear down and weaken but dont have them flat out break and be destroyed, just make them gradually become beat up and the player can choose to use something more pristine theyve found.
>start with a nice sword
>by the end of the game is completely bent out of shape and chipped
>on next playthrough this weapon has all the experience of the previous playthrough and is refreshed
Give items some character, dont make them throwaway consumables.
>>
the new Zelda! xD
>>
Shadow of Rome.
*Scimitar breaks in two*
*cheers to crowd*
"Use this!"
*a giant fucking poleaxe appears*
>>
File: 1467164857903.jpg (504 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1467164857903.jpg
504 KB, 1920x1080
in l4d2 the devs specifically put weapon pickups instead of ammo pickups on some maps to make players play with more diffirent weapons
>>
>>343407602
>using soul gems to recharge magic items
Just hell.
>>
>>343408403
I like that though, when games have a definate "best weapon" then everyone will use that weapon, when that weapon is out of ammo/duarability its a chance for the player to actually dig deep and creates memorable scenarios rather than just blurring through the game with the best items and few hiccups.
>>
>he doesn't like weapon degradation
>>
>>343406609
Baldur's gate
>>
>>343406609
Vagrant story, weapons got two stats that buff their damage, one that decreases and other that increases on attacks.
>>
>>343407694
Man I bet you enjoy most of your weapons having the consistency of wet toilet paper covered in anthrax.
>>
File: 1375585581027.png (97 KB, 303x257) Image search: [Google]
1375585581027.png
97 KB, 303x257
So what's better when it hits zero?

>Lowest damage output
>Weapon becomes unusable until repaired
>Weapon breaks entirely

>>343407187
MHX/Gen also adds in a Blunt skill that increases damage when on green sharpness or lower, making high raw weapons look just as if not more lucrative than some options with good white or blue.
>>
Oblivion did it pretty well with the repair hammers imo. It was just the right amount of annoying and once you invest in it you feel good about buping the strenght of your weapons over their limit.
>>
Skyrim could have used weapon degradation. Crafting is stupid overpowered and there's nothing to offset it.
>>
>>343410242
I prefer it breaking entirely. It's the kind of oh-shit-you-screwed-up moment the other two options can't match.
>>
>>343410242
>>343410697
if only you could center strategy on breaking your opponents weapons especially if its those enemies that one shot you
>>
It works in some roguelikes
>>
>>343410242
Weapon sharpness that affects the damage as well as breaking once sharpness hits zero. Sharpening stones for days.
>>
I like how Dark Souls 2 and 3 handle it, but it never really becomes an issue either so it still feels pointless. The very few traps and attacks that actually deal degradation are non issues as well. Those weird mushroom bugs just before Shrine of Amina were annoying as fuck though.

I like what Nioh seems to be going for. Equipment degradation is fairly rapid but you're also showered in items so you need to switch out your gear constantly. I like the idea that everything is meant to be replaceable. Sure, there are repair items as well but I feel like there's a focus on always tossing out old gear for new gear.
>>
>>343406609
Any brawler where you pick up items from the environment/enemies (from Streets of Rage on down the line)

Super Hot
>>
As far as Fire Emblem games go...
>Reach an armory/shops
>See what units will need new weapons, write down a list, buy the new weapons
>Armories and shops could be semi-frequent between chapters or you could go a fair number of chapters without seeing one
>When you've got a lot of cash you can just buy more weapons than you need just in case
>Never really an issue
The only problem came with silver and unique weapons, but for iron/steel weapons there was little issues. Money-to-weapons-needed-per-unit ratio isn't ever a problem, inventory/storage space is only ever a problem near the end-game, and usually when a weapon got close to breaking I would just get it down to about 3 or 4 uses, switch it out, and sell the old weapon. I think if shops had limited weapons to sell or if the shops were more scarce, then maybe it'd become an issue, but otherwise very few games have done weapon degradation well. But now they're using the dumb "greater strengths and greater weaknesses" system, so whatever.
>>
Soul Blade. When your weapon break, you fight with your fists
>>
>>343407449
Shit breaking after a short time and then just breaking is fucking retarded. In real life stuff degrades but it can take ages and you can patch it up to retain part of that function.

Shit just breaking after a day's use unless it's some item of shoddy quality just reminds me I'm playing some shitty video game and take me out of it.
>>
Having replayed Nox just recently, I can say that weapon degradation without being able to repair in the field is bullshit. You should have at least two sets of gear with you because one will break eventually and you can only repair at vendors. The last level doesn't have vendors at all in the areas where you meet most enemies.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.