[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why Street Fighter series are considered better than MK or DoA
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3
Why Street Fighter series are considered better than MK or DoA or Tekken?
DoA and Tekken have much higher attack and combo number, in addition DoA allow to parry and counter.

Technically MK and SF have similar number of attacks but SF has much better visual style and very satisfying sound/visual effect when attack connects, plus same attack changes depending on the distance from target.
But why SF is considered so much better than Tekken or DoA when from what I seen it is actually much simpler?
Considering trying SF and not sure whether its worth it.

>pic random
>>
sauce on webm?
>>
>>343401818
that's some high quality animation right there i tel you what.
>>
Try Killer Instinct on PC. It's free with weekly rotating characters. It has huge combos, counters/shadow counter/counter breakers/too much else to list.
>>
>>343401919
>>343402028

Some guy on Reddit.
For a website that thrives off of faggotry, it's amazing how much OC they pump that ends up being recycled on 4chan.
>>
>>343401919
You faggots have gotten lazy, there is a fucking sauce on the background in large letters.
>>
In Street Fighter you block by holding back or down and back.

In MK you hold a block button

In Tekken you hold back or down and back to block, but you can also block while just being in neutral. Tekken also has most of it's movelist gated behind having to whiff 3 moves before the move you want comes out.
>>
>>343401818
Easier to get into.
>>
>>343402110
>amazing how much OC they pump
4ch is good for quick chitchats, any bigger projects require cooperation outside of it.

Forums provide creators with constant support AKA circlejerk which might be more motivational than the situation when you post something on 4ch and its get purged by mod, gets "no oen cares faggot" replies or gets to the 10 page before anyone sees it.

On forums anything just hangs in its own thread receiving likes or whatever they use and praise, much better chance it gets actually finished as well.
>>
>>343402270
Is that the only advantage?
>>
>>343402110
Only the /b/ equivalent on reddit is faggy.
They have shitposting and spoonfeeders and everything bad that we have too.
I think if the downvote system weren't in place, nobody would hate them.

If people are still butthurt that they vectorized some exploitable /b/ shit like coolface, advicedog and triforce comics then you need to remember that those were made for editing and creativity even when they were only posted on /b/.

I use them when I need some autists to dig up information that I can't get normally.
/v/ has always been a better news site.
But reddit is too positive and /v/ is too negative and I'm just missing the days before I found 4chan and just used oldschool forums.
>>
>>343402516
longest standing tournament community, which will exist with or without "esports" exposure.

Been street fightin in tournaments since the arcade days.
>>
>>343401818
Holy uncanny valley batman.
>>
>>343401818
What artist.
>>
>>343402613
Community is fine and all but technically where the superiority or its all about community?
>>
3D fighters are bad. Westerners don't know how to make good fighting games. But nobody really considers SF the best among 2D fighters. It's just by far the most accessible one.
>>
>>343401818
MK has far less attacks and way more recycled moves

DOAs movelist is a bunch of fluff of useless strings that will fuck you over if you use them. Many of the "moves" start with the same animations and hitboxes

The reason why DOA and MK are considered shit is because they have far more balancing and bug issues than SF and a lot of their games have some of the most shallow and stake meta in the industry.

I see very few people hate on Tekken and Bamco just sucks at releasing their fucking games in a timely manner
>>
>>343401818
I haven't played MK X but i played MK9. The movement was stiff, special moves could be spammed way too much, set combos, block button is shit, violence and gore is a shit gimmick.

On the other hand DoA is a waifubait game (which is an immediate hit to it's credibility) and is mostly restricted to rush down combat.

Tekken's juggling and enormous movesets is offputting and the gameplay itself is mostly defensive, involving poking into enemy defenses.
>>
>>343401818
Street Fighter has a history of producing great fighting games at a consistent rate, while MK and DOA rely on gimmicks like excessive violence or sex appeal to get people interested.

Tekken can be seen as better, but it is in a bit of a slump lately.
>>
>>343401818
At this point the brand name alone is carrying SF.
SF was better than all those series with 1 to 4.
And 4 was already stretching it.
But with 5 its definitly worse than 90% of other fighting games out there.
Its just that people have so high sunk costs aka invested time into the series that they would never bother with another series.
>>
File: 24626644906_bc9f14df15_b.jpg (265 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
24626644906_bc9f14df15_b.jpg
265 KB, 1024x576
>>343401818
How about king of fighters or Marvel vs capcom?

Is it the 3 fighter teams?
>>
>>343403280
>>343403424
Well people always wonder why SF5 is still so alive.
But you have to keep in mind that Mortal Kombat had like 10 really trashy games from 2000 to 2010 and those reached from shit to mediocre in quality.
And yet that series never died or was ever unprofitable.
People still bought armagedon or MK vs DC.
If i actually had bought armagedon back then i would have never ever bought another game from that series.
>>
>>343403424
SFV is fine and is probably the strongest first iteration Street Fighter ever released. people are investing time with it because they know the game will be alive for years as compared to other fighting games that die off after a year.
>>
File: 1440839746264.jpg (674 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1440839746264.jpg
674 KB, 1280x720
>>343403060
I was talking more about SF IV and V

>>343403115
>The movement was stiff
Politely disagree, animation was great in MK9, subzero felt like a murder machine.
Apart from that game was trying to be MK3 with better graphics and fluid animation and it succeeded in that, whether its a good or bad thing I cant tell because many people wanted exactly that, now whether they really wanted it thats another story.

>violence and gore is a shit gimmick
Partially agree, MK9 kinda missed few things to grip me for longer and fighters always looked more or less the same after a battle.
Gore was ok but in the end it was a gimmick that does nothing when the rest of the game missing.
Too bad gore in MK9 was just old plain boring gore, if you remember MK3, fatalities were far more creative and original, in MK9 it was all about rip and tear.

>DoA is a waifubait game
Technically wise the game is good, many attacks, I love parry/counter abilities, the best thing is fluidity of animation though, something other games cant compare with DoA, MK lacks variety in attacks, SF and Tekken lack fluidity, 60fps is no enough when attacks connect almost instantly, that said its only true if we compare it to DoA fighters that utilise realistic fight style, like Hitomi and Akira, some fighters that use made up fighting style lack this fluidity since all their attack have to be elaborate but fast at the same time.

>>343403280
>DOA rely on gimmicks like sex appeal
Partially true, technically wise this game is still solid if you ask me, although visually DoA is a bit bland apart from superior tits and asses if you ask me.

>>343403465
Never tried any, I might tho because why the heck not.
>>
>>343403007
plus nigga that shit is fun. Tekken is a nigs game, MK is trash, and other fighters are just weeb activities.
>>
Street Fighter and Tekken are both generally considered good. Street Fighter would probably be the most respected 2D series. 3D is probably Virtua Fighter, though Tekken is way more popular and a close second.

DOA has always been a poor man's Virtua Fighter that relied on tits to sell, along with its flashy stage gimmicks. Only it's most recent incarnation is half decent as a fighter.

MK is kind of in the same boat, just with violence. MK9 finally made the combat feel decent, but it was and still is primarily selling on it's violence.
>>
>>343403465
SNK fighters have always been second fiddle to Capcom outside of Mexico and South America.

MvC is well liked but has the worst FGC, and the high level play is dominated by like 5% of the roster.
>>
>>343402625
It's written in the webm
>>
>>343404278
Boob physics on a psx is technologically impressive since most games don't even have it today. Doa on Xbox has drunken master old guy which was really fun. Virtual fighter hasn't been relevant since Saturn which it ran 60fps. Tekken makes the best usage of the z axis and its board was the groundwork for the psx. Mkx is complete shit compared to 9. Especially the art direction
>>
>>343404136
Play king of fighters, Marvel vs capcom has infamously unbalanced character rosters and Touch of death BS.
>>
>>343402109
You mean a weekly rotating character
>>
>>343402109
>W10 exclusive
It's not even that I'm super against W10, I just don't want to have to go through the trouble of installing the shit.
>>
>>343401818
mk is more casual/sales than sf
tekken is deeper than sf
>>
MK really needs to ditch the block button. Also I think the dismemberment is why the female models always look ugly. like all the body parts are glued together
>>
>>343406158
>ditch the block button
Then how will they defend against "teleports behind you" moves?

Seriously the games are seriously flawed.
>>
>>343404278
Doa proves the axim that pandering to fgc/tourneyfags it's not how to make a popular game they just a majority of edgelord dudes
>>
>>343406158
will always look ugly because now they pander to sjws
>>
>>343401818

Virtua Fighter is the only good 3D fighter.

Tekken was good back in Tekken 4 ( my opinion only), but now not so much, at least 7 shows that they are going back to it, this might be a progress.

Also DOA has too much flaws, you may have fun when you're beginning, but once you know what's up with the characters and how to play at normal/high level, you will learn lot of stuff you won't like.

MKX is a boring and bad game that only sells based on the gore and flashy stuff.
Dial-a-combo, 50/50 situations, please...

Killer Instinct is a good game, and the only worthy game among 2D fighters, as in the one who should compete with SF.

KOF, is an unbalanced and complicated mess, some people find it good, others don't.

Now couldn't you have found a better picture to open this thread?
>>
File: 1440799690035.jpg (781 KB, 1080x1100) Image search: [Google]
1440799690035.jpg
781 KB, 1080x1100
>>343402109
I'll be honest anon, that shit looks awesome, I watched couple of jewtube vids and I like how curahzee it is, the announcer, rhythm, they even got this frame freeze when the attack connects effect I liked so much in SF, the only one fucking problem is. W10 is the system I am purposely trying to avoid.

I dont want that shit anywhere near me, certainly not after MS started to push it disregarding everything, common sense included.
They even bricked laptops and computers that werent compatible with W10 like it was nothing to them.
Plus there is whole spying thing going on, being honest with you I dont think I will EVER even look at W10 much less have it on my PC.
>>
>>343407128
I played not so much ago Tekken 5 on my barely hanging PS2 and I have to say, it still looks and plays awesome.
Later tekkens missed something, not sure what, maybe I am just tired of it, since it was my primary fighter and the others just look fresher to me.

>DOA has too much flaws
I think you mean how many strings are very similar and that some characters are kinda bland and uninteresting or the fact that game banks of flashy action that somewhat breaks it rhythm.
I kinda noticed some sides of DoA that people might dislike but quite honestly I cant tell for sure whether I even dislike them that much.
For example people spit on stage damage areas when I love to manoeuvre my opponent to finally faceprint him into this transformer.
I also like how whole stage can tilt where who have higher ground gets either advantage or disadvantage depending on who you play.
Those things are actually cool, not to mention whole mindgame when the oponent hangs from an edge, Budda was also something that took me by surprise first time I send an opponent to him.
But, some people hate it for whatever reason.
>>
>Le superior limb based combat maymay
>>
>>343408046
Well, it is kinda cool, shame there is no practical use for it.
In the end you still end up relying on blocks, combos and juggles.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.