[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Toriel >keep picking spare to win >progress is indicated
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5
>Toriel
>keep picking spare to win
>progress is indicated by her dialogue changing
>Papyrus
>keep picking spare to win
>progress is indicated by his dialogue chancing
>Undyne
>you're supposed to flee even though picking spare changes her dialogue

Please explain. Was I just supposed to guess that the rules had been changed?
>>
File: 1451719618919.jpg (314 KB, 720x479) Image search: [Google]
1451719618919.jpg
314 KB, 720x479
>>343382123

It's would just be boring if the game kept being the same, you gotta think out of the box sometime

This is exactly what made sans's fight so satisfying
>>
>>343382123
wait, doesn't toriel stop trying to kill you once you reach low HP?
>>
>>343382276

She still attacks, but her attacks will avoid you until you slam yourself onto them yourself
>>
>>343382276
She'll intentionally miss, and I think that you can skip straight to the end of the fight by sparing her at that point, but you do still need to use the spare option.
>>
>>343382123
That's how the entire fucking game works ya dumb dumb.

You were NOT supposed to guess that. You were supposed to figure it out because you genuinely didn't want to kill her, and she's billed multiple times before you fight her as the hero that never gives up.
>>
>>343382123
Undyne was the only one I killed in my first playthrough (although I would have killed Muffet if the fight hadn't ended when she was two hits away) for this very reason. The game does try to hint that you're supposed to run via the escape sequences beforehand, and her comments that you can't escape when you're green, but since I had never bothered running from fights before that, it hadn't occurred to me.
>>
>>343383308
Hydrk hydrk, I killed Muffet even after she spared me.
On my first play through I also killed both Toriel and Undyne.

I need to play a new neutral run and get the rest of the death animations. The ones in genocide are different.
>>
File: tumblr_nz1m8rdHeA1r5lmizo2_1280.jpg (115 KB, 1000x480) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nz1m8rdHeA1r5lmizo2_1280.jpg
115 KB, 1000x480
>>343382123
To be fair, Undyne gives a hint at the beginning of the fight but it's easy to miss. I fought her 4 times before I figured out you could flee.
>>
>>343382123

I avoided killing toriel by intentionally missing every attack, instead of using spare.
>>
>>343382123
>literal color queues indicated in the text to FLEE

Not the games fault you're retarded
>>
>>343383687
this. watch the colors. colors are important in combat in UT
>>
The text literally goes into all caps and changes color when she says "When you are GREEN, you can't RUN"

how much more fucking obvious can it be that when you go back to red you can run?
>>
>>343382123
Meh, I got to muffet, then just said fuck it, I'm not playing this anymore.
>>
>>343382123
The game is purposefully rigged in such a way that you will most likely kill at least one boss.

It sucks, but that is what the game wants you to do. So that you will reset the game.
>>
>>343386745
i actually killed undyne my first run because i didnt know i could spare her. it was a pretty big moment when i found out. thats one of the reasons i loved the game. i knew going into it that it would try its best to trick me and it still did.
>>
>>343386965
That kind of reminds me of Klonoa: I was prepared for a sad ending, and yet I was not prepared.
>>
>>343386745
>>343386965
I ended up realizing sparing wasn't going to allow me to not kill Undyne, so I thought I'd tango with her until she got low, then try.
When I killed her I was like 'GOD DAMNIT'. But then she came back to life and I thought I had done it right.
Then she died again. And I just couldn't continue. Hit me too hard.
>>
File: 1460962841234.jpg (171 KB, 820x1022) Image search: [Google]
1460962841234.jpg
171 KB, 820x1022
>>343382123
Your supposed to CHECK her when you feel like you've run out of traditional options.

Then you're supposed to piece together the fact that she never will give up, because the game then directly tells you that.

What's the only option left? Well, you COULD fight her, but that would be silly given that it would actually kill her, so you're left with the option to flee. It certainly couldn't hurt you to try.

And voila, you have free movement to run away, and since everything in Undertale and its mother is completely deliberate, you are supposed to take that as an opportunity to take it as far as possible, which is to say, running into the Hotlands. Papyrus calling you and Undyne reacting to your fleeing should additionally cue you into the fact that you're doing the right thing.
>>
>>343382123
>Undyne
>you're supposed to flee even though picking spare changes her dialogue
It starts looping after a while. Should be obvious that something's up by then at the very least.

When I finally noticed that the heart was changing colour after certain amounts of fighting and what that meant it was such an obvious giveaway.
>>
>>343388112
What's the only option left? Well, you COULD fight her, but that would be silly
but you're told explicitly in the tutorial that bringing an enemy down to low health will give you the option to spare them.

but the moment you bring Undyne to low health, SHE JUST FUCKING DIES
>>
>>343382123
Something about her saying you can't escape when you're green being a hint

Didn't think of it my first time either, I just kept sparring until I died
>>
File: 1466663323983.jpg (1 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
1466663323983.jpg
1 MB, 3840x2160
>>343389895
>you're told explicitly in the tutorial that bringing an enemy down to low health will give you the option to spare them

No. That doesn't happen. Do you know how I know?

Because Toriel is specifically designed to trap you into doing just that and makes it so that you instantly kill her once you get her to 1/4 health. Then you reload your save and Spare her how the game wants you to.

No line of dialogue in the entire game tells you to ever drop anyone's HP in order to spare them. You CAN'T find an instance of anyone or anything saying that. It doesn't exist.
>>
>>343389895
>but you're told explicitly in the tutorial that bringing an enemy down to low health will give you the option to spare them.
But you should know at this point it's not gonna work on pivotal characters. It didn't fucking work on Toriel, did it?
>>
>>343391052
>No line of dialogue in the entire game tells you to ever drop anyone's HP in order to spare them. You CAN'T find an instance of anyone or anything saying that. It doesn't exist.
There is a Froggit that literally tells you that. Which is the very trap that causes many players to accidentally kill Toriel.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.