[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I still can't get over it. >there will never be another
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 11
File: IMG_20160630_203807.jpg (51 KB, 830x499) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160630_203807.jpg
51 KB, 830x499
I still can't get over it.

>there will never be another real Metal Gear

Sure I've known loss, some of my favorite franchises have been axed or ruined; Castlevania, Mega Man, Devil May Cry, Silent Hill.

But I don't think I'll ever recover from this one. It's been several months since V was released unfinished and Kojima & Konami had a falling out. V has been abandoned by the developers and it's playerbase despite being a decent game. The only thing I had left.

I still don't feel right. My heart can't take anymore. I feel hopeful that Kojima's new IP will be good, but it won't fill this void. I still want to hope this is all some elaborate ruse... but I know deep down it's over.
>>
Metal Gear ended at IV you fucking autist. everything else is just a cashgrab for retards like you.
>>
>>343350736
there shouldn't have been any more mgs games after 3

people like you ruined the franchise
>>
File: kojima and wife.jpg (48 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
kojima and wife.jpg
48 KB, 600x400
Kojima purposely gave MGS a slow, painful Death so you wouldn't feel this way
>>
>>343350910
People like me?

A person who loves Metal Gear and simply looks forward to new installments? I didn't beg and plead for more when Kojima didn't want to make anymore MGS games.
>>
>>343351447
why are you doing it now then?
>>
>>343352186
Am I begging or pleading?
Where did I say that?

All I'm saying is I'm sad that it's gone forever. Jesus, you kids are insufferable.
>>
>>343351447
>loves metal gear
>looks forward to new installments
>after 4, PW, V

but why?
>>
>>343354380
Welcome to summer.
>>
Never say never.

We don't know what Konami's next full scale MGS title will be like.
It could be amazing without Kojima there to fuck it all up.
>>
>>343350736
Believe me when I say it will pass. All good things must come to an end.
>>
>>343354948
They weren't anywhere near perfect but enjoyable nonetheless, to me at least.

>>343355246
Well they sure started off shitty with the pachinko nonsense. One can hope.

>>343355330
pls
>>
>>343350736

He already took a huge shit in your mouth with MGS5 and you want another one?
>>
Story-wise, the series ended with MGS 3. MGS 4 ruined it.
>>
>>343350736
Kojima wanted to end metal gear every step of the way after 2, I'm glad he's finally free
>>
what a mess we made when it all went wrong
>>
>>343356785
I don't think so.

You see, I never pointlessly hyped myself up or analyzed every little detail of every trailer before the game came out like the many autists who did.

I bought the game on day one because it was Metal Gear Solid. So I wasn't tragically disappointed. I enjoyed it very much, putting 400+ hours into it, mostly FOB's and MGO.

I admit the story fell flat, the characters sucked, and it wasn't very Metal Gear-y, but the gameplay was fucking solid.
>>
>>343357048

This. Konami kept comissioning him to churn out sequels because they were multi-million sellers. They were profitable.

Honestly, its a good thing Kojima moved on, but I'm curious to see if he can create a new game of similiar caliber.

>>343350736

I'm more at a loss of what Konami has done to their companu: exited, nearly, the entire console gaming market, save for a few ''safe bets'', and taken a large portion of somewhat legendary game IPs with them.
>>
>>343356975
Kek no if anything it ended at 2, but nobody understood it
>>
>>343360130
It did indeed end on 2 chronologically wise. 3 is a prequel that serves to flesh out Big Boss as a character and does it masterfully.
>>
>>343355246
Too bad they have literally no developers left there. It could be good but I highly doubt it. /v/ has been riding Konami's dick recently just for a chance to spite Kojima.
>>
>>343360993
>serves to flesh out Big Boss as a character
Barely, Naked Snake might as well have been a different character from Big Boss entirely. The real point of MGS3 is to tell a new story with a character like Solid Snake but different and have it be far enough away from everything else that they could do whatever they wanted with it.
>>
>>343361815
You're wrong. MGS 3 does a great job at establishing why the big American hero switches sides in MG 1.
>>
File: 1466220644606.png (75 KB, 300x302) Image search: [Google]
1466220644606.png
75 KB, 300x302
>>343350736
>Castlevania
You can thank Kojima for that
>Megaman, DMC
Thank Capcom's Kojima. I heard his kickstarter wasn't too good.
>>
I'd be ok with the series ending. But it ended on such a low, disappointing note.
>>
>>343362049
>why the big American hero switches sides in MG 1.
That's a minor part of MGS3. Naked Snake is more of a light hearted version of Solid Snake and it is cool seeing the "Original" snake but it's not like there was ever a burning question of what caused Big Boss to be bad before MGS3. MG2 explains exactly why Big Boss did what he did.
>>
>>343351447
>I didn't beg and plead for more when Kojima didn't want to make anymore MGS games.
Considering he was force to work on the franchise again and again even when he publicly state he want to move on to something else. There was certainly begging from someone.
>>
>>343362929
He was never forced to work on the franchise, you cocksucking autist.
He could've quit making them every fucking step of the way, and as you see now, "receive offers from both developers and to direct movies".

You've also got to be a complete retard if you bought into the whole "anonymous reports" bullshit.
>>
>>343363197
So you would walk away from millions of dollars and die hard fans begging you to make more games? Hell no you wouldn't.
>>
>>343350736
Kojima made it clear he wanted out since MGS2. You can tell each subsequent game was him basically doing whatever he wanted and observing if fans will finally dislike the franchise so Konami would tell him to stop but money kept coming in. MGSV was finally when it happened.
>>
>>343363486
he literally spent all his dev time shitposting on twitter about food and joosten's tits
he did fuck that budget good, and the die hard fans too
just take a gander at /mgg/ today
>>
>>343363937
I'm just saying he was pretty much forced to do it. If someone gives you tons of money to keep making games and people keep begging for more even when you shit on them at every turn you would do what he did too.
>>
>>343362887
Yeah, but MGS 3 further fleshes this out and gives out a great story on top of it.
>>
>>343362719
Yeah, I agree. 4 was terrible.
>>
>>343365047
Yeah I agree, but that wasn't why they made it. They made it because fans wanted more Metal Gear and Kojima didn't want to follow up MGS2. Going back in time far away from the rest of the series let him have more freedom to do what he wanted with Metal Gear. MGS3 is more of a reimagining of Metal Gear with the prequel elements taking the back seat.
>>
>>343350736

I wonder how many people committed suicide after playing Phantom Pain. I personally thought the game was fun, but the story was complete shit, and that fucking ending was disgusting.
>>
I can deal, the series peaked already anyways. I'm not gonna be mopey about it, and at least kojima is making more games.
>>
>>343365540
You're right, but I still consider MGS 3 a part of the five Metal Gear games that make an excellent series story-wise. MG 1, 2 and MGS 1, 2 and 3.

Everything past that is fanfiction by some retarded kid as far as I'm concerned. Not that the games themselves are necessarily bad (I enjoyed V and 4 for like the one hour of actual decent stealth gameplay it had), but the story is completely retarded and not worth even thinking about.
>>
>>343350736
Metal Gear is owned by Konami. They will make another game. The fact that Kojima won't be allowed to touch will only prove to be a good thing.
>>
>>343366337
yeah, that pachinko game looks really good. based konami fixing kojimbo's shit
not that kojima would do any better though, he wanted to be out of mgs for a long time, with this he will not even touch it with a 10 meter pole. and with the faggots at konami killing their gaming division, the franchise is good as dead
>>
>>343350736
The obsession with perpetual sequels is tiring. We don't need more Metal Gear games, or even Castlevania or Mega Man. I say that as a huge fan of all three.

Another great game in one of those series would be nice, sure, but I feel like a lot of people are incapable of appreciating what already exists because of an obsession with what's next. Why can't shit just fucking end? Find other games.
>>
>>343350901
> IV

What the fuck?
>>
>>343366960
>people keep calling it pachinko instead of pachislot
i swear its just like the huey wolf thing and it's unsettling as fuck

anyway konami had a new metal gear recruitment page launched simultaneously with KojiPro's announcement w/Sony
It was taken down recently, although it had "kojima" plastered in the page's source code several times
>>
>>343350736
>being upset MGS ended
people like you are cancerous
>>
Yep, know that fucking feel OP. Something about this game, it pains me deep in my heart. Just running around the overworld, thinking about all the trailers and demo gameplays they made. About how many manhours were spent developing this game in a small, windowless office. All those years building up to what is universally viewed as a let down, a disappointment.

Meanwhile, I sank over 600+ hours into the game and loved every second of it. It was a solid game through and through. And while it definitely didn't capture that same story telling niche the series was known for, it was the best stealth game I ever played and I LOVE the characters. Venom managed to be best Snake without even being part of the family. Handsome motherfucker.

As for Kojima. It's hard to witness what happened to this man over the last year and a half. His baby, his child, taken away from him. It's a tragic situation and I really feel for the guy. Hoping his new games manage to bring back that excitement and fun he once had in development.
>>
I played MGS 1-3 and really enjoyed them, but I don't have a PS3 so I can't play 4. Should I play MGR or MGSV now or play 4 first?
>>
File: MGSV ending.jpg (427 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
MGSV ending.jpg
427 KB, 960x540
>>343350736
I'm more upset that the series went out with such a piss poor, unfinished, half baked game
>>
>>343350736
>Sure I've known loss
Well, I'd expect even the newest /v/irgin to.
>>
>>343355246
>supporting Konami after they fired Kojima and all their other talent

I hope we get another trainwreck on par with V, you deserve to be shat upon.
>>
>>343368206
Play 4 first, MGR and MGSV arent the same without that context.

Hell Peace Walker alone builds off from MGS4

When you view MGS as running chain of themes and ideas building off one another, playing in release order makes so much sense. Its more than just a series of games.
>>
>>343368439
Why not support them if they put out something good and interesting? I have little faith that they will, but nonetheless.
>>
>>343366167
3 is fanfiction too, it creates an entirely new big boss character than the one established by the previous games
>>
>>343350736
I said that after MGS3. I was not wrong.
>>
File: 1452348029405.jpg (723 KB, 1225x1712) Image search: [Google]
1452348029405.jpg
723 KB, 1225x1712
>>343368747
Very true. Ironic how the old BB was alot more realistic and to-the-point. Kojima went overboard in trying to turn him into some tragic figure when all he needed to be was a legend whose impact was still being felt in the new era.
>>
>>343368747
Aside from minor back story nothing about the game contradicts Big Boss's disposition later. The game's ending is intended to be interpreted with what he does later in mind, and the game does a good job showing the seeds of his later behavior.
>>
>>343368708
That's a pretty big "if", anon.
>>
File: death-stranding-main-image.jpg (84 KB, 1531x767) Image search: [Google]
death-stranding-main-image.jpg
84 KB, 1531x767
I'm too confused by the trailer to be hopeful for the game

Yes I know I posted this in the wrong thread
>>
>>343369046
Sure is. But that guy's post was "it could be" good, not "it will be good." I'm saying I have nothing to lose by keeping an open mind. It could be a mediocre mess like Snake's Revenge, but it could also be like Ghost Babel. For various reasons I'm not expecting much, but I think the Kojima loyalism is goofy.
>>
Didn't Kojima want to end MGS at 2?
>>
>>343369261
I'm not buying a ps4 for a kojima game, so I hope we get a shitton of cool trailers like mgsv
>>
>>343368747
>this "I hate MGS3 popularity" meme
>>
>>343355246
>>343368708
Kojima was the heart and soul of Metal Gear and now he's gone, even other talent like Fukushima have long since left Konami. It's like asking for Capcom to uncancel Mega Man Legends 3, even if it does happen it's guaranteed to suck anyway and only further tarnish a once prestigious brand name.
>>
>>343369526
it was a good game but it was poison to the canon
>>
>>343350736
I'm with you mate
>>
>>343369449
yes, and by the time 4 came out he seemed really pissed at the fact that he was still directing the franchise. V is a bit harder to understand, mostly because its unfinished state makes kojima's message really hard to get through

2 was the perfect way to end the series, though
>>
>>343369348
Yeah just like how all those Silent Hill games without Team Silent turned out fantastic, right?
>>
>>343369720
I'm still glad we got 3 though. Fuck 4 and everything that came after though.
>>
>>
>>343369526
the fact that it's a good game doesn't absolve it from having created an utterly unnecessary plot device (muh boss) that managed to make every game that followed it stupider than the last

even worse is that it seemed to teach kojima that he didnt have to try as long as he remembered to play some powerful music and tug at the players heartstrings every few hours, while not forgetting to constantly reference mgs1
>>
>>343369736
>For various reasons I'm not expecting much
Reading comprehension: how does it work?

I doubt the future of the series is especially bright given the current state of Konami. But if a new Metal Gear game looks good or interesting I'm not going to avoid it out of Kojima loyalism.
>>
>>343368225
Pretend it ended at Peace Walker with V as a side story.
>>
>>343370132
What's there to pretend? V is a side story.
>>
>>343369835
3 was a fun experimental game that let them still explore the series without shitting over the past games' intent. I think he really tried to kill the series with 4 and at that point he had written himself into a corner that he never intended to get out of
>>
MGS was worse after 3 and arguably 2, I'd rather kojimbo work on something else
>>
>>343370132
considering we see jack shit in terms of the timeline, it kinda is. the only thing resolved was "why big boss survived after mg1"
>>
File: 1465244285736.jpg (21 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
1465244285736.jpg
21 KB, 240x240
>>343368948
>half-jap that fought nazis in france
holy fuck why did they retcon this
>>
Why does everyone hate V?

I bought the game a week ago for $26 and have 35 hours in it already. It's very enjoyable.

Gameplay is smooth, game is simple but fun. Story is just as kojima as anything else. It's a fine game and if it keeps me entertained for 40 hours it does it's job.

I hated IV - it was a poorly written 12 hour movie.
>>
>>343370042
So instead you're just going to keep supporting a company that now hates video games and shits on their fans, because you somehow think a Metal Gear game might be good without the main driving force behind it. And I bet if this new game turns out shit you're still going to say"B-b-but the next one might be good, right guise? Never say never, right?" Sorry but I'd much rather be a "Kojima loyalist" than a beaten housewife who can't leave a company no matter how badly they're treated.
>>
>>343370532

Wait for act 2...
>>
>>343370520
MGS is made of retcons
>>
>>343370532
Just wait till you finish V. And replay 4.
>>
>>343370532
You didn't reached Episode 2, right?
>>
>>343362049
But nothing in 3 explains why Bog Boss is a child soldier using maniac who wants to take the world hostage and create endless war
>>
>>343370310
Yeah he did. 4 was supposed to be the end of Solid Snake's story and tied up every loose end, even if it was just "nanomachines did it!" for everything.
>>
>>343350736
>There will never be another metal gear rising.
I would have really liked a prequel to sam's story a before of the before of joining the bad guys dlc or a twist like he didn't really die.
>>
File: 3f3.png (473 KB, 600x392) Image search: [Google]
3f3.png
473 KB, 600x392
>>343350736

>He doesnt like Phantom Pain
>>
>>343370579
If the game turns out shit it will be as I expected, and I'll wait for the game after it to come out or otherwise reveal details to ascertain my interest in it. You know, like anyone reasonable does with anything.

I'll restate the main idea because you are somehow still missing the point: in the very slight chance the next Metal Gear game is good, I'm not going to deny myself the game simply out of loyalty to Kojima. If it looks cool, I'll check it out. If it doesn't, I won't. You seem to think I'm siding with Konami over Kojima for some reason. I'm not.
>>
File: 1405777416540.png (553 KB, 1280x634) Image search: [Google]
1405777416540.png
553 KB, 1280x634
Metal Gear ended a long time ago. What's bad is that Kojima's final farewell to the series was the giant mess that was MGSV
>>
>>343370637
>>343370689

Even if the end is terrible, or just cuts to black the plot can't be worse than 'guns don't work anymore' in IV. It's writing is worse than faceoff.

MGS usually just combines a little bit of silly military knowlege with emotional drama and 4th wall shenanigans.

The writing has always been fucking awful. There was a guy named vamp in 2.
>>
>>343370734
not that anon, but when chapter 2 dropped I just went "oh I bet my ass it's gonna be like PW where I gotta replay missions/refight bosses"

I wasn't disappointed. I wasn't thrilled either, just one big MEH

Up until the shining lights mission, that one was pure feels and storytelling through gameplay.

Then I fucking meh'd again when replaying the hospital prologue. What in the ever-loving fuck were they thinking?

That last shot was amazing though
>>
>>343370779
Except the part where he's abused by the system and left disdainful of politics and nationalism. But MGS3 isn't meant to "explain" it--Big Boss already explains himself clearly in MG2. It merely sets up what happens while shedding a bit of light on how he ended up fucked up.
>>
>>343370532
I think it's leaps and bounds better than 4, but if you think skullface or any other plotline is going to have a satisfying ending, or the game will put its hand in the fire for a strong metanarrative like 2, you should just drop those notions while you can.
>>
>>343371465
The guy's name is skullface. I abandoned all hope of an interesting narrative the second he showed up. So I'm having fun playing a black guy.
>>
>>343370987
>there will never be a metal gear rising 2 that goes bananas and reveals that the s3 plan never ended, and everything that happened in the series since mgs2 was just different contexts created by the patriots to see if they could convince raiden to give up on his will and become a tool of destruction again

we're just not living in the right universe
>>
>>343351447
What exactly did you love about this series? It's the most insanely overrated series on /v/ and the series should have most definitely ended at MGS3. Normally I would say 2 but MGS3 turned out good with a good story so it's the last good game in the series.
>>
>>343351157
That is not Kojima's wife
>>
>>343350901
this
>>
>>343350736

Isn't a new DMC pretty much all but confirmed to be in the making?
>>
>>343371319
agreed. Honestly, the entire narrative of the story would have been 10x better if they just added a signifigant amount of meaningful and impactful, but still optional, motherbase content. Let us get to see and know these characters when they are off duty, or at home, or dealing with internal drama and conflicts.
>>
>>343368747
>>343368948
>MGS 3 retcons some shitty manual book cover
What the fuck ever. It isn't fanfiction, it's a story easily on the level of MGS 1 and it's excellent.
>>
>>343369974
The Boss was a great character in MGS 3. It's irrelevant how she became the complete focus of every single villain and hero of the damn game in the later games and how she also became the huge feminist idol that was a part of the Apollo Crew and also an A.I. that sings music.

By that logic, we have to hate on all of the games because every character introduced in them is ruined in MGS.
>>
File: 1466662267107.png (91 KB, 328x373) Image search: [Google]
1466662267107.png
91 KB, 328x373
>>343371709
>we will never have a metal gear with a story as crazy as the last snake tale from mgs2
i just want more VR shenanigans
>>
>>343372209
>it's a story easily on the level of MGS 1
MGS3 had some cool moments but lets not get ahead of ourselves
>>
>>343370532
It's pretty undeniable that it's better than 4. You'd have to be a retarded faggot to legitimately think 4 is better.

With that said, 4 does have considerably better boss fights. Other than that, V shits all over it. They both have retarded stories, so just ignore V's story. Gameplay itself is fun.
>>
>>343372078
well, I think it's safe to say that we had that content, but was cut out before release. We sure as hell had ocelot hanging out as an actual NPC. Mother base as it is it's devoid of all life except soldiers talking every once in a while.

I really can't say what went wrong, every single MGS game was always PACKED to the brim with content. It may be Kojima's fault for mismanaging the budget, it may be Konami going full jew, we may never know. At this point, I'm gonna go into Death Stranding with absolutely zero expectations, just so I'm safe.
>>
>>343372343
>The Boss was a great character in MGS 3

that's really overselling it
>>
>>343372438
I'm not getting ahead of myself at all and I bet my statement isn't particularly controversial to a lot of people. The end of MGS 3, from the moment you start fighting The Boss, to the moment the credits start rolling, is an incredibly powerful scene that gives a perfect backstory to Big Boss. It's my favorite moment of the entire series. Yes, I like it even more than the Patriots speech before they were ruined by MGS 4 in MGS 2.
>>
>>343372209
>Big Boss also used to be called Snake
>And he got his title for beating someone who was called just The Boss, who was the coolest female soldier ever and taught him everything he knows
>And he fought against the Cobra Unit

it was a little bit fanfiction, anon
>>
>>343372612
I liked the Cobras and OCelot more than anything with the Boss, she was too gassed up for my taste and the big reveal just makes her look like an inefficient tool.

I actively prefer pretty much anything in Solid Snakes timeline to anything in Big Bosses, it just has more weight to it.
>>
>>343372612
that end sequence really didn't need the ocelot showdown or the constant fake-outs that the plane was going to crash or get shot down
>>
>>343372998
I don't see how that's fan fiction at all.

>Raiden is this child soldier that meets and becomes friendly partners with Snake
>And he's inside a simulation of the exact same events of the first game so that he becomes the new great soldier
>And he fought the former president of the United States who everyone thinks is Solid Snae and his terrorist unit, including a woman that can't be shot because of a chip she has but also even without that chip.

I can frame any game in a way that makes it sound fan fictiony.
>>
>>343373268
but 2 wasn't real
>>
>>343373268
That doesn't really sound fanfictiony, though, just loony and absurd. His point is that MGS3 has details that are oddly self-obsessed or inflated in importance in a way that feels unnecessary or unnatural. Big Boss didn't just get the moniker from being a bad enough dude in charge of a special ops stealth group (a big boss), nope! He killed his mentor who was also a Boss but because he beat her that makes him an even bigger Boss! It's the kind of purposeless insularity that plagues fanfiction.

I think MGS3 is great and largely gets away with it thanks to the game's nicely done ending, but I get what he's saying.
>>
Ghost Babel is a good game.
>>
i enjoyed 5 and like it more and more
Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.