[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Open wurld
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 4
How does /v/ feel about this being open world? I feel like its a bad move am i just a butt hurt fanboi? Can anyone give me hype?
>>
Zelda was originally open world, until Aonuma took over.

Think of it as an apology for the last twenty years.
>>
>>343203328
Didn't think of it that way. Good point! Maybe i should just replay LOZ...
>>
I only need to know if there's fishing in this game.
Someone give me hope.
>>
Fuck off namefag
>>
>>343204046
There is fishing
>>
I think it's a good direction to move in. It feels more like this is what the original LoZ would be if it was released/imagined today, rather than an attempt to cash in on the "open world" hype. This is coming from someone who doesn't care that much for newer Zelda games, before fingers start getting pointed.
>>
File: 1421989120235.jpg (27 KB, 460x282) Image search: [Google]
1421989120235.jpg
27 KB, 460x282
>>343204274
Thank you, based anon.
>>
>>343202519
It's not open world, it's open air :^)
>>
>>343202519
Speaking as a huge Zelda fan, I think this could be good for the series. I don't know if open world will work out, but the series needed a shake up badly. This could be what puts the feeling of adventure back into the series.
>>
>>343202519
You mean "open air"
>>
I'm willing to bet real world money that it would really be open world. It will be pretty much like every other Zelda game.
>>
>>343202519
Your stupid it looks amazing. The combat looks heavy in a good way like the way the original dark souls was. It is dragons dogma/shadow of the colossus Zelda edition. What else could you possibly want?
>>
>>343204694
What is open air?
>>
>>343204976
Zelda is open air, that's why they called it Breath of the Wild
>>
I recently finally beat the original LoZ on my old nes and I had a hell of time with it, trying my best to figure all out for myself.

It was an amazing time because every single grid felt like there was potentially something important or intergal to beating the game. If they make good use of the map and its not just all wide open empty space like so many open world games, if I really feel invested in searching where ever I go then I'll love it.

3D Zelda has only failed me once before with SS, so I am letting my guard down and getting hyped
>>
Nintendo exists in a bubble, I feel like if they make an open world game, it's because they thought of it independently from their own perspective, instead of just following the trend. And that's a good thing.

Just the fact that Zelda has free climbing make it different from 90% of open world games I've played
>>
>>343202519
Depends how it's woven in to the core experience.

I'm really curious about how a game with dungeon progression can be truly open world
>>
>>343205103
Is it a genre or just a meme you made up?
>>
>>343202519
basically all main zellda games have been open world, and have a free roam overworld that is what makes them what they are.
this one being non linear though, this may make or break the game.
even know it is nintendo I just hope they are taking away the hand holding and letting us explore, adventure, do dungeons and find gear at our own pace.
probably gonna be GOTY next year
>>
>>343204976
It's open world but with retarded Nintendo insisting on being a unique snowflake about the name.
>>
>>343205207
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JgOGEUfCCKk
>>
>>343205281
its because its not just the world thats open, the way that you approach every situation is open :)
Miyamoto is a fucking hack
>>
>>343203328
>OoT
>open world
>>
>>343205178
Come on now, many ideas Breath of the Wild is implementing like survival mechanics, sound stealth, crafting are following trends. Climbing is different from AssCreed but the whole concept of "climbing everything" is also at least inspired by what AssCreed did. Not saying it's a bad thing.
>>
>>343205437

Nice bait, here's your reply.
>>
>>343202519
its just like the nes zeldas just with modern tech
>>
>>343205612
How exactly is OoT open world?
What can you do when you head into Hyrule Field?

Zora's river? Lol blocked by boulders, come back later
Gerudo desert? Nope. Come back later.
Lake Hylia? Can't let you do that yet
>>
>>343205720
You're trying way too hard
>>
>>343202519
All I can say is thank fucking Christ. Remember the last Zelda game? "LINK THERE IS A 90 PERCENT CHANCE YOU WILL WALK DOWN THIS NARROW PATH, LINK LINK LINK LINK"
>>
>>343202519
Are you so butt blasted, that it didn't impact on the surface, it went in?
>>
>>343204105
Mkay.
>>
>>343205720
More like a 3D metroidvania since you have to utilize items you find otherwhere to get to other places.
>>
>>343204856
Current gen graphics.
>>
>>343205720
Do GTA III and San Andreas also fall in the same not open world category because parts of the world are blocked out until you progress the story?
>>
>>343205281
>It's open world but with retarded Nintendo insisting on being a unique snowflake about the name.
To be fair "Open-World" is a quite terribly defined term with tons of pre-conceived notions. So I am not terribly against a new term being coined.

We can have Zelda and the Souls games be "Open-Air" and leave GTA and the TES games "Open-World".
>>
>>343208191
and what's the difference between the two?

That anon is right, it's Nintendo wanting to be a special snowflake and not admit they are following trends.
>>
>>343204343
You can't fish with a fishing rod though. You can only do it with bombs, arrows or a spear
>>
>>343208372
The difference is that people can't fucking agree on what's open world or not. But if you make your own term no one can say you're wrong. Then at best they can just criticize the term you used.
>>
>>343208372
>>343208586
What's the difference in terms of gameplay? Is it going to be mostly open world but with certain dungeons blocked or something similar?
>>
>>343209215
I think they said you can do dungeons in any order in BotW. So I guess there's nothing being blocked. I also heard that you'll be able to go to the final boss straight away.

Not sure the dungeon in any order idea is good, that could mean a fucked up difficulty curve, or a complete lack of one.
>>
>>343208372
Something as simple as a little gated off content is enough for people to claim that something can't be open world.

So going back to the example of the Souls games looking at Dark Souls. Just because there are a few locked doors people will deny it being open-world in spite of the player being free to venture out in any direction from the get go.
Some say it can't be open-world because its world is somehow not large enough. And I've even seen a couple of silly people claim it can't be open-world because the world design is too vertical.
Then there are people who claim that it's not open-world because the world isn't full of tiny little quests and challenges that you initiate upon arrival.

There are so many things that people just won't accept as open-world. Some basically won't accept it as such unless it's a carbon copy of GTA or Just Cause or something.
>>
>>343205437
>OoT was the original Zelda game

Underaged go and stay go.
>>
>>343208372
Open-world makes you feel like you're playing inside a construct of metal and silicon.

Open-air makes you feel like it's a real world.
>>
>>343209560
>Something as simple as a little gated off content is enough for people to claim that something can't be open world.
That's a stupid point to make. GTA III, SA and VC had gated content. GTA V was the only 3D GTA to not have any world restrictions.

I would say Dark Souls had a very linear world but it's many linear paths interconnected, which can be argued that don't make the game really open world.
>>
File: 004.jpg (3 MB, 2143x3040) Image search: [Google]
004.jpg
3 MB, 2143x3040
>>343202519
Zelda has been open world since day fucking one, and with Monolith helping with world design, I'm fucking hyped for BotW
>>
Don't you guys think it's pathetic how people like this guy
>>343205604
pretend they know the origin of specific mechanics?
>>
>>343203328
I don't think I would consider the 1st zelda quite open world. maybe zelda 2, but not 1.

I don't mind there being more open areas, but I would want the map to be really well thought out than just huge empty space, which is also a big reason why I really don't like the addition of epona to the series since epona really only exists to traverse that boring space faster. Horseback Poe hunting was fun, but I don't think I'd care for it too much in such a huge map and bullet time horseback also ruins any chance of that having any fun challenge either.
>>
>>343205178
t.Nintendrone
>>
>>343209436
I agree that's what happened with LBW's dungeons
>>
>>343209560
I say that the main reason dark souls isn't open world is its level design. In essence, it's a series of corridors and rooms. a series of corridors and rooms very intricately woven together to make the exploration of them quite fun, yes, but it's still far too limiting to be considered open world.

To me, open worlds require the main map to be one large space where you can get from point A to point B by a multitude of different non-linear routes without interruption from loading screens
>>
It'll be the phantom pain of the series

I dont understand why devs think the next logical step in the evolution of a game is a sandbox
>>
>>343210052
So what? The point still stands those mechanics have been in many games in the past and that Nintendo is following trends. Are you so much of a drone you can't admit this obvious fact?
>>
>>343202519
Looks great desu. With Monolith Soft helping, at least I know it won't feel completely barren. Even the actual barren wastelands in their game felt fairly lively.
>>
File: 1449857730142.jpg (322 KB, 531x471) Image search: [Google]
1449857730142.jpg
322 KB, 531x471
>>343202519
I think it's a great idea for Zelda because of how the games are always made. Exploring is a cornerstone of the series and it's already natural to interact with the environment so they just took it a step further. I'm more worried about how long distance rendering and graphics will work out. Also that if this Zelda sells they stick to the formula without innovation, then we may never get another MM.
>>
>>343211503
Actually. BotW doing well only increases our chances of a game like MM by a lot.
Ocarina of Time itself was a gigantic success, and MM is still the same at its core. Only different in execution.
>>
"Open Air" is just an advanced open world with physics that allow you to interact with the environment in endless ways.
Zelda has not been open world since the original and Alltp to an extent.
You can't do shit in Hyrule Field, it exists only to get you to various locations.
Same with the field in twilight princess. You can't climb rocks, you can't jump over mountains, you can't burn down trees, you can't experiment at all. They're really just wide corridors rather than an open world.
In the NES Zelda, the world is open, you can basically do whatever you want and go wherever. Same with Botw. The runes you get in shrines can be used freely in the open world and you can use it everywhere without limitations, as opposed to Twilight princess where an item may lose its value once you finish a dungeon.
>>
>>343212869
>as opposed to Twilight princess where an item may lose its value once you finish a dungeon.
The fucking spinner. I was so damn disappointed.
>>
Zelda games have a different design philosophy than a game like GTA.

Every building you see can be entered in Zelda, the goal is a fully explorable world, while GTA going for the urban look, the buildings you can enter are very small, and you have tons of cardboard apartment buildings and so on.

Elder Scrolls try to mix both approaches
>>
>>343210096
Please, explain how Zelda 1 is not open world.
>>
>>343202519
We're finally getting off Mr. Aonuma's wild ride.
>>
>>343214998
Aonuma js still at the helm of BotW.
>>
>>343208416

As far as we know.
>>
>>343205437
>>343205612
OoT was directed by Miyamoto, that's what he is trying to say, the first game Aonuma made on it's own was Majoras mask.
>>
>>343210020
Anon you have some damn fine photography skills. Also nice to see you maxed the colors, best way to play.
>>
>>343215065
Yes but that's not the point.
>>
>>343215065
Not the guy you replied to, but judging by the gameplay it seems like Aonuma's being pretty hands off this time. It doesn't feel like Skyward Sword or any of the games he directed.
>>
>>343208416
You're fuckin' breaking my heart.
>>
>>343215975
Skyward Sword has officially been stated to be one of the biggest inspirations.
Just looks like they expanded on the improvements that Skyward Sword actually did come up with, while cutting off the bullshit that didn't work.
>>
>>343208416
>>343216051
There will most likely be a fishing rod in the game.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.