[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think that the popularity of eSports has ruined gaming?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 8
File: korean primary school.jpg (3 MB, 2738x1825) Image search: [Google]
korean primary school.jpg
3 MB, 2738x1825
Do you think that the popularity of eSports has ruined gaming?

In before people come to defend their dick measuring contests
>>
git gud
>>
File: jeff.jpg (7 KB, 176x171) Image search: [Google]
jeff.jpg
7 KB, 176x171
>>343190893
>Do you think that the popularity of eSports has ruined gaming?

>Dont disagree with me or you're a faggot
>>
>>343190893
esports and pro gaming have always been cancer.
>let's take a fun hobby and suck all the fun out by turning it into a sterile repetitive job
the worst part is that now games are designed with esports in mind so if you're not an mlg profag you're shit outta luck.
>>
No.

esports people have always stayed in their bubble, they havent affected anything outside of their own ecosystem since Brood War.
>>
>>343190893
maybe if the top esports games would be good i wouldn't have a problem with it
>>
It certainly ruined fighting games and RTSs.
>>
>In before people come to defend their dick measuring contests

Isn't ANY sport practicly kind of a dick measuring contest?
>>
only faggots that play anime games hate eSports, since they require life skills like socializing and wanting to improve yourself
>>
File: 1455821435291.jpg (574 KB, 587x978) Image search: [Google]
1455821435291.jpg
574 KB, 587x978
If you let how other people play a fucking video game affect you, you might be actually on the spectrum.
>>
>>343192414
fighting games are full of weeb shit and it's one of the most popular and longest running genres for esports.
>>
>>343190893

A lot of people play games not for fun, but because they dream of being eSports stars, which is laughable but it's also a problem for the community, nobody is allowed to play MOBAs, RTSs or fighting games for fun now, I'm glad no other genres have made it big into the competitive scene.
>>
File: 1467149812727.png (13 KB, 175x200) Image search: [Google]
1467149812727.png
13 KB, 175x200
>>343192538
don't forget about all those failed youtube gaming channels.
>>
File: 1391826234839.jpg (182 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1391826234839.jpg
182 KB, 800x800
>>343190893

Maybe? Who cares, I used to remember kids running around saying "that's going in my montage". Let them think they are getting real skills.
>>
>>343190893
How has it even affected the average player in any way?
>>
>>343192815
People uploading their shitty frag music videos was just a dumb thing people did for fun, now everything is done with the goal of being the next big esports/youtube/twitch star and raking in billions.
>>
File: (PAIN).jpg (26 KB, 618x345) Image search: [Google]
(PAIN).jpg
26 KB, 618x345
>e"Sports"
I can't believe kids these days now value the skill of playing children's toys very fast over the appreciation of men with incredible athletic talent. It's disgusting. This is not the generation parents should be raising.
>>
>>343192980
esports is where the money is now and one of the requirements of being an esports golden boy is never being satisfied with the game and endlessly whining about balance so everyone who isn't at the top gets fucked in the ass by the whims of a whiny twelve year old from korea.
>>
>>343192414
>esports
>require life skills like socializing and wanting to improve yourself
>>
>>343193116
How are you getting fucked because a game is being balanced?
>>
>>343193319

Balance at top tier competitive play doesn't necessarily mean the game is balanced for the average player who doesn't exploit the meta.
>>
File: 1281715693614.jpg (97 KB, 694x448) Image search: [Google]
1281715693614.jpg
97 KB, 694x448
>>343193000
My cousin spends his days and nights in front of his laptop playing LoL and yelling at his internet friends when they're losing, as if it actually mattered. I pity him.
>>
>>343193567
I'll never understand why people still play mobas when all they do is make people mad.
>>
>>343190893
Yes.
I remember LOL when Riot was actually a good game company working to make their game better and more fun. Now it's all about muh E.sport and the game has become incredibly bland and stagnant as a result.
>>
>>343193467
So, you support a game being balanced around casuals instead of actual good players then? Doesn't that just kind of fuck the people who are actually good at the game?
>>
>>343190893
No, but Twitch has done a pretty bang up job at being the most cancerous thing about video games.
>>
>>343193769
Are you sure that's a result of esports or just Riot's shitty approach on it?
>>
>>343193803
"actually good players" will never be satisfied with the game. They have money on the line so whenever they see anything they see as a threat to their playstyle they whine about it.
>>
>>343192330
how did it ruin fighting games? they are still pretty damn niche as far as esports go
>>
>>343193918
Actually Riot got bought out by a Chinese company called Tencent that specializes in milking things as hard as possible.
>>
>>343192270
This.
>>
>>343192414
>since they require life skills like socializing and wanting to improve yourself
>>
I don't care about esports and nor should you

but if you're one of the buttflustered babbies because you pep the step, then shit son.
Competitive people rule everything
>>
>>343192486
Yeah, it's bad to hate one of the cancers of the industry.
>>
>>343194210
>I don't care about esports and nor should you
But the companies in charge do so everything they do is geared towards esports in one way or another.
>>
>>343193181
>>343194164
Not an argument
>>
>>343190893
Yeah, investing millions on matches just so that repetitive as fuck games turn into something interesting was a bad move for sure.

E-sports are the indicators of the only games that don't suck ass being easy as hell nowadays.
>>
>>343190893
I think the popularity of esports has ruined esports
>>
>>343194297
Dude are you fucking real? You are choosing to care about something that does not affect you.
>>
Should e-sports be considered a sport?

Answer is NO
>>
>>343193803
Balancing solely around competitive play doesn't work as well as you think.

Ultimately there will always be a character, class, or whatever that's better than the rest that everyone will pick. This is especially true in team games. If you nerf them, then everyone will just pick the second best.
>>
>>343194521
Nigga it does affect you. Every game made from now on will be designed with esports in mind and completely disregard anyone who doesn't care about them. Everything will be changed constantly trying to appease the top .05% of players who make hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars for themselves and whatever companies sponsor them. Even the tournaments get fat stacks from sponsorships from hardware companies or shit like mountain dew.
>>
>>343193925
>"actually good players" will never be satisfied with the game.
That's only natural. Almost every game could be vastly improved and better players probably invest a lot more time in and will be more likely to complain and want improvements. The casual player with a couple dozen hours probably cares far less even if they agree with the changes. Also, why are you putting quote marks around 'actual good players'?

>they see anything they see as a threat to their playstyle they whine about it.
Everybody complains when their playstyle gets nerfed. That's not exclusive to any group of players. Casuals will also whine when something they use is nerfed.

>>343194604
>Ultimately there will always be a character, class, or whatever that's better than the rest that everyone will pick.
So, what's the difference between balancing for top-tier play and casual play except that top-tier will actually attempt to curb this?
>>
>>343194995
>Also, why are you putting quote marks around 'actual good players'?
Because of the assumption that big name players are actually good. Wasn't there some big lel team whose gimmick was that they were all grills and that was the only reason they were big?
>Everybody complains when their playstyle gets nerfed. That's not exclusive to any group of players. Casuals will also whine when something they use is nerfed.
It is an excuse when companies actually listen to the reactionary whining of a select few players.
>>
>>343194771
>every game made from now on
This is ridiculous hyperbole. There are like 5 games tops that actively go out of their way to cater to the esports crowd.
Even then the bulk of changes are usually to sell cosmetics and balance play around the average skilled player.
>>
>>343195281
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/news/game-updates/patch/patch-613-notes
These are the patch notes from the last lel patch, I would post them here directly but they're just too fucking big. Look at that shit, tons of minute changes to tons of abilities and characters. And this happens constantly.
>>
>>343195173
>Because of the assumption that big name players are actually good.
If they're going to actual tournaments then even the shittiest one is probably leagues ahead of the average player.

>Wasn't there some big lel team whose gimmick was that they were all grills and that was the only reason they were big?
That doesn't mean their opinions are relevant or that anybody is actually going to listen to them, and even a female pro team is likely far more skilled than average players. The developer is the only person to blame if they make shitty, pandering changes and they'll likely suffer for it in the end.

If it isn't pro teams then you could make the same arguments about twitch streamers. At least pros have a clue about the game.

>It is an excuse when companies actually listen to the reactionary whining of a select few players.
Which is the fault of the developer. That whining could come from any section of the playerbase and the onus is on the developer to make the correct changes.
>>
>>343190893
I'm not sure what do you mean by "ruined" gaming. There are still story heavy games, gameplay heavy single player games, interesting indies and even multiplayer game that are not esports heavy. Some companies go for esports, some don't, who cares?

What ruins games (imho) is cluttering them with filler, often trendy stuff, adding a number of dlcs that exceed half of the core game's price, inability of even seasoned developers to plan and prototype a game before fully developing it so that they are forced to remake tons of features after spending years on developing them and absence of some kind of common asset library for companies to share (this one is tricky).
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.