[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm playing God of War 1 because despite being really into
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 4
File: maxresdefault.jpg (273 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
273 KB, 1280x720
I'm playing God of War 1 because despite being really into hack and slash/"character action" games I never played any of the the God of War games

This game is fucking bizarre

Despite the game being really easy and casual as fuck with these SQUARE SQUARE SQUARE SQUARE SQUARE combos the QTEs are really fucking hard
It's like they designed the game backwards

What gives
>>
Bait?
>>
File: 1466788623817.webm (3 MB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
1466788623817.webm
3 MB, 700x394
The first game isn't really about crazy combos or anything. It's more like Legacy of Kain or the first Devil May Cry. It doesn't have much combo potential until the second game and it peaks in the third.
>>
You have shit reflexes.
>>
>>343185005
>mashing square over and over again
>reflexes
>>
>>343184934
the problem is the game doesn't reward you for these fancy combos

it rewards you for square square triangle
>>
>>343185087

For the QTEs, genius.
>>
>>343184762
>I'm playing God of War 1
skip 1, maybe 2, and play 3

it's the best in this series
>>
>>343185159
Incorrect, you get more blood (exp) the more hits you rack up. It's hard to keep high hit count with just square square triangle.
>>
>>343184934
I found GoW 1 to be a real slog to get into, but that actually looks pretty good. It's 2, I take it? I've got 2 already and I'll probably grab 3 as well.

Are the PSP/Vita games any good? I've been looking for some decent action games on handheld after playing NG Sigma Plus 1 and 2 to death.
>>
>>343184762
>give game in easy to gf
>she's having fun
>traps and qte are giving her a hard time
>she stops having fun
the qte, traps and enemies should all be based on the same difficulty variable, but it's not
and it's just bad game design
>>
>>343185159
Its been quite some time since I played all the gow games but afaik you could use the points to buy upgrades faster.

Also, maybe I'm not a big part of the audience, but I tried some nice combo because they looked cool. I wanted to kill the enemies with style and had a blast. Can understand your way of thinking but for me it does not have to be this way.
>>
>>343185087
>being retarded
>>
>>343185159
>square square triangle
itr is the easy go to combo and quite powerful, but the more hits you have you get bonus XP and get to level up and get better moves quicker.

plus there is a thing called playing the game for fun
>>
>>343185742
if you like one game, then you'll like all of them.
>>
>>343185742
Chains of Olympus is ok and a good origin story, playing it before GoW1 actually works better (it's chronologically set before it as well).
Ghost of Sparta is a lot like 2 but in a shorter format, it's great with a neat story and finale. Chronologically set between 1 and 2.

Ascension is the only "meh" one.
>>
>>343185742

what he says. I even liked 4 desite all the shit it gets on v
>>343186086
>>
>>343184762
God of War was never about the character or the combat, despite how it might seem. God of War is a very simple 3D beat-em-up, with a grand scope that takes you through Greek mythology. It's the level design that made God of War fun. Just exploring those huge temples, fighting titans, and fighting gods while riding titans, it's very "grand" for lack of a better word.

People who go in expecting the depth of a hyper action game like DMC or Bayonetta are going to be disappointed because the game is nothing like those games.
>>
>>343186152
I actually found Coo to be the worst of the bunch. It was really the one game that didn't even try to add anything new and also probably looked the worst.
>>
>>343186232
>liked 4
There is no GoW4 though.
Are you talking about Ascension? Mechanically it's a rehash of GoW3 with none of its interesting extra weapons, storywise it's trash and visually the locations are very samey, lack variety and are quite drab in general.
It feels like a rehash of GoW3 that does everyhing worse.
>>
>>343186349
it was still fun
>>
>>343186289
Someone who seems to get it. How novel.
>>
>>343186289
The combat is designed to be easy and satisfying. You're not rewarded through overcoming challenge in God of War (at least not on normal difficulties), and that's fine. Not every game needs that. You're rewarded by being allowed to continue progressing through the level, and progression is why you should be playing.
>>
>>343185159
Is it not enough that a sick-looking flashy ass combo be its own reward?
>>
File: anotter.jpg (518 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
anotter.jpg
518 KB, 1600x1200
>Game has any form of 3D combat that isn't third person shooting of first person shooting
>/v/ compares it to DMC

Every
Fucking
Time
>>
>>343186568
No, I cannot enjoy games unless a score or combo meter is attached to my actions, because how else will I prove to my mom that I'm hardcore?
>>
>>343184762
The platforming and climbing section in the Hades section is pretty much the most difficult part of the game.
>>
>>343186672
God forbid we compare it to king of the genre and expect games to at least TRY to come close.
>>
>>343186725
> king of the genre
But you're talking about Devil May Cry, not Ninja Gaiden. :^)
>>
>>343186725
Not all action games are in the same genre as DMC. In fact, DMC is in a very niche genre of action games that could best be called "Crazy action". It's completely different. DMC might be the "King" of "Crazy action" games, but not action games in general.

It's like comparing all 2D shooter games to fucking SHUMPS
>>
>>343186725
but devil may cry is garbage
>>
>>343186672
because DMC3/4 are the peak of 3D combo action games. literally no other comes close, not even stuff like bayonetta. it's just a reference.
>>
>>343186934
And DMC being in this niche genre is why DMC is dead, and Bayonetta 2 struggled to find someone to fund it. People generally don't play those games, so they don't represent the majority of action games.
>>
>>343186672
That's the autismo-community for you, anon
>>
>>343186859
it's neither of those anyways

even kamiya hails gow3 as something he wants to top than NGB
>>
>>343187003
Your mistake is assuming that God of War was ever trying to compete with DMC, or even putting them in the same genre. They're nothing alike.

See >>343186934
DMC is in a niche of action games. Most other action games, even ones with combos, don't play like that. They play more like old school beat-em-ups, only faster and in 3D.

DMC is a good game, don't get me wrong, but it's COMPLETELY different than God of War, the Arkham games, El Shaddai, Otogi, Prince of Persia, or any other games off the top of my head that I've heard compared to DMC over the years, because those games also happen to have combat in them,
>>
File: 1459071827493.jpg (23 KB, 604x311) Image search: [Google]
1459071827493.jpg
23 KB, 604x311
>pre-E3 "omg did you hear Virgil's VA, all but confirmed DMC is back!"
>New God of War announced instead

It's beautiful seeing weeb shits get put into their place
>>
>>343185534
you're retarded
>>
>>343187604
>>New God of War announced instead
>it's just Norse of War with Ryse gameplay
who used the damn monkey's paw?
>>
>>343186086
>>343186232
>>343186152
Thanks. I'm guessing Collections on Vita is servicable enough? I'll probably go ahead and get it as well, if only to have GoW II on handheld.
>>
>>343186672
but God of War and Devil May Cry are literally the same genre. Why not compare the two?
>>
>>343188060
see >>343187268
>>
>>343188131
but >>343187268 is just being pedantic. They're both character action games. DMC having more depth to the combat doesn't magically put it in its own special snowflake genre.
>>
GoW should be compared to Zelda before being compared to DMC
>>
>>343188060
They're not though. I've already gone over that. God of War is more similar to a 3D beat-em-up than it is to a crazy action combo game like DMC, and DMC in turn is more similar to fighting games in how the combat is designed than it is to God of War.
>>
>>343188060
because the arguing over them always as childish as ever.
>le square square triangle
>le combo sponge food
>>
>>343188313
well I disagree. I feel they both play pretty much the same, albeit with DMC allowing for more variance in the combat.
>>
>>343185159
Nothing wrong with Plume of Prometheus
>>
>>343188226
don't we have darksiders for that?
>>
>>343184762

>it's a "God of War is easy" episode

Do you also say Devil May Cry is easy because you can clear Normal without dying?
>>
>>343186698
>I cannot enjoy games unless a score or combo meter is attached to my actions, because how else will I prove to my mom that I'm hardcore?
kek, this is whay musou fans feel too when dealing with cuhrayzeefags.
>>
>>343188371
DMC is all about a combos and juggling and style.
God of War is about none of that. God of War is about mindlessly beating the shit out of enemies, empathized by the brutal finishers and small variety of combos, which are mostly just used as guardbreaks. The mechanics don't go into much more depth attacking and blocking, which is more like beat-em-ups.
>>
>>343188371
>I feel they both play pretty much the same
Except they don't. You can feel that all you want, but they don't. You can also feel that arena shooters play the same to tactical shooters, or that racing simulators play similar to arcade racers, but they don't.
>>
>>343188505
Yes. Shit game for casuals
>>
>people shitting on this game since i first started coming here
>`too casul`
>realise i liked it because i play action games on hard by default

maybe you people should try ramping the difficulty up in action games if they seem `casual`
>>
>>343188641
GoW doesn't have blocking, it's all about timed parries and dodge rolls.
And in GoW 3 you for the most part can't mindlessly button mash through the game, the enemies are pretty active and require reaction and dodging skill as well as to prioritoze which enemies to deal with first
>>
>>343188641
>>343189862

GoW Ascension is more complex than MGR. You literally have to keep the combo going and not get hit if you want to use use more skills during battles.
>>
>>343190095
but that game was fucking garbage
>>
>>343190183

Only if you have bad taste. It's better than GoW 3 in terms of gameplay, level and combat design. Its story is obviously unnecessary, but the game is solid. Plus, it has the best final boss fight of the series and it was the most challenging during the time of release, to the point they had to nerf segments like Trials of Archimedes because people simply couldn't handle the fights.
>>
>>343186041
>playing the game for fun
You know where you are right?
>>
>>343185179
>>343185863
I'm talking about QTEs, retards. One of the first QTEs in the game is mashing square really hard
>>
>>343186672
God of War ripped off Devil May Cry 1
Comparing them is pretty reasonable
>>
>>343184762
I find some parts to be really hard in normal
>>
>>343192438
that's funny, Kamiya wants to be like GoW.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.