[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 4
File: you never asked.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
you never asked.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
No late night Metal Gear thread? Guess I'll start one. So I just started this series, I'm currently near the end of MGS2 (during the bossfight with three Metal Gear RAYs at once), and holy shit, why does this game get shit on so much?

Sure, it has problems, I'll definitely agree with that. Raiden and Rose are the worst fucking characters ever and some of the controls haven't aged well, like the fact that to aim a fully automatic weapon you have to
>select it
>hold R1
>lightly hold square
>press harder on square to fire

But the fact is, this game has some amazing level design, superb pacing, and a damn good story with twists I honestly didn't see coming. I honestly prefer it to the original despite my hetero man-love for Solid Snake. I love this fucking game. I love swinging the sword around. I love the atmosphere of Big Shell and Arsenal Gear. I love the music. I love the fourth-wall breaking and Solid Snake's bromance with Otacon, I love the fact that you have to find computer terminals to get a minimap for each area, I love hiding bodies, I just love it. This is what a sequel should be, other than the fact that Raiden is a massive and obvious downgrade from Solid Snake. It could honestly be one of my all-time favorites, no exaggeration.

So, /v/, tell me, did you like this game? Why or why not? Pls don't spoil
>>
MGS2 is my favorite metal gear. People love to call it a and suck 3's dick for some reason. MGS2 is perfect for me.
Go finish the game you fuck.
>>
I replay MGS2 yearly since I first played it a little after it came out. I replay the entire series yearly but MGS2 is also my favorite game of all time.

Also Rose and Raiden actually do have some good codecs, I hope you didn't skip any.
>>
>>343158296
Didn't skip any, but come the fuck on man, the bad faaaaar outweighs the good. I don't need a five minute conversation about Raiden not letting her in his bedroom. The reveal of her being a Patriots spy was pretty great though.

>>343158210
I'll finish it tomorrow, anon, don't worry.
>>
2 and Peace Walker are tied as my faves in the series. Fantastic games.
>>
>check the women's bathroom for Stillman
>Rose chews me out
10/10 Kojima
>>
>>343158463
>I don't need a five minute conversation about Raiden not letting her in his bedroom

That's actually the one I was talking about. I don't know I thought it was good insight to his character, Raiden had a hard life

you don't know that meme yet
>>
>>343158108
>why does this game get shit on so much?
When it came out it was advertised as "the return of Snake", even though I was just a lad I still thought I was right in assuming I'd be playing as Snake. I was wrong, and pissed.
>>
>>343158463
>I don't need a five minute conversation about Raiden not letting her in his bedroom.
Agreed with the other Anon, that was one of the good ones. Don't forget to call Rose during the final weeb boss fight.
>>
>>343158108
>superb pacing

I love MGS2 but most of the fun has passed after the Harrier

I keep a save file from before entering Core 1 because that's when you're the most free
>>
Solidus did nothing wrong.
>>
>>343158536
I have a ton of respect for Kojima. I mean, who else has stayed relevant and at the forefront of games for like 30 years? That being said, I can't help but think the man doesn't know too much about women judging by Rose's characterization. Which is weird, because the women in MGS1 were written so much better.

>>343158619
>>343158750
I have a problem with it because the Codec conversations never depict Rose as anything but a jealous, nagging cunt and Raiden as anything but a raging immature spastic. If these people have been together for two years, why do they never show any real affection towards each other other than "Oh, sorry I yelled at you last time you called. I love you bye!" I'd like a baseline for what their relationship USUALLY is so that you could see the mission affect it over time. Instead, from minute one they're butting heads.
Also
>Don't forget to call Rose during the final weeb boss fight.
Nigga I call everyone from everywhere, don't even worry about that. I still call Stillman from time to time.
>Raiden had a hard life
Agreed, but holy shit, Otacon's life was hard too. Molested, your dad kills himself, your sister hates you, you build Metal Gear, your new best friend kills your crush, and your sister dies? Rough shit.

>>343158673
Good point, I think knowing that I wouldn't play as Based Snake for the whole game as well as playing it 15 years later lessened the blow of having to play as Raiden. How do you feel about the game now?

>>343158976
Might not be as good on a second playthrough, but after the Harrier is nothing but discoveries and twists, so it's kept me really entertained on my first time through.
>>
Most people hate MGS2 because they are still asshurt about it.

You think the shitstorm over MGSV was bad? Compared to MGS2 it was nothing, fucking N.O.T.H.I.N.G.

Metal Gear Solid 1 was 100% normie approved. It was a military action game when not a ton of those were around, Hideo Kojima was not yet established as an absolute madman. MGS2 was the ultimate sequel. Fucking graphics that gave PC a run for its money, technology and production values out the ass, the hype was real; Snake was BACK!

Only not really, instead it turned out it was about twinkboy Raiden, the marketing was deliberately misleading and nobody fucking expected a social commentary on sequels and video games back in 2001.

Holy fuck people were mad, people are still mad to this day.
>>
>>343159202
Are you still mad, amigo?
>>
>>343159149
>Agreed, but holy shit, Otacon's life was hard too

Oh god don't remind me, that cutscene with him after Emma gets me every time. The music over that nice shot of the shell and otacons sad words. Damn.
>>
File: Dr. Feelhattan.jpg (85 KB, 573x400) Image search: [Google]
Dr. Feelhattan.jpg
85 KB, 573x400
>>343159890
Emma dying wrecked me. Total fucking shock. I did so much to save her.

Speaking of which, why is that part with her in the water considered so hard? Got it on my first try easily? Although maybe it's because I'm not a small child.
>>
>>343160045
>ending my statement with a question mark
Wew lads, my bad.
>>
>>343159149
Their relationship is deeply dysfunctional, that's the point. Rose is a passive aggressive shrew and Raiden is repressed and sometimes beats her
>>
>>343159149
Kojima said in interviews Rose was written based on his personal experiences with his wife.
>>
I love it.

It's my favorite game from the Solid series, and it is a fucking tight stealth game. The stealth VR missions were a 10/10 experience for me.
I just wish they didn't interrupt the gameplay every 10 minutes to tell you what to do through a sucession of codec calls and cutscenes.
>>
>>343160214
Fair enough, but I still didn't enjoy listening to it. Didn't catch the fact that he beats her though, I mean she said he "rose his hand against her" but figured he didn't take it that far. At the time I didn't think he'd have the balls, little did I know he was a child soldier.

>>343160303
If the other anon is right and she was supposed to be a passive aggressive shrew, then this is kind of disturbing.
>>
>>343159202
MGS2 ended up being a good game despite the ruse, unlike V.
>>
>>343160458
This is because the ruse was in the middle of the game and had a point instead of randomly being thrown on to the end after they ran out of time and budget.
>>
I wish the casting director had chosen someone who sounded more like the original voice for Raiden. Then there's some other voice acting stuff that didn't carry to the english version.
>>
>>343160581
In the Japanese version, Solid and Solidus have the same voice actor. I feel this is a major change.
>>
>>343160527
>thrown on to the end after they ran out of time and budget

Oh come on. People called it after GZ, I remember because people noticed medic was voiced by KS too.
>>
>>343160527
>randomly being thrown on to the end

mgsv's twist was trash but a fake big boss was pretty much the prevailing theory from the start

it just wasn't executed well or in any meaningful way
>>
File: glorious nippon steel.gif (2 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
glorious nippon steel.gif
2 MB, 400x225
Related to this, is Metal Gear Rising worth playing if I've never played a Platinum game before?

I'm really interested to know if Raiden is still an annoying bitch.

>>343160581
What was the original voice like? More manly?

>>343160663
Speaking of Solidus, how did Solid Snake not notice that the President of the United States had his face? Is it because back then everyone's face was flat and blurry?
>>
>>343159202
I never ever understood why people got SO mad about not playing as snake.

I used to think Raiden was lame like everyone else sure but I replayed the tanker section tons of times AND snake was an amazing supporting character in Raiden's section.
>>
>>343160669
>>343160737
It was also hinted at during Phantom Pain as well.

The actual reveal at the end was 100% literally "We ran out of time. Here is the cut scene that we would have shown eventually. The end."
>>
>>343160426
Yeah they don't put a lot of emphasis on it, but it's there.

I don't want to say that not enjoying it is the point exactly, but I feel like their characters wouldn't have the same emotional gravitas if their interactions were more normal or even mixed. Certainly it wouldn't have provided the scene where he spills his guts about the child soldier thing such a catharsis if their relationship wasn't centered around lies and emotional manipulation.
>>
>>343160527
The ruse has nothing to do with it. MGSV is shit all around.
>>
>>343160663
Yeah they have the same actor but he only does the Solid Snake voice when you're eavesdropping and can't actually see Solidus. Then he sounds a tad different when he actually appears in the open. The whole "Solidus calling himself Solid Snake" thing doesn't really make any sense. You don't have any reason to doubt Pliskin because you can Solidus sounds has a different voice actor.

Then whenever Mr.X quotes lines for MGS1, they used the Gray Fox voice clips from MGS1 but for some reason they didn't do that in the english version.

>>343160806
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk9mzQwMvRs&list=PLDD0853895ED44698&index=6

Listen at like 10 seconds in.
>>
>>343160806
MGR is awesome, and yes Raiden undergoes a lot of development after 2. He isn't whiney though, slowly finding out your commander isn't telling you the whole truth and you're being played like a fiddle would suck.
>>
>>343160806
They just turn Raiden into a generic edgy badass cyborg in MGS4 and then an even more generic edgy badass in MGR.

He's pretty great in MGR tho.
>>
>>343160970
>because you can Solidus sounds has a different voice actor.

Because you can hear that Solidus has a different voice actor.*

What the fuck did I just write.
>>
I love MGS, I think it's a fucking amazing game and the nostalgia from playing it as a child on the PS1 makes it even better
I love MGS3 just as much, because fuck that game feels so COMPLETE. It just felt like an amazing ride, and it pushed the PS2's power to it's limit, definitely a 10/10 on that system.

But, I don't know what's with MGS2. I had the game but never played it, then some day my internet goes out at 8am. I put the disc in, and it's 8pm when I finished the game. It was SO, amazingly immersive, I just felt like I lived in there, the level design is outstanding, if I had to pick one metal gear game to be the absolute best GAME, it would definitely be MGS2.

Never played the enhanced versions (2 or 3, or TT if you count that), talking about their basic 1-3 versions.
>>
>>343160868
Honestly I thought snake was much better as a supporting character like that, than as the POV character.
>>
>>343160924
I see what you're saying, I'd probably appreciate the interactions more now that I know about the reveal and what their relationship is supposed to be.

>>343160981
In 2 he's definitely whiny. He constantly bitches and moans about having to defuse bombs and save the president before he ever finds out that he's being played like a damn fiddle.
>>
>>343161083
I agree. Did everyone forget that he finished his arc at the end of MGS1? Remember him laughing and deciding to 'live his life to the fullest'/'live life one step at a time' or whatever?
>>
>>343158108
Congrats on coming out, OP.

Hope your family is proud.
>>
>>343160970
Huh, same actor as Sanson in Nadia and the German pilot in this. Definitely a different vibe than the English.
>>
>>343160981
naw dude he's pretty whiny. He gets an attitude with snake and stillman multiple times. He's supposed to be. He's supposed to be everything snake isn't as far as personality goes.
>>
>>343161083
>>343161224

I'm the opposite, I feel like Raiden would be a better supporting character, so I'm interested in seeing him in MGS4.

With that being said, for the story being told in MGS2, it's clear that Raiden is the better choice for a protagonist, despite the fact that I prefer Snake.

As for finishing his arc, clearly a lot has happened between 1 and 2. Meryl hasn't even been mentioned, and Metal Gear info went public. So Snake seems to have been forced out of a quiet life, again, because he feels he has a duty to stop Metal Gear.
>>
>>343161195
That's fair, it was something I only started to pay attention to on subsequent playthroughs too. Now it might honestly be my favorite part
>>
>>343161469
By snake finishing his arc I mean he's no longer ashamed of being a soldier or being a murderer etc. He's self-actualized as a character. It's pretty obvious that his place in mgs2 is as a character that's already figured things out. It's why he's playing this pseudo-mentor role for Raiden. This will all become more obvious by the end tho.
>>
I really hope that eventually MGSV will be more appreciated later on despite its flaws and that it's incomplete. Even with all of that there was still a reason for having Venom not be Big Boss and that there was a point to it all.
>>
>>343158108
>Raiden is the worst fucking character

Shut up in there will ya?!
>>
>>343161563
Then I've got something to look forward to. I honestly couldn't tell you what my favorite part of this game is; it all seems like one long "part", I don't know how to explain it. Like the pacing is so damn good that I don't even notice the passage of time. I've put over 14 hours into this game already and I'm not done. I'm constantly back tracking and exploring nooks and crannies and trying out shit that works and being impressed by the TECHNOLOGY.
>>
>>343161742
There are a lot of people that already love V.

This is the only forum where I can say it's like 90% hate and like 10% people defending it.

The game is a super unfinished peace walker with a cooler story. I just wish it had been finished, the thought of what it couldve been with all the polish and fine tunings that i'm sure would have gone into it sounds like it'd be amazing.
>>
>>343161742
I'm hoping that now that the series is over it will eventually be the general opinion that only the first three mgs are good and the rest of the series is worthless beyond some fun gameplay and wacky stories.
>>
>>343160806
Yeah, Rising is pretty good.

But I dislike what they turned him into, because his character development was just fine by the end of MGS2; and at least MGS4 gave him a nice closure. But Rising threw all of that out of the window.
>>
all of the metal gear games a great, some better then others but there all worth a few play troughs, including the originals on the msx and nes. for me twin snakes and 3 are the best, loved 4 and 5 to.
>>
>>343161893
There's some excellent analyses of MGSV that show how the game does show Big Boss's downfall but in a much subtler and meta way. Here are two pieces I particularly like:

http://thesnakesoup.org/videos/metal-gear-solid-v-parasitic-legacy/

https://vs642.wordpress.com/2015/09/22/critical-analysis-of-metal-gear-solid-v-the-boldfaced-lie/
>>
>>343158108
I played MGS3 before MGS2

If you do that it makes the gameplay and level design of MGS2 look like shit
>>
>>343162487
I thought MGS3 was a step down in everything but boss battles desu
>>
>>343162385
i agree 5 was really clever in the way it made you sympathize with boss, he was getting fed up of fighting and be used, it gets more obvious as the game goes on.
>>
>>343162487
That's weird because I played all of them in order and I don't think there's a single game in the series with anything but excellent gameplay.
>>
>>343158108
>Sure, it has problems, I'll definitely agree with that. Raiden and Rose are the worst fucking characters ever and some of the controls haven't aged well, like the fact that to aim a fully automatic weapon you have to
>>select it
>>hold R1
>>lightly hold square
>>press harder on square to fire

I'm pretty sure they got rid of that in the HD remaster.
>>
>>343162385
>the snake soup
i haven't been on that site since i was like 12. I used to RP with people on there.

Was gonna say in my post, I always like to see peoples interpretations of this game. With how unfinished/vague it is it leaves a lot up to the players mind.
>>
>>343162721
They did not, because that's what I'm playing. Just takes some getting used to, it's just a product of its time, really.
>>
>>343162487
They're completely different beasts.
>>
>>343162773

Sure that you can't deactivate it on PS3? The 360 controller has no analog buttons, so at least in that version they had to scrap it.
>>
>>343162904
Didn't see it in the options, but it's definitely possible. I'll check tomorrow when I inevitably finish the game.
>>
>>343162607
The thing I think a lot of people miss is how a lot of the elements of the game, such as the parasites and the FOBs, foreshadow and hint at the nature of Big Boss and his relationship with Venom. Parasitism is used as a metaphor for how foreign powers exploit weaker nations and civil wars in the Third World to further their interests, and Afghanistan and Central Africa are chosen because these are places that were the settings for major proxy wars of the Cold War. Code Talker also uses biology as a metaphor for how a leader can convince an entire nation to follow their will and can lead a people to willingly go to war for them. Kaz tells you that the purpose of FOBs is to draw away the attention of enemies to them in order to protect Mother Base.

Both of these directly apply to Big Boss and Venom. Diamond Dogs is effectively a proxy or FOB, a front for Outer Heaven, and the legend of Big Boss is a parasite that feeds on those who follow and believe in Big Boss. Identity and free will are major themes in the series, and by having the player become Big Boss through Venom we are effectively surrendering our own identity and free will to Big Boss. The scene where Big Boss takes the passport with the player's name and avatar is the direct opposite of the scene in MGS2 where Raiden throws away the dog tag with the players name, which is supposed to represent him being freed from the player's control and finding his own purpose in life. Kojima emphasized a lot about how he wants the player to be Big Boss and he uses this to show how we are actually giving up our own identity and agency by allowing ourselves to be taken into Big Boss's identity.
>>
>>343163243
The way the game play is meant to simulate war, stuff like the long helicopter rides, the repetitive killing, the long fire fights, losing friends, being betrayed all these things and more are meant to make you feel for big boss, empathize with why big boss does what he does.

At the same time its done in such a way that the lines become blurred between right and wrong, at the end of mgs4 where big boss kills major zero and then dies due to fox die, leaves you feeling relived that's its all over but at the same time in a way evil has won.
>>
>>343161469
Meryl was mentioned in passing during the Tanker, after you beat Olga, with Snake mentioning it didn't work out in the end.
>>
>>343158296
Glad to see someone else does this, I play the series one a year and salute during the credits of each game.

I really like MGS
>>
I want to buy a ps2 copy again for my collection
Is Substance a worthwhile upgrade or just get Sons of Liberty?
>>
>>343168963
Substance is really fun. Snake Tales, VR Missions, Snakeboarding, etc.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.