[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't developers of singleplayer plot-driven games make
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7
File: 250px-PMTTYD.jpg (34 KB, 250x349) Image search: [Google]
250px-PMTTYD.jpg
34 KB, 250x349
Why don't developers of singleplayer plot-driven games make games that will make you want to wish you could play it for the first time again anymore?

Why do modern game devs hate being creative and pouring their souls into projects?

The last game to make me think "I wish I could play this for the first time again" was the La-mulana remake. That wasn't even story driven! That was just an amazing, fun adventure. As a matter of fact, all the best singleplayer games tend to make you wish you could play them for the first time again.

Why, /v/, do singleplayer game devs make stupid, boring/bland/uncreative garbage with mediocre gameplay, non-existent sound direction, and "realistic" art styles?

And indie game devs aren't exempt from this, too, 99% of the games on itch.io are literally 1970's arcade games with a splash of paint thrown on them that you can play as long as you can before you get bored.
>>
>>343154531
I havent enjoyed a game the way you described it since 2011 when dark souls came out
holy shit...
>>
>>343154913
And that's because Dark Souls was yet another action/adventure game that strived to be timeless and memorable, yet unique and new. Even the fucking Zelda games were able to pull this off.

Modern games, however, are just exploiting what "works" instead of trying to make something fun.
>>
Also to people who like weeb exploitation games like Senran Kagura, Dead or Alive, and Neptunia, do you actually see any value in it besides the cute girls?
>>
>>343154531
Intelligent stories (Not like /lit/ level pretentious) make normies confused and uncomfortable.
>>
How do I make the character sprites look smooth in dolphin?
>>
>>343155679
TTYD isn't an intelligent story. It's just a fun adventure where cool/interesting/weird stuff happens and the enjoyment comes from discovering the new things.

It's not normies that are uncomfortable with it, it's the old businessmen who are like "I'm afraid this won't make me money." Kind of like with Banjo Threeie.
>>
>>343155720
Up the AA
>>
>>343155784
TTYD is an unfortunate outlier from Nintendo's repitoire during their "creative" phase for the Gamecube.

It may be difficult to recall, but there was a time Nintendo was trying to age up all their franchises and copy what Sony and Microsoft were doing, with a voice acted Mario, Geist, Eternal Darkness, Cubivore, Twilight Princess... and this.

If you look at Nintendo, man, their almost aggressive family friendliness in anything not Intelligent Systems Style or anime-like.

The truth is the sort of game you seem to want is the kind of game doomed to be niche from the start. yes, Paper Mario has a unique artstyle and an excellent lore, but if the the artstyle seems at least a little bit like its not in one's comfort zone, if there's a hint that you won't like it, sales will suffer. The only reason Paper Mario even exists was to take advantage of the N64's various flaws and advantages.
>>
File: info.jpg (3 MB, 3026x3572) Image search: [Google]
info.jpg
3 MB, 3026x3572
>>343154531
>>343155784
In Paper Mario's case it's because of Club Nintendo's feedback & Miyamoto feeling Mario stories should be simple. This is posted a lot in Paper Mario threads but it's quite informative.
>>
>>343156694
But TTYD isn't the only game that can make you feel this way.

Okami, Dark Souls, Warioland 4, Silent Hill 2-3, La-mulana, Mother 3, Final Fantasy Tactics, several RPG's in general such as Chrono Trigger or even OFF, Killer 7, Majora's Mask, even Undertale could pull this off. Etc.

What do these all have in common? They're creative, adventurous, experimentative, unique, timeless, fun, and brimming with substance.

How is this kind of game niche when Souls, Undermeme, and Zelda are so popular for this very reason?
>>
>>343157039
I still don't get the M&L comparison.

Paper Mario is known for it's creativity, not it's RPG mechanics or anything like that. Even SPM is on par with PM. Sticker Star is bland and repetitive, and a generic "mario" adventure. Using another series that actually is a spin on generic "mario" adventures as an excuse to make another series a generic "mario" adventure is retarded.
>>
Mainly because you're a jaded gamer who's played too much vidya. There's plenty of fresh young minds that will feel the same way about today's games as you did 20 years ago. Your expectations can't be met, you're like that drug addict chasing that first high.
>>
>>343157283
not an argument

I am equally invested in music as I am vidya and I can say that modern music is fantastic, just as older generations of music are also fantastic.

Videogames have actually gotten worse.
>>
Are you implying TTYD is good?
>>
>>343157382
(you)
>>
File: The_World_Ends_With_You.jpg (121 KB, 400x360) Image search: [Google]
The_World_Ends_With_You.jpg
121 KB, 400x360
>>343154531

> make you want to wish you could play it for the first time again anymore?

Sequel never ever
>>
>>343155679
This is true.
I tried to get my friends to watch primer and they bailed
>>
>>343157212
I think they compared the series since 90% of the staff is new to Paper Mario. A majority weren't there from the beginning & probably only saw at first glance that the 2 series are really similar looking due to them both being RPG games & having action commands but don't know enough to realize how different they actually are.
>>
>>343157491
Too busy making the next 7 Kingdom Hearts spinoffs.
>>
>>343157364
You're right, it's my fault for responding to OP's bait thread.
>>
>>343157052
You can call them experimental, but they are also derivative as well. I mean that in a good way. With every Zelda, you expect the same things in roughly the same pattern, but in a different way. It also always has other contemporary action/adventure games with which it may compare.

Undermeme not only has Earthbound to look for for humorous inspiration, but owes and entertainingly fresh characters as remixes of Homestuck characters. And remember that Souls games took 3 games to really take off in popularity, and Final Fantasy Tactics was not recognized until years later as good. It seems most of the games you cite are games that perform poorly when compared to its contemporaries and stand out when viewed from the perspective of its genre.

I won't spend the time to answer all your examples, but...

"Chrono Trigger basically began as a jam session — a couple of star designers and a manga artist getting together to brainstorm and seeing what they might produce. No pressure. No cynicism. No stockholders wringing their hands over whether having so-and-so as a hero instead of such-and-such might have a negative impact on profitability, or insisting the graphics and story be changed midway through development to fit into an already-existing series rather than taking a chance on a new franchise."
-http://socksmakepeoplesexy.net/index.php?a=trigger

Sometimes you just can't give it your all.
>>
>>343157745
>bait thread
How so? There hasn't been a single unique/creative singleplayer story-driven game outside of Undertale since Wonderful 101.
>>
> tfw you like 2 games that will never get sequels because they are over shadowed by a third game associated with them.

> also fits OPs criteria
>>
>>343157815
Hang yourself
>>
>>343157872
There hasn't. Undertale was definitely creative and memorable, but it was also shit, that's why I bring it up.
>>
>>343157364
>modern music is fantastic
Explain yourself.
>>
It's because of gamers are willing to play it. It's the same reason why FPS takes up a large part of the market, it sells and it takes less effort to come up with something new. I wish the gaming industry had more people who were passionate with their work rather than coming up with cheap ways to earn a buck with stuff like DLC or going with the crowd.
>>
>>343157872
If there was, you'd give an example instead of throwing an ad hominem.

>>343157942
Exmilitary, To Be Kind, The Money Store, A Million Miles Away, Blank Banshee 0, Currents, Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, No Love Deep Web, Twin Fantasy, Lift Yr. Skinny Fists, Father of Death, NieR OST, Antlers, etc all came out post 2009 and are all fantastic unless you have shit taste.
>>
>>343154531
The industry isn't supported by the enthusiasts any more. that's literally all there is to it.
>>
>>343157283
Modern industry being fucking shit is more at fault than gamer being "jaded".
I still get those "first highs" when I play an old gem that I never played before. Can't say the same about most of the crap that comes out these days.
>>
>>343157212
>>343157548
Best explanation I've heard against this M&L thing is that they are two very different story niches.
>M&L is a passive experience, wherein you're basically guiding the brothers and watching their antics
>PM is an active experience, where you ARE Mario, and feel a more personal repsonsibility for the actions/world

Put simply, the idea of the Doopliss chapter wouldn't possibly work in M&L, because in that case it's not YOUR identity being stolen, it's the brothers'.
>>
>>343158334
I'll have to look into the stuff you mentioned, since I've literally only heard of one of those artists and I was expecting you to say some shit like Katy Perry for some reason.
>>
>>343158903
Those are albums, not artists.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sjxQPonVy0

Currents will probably be the best to listen to first sine you like older music tho
>>
File: Sticker Star final boss.jpg (15 KB, 290x174) Image search: [Google]
Sticker Star final boss.jpg
15 KB, 290x174
Never bring up Undertale in a Paper Mario thread ever again.
>>
>>343159246
Get a trip so I can filter you.
>>
>>343159246
Everyone hates you Cody
>>
File: No fun allowed.webm (3 MB, 900x506) Image search: [Google]
No fun allowed.webm
3 MB, 900x506
>>343154531
>>
>>343160293
Well at least there's no goombas...yet.
>>
>>343159246
I want to stick my dick in that
>>
File: 1453577418696.png (804 KB, 1167x900) Image search: [Google]
1453577418696.png
804 KB, 1167x900
>>343160293
>>
Agree OP. Only game I'm even looking forward to is Breath of the wild
>>
>>343154531
>The last game to make me think "I wish I could play this for the first time again" was

The Witness.

And before that, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture.
>>
File: PMSS Mural.png (134 KB, 400x240) Image search: [Google]
PMSS Mural.png
134 KB, 400x240
>>343155784
> It's just a fun adventure where cool/interesting/weird stuff happens and the enjoyment comes from discovering the new things.

You don't "discover the new things" TTYD is a linear story mario RPG where you're lead from point to point simply by the story and allt he discovery is you "stumbling" onto things the same way every time.

In fact Sticker Star actually fits that descriptor " It's just a fun adventure where cool/interesting/weird stuff happens and the enjoyment comes from discovering the new things." , you can complete some of the later worlds before the earlier ones and can jump between progression in each world as you wish. The exploration and progression is placed in the players hands not the story tellers.
>>
Fucking Nintendo manchildren disgust me.

I own Paper Mario: TTYD. It's a great mascot JRPG for children. That's it. Move on. Grow up. There are other and better games to play.
>>
>>343155509
This. i like waifu and shit but gameplay doesn't make me want to play them
>>
>>343155509
2/3 of those actually have good gameplay and story
>>
>>343157283
I'm 30, and playing dark souls 1 for the first time made me feel like a child.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.