[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which one is better? My vote goes to Goldeneye.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5
File: gevsp.png (437 KB, 840x394) Image search: [Google]
gevsp.png
437 KB, 840x394
Which one is better? My vote goes to Goldeneye.
>>
007 has better levels. PD has better everything else.

Both of these games are a nightmare to play today because of how badly they run.
>>
Perfect Dark hands down you fucking misoginistic womanizing cunt
>>
perfect dark is literally an improved version of goldeneye
>>
>>343145045
Perfect Dark at least has the XBLA version, but manual aiming is miserable on that for whatever reason.
>>
>>343144623
Perfect Dark is a masterpiece even to this day. Someone post that "TECHNOLOGY" image that lists PD's feats.

I have a small glimmer of hope that Playtonic makes a spiritual successor to it if Yooka-Laylee is a success.
>>
>>343145823
There already is a spiritual successor to Goldeneye/Perfect Dark made by ex-Rare. It's called Timesplitters.
>>
>>343145356
it doesnt have james bond
>>
>>343146470
timesplitters' level design nor overall gameplay wasn't nearly as intriguing as pd or ge
>>
>>343146872
This.

It was by technical standards a much much better game (in fact better than most modern games are many areas) but came out to late to really stand out from the other generic sci-fi shooters.
>>
File: perfect motherfucking dark.jpg (196 KB, 969x756) Image search: [Google]
perfect motherfucking dark.jpg
196 KB, 969x756
>>343145823
>>
>>343145823

>PD's feats

Running at 10 frames per second is not a feat.

Game is still great though.
>>
>>343147446
see
>>343147678
>>
>>343148337
>tfw playing 8-team capture the case on Grid with proximity mines
>>
>>343147678
Is the 'Quick Weapon Menu' really that rare? Perfect dark did more or less come up with it, but the few games that don't do the two weapon limit have it.
>>
>>343144623
PD progression is all messed up. You are forced to complete the objectives in a certain order, and it's not often clear what you have to do. For example, in the streets mission, if you venture too far from the first objective, you get a mission failed just because you didn't do some minor task like planting a transmitter in a car. In Goldeneye, that shit never happened to me.
>>
>>343145045

>not emulating and enabling 60fps and mouse injector
>>
>>343150419
That screws up the physics a lot though

plus half of the difficulty of those games was using the stupid n64 analog stick
>>
>>343151943
This.

Even most modern console FPS are piss easy with a mouse. It's just a matter of clicking on what you want to die.
>>
>>343145241
Kek I sense penis envy
>>
GET HER
>>
How do the timesplitters games compare to these as single player games?
>>
Perfect Dark is basically an improved Goldeneye, I love both but I have to shift towards PD, especially since it has a unique character/story/weapons/setting/etc.
>>
I just realized the "mouth" is actually his hand holding the gun

Holy shit
>>
>>343155249
TS1-2's single-player is more in the GE/PD style. In story, the first game is not connected to the rest.

Future Perfect has more modern features and is much less GE/PD-like, still a good game though.
>>
>>343155513

What the fuck are you, 4 years old?
>>
File: Joanna Dark,,.jpg (20 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
Joanna Dark,,.jpg
20 KB, 400x300
>>
File: 1438975933741.jpg (366 KB, 980x1062) Image search: [Google]
1438975933741.jpg
366 KB, 980x1062
PDZ wasn't that bad.
>>
>>343150147
Imnotsmartenoughtoplaythegame.jpg
>>
>>343155953
Yes it was. Dont lie.
>>
>>343150419
mouse injector? What emulator does this?
>>
>>343145823
>I have a small glimmer of hope that Playtonic makes a spiritual successor to it
As much as I'd love that I don't think anyone from the PD team work at Playtonic though, most of the PD guys went on to form Free Radical which got bought out years ago.
>>
>>343155953
It was passable in its day but was so completely overshadowed by every console shooter to come out afterward it wasn't even funny. Jo's PDZ design is still great though.
>>
Goldeneye.
>>
>>343156924
FreeRadical devs ended up as Crytek UK, though I'm not entirely sure in what state they're in now. Homefront The Revolution had an in-game TS2 demo, but that was published by Deep Silver.
>>
>>343157475
Apparently Crytek UK was shutdown in 2014, Homefront Revolution was sold to Deep Silver and finished by Dambuster Studios.
>>
>>343157943
Wonder if the devs went over to Playtonic.
>>
>>343158142
Ok it seems that Dambuster Studios is basically another studio created by the guys from FreeRadical/Crytek UK so given their track record so far I wouldn't expect anything particularly PD-ish ever coming from them but who knows.
>>
>>343158142
Pretty sure all that happened was they changed the windows of the office to say Dambuster. I drive past the offices all the time and I'm fairly certain it's the same people it's always been.
>>
>>343147678
Naw man

>1. atmosphere
I agree, but it's subjective and such hyperbole to say no game ever captured atmosphere like PD did.

>3. atmosphere again
Okay

>4. weapon variation
Had been done. Unreal and Quake, to name a couple, had alien weapons before PD

>8. pinnacle of split screen MP
Again subjective, but this time I disagree.

>9. bots
UT and Quake 3 were both moddable, had a slew of game modes, and you could customise bots in skill ability, race, colour, face

>10. hub world
I hate them, and it may have pioneered it for FPS games, but I don't really see that as anything special

>11. audio adds to atmosphere
Third point on the same topic, more hyperbole, subjective.

>12. looks amazing today
When was this chart made? The design and aesthetic is solid but I didn't note it as anything special 10 years after release, let alone now.

>13. weapon switching
UT99 and Quake 3 used 0-9 for weapon selection, modern games including Fallout 3, New Vegas, probably TES games, Splinter Cell Blacklist, Gears of War, and many more have a weapon wheel or weapon swap slots.

>14. the only game with fun multiplayer
Hyperbole, Jesus. Halo and Timesplitters surpassed PD within 5 years, Goldeneye was also fun, there were heaps of fun MP games on PC, and today there's a metric fuck ton of games that surpass PD in terms of multiplayer quality (otherwise people would still be playing it)

>15. ground breaking gameplay
Despite being almost a sequel to another game and coming out at literally the same time as Deus Ex, which allowed multiple approaches to every level?

>16. spiritual successor to Goldeneye
Proving that it was the refinement of concepts and not the pioneer, making a lot of its claims of being ground breaking false. You wouldn't say Halo 3 was ground breaking for online console FPS when 2 did it earlier.

PD is fantastic but that image is not.
>>
File: 1453758364772.png (60 KB, 215x290) Image search: [Google]
1453758364772.png
60 KB, 215x290
>>343144623
I never played the campaign for perfect dark I used to play the multiplayer with bots/friends all the time.
I love both but probably going to lean close to bond because I actually completely beat it.
>>
>>343159137
Ah, alright
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.