[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we talk about this game? I honestly tried my fucking hardest
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 11
File: hyperlightshit.jpg (68 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
hyperlightshit.jpg
68 KB, 1280x720
Can we talk about this game? I honestly tried my fucking hardest to like this game but hot damn the controls and technical issues just ruined it for me. Dashing consistently is not reliable because of the constantly dropping framrate (FUCKING HOW WITH THOSE PIXEL GRAPHICS?), dashing in general doesn't make sense. You can dash over gaps but get blocked by enemies? What the fuck? The game would feel so much smoother if you would be able to dash through enemies. I'm sure some of you will say, "HURR THAT WOULD MAKE THE GAME BROKEN," yeah nah fuck you. It sends mixed signals to the player when enemies can pass through you with attack animations but you can't do the same with dash.

Also exploration is just fucking stupid. I'm all for rewarding players that pay attention to their surroundings but checking every pixel on a wall for a secret pathway? That's just tedious bullshit. Like I said before the game appealed to me in various ways (fantastic art directions, stupendous soundtrack) but the actual gameplay wasn't tight enough for me to enjoy it.

Anyone else feel the same?
>>
yeah
>>
Guess I should have posted a picture of some jailbait to get an actual discussion about video games. My bad.
>>
>>343143089
There's nothing really to discuss when you're pretty much right in the OP. The game is disappointingly mediocre.
>>
>>343141327
You can pass over gaps because that's empty space and your momentum carries you over. You can't dash through enemies because they are solid and block you, just like walls would.

Rest of your complaints are fine though.
>>
>>343143395
Well shit ok then. Why the fuck does it have like 94% positive reviews on Steam then? What the fuck? I haven't seen suck cocksucking in a while. I played the new Doom and enjoyed the fuck out of that from start to finish yet it only has like 86% positive reviews. What the fuck is wrong with people? Is is just because Hyper Light Drifter was a kickstarter game?

What the fuck does this game do so well aside from art direction and soundtrack that it warrants such a good score?
>>
>>343141327
>get hit once
>fall off a cliff
>respawn right where the enemy is
>get pushed off before I can do anything
>repeat
>die
Yeah, it could be better.
>>
>>343143504
Why is it that enemies can pass through us but not vice versa? Honestly it's my biggest complaint for the game because trying to fight multiple enemies in close quarters with shitty framerate is already glitchy enough while also trying to move around.

I just want to know why the framerate is so damn low for a game that is essentially a SNES game.
>>
>>343143653
Way too many people prefer style over substance. Hell, just look at how goddamn positive everyone seems to be about Kentucky Route Zero.
>>
>>343144026
I thought Kentucky Route Zero was pretty cool.
>>
File: image.jpg (16 KB, 200x151) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16 KB, 200x151
OMEDETOO!
>>
>>343144568
It's legit a 2/10 game for me
As a classic Point & Click adventure fan, I was so excited by the style of that game, but that is all it had. No puzzles (except a really shitty one in the beginning), bad dialog, no story, annoying sound effects. Nothing.
>>
>>343141327
The framerate absolutely destroys the game. I bought it because i was looking forward to it since it was announced, and have been in love with the visuals and music ever since, but apart from that, there's not much else to it. The combat is alright, but it completely falls apart when you need really precise inputs to dodge certain attacks and you can't do them under 30FPS. I also don't like that you can't dodge through enemies as you mentioned, and the secrets are also really obtuse for no real reason.

I really wish I liked it more than I did, because some parts of it were enjoyable, but it's pretty much a lot of style for no substance. I still find it hilarious that they can't fix the framerate, because when coding the game on GameMaker, they tied everything to 30FPS. This is literally the most retarded mistake you can make, and something you just use when doing a prototype or whatever.
>>
>>343141327
Get better hardware faggot.
>>
>>343145536
I dunno man if an i5 and a 970 can't run this game at a constant 60 FPS then the game devs should literally fucking kill themselves for being so fucking shit at their jobs.

You should join them as well you fucking shitposting faggot.
>>
>>343145749
The game is capped at 30. I got the same setup as you, and you can't get it higher than that because the retarded devs coded the game logic tied to that framerate.
>>
>>343146015
>The game is capped at 30
Yeah it drives me crazy as to why the fuck they made this decision. Would've been a near perfect game if they didn't do this. All of the game's issues are pretty much tied to this restriction.
>>
I don't have any interfering framerate problems, and I don't even have a dedicated GPU.
NG+ is a fucking bitch though. holy hell. I need a fucking controller already. I wish i could figure out why my PS3 controller stopped working, but that's linux for you.
>>
>>343146701
>I don't have any interfering framerate problems
>Works on my machine

I hate to be that guy but how? Literally every single review I have read addresses the fact that the framerate is a consistent problem for players and hinders the gameplay.
>>
I don't have a problem with the gameplay.
It's certainly a bitch, but it rewards skill pretty damn well. I like the exploration approach, too. I just wish the detailed map wasn't such a steaming pile.
>>
File: 1464904634738.jpg (46 KB, 625x416) Image search: [Google]
1464904634738.jpg
46 KB, 625x416
the game is nowhere near perfection but damn you sound salty, you probably just suck ass at the game
>>
>>343141327
>You can dash over gaps but get blocked by enemies?
you CAN dash through enemies. it's an upgrade. Attack+Space.
git gud.
>>
>>343147083
>damn you sound salty, you probably just suck ass at the game

And you sound like all the other cocksucking kickstarting hipsters that supported this game just because it had "LOL SO RETRO" graphics. Beat the game myself but that doesn't mean the framerate and shitty game mechanics are inexcusable faggot. Kill yourself.
>>
>>343147292
how can you beat the game and not realize how to play? are you really that far gone into framerate masturbation?
>>
It's bland and boring

I don't know why /v/ expected anything else
>>
>>343141327

The game was really short but I enjoyed it. It could've been a lot better but I still think the combat was well done and the boss fights were pretty cool (still think that bird guy was the best).

overall i'd give it like a 7/10
>>
>>343147593
>are you really that far gone into framerate masturbation?

I've gotten to the point where if a game doesn't run at a consistent framerate I become irrationally angry because in this day and age (especially with graphics like these) it's inexcusable to not optimize a game to run at a consistent framerate. These days I just stick to older multiplayer games because why spend money on shit that obviously won't be updated by the devs because they don't give a fuck.
>>
Still shits on mighty no. 9 doe
>>
>>343148032
That's not really an achievement anon...
>>
>>343141327
>Pixel Eva

I'm a little mad
>>
The game is boring and quite different from what the original kickstarter implied.
It was supposed to be exploration, loot, RPG mechanics.. shit like that. But turned out it's basically megaman formula with the map literally pointing you to the next boss. I'm very disappointed in that. I didn't have issues with gameplay though other than it being 30fps and eyesore.

But my god. The visual & sound design of this game are fucking FFFANTASTIC. Something about the 'sick' feeling of the game hit all the right notes for me and spooked every cell in my body in a way that I've never felt before. It's brilliant, fantastic etc. all other praise words that exist.

Now that I think of it, I'd like to see animations from the creator instead of games.
>>
it's out?
>>
>>343148187
Now that you mention it, I also remember looking forward to it because of RPG mechanics and other things that reminded me of how the Souls series work, and that is making me even more disappointed in what we got.
>>
>>343148107
Well I still got SOME enjoyment out of it at the very least, I still refunded eventually anyway
>>
>>343148187
>But my god. The visual & sound design of this game are fucking FFFANTASTIC.

Fucking agreed. I am OP and just fell in love with the soundtrack and art style of the game but the framerate and game mechanics were a thorn in the game's side. So close to my ideal game but just not quite there yet. Hoping maybe the devs learn from this and continue to evolve and make something else.
>>
File: header.jpg (37 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
37 KB, 460x215
How about this game OP?
>>
>>343148652
I am OP. I'm drunk as fuck at this point and just bought this after looking at it on Steam. Will give it a try. Thanks for the rec.
>>
>>343148652
This is really fucking good. The art is great, and if you play it on hard it is very similar to how punishing Dark Souls can be.
>>
>>343148652
>>343148759
OP again. Should I just buy the entire Metroidvania Bundle available on Steam? All the games look interesting and it's all shit I love to play. Worth?
>>
File: hyperlight.jpg (85 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
hyperlight.jpg
85 KB, 620x413
>>343148452
>>343148356
Yeah. From the moment in the intro where the main character pukes hyper light the theme really hit me and I felt uneasy for the rest of the game. Also each time he starts coughing hyper light I twisted my toes as if it was me dying.
I'm not even exaggerating... did you guys feel this way, or was it just my extreme fear of diseases?
Just fucking listen to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBuRu8MtkGU

Also pic related. It was supposed to have damage numbers and chests, and the developer says it would "..play like the best parts of A Link to the Past and Diablo, evolved..."
so yeah. :(
>>
>>343149083
Salt and sanctuary is pretty good, not sure about the others
>>
>>343149320
OP here again. Honestly the soundtrack hit every single high point for me. I like the trance/synthwave/cyberpunk type music and this was ideal for me. Just wish the devs provided what was apparently promised.
>>
File: 1459639618.png (1 MB, 880x1124) Image search: [Google]
1459639618.png
1 MB, 880x1124
>>343141327
dude i felt the same as you. seirously i pirated it and i HATED IT. i was like how the fuck cna people like this shit game.

but then i forced myself to play it... and my god 29 hours later i 100% the game its my GOTY.... takes time... if you can make it past the barrier youre in for a fun ass time.
>>
>>343144904
>No puzzles

dude the whole game is a puzzle wtf you talking about. did you get past even the first miniboss? christ

>>343147271
this
>>
>>343150218
OP here. I beat it but it left a bad taste in my mouth. I honestly just beat games I buy out of pure principle and tried as hard as I possibly could to like the game. Like I stated in the thread the soundtrack and art style are 10/10 but there are just too many technical issues for it to be a complete 10/10 for me.

Eventually the combat did "click" for me but it honestly just felt worse because there were multiple times when I felt the framerate was hindering my abilites to do cool shit.
>>
File: 1461722233250.png (96 KB, 462x600) Image search: [Google]
1461722233250.png
96 KB, 462x600
>>343141327
>I honestly tried my fucking hardest to like this game but hot damn the controls and technical issues just ruined it for me.

Agreed, I refunded that shit.
It looks good, you-tubers rate it highly but it just feel so stale along with all the points you made (except the passing through enemies thing, I don't really care about that).
>>
>>343147980

I agree solely with this anon right here. Kinda disappointed with the stuff that got changed and removed but for what it is, I think it was great. Terribly bittersweet ending, good music and art direction, I felt the game play was solid. Framerate didn't bother me much at all. Discussion here for this game died out so fast by the time I got it no one wanted to discuss it. Glad I have my chance now.
>>
I'm not sure if the people complaining got far enough in the game to figure out the theme, but the creator made it as an allegory for some terminal disease he has, i can't remember what. The reason why it's kinda low quality is because he rushed it out before he was too dead to release it. This doesn't make the game any better, but I think it's pretty interesting to know.
>>
>>343150596
>hen I felt the framerate was hindering my abilites to do cool shit.

i understand actually. the dev did say that somewhere down the line like 6-8 months after release they will be upgrading the engine to 60 fps. so maybe come back to it and try then yeah? You gave it a chance which is pretty noble of you dude.
>>
File: 1463287190337.jpg (72 KB, 673x425) Image search: [Google]
1463287190337.jpg
72 KB, 673x425
>>343150670
yeah kinda sucks he hasd to rush it to make it before he died. but still nice to see. also check out this.
watch to the end https://youtu.be/sgRe79q2tzo?t=6m23s
>>
>>343150670
From the wiki page
Preston had been born with congenital heart disease, and throughout his life has had to been hospitalized to deal with digestive and immune-system issues relating to this condition.[5] While in college, Preston had used the mediums of painting and film to illustration his experience with his frail health and near-death conditions into art.

What I want to know is where is my vita port? I'm saving additional playthroughs a for it. Haven't done ng+ because of it.
>>
>>343141327
i could have gotten used to the controls but i couldnt get past the shitty jarring abstract pixel art style
just looks shitty and vague to me
>>
>>343151097
>the dev did say that somewhere down the line like 6-8 months after release they will be upgrading the engine to 60 fps

Well shit OP here, if that is true I will give it another go on NG+ when it comes out. This game would be 10/10 for me if the framerate was consistent. I wrote a negative review for the game on Steam but if this fabled update is true I will try it again.
>>
>>343151257

Kills me every time. I just figured he was transported there by her, ya know? That he had done his job and slouched onto the floor for a break. Not healed and all, but still not 100% dead either.
>>
File: 1463286850243.jpg (76 KB, 691x416) Image search: [Google]
1463286850243.jpg
76 KB, 691x416
>>343151590
yeah dev said that itd take a long time to do it but he will do it
>>
>>343149083
Momodora's awesome, Axiom's great, Salt's good, and Shantae and Strider are just okay. You could do worse.
>>
>>343147026
Another linux using here. I had zero framerate issues on my old linux PC, no dedicated gpu.
2520m i5 though
>>
>>343153132
my x220 nigga
>>
>>343153375
It was an x220t, good guess.
>>
File: evs.png (698 KB, 719x547) Image search: [Google]
evs.png
698 KB, 719x547
>>
>>343153492
nice, same here.
I don't suppose you are also using arch and have a PS3 controller lying around? I can't figure out why mine isn't working for the life of me.
The main problem is, I remember working to disable desktop usage back when it still worked, but I don't have the file that I should if I did it the way the wiki says to. I'm running out of options.
>>
File: 1467171040554.jpg (12 KB, 165x204) Image search: [Google]
1467171040554.jpg
12 KB, 165x204
Game was nice. Too expensive and too short. I wanted more. Music was great, though not very memorable besides the main theme. Fuck if I know what the story was about though.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.