[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>5 million subs and rising What went so right?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: Final_Fantasy_XIV_box_art.jpg (99 KB, 260x367) Image search: [Google]
Final_Fantasy_XIV_box_art.jpg
99 KB, 260x367
>5 million subs and rising

What went so right?
>>
>>343140537
it's the only decent alternative to dying WoW
>>
>>343140537
Now how much are playing?

Having 10 gorillions of subs means nothing if close to nobody is playing.
>>
You know the game you posted isn't the one people are subbed to, right?
>>
What DID go right?

I don't get it. The game felt like your average modern MMO: boring, streamlined, generic as fuck WoW/Lineage 2 clone.

The only MMO's I've truly invested time in would be Guild Wars 1 and 2
>>
File: 1436228635708.gif (30 KB, 293x200) Image search: [Google]
1436228635708.gif
30 KB, 293x200
>5 million subs

>dead servers
>>
>>343140537
>square still unwilling to release DQX in the west
Fuck this gay earth. I would rather play DQX for the battle system.
>>
>>343140537
I didn't hit max level but my only complaint was the constant running back and forth to that port town for that group that the main story revolved around.

Otherwise it was pretty fun
>>
>>343140965
>Lineage 2 clone.
I fucking wish we had a decent Lineage 2 clone out there.
>>
>>343140993
People sub when there's new content and unsub when they finish said content. It's like this is your first mmo or something.
>>
>>343141251

Everysingle Korean MMO that has ever been released have been a knock-off of Lineage 2. everything from classes, races, lore, graphics, and art style. it's like they have no originality
>>
>>343141331
No, that's how MMOs with little depth and easy content work. FFXI kept you interested long after expansion release.
>>
>>343141667
Riiight buddy. Whatever you say.
>>
>>343141391
What I remember from L2 was an enormous world, autistic amounts of party grinding, and castle sieges that made my dick rock hard.

What I get from korean MMOs with the exception of Ragnarok have been attempts at copying WoW's theme park style or something promising a "true sandbox" that gets botched and slapped in the dick with a cash shop for broken game.
>>
>>343141109
If you never made it to the end of ARRs story know that it gets so much worse until you get to heavensward
>>
>>343141794
>WoW refugee detected
>>
>>343140672
Look at this cursed soul who feel from the word of mouth.
>>
>>343140680
I don't think they care if no one plays. 10 gorrilian subs means they have 150 gorrillian dollars a month. That means everything
>>
>>343140537
Catgirls.
>>
File: 1464302845844.jpg (59 KB, 655x527) Image search: [Google]
1464302845844.jpg
59 KB, 655x527
you forgot the part where FFXI, FFXIV and DQX combined have less than 1 million active players
>>
I don't get how people can like it. From the 2.5 second global cooldown, to the worst PVP ever in an MMO, to the antisocial community, to the worst leveling experience of any MMO, to the story not having fun/good segments until endgame, to the terrible dungeon designs.
>>
>>343140672
I think part of the problem with modern day MMO's is not from gameplay itself but a much broader problem. We're all so inter-connected nowadays that each connection is less important because of how easily accessible it is WoW was during a time period when we weren't as connected and it refined all the problems with previous MMO's; so you felt so happy to be connected and have other problems reduced. Before then, you were just happy to be connected. I remember speaking with my best friend in middle school on how happy we were for FFXI and how we could play on the same server together. It was the importance of connection, besides all the eye-candy of the game and gameplay, that really made us create love for the game.

We live in a different time period now. I don't know what needs to happen but it needs to accommodate for where we're at to be successful.
>>
>>343142004
They don't get dick if players sub for a month, finish the new content and then unsub.
>>
>>343142018
Nigga wat

14 alone has way more than 1 mil subs
>>
>>343141251
Lineage 2 was a god-tier mmo. One of the absolute best.
>>
>>343142489
>active players
>>
>>343142623
Unless you mean active players must play every single day, then yeah, easily.
>>
>>343142180
> Terrible dungeon designs

My nigga ffxiv has the best dungeons in Final Fantasy.

And tons of boss fights are fun as shit. Ozma is the best damn jrpg boss I've fought this gen.
>>
>>343142327
good point/post.
>>
>>343142892
Damn shame a new player won't see the good stuff for weeks
>>
>>343142384
If 2 million extra players sub for 15 dollars each for one month I'm pretty sure that's going to cover the cost of making an update. If you're talking expansions then that's an extra 50 dollars from probably 80% of the player base (more than 2 mil)

If they only retain 30% of that then I'm sure they're peachy
>>
Anyone in this thread trying to understand why people like MMO's? I never really got the appeal of them. I sometimes try to understand the appeal by looking at threads on them but I just don't get it.
>>
>>343143571
Personally for me it's fluid co-op in an open world game and virtual economy. That's it.

PvP is a small bonus, but socializing was never my thing. The constant and relatively fast updates are how I justify my sub, not the privelege of playing with other people
>>
File: q51tEAF.jpg (192 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
q51tEAF.jpg
192 KB, 1280x720
Anyone here finished off the moogle tribe quests?
Today is the earliest you can hit rank 7. What are the rewards, and is there a rank 8?
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.