[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
dont be a thief roll as a pirate, or so says this dev http:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8
File: dontbeathief[1].png (74 KB, 744x496) Image search: [Google]
dontbeathief[1].png
74 KB, 744x496
dont be a thief

roll as a pirate, or so says this dev http://www.fortressofdoors.com/g2a-piracy-and-the-four-currencies/
>>
>>343102225
pastebin
>>
How is g2a theft? I'm not clicking some clickbait link.
>>
>>343102790
Sellers often buy keys with fake credit cards or do chargebacks, then proceed to sell said keys for a profit. If you buy from one of these sellers, then you're basicall paying for someone else to pirate the game and give it to you.
>>
File: 1430059182257.png (121 KB, 309x300) Image search: [Google]
1430059182257.png
121 KB, 309x300
>>343102225
>developer doesn't want his games to be sold for a low price
No surprise there, lmao.

G2A/Gray market resellers are pro consumer
Official resellers are pro developer

take your pick.
>>
Kind of ironic when people who bitched about lost sales due to piracy literally lose their sales due to chargebacks.
>>
>>343103124
so basically what we used to do when we were underage and brough pirated copies , but since now everything digital now its like owning a real copy
>>
>>343102225
fuck the devs. I'll never stop using it since it's the only key seller offering non-region locked keys. humble shitble and green shit gaming all sell locked keys in my country so fuck them
>>
>>343102225
But I already pirate everything that I'm not interested on playing online, of course if I want to play the MP I'll buy it for cheap to resellers
>>
>>343103124
well if it's in my steam library i don't care :D
>>
>>343103995
what if it gets removed from your steam library

shit happened to me when sniper elite 3 keys got revoked
>>
>>343103535
No, thats the equivalent to regular piracy, this is actually transferring money away from the developers and you.
>>
>>343104258
suck to be you. have been using it for like 3 years now and never had a single prablem
>>
>>343102225
But pirates ARE theives.
>>
But I really want games on my steam account and I don't want to give money to jews.
>>
>>343103264
>enjoy games that developer does
>buy them from grey market site
>chargebacks cost money to developer
>developer goes defunct, games you enjoy are no longer being made
Are you some sort of masochist?
>>
>>343104397
>(You)
>>
>>343104489
Most of time devs aren't jews, it's the publishers or marketplace owners.
>>
>>343104397
>bait
but oh well
A copy of a game is just that a copy.
A CD-key is an actual product that gets consumed.
>>
>>343104397
Beyond hypothetical lost sale, pirating a game doesn't actually harm developers.
Buying codes that were purchased with stolen credit cards results in chargebacks and causes actual monetary loss.
>>
File: 1450144894713.jpg (25 KB, 552x594) Image search: [Google]
1450144894713.jpg
25 KB, 552x594
>>343102225
>all G2A keys are bought with stolen credit cards

This is the dankest meme of all time.
>>
>>343104351
>prablem

Except for being a dickhead you're dumb too!
>>
Fuck DICE, going to but Cottonfield1 from G2A
>>
File: 1459663773838.jpg (60 KB, 530x600) Image search: [Google]
1459663773838.jpg
60 KB, 530x600
>>343107334
>Cottonfield1
>>
>>343104397

If I wasn't ever going to buy the game in the first place, ever; then the developers haven't lost any money right?

Since I'm not agreeing to any license bullshit then I can hide behind Fair Use or 7 proxies.
>>
File: Steam brother scam.png (151 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
Steam brother scam.png
151 KB, 1600x900
>>343103995
>>343104351
>>
>>343103264
The reality is:
Steam is the only vendor because it is the only platform that matters. Uplay and Origin are used by virtually no one.
GoG is a very distant 2nd place, and they sell different games altogether that coincide from time to time, and even they understood that they Witcher 3 needed to be on Steam to get as much as the PC market as possible.

Pirates are gonna pirate.

Grey market is not really that popular to be a concern, in my case Steam is still cheaper, and Key sites are in deed cheaper but like a 33% at best, off the best price in white market or Steam....sometimes. This is only a pityful attempt to place a choke hold on grey markets, it reminds me of the old "You wouldn't download a car" ads.

Enabling piracy, a culture than needs no more incentives as it is, especially for indie games that are unprotected, is really, really retarded.
>>
>>343107872

Supply and Demand:

I demand to pay the cheapest price possible.

Or if possible, free.
>>
>>343105078
How do they even get the keys?
Besides the devs themselves need to have generated them, and Steam has further control over them.

Are they saying they do not have control over them, that they do no have a damned table to keep control over them? You can even create one in fucking paint if you need to, or with mere pen and paper.

TOP MOTHERFUCKING LEL.
>>
>>343107872

Indies are stupid. They want to compete in the market, they gotta play by the same rules as everybody else.

If they can't do it, they need to get the fuck out.

Indie videogame developers need about as much extra protection as garage bands and guys who resin cast their own miniatures in a living room somewhere.
>>
>>343108160

Russian/indian/some other shit country sells games for less than euro and dollar prices.

Some guy buys a bunch of keys when they're cheap.

They then sell the codes from their own store.
>>
>>343108160
Keys that aren't region locked getting bought up by Russians for cheaper because Russians are poor.

Just look at Russian Steam. A new game goes for like $20 American once you convert the currency.

People take advantage of this and then resell them.
>>
>>343108160

Keys are often legally obtained by exploiting currency differences. For example buying a game in Canada is $60 CAD. If you're American, that's only $45 USD. You buy the game from Canada and then sell it at a mark up of $50 or so, thus making a profit.

Much larger profits can be made with this method by using garbage or unstable currencies to buy, and then sell for a powerful currency.
>>
>if I paid money for it then it's legal!!!
anti-pirate fags are the worst human beings on earth. they pay for stolen CD keys and shit like used games which hurts developers far more. kill yourselves you pathetic faggots
>>
>>343108475

They can't pay for good copyright protection and even if they tried, it'd be cracked same day.

God Bless America
>>
>>343108475
If people want a refund before 2 hours are up you have probably made a bad game.
>>
>>343108745

Those margins are too low, you'd need to buy in bulk to see a return that's worth my time.
>>
>>343102225
>So you just saved $10 by buying a game from G2A, but now your key's been revoked and you have nothing. Now G2A has defrauded you too! And no, they won't refund your money. ...Unless you pay for G2A shield!

And you can just chargeback your G2A purchase as well. That whole point is completely retarded.

Scammer purchase key with stolen CC > Sell it on G2A > you buy the key > stolen CC owner issue a chargeback > your key gets cancelled > you issue a chargeback.

In the end, the only loser is G2A. The scammer will still have their money (not sure how G2A is paying their resellers, but properly in ways that cannot be reversed). You get your money back. G2A shield and such BS are unnecessary when your bank is already covering your online purchases better.
>>
>>343103264

Not really, it fucks up people that buy for cheap due to taxations, like people in Latin America and Russia.

Since they exploit low prices due to regions, that forces devs to up the price in all regions, making them sell less in the long run and people in other countries can't buy at all.
>>
>>343108475
>showing a graph with literally no reference points

Retarded as fuck
>>
>>343108026
That's not what demand means you mong
>>
>>343108026
That is granted, what I am saying is that Steam is the sovereign leader of PC town, if a game is not there it might as well never exist. There is no other option for a white market, hence, there are not competitive prices among vendors, except maybe Amazon.

Pirates are really hard to persuade for some reason or the other. It is a market that is really hard to win over.

Going after people who buy from the grey market is retarded, because those keys were paid for one way or the other. It is actually more retarded than that time when Publishers stated that people who purchased used games were worse than pirates.

The absolute truth is that pirates are still the worst market, and using them as allegories is flat out retarded, because it implies people frown over piracy, when it could not be further from the truth. Telling people that is better for them to flatout use torrents than G2A, well that sounds more like advice to me.

For PC gamers, the general feel is something like "we are doing you a favor when we buy your product, because we could just play it for free". Gabe Newell stated that the only way to beat piracy is to offer a better service, that is in fact true, make people feel they are getting their money's worth.

This is something only a PR retard, whose only knowledge of the world comes Social media, could cook up.
>>
>>343108914
Mother fucking this.
Not to mention they are paying costumers. They might even have a larger supply of keys for a single game, than the real demand for the game. It is pretty easy to shoot yourself in the foot with this.

>>343108627
Then they well know what is going on, the hypocrites could just stop selling keys. Basically they want to sell the keys but they do not want to compete with themselves.

What a bunch of smartasses.
>>
>really wanted to play Wasteland 2
>40 bucks on Steam
>"fuck that"
>go on g2a and find it for 6 dollars
>buy it
>guy sends me a duplicate code
>get a refund from g2a because of it

wow such a horrible business
>>
>>343109191
>because those keys were paid for one way or the other.
The issue is when those keys aren't paid for because of the chargebacks from stolen credit cards. In those cases, the credit card company actually charge the key seller a chargeback fee.
>>
>>343103124
Devs still get money one way or another

Also streamers are sponsored by them, so they have some sort of authenticity.
>>
>>343102790
G2a allows me to sell keys of duplicate games I get through bundles and other keys that otherwise would be rotting. I paid for those and at least I can get a little back for them. How does that make me a thief?

The real thieves are the developers who charge you 60 for dlc ridden games so if I an save a little money through a key seller than you bet your ass I'm going to do it.
>>
>>343109085
It is meant to be manipulative, but retarded is the word.
>Look at that, I have earned less money now that people can refund the game after finding out is shit, boy am I in trouble now.

What was he thinking?
>>
>>343109678
>The issue is when those keys aren't paid for because of the chargebacks from stolen credit cards.

That is really on them, they could just make a pre-sell for the keys, so the person or company that made the purchase receives the product by the time the game is close to release, giving them enough time to the publishers to make sure that the payment was legit, and enough time for the reseller to sell the keys. Other conditions could be worked into it.

B- Just cancel the keys if they payment was not met. Simple as that, just organize the keys by order, and customer.

I know first hand experience that this CAN be done. I understand why they would like to go after the consumer, but this is a situation they can fix themselves without a shitty campaign.
>>
File: 1461029059644.jpg (33 KB, 319x388) Image search: [Google]
1461029059644.jpg
33 KB, 319x388
>>343102225
>check out TB's "rant"
>he tears into G2A but in the same breath shills some other key reseller he's no doubt taking money from
>>
There are ways to scam G2A. Look up G2A refund service
>>
>>343109770
You would be just a small time seller in that case - without verified title, that indeed people could buy from but I would never.

Just buy from trusted sellers with decent prices and thousands of sells.

Also understand that their cheap price comes from bulk buying.
>>
>>343111012

All I see are a bunch of people selling their service to get the game refunded to you. But what are they actually doing?
>>
>>343110602
I feel there's a disconnect going on here. Chargebacks actually cost money for whoever has to deal with them. You don't just receive money back, there's processing fees involved. In singular cases it's not really big of a deal, but most people making bank on G2A are buying hundreds or thousands of games with stolen credit cards, and fees from those add up fast.
Sure, the companies can cancel the keys, but most don't because when they are activated the damage has already been done.

In the past many smaller publishers used to offer complimentary Steam keys when copies were purchased from their site, but fraudulent purchases forced them to stop that. And after they stopped offering the Steam keys large-scale frauds stopped, which goes to show that people were only interested in getting keys to resell, and not actually stealing the games.
>>
>>343111312

>buy game and pay to get g2a shield
>activate game with a vpn
>go to g2a live chat and tell them the key you got is duped
>they'll refund you the amount but as a g2a wallet I think

I'm not an expert but I think thats the gist of it
>>
>>343111828
Another problem is that if you're dealing in material that is deemed risque, frequent chargebacks risk you losing your payment processor.
This actually happened with MangaGamer and Sekai Project, who sell 18+ eroge in addition to all-ages visual novels. I think they both had to go several weeks with nobody being able to buy anything from their main sites.
>>
File: 1384123504739.png (651 KB, 632x583) Image search: [Google]
1384123504739.png
651 KB, 632x583
>another indies astroturfing against g2a episode

no thanks. ill use g2a.
>>
>>343112878
The reason you see indies complaining about this is because it affects them most. Big publishers get their income from elsewhere, so while their games are also bought on G2A, it's on relatively much smaller scale than what indies experience.
>>
>>343109754
Are you fucking retarded? The developer LOSES money when a chargeback happens. Even if he revoked the keys, there's still a huge amount of damage done.

Streamers don't give a fuck if the site is shady as long as they are getting paid.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.