[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do I need to have played the first 4 Star Oceans to properly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
Do I need to have played the first 4 Star Oceans to properly experience V? I've played the first on PSP and thought it was ok/mediocre, I own the second for PSP as well and am aware it is "the good one". I know 3 is supposed to have one of the dumbest plot twists in video games and I know 4 is infamous of the English VA, but the combat is supposed to be alright. With the rough reviews for V I'm considering shelving it until the day I play them all, and picking up Tokyo Mirage Sessions instead. Is it worth it for me to play V now or do I wait the inevitable years for me to come back to it?
>>
>>343089137
Wait for it to get cheap. It will be 3.99 like Omega Quintet in no time
>>
>>343089429
I already own it

I'm a massive collectorfag so I have problems buying games immediately despite quality. Mighty Number 9 might be the first time in years I've waited to buy a game used because I didn't want to support the dev
>>
>>343089137
You'll be fine. Only the first 2 SO are tied together.
>>
>>343090226
Cool. I think I saw the time gate thing from 1 in a trailer so I wasn't sure how many references there were. I doubt enough to make an impact but it was something I've been thinking about. V is supposed to be pretty short too right? Around 30 hours?
>>
>>343090524
Time Gate is just 1 of those things in every game. It's like 30 to do the story and 65 to do everything.
>>
>>343090969
Thanks for the help, I'll probably play through the story this week after all
>>
>>343089137
V is utter trash. Instead of playing a hodgepodge of bullshit, just emulate SO1 and 2 PSP versions, and emulate SO3. skip SO4 and 5, both are fucking trash gameplay wise which is the only metric that matters with SO.
>>
IaF is set between 2 and 3 but I don't think you need to know their stories
>>
>>343091464
have you played SOV?
>>
>>343091464
Why is it trash? Gameplay wise that is
>>
>>343091546
>>343091565
haven't played it, gameplay is up on YT everywhere. seven party members means you will never lose against anything except bosses. almost every single battle skill is literally copypasted from 3 or 4. battles often divulge into literal white screens because the game prioritises flash over substance. you cannot limit party sizes except arbitrarily. bosses cannot be staggered, so it becomes a battle of smash whatever your strongest skill is. frequent cutscene interruptions thanks to the shitty rush mechanic that was reintroduced from 4. fuck 5.
>>
>>343092004
>means you will never lose against anything except bosses
every turn based JRPG has this problem. hence the GRIND

But everythign else makes me wary, thanks for bringing it to my attention.
>>
>>343092004
The big party was something I was excited about for 5, I thought it was a neat idea that I wanted to try out. Hearing that bosses don't stagger sounds shitty though. My expectations are pretty low to begin with though, and as a massive Talesfag I'm not expecting it to be nearly as good. What's the rush mechanic though? As I said I've only played 1
>>
>>343092285
if you absolutely have to get it because it's SO (I was the same way with 4), just wait til it goes on sale in a few weeks. otherwise watch gameplay and judge from that, maybe see if a store has a demo unit or a friend lets you borrow ro something.
>>
>Cutscenes

This is how you can tell no one has played the game.
>>
>>343092418
rush comes in the form of this game as letting you launch a powerful attack with a huge multiplier. if you played SO3, you probably remember Ethereal Blast. killer fucking battle skill with retard startup time. well it's back, literally copypasted, in this game as a rush skill. does retard damage but because it's a cutscene, there is no startup time. and you will be abusing this to defeat endgame and post game bosses.

it's actually the only way to do it, becuase as i said you can't stagger bosses which means good luck NOT abusing the game.
>>
so here i post an example, ethereal queen, a post game boss so there is no story spoiler (not that the game actually has a story to begin with, but it's SO like I said only gameplay matters).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNgVcssKOqw

look at what he does. this is fucking retarded. aggro the boss with a tank and just smash whatever has highest DPS. no thinking. revive your tank over and over, no planning, no juggling, nothing. this game is a fucking joke.
>>
>>343092639
So it's like a super attack that can be abused and triggers a cutscene? Can't I just not use/abuse it if it's that lame? Is the balancing that bad that I have to rely on it for bosses?

That is shitty
>>
>>343092639
>rush comes in the form of this game as letting you launch a powerful attack with a huge multiplier. if you played SO3, you probably remember Ethereal Blast. killer fucking battle skill with retard startup time. well it's back, literally copypasted, in this game as a rush skill. does retard damage but because it's a cutscene, there is no startup time. and you will be abusing this to defeat endgame and post game bosses.
so every JRPG ever?
>>
>>343092882
the gameplay just looks like it suffers from MMO syndrome and every JRPG that has AI controlled party members.

You're either the tank that attacks, and keeps your other idiots alive, or like what that guy is doing and standing around healing and shooting.

Looks like Tales. I'll try it out, it's only going to be 30 bucks when it's on sale.
>>
>>343092890
you COULD choose not to abuse it if you like to, but you'll be fucked half the time unless you're really good.
>>343092910
whether this applies to other JRPGs I wouldn't know, i'm only talking in the realm of SO here, but it wasn't like this in SO3 and it wasn't like this in Second Evolution either. haven't played first departure in forrever, I cannot remember what it was like.
>>
>>343092882
That does look bad actually. Way more passive than Tales too

Fuck now I'm bummed out
>>
>>343089137
>I'm considering shelving it until the day I play them all
That could take months or years if you get sidetracked constantly by other games.
I think Star Ocean 3 was possibly one of the longest games on the PS2.
>>
>>343093420
like i said just wait if you absolutely have to get it. i am not saying to get it or not get it, just don't get it at full price. really good chance you'll be disappointed. i prefer you to be disappointed for cheaper than for more expensive.
>>
File: 1448085605226.gif (786 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
1448085605226.gif
786 KB, 800x450
>>343093620
I already have a massive backlog as it is. That's why I said it would inevitably be years. As soon as I finish this Kingdom Hearts 2 platinum I think I'm gonna jump into Final Fantasy 6 for the fist time

>>343093721
I already bought it for $50 from Amazon instead of #FE, somehow I made the wrong bet and now I'm feeling it
>>
Oh wow look, you can't even die if you have autoitem equiped, you literally spam attacks with no skill whatsoever and then just kill her with ultimates, note this is suppoed to be the END END boss of the game, the ultimte challenge :^)

https://youtu.be/peAtgFCT8GM
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.