[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok, be real with me guys. I just bought this game on a whim
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 9
File: coverundertale.png (357 KB, 810x608) Image search: [Google]
coverundertale.png
357 KB, 810x608
Ok, be real with me guys.

I just bought this game on a whim and played through the whole thing in one day. It was fun but everyone here says it's shit. The game mechanics are awesome and innovative; I genuinely had fun and felt rewarded doing a no-kill run. Played a lot with mechanics you might take for granted in a game.

HOWEVER, this game is tumblr-y as fuck and some of the enemy designs are really shit. Some dialogue is really awkward but characters tend to be well-written for the most part. I think maybe it tried too hard to be Earthbound, but it's easily one of the most fun games I've played in a while. the ending is really fucking trippy too, as a bonus.

Anyone here agree with me?
>inb4 tumblrtale lol gtfo underage b&
>>
tumblrtale lol gtfo underage b&
>>
>>343047002
>quick! someone agree with me so l can justify having my opinion!
>>
Get ready to get steam rolled by people saying the game is shit because the fanbase is shit.
>>
>>343047002
Fun game. All I need
>>
>>343047095
>Hi I'm anon and I don't have a real opinion

>>343047115
I'm prepared. Its why this thread is at 3 AM, I just finished the game and stayed away from that creepy fan base.
>>
>>343047002
an undertale is an undertale
you can't say it's only a half
>>
>talk
>nothing happens
>talk
>nothing happens
>talk
>nothing happens
>talk
>nothing happens
>talk
>suddenly something happens and I win

? ? ?
I stopped playing after meeting Undyne for first time
>>
>>343047002
You clearly aren't from this site or you wouldn't be namefagging
And its not innovative it just mashed bullet hells, rpgs, and the negotiations from SMT.
Sure mashing up genres could be considered innovation but it isn't really its just standing on the shoulders of others.
However considering it was done by one guy it is a pretty amazing game with god tier music. Its a solid 8/10 at least.
>>
>>343047367
Did she trigger you? Poor baby!
>>
>>343047507
I have adhd and need a game that engages me
i dig the ost though
>>
Your opinion is yours and whatever, but tell me how the game is innovative.
>>
Its a neat litte game with a moving story told with a voice of modern youth pop culture, a simple yet engrossing combat system, keeps the player entertained with the world by alot of little conversations throughout the game. Its a solid game in my opinion but the fanbase is cancerous, the pixel art is an obvious flaw but is easily overlooked by calling it 'retro', game is short but manages to give some replayability to compensate, music is nice. I honestly think its an above average game that did what it went out to do well
>>
>>343047367
Nah dude I get it, fair point. I appreciated how the bullet hell thingies kinda changed with different dialogue options tho, it's what kept me engaged.

>>343047507
I've been framed
>>
File: 1466917917921.jpg (24 KB, 176x247) Image search: [Google]
1466917917921.jpg
24 KB, 176x247
true reset my game because i read that flowey gives you a hint on how to access the "true ending" if spared.but i had already beaten photoshop once and i dont think you can fight it again without reseting
>>
>>343047002
>The game mechanics are awesome and innovative
You've never played a bullet hell game before?
>>
>>343047367
>Every enemy is basically a puzzle to mercy
>Some idiot will always post this b8 claiming they are too stupid to understand basic concepts
Seriously?
>>
>>343047689
It's innovative by making both combat and peaceful negotiations engaging and fun via a bullet-hell type thing. Plays with fundamental video game features in a fresh way that not many other games do. Beyond that, not much, but it's not much more than that anyways.
>>
>>343047898
not that non but

its not really engaging though
its going through dialogue until the enemy is defeated

i love the game but surely you can understand where people are coming from
>>
>>343047002
It's fun, but the fanbase is all tumblrfaggots and /v/ hates it solely for that fact.

The greatest game ever could be released tomorrow, but if tumblr picks up on it, /v/ will shit on it to no end and claim it's cancer incarnate.
>>
File: 1437209185041.png (306 KB, 679x500) Image search: [Google]
1437209185041.png
306 KB, 679x500
>tfw when hiding another underfail thread
Mmm.. like smothering a retarded lamb with a pillow.
>>
>>343047789
Man, I'm not sure. I just did the pacifist run stuff for my first run then spared Flowey. Sucks thst you reset your gamr though since all you had to do was reload from the boss room then go back to Snowdin to start the post game. That is, if you were pavifist.
>>
>>343047002
>only thing I know ahout Undertale is that it has a bullet hell mechanic for fighting
>fuck yeah this sounds cool as fuck
>start playing
>easy shit
>99% of the game is this unless you purposely spend hours grinding out random encounters
I thought it was okay but that "NO YOU ARE REALLY THE BAD GUY" end was shit and I learned afterwards that I fucked up having any ending other than the main because I killed the goat woman and then didn't proceed to kill literally everything else.
Whichever anon described the game as "bullet hell" to me needs to rethink things.
>>
>>343048129
Post more Etna.
>>
>>343048161
It's a bullet hell for babies, really, besides photoshop flowey
>>
>>343047367
eh, this is why i couldn't get into it either
that and the fanbase
>>
>>343048040
Im not sure what you mean by engaging, it's definitely more engaging than most low level turn based RPGs.
The idea isn't just to click through dialogue and pray, it's a puzzle game with bullet hell intermissions. It's like calling Layton puzzles not-engaging because if its multiple choice you can just try every answer until you get the right one.
>>
>>343048663
>It's like calling Layton puzzles not-engaging because if its multiple choice you can just try every answer until you get the right one.
Not really, but okay.
>>
File: 1460416297200.png (2 MB, 1174x1762) Image search: [Google]
1460416297200.png
2 MB, 1174x1762
I stopped playing after my brother told me that even if I start a new game, if I killed things, it would still member my choices. what the fuck is that bullshit? when I click new game I want a clean fucking slate
>>
File: 430329874920.jpg (15 KB, 204x312) Image search: [Google]
430329874920.jpg
15 KB, 204x312
>>343047002
>The game mechanics are awesome and innovative
You mean the entire system of communicating with monsters that was stolen straight from fucking SMT? I liked the bullet hell style attack dodging but it is ridiculously under used
>>
>>343048819
Nice rebuttal, chew you havisfaction a singlelicious satisfact to snack that up?
>>
>>343049004
What are you even saying to me right now?
>>
no dude listen to /v/ it's total shit

also never have sex it's so overrated and at 30 years old you'll turn into a wizard

always listen to /v/
>>
>>343048994
you know there's an easy way to do that, right?
please tell me you're not completely retarded
>>
>>343049190
it's an epic meme :DD
>>
http://pastebin.com/f31AJx4J

It's because you have no standards.
>>
>>343049409
Ah, okay.
>>
>>343049474
>by Anonymous
who?
>>
File: mr dad guy.jpg (594 KB, 1399x1389) Image search: [Google]
mr dad guy.jpg
594 KB, 1399x1389
>>343047002
genuinely decent game
shit fanbase
play LISA
>>
>>343048994
you miss the point of the story and are a stupid fucking kid
>>
>>343051141
>stupid fricking kid

Fixed that for you. This is a Christian imageboard, please conduct yourself as such.
>>
>>343048994
i thought it was great, and the only choices that get remembered don't affect the gameplay or your endings at all
the only thing you'd be missing is "what would they say if i made the second choice" but instead of being stuck with the first scenario, you're brought to a third scenario where you pick a choice and restart, if i'm making sense. so i thought that was cool
>>
Most people hold the same opinion as you do.

Dumbasses will meme about it because they were blinded by its fandom, and other dumbasses will call it "the best game of the decade". Both are retards, it's just a pretty good game that's only still relevant because of its following, which it achieved through emotional appeal and targeting a crowd that's vocal on the internet. It honestly shouldn't be remembered this far on, but the cancerous fandom keeps pushing it while better games have been forgotten sooner.
>>
dumb tumblrtale poster
>>
File: 1453577294563.png (450 KB, 491x565) Image search: [Google]
1453577294563.png
450 KB, 491x565
>>343048047
>but if tumblr picks up on it, /v/ will shit on it to no end and claim it's cancer incarnate

so just about any game that becomes popular
>>
>>343048994
The point of the story's to be meta with you loading saves. Characters react differently, and will even call you out for not doing it correctly the first time. It doesn't lock you out of anything, but it's honestly pretty interesting.
>>
>>343049543
That image legitimately made me consider killing myself. Thanks, see you guys in Hell.
>>
>>343047898
Was it ever hard to find out the dialogue options? The only one which might have stumped people would have been the Undyne one where you have to run, but really, which dialogue you have to use is obvious as fuck each time. It's insulting calling it a puzzle.
>>
I pirated it and beat in in 2 days.

It was meh, didn't see the hype and the characters were weird at best

I absolutely fucking hate toriel and alphys though, there is absolutely zero excuse for the amount of fucking unskippable dialogue they have.

and the part before you kill asgore where they literally stop you from walking every 2 seconds to tell you some stupid gay story was so annoying I almost quit playing it entirely as a whole.

7/10 game with a fnaf+mlp/10
>>
File: utg.png (2 MB, 1120x3577) Image search: [Google]
utg.png
2 MB, 1120x3577
LOL
>>
File: 1377183860255.gif (910 KB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
1377183860255.gif
910 KB, 250x188
>>343047002
>namefag
>paid and likes tumblrtale
>innovative
3/10
Made me reply.
>>
I'm 1 hour in and the only cool character is the skeleton bro. Everything else is like written by a middle schooler
>>
It was fun. It wasn't groundbreaking.

I think half the hate /v/ has for this game is people treating it like the best thing to ever happen to gaming. It wasn't. It was just another fun little game that got blown way out of proportion.

The rest of the hate comes from the fact that Tumblr likes it, but that's just part of the lesson of the day. Always listen to /v/ until someone mentions a buzzword.
>>
>>343052080
forgot to add fandom the last part, sorry.

also, definitely not worth the 10$ at all, I don't care about the silly secrets and 2 other gay endings
( why can't I just kill asriel? why can't I just kill chara? ) it's far too short for the money
>>
Despite the fact that I did like it, I can only find myself going back to play it for it's genocide route. Doesn't have a whole lot of replayability other than different endings. Bullet 'hell' was an interesting add but crazy easy except for Sans. (Kind of)
Also I found the pacifist route so fucking cheesy and obnoxious, especially at the end.

>>343051859
It's a never ending cycle, anon.
>>
>>343051747
>while better games have been forgotten sooner

Games like what? I'd love to play them.
>>
if you like this game then you should kill yourself
>>
>>343047002
Yeah, /v/ doesn't actually dislike the game for any REAL reasons, in fact it was pretty much loved by most people in the first few weeks of it being out.

And then it got popular. So now /v/ hates it.
>>
>>343047002
Meh.

The game is a prime example of "Good game but cancer community". Anyone who talks about it is straight of the bat cancer Same applies to you OP. Namefagging is cancerous. At least you're not a tripfag or an enourmous faggot. I hate everyone who changes his Steam name to "Asriel Dreemur" or "Frisk" or whatever, you get the picture. Those people just deserve to be burned alive.

Now about THE GAME itself:

It's supposed to be "retro"-ish, taking a lot of input from Mother 3, which the developer stated himself, explaining the beyond ridiculous graphics (at least for nowadays standards). What made the game interesting was, that it isn't your average RPG, where you just run around slaughter things, but you can decide what you'll do, making you feel "regretful"
>inb4 feelings about virtual characters hurr
about killing certain NPCs, etc.
Hidden messages, different endings etc. add a certain replay value to it.

It's a good game, I can understand why lots of people say that this was their GOTY (although I don't exactly agree with everyone there).
>>
>>343047002
>but everyone here says it's shit.
yeah, NOW they do, in the demo stage this game was hyped as fuck and the first few weeks following it's release were generally positive, but you know what happened from there on, it blew up, gained a large fanbase, and it started catching the attention of shitposters, and so people shitposted this game into oblivion to the point where newfags and normies alike started to hate the game because they're fucking sheep, the type of people that use the words "cancer" and "cringe" in every sentence.
The game is pretty good, the people who would really enjoy this game and appreciate it are the people who have played games like Ib, OFF and Cave Story.

Anyway, the game would have been a lot better if it just focused on the three characters in the demo and keep the isolating atmosphere, I'm satisfied with the full game but I feel they had something special there with the demo.
>>
I honestly just wish there were more RPGs that give diplomatic options.
Undertale is the indie RPG second coming of Planescape Torment
>>
Shut the fuck up """"""""""""""Henry"""""""""""""
>>
>>343052905
False. Torment: Tides of Numenera is the second coming of Planescape: Torment

I personally am making a role-playing game where you are able to use speechcraft to influence your enemies in battle.
>>
>>343047002
>but everyone here says it's shit
That's because it reached forced meme status combined with having one of the most autistic fanbases that went from 0 to 100 almost overnight claiming how incredible it was.
>>
>>343053340
Let's wait until that game finally comes because the only Torment it's currently living up to is the Torment of Delays.
>>
>>343053789
We can only hope that inXile delivers...It's the first time I've actually had trust in a game developer.
>>
>>343047002
It's good. One of my favourite story games. You're pretty much done with it after you've done neutral, good and bad which takes 20~ hours or so so it's not the most replayable thing in the world but I had fun with it.
>>
>>343047002

It's probably the best game I've played this decade.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.