[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Video game related alternate realities >Nintendo rejects
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: latest[7].jpg (36 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
latest[7].jpg
36 KB, 640x360
ITT: Video game related alternate realities

>Nintendo rejects publishing id's SMB3 PC port like what actually happened
>id makes Commander Keen but doesn't abandon the IP when Doom is made
>at least one more Commander Keen game is made in the early 90s making use of advancing PC tech
>on top of releasing Quake in 1996 they also release a 3D Commander Keen platformer which competes with Super Mario 64
>it doesn't dominate SM64 or anything but it cements PC as a fine system for 3D platformers
>3rd party platformers from the mid 90s to the early 00s have PC versions as well
>3D platformers essentially die out on consoles still but they remain somewhat popular on PC still and id releases new CK games occasionally after 1996
>due to the extra success brought on by keeping Commander Keen alive id remains independent and isn't bought by Zenimax

Might help too if people who don't really want to bother coming up with things give ideas for situations that might lead to alternate things happening.
>>
>Gunpei Yori was never killed in a car accident
>He's kept on as creative consultant

Nintendo would not be state they're in if he were still alive
>>
>>343031708
What if every game company was motivated by the desire to entertain over gaining money?
>>
>The Hindenburg never cathches fire nad the Zeppelin landing platform on the Empire State Building is used regularly by commuters

Literally every alternate universe except ours.
>>
>>343032010
Was that the guy people were saying was killed by the yakuza?
>>
>>343032084
I don't think it would be very good. You can't just be one extreme or the other, you have to be somewhere in the middle for it to work the best.
>>
>>343033064
Considering I used the word "over" instead of "instead," I thought that it was implied that gaining money wasn't entirely removed from their motivations. I just meant that the scales would be further tipped in favor of actually making a decent game.
>>
Honestly, I'd just take a reality where Nintendo realizes the Wii was a one-time-only success with waggle and casuals, and they go back to making standard, no-gimmick consoles afterwards, toning down the emphasis on casual appeal.
Oh, and NoA doesn't go to shit.
>>
>Pete Hines dies in a car accident after the release of Morrowind
>Todd gives Kirkbride more creative control
>Cyrodiil is actually a jungle
>radiant AI remains, but most of the game's voice acting is taken out
>it retains Morrowind's overall gameplay, but with more polished animations and responsive combat
>Battlespire-esque expansion involving Remani spacestations
>>
>Looking Glass manages to survive
>makes Thief 3 on their new Siege Engine, which was in development when they went bankrupt
>continues making Thief games and other immersive sims (like System Shock 3), which creates a precedent for these games having an audience so they continue to flourish without being simplified
>is so successful they create their own publishing house and become independent
>after Bloodlines is a disaster Looking Glass saves Troika from bankruptcy and publishes their future games
>Looking Glass and Troika continue to make games into 2016 and beyond
>>
>>343035059
>instead of putting the project on hold, Activision allows Troika to continue polishing Bloodlines during the delay
>the game is considerably more polished, with more ways to circumvent the sewers and later combat encounters/dungeons
>some of the shittier models and animations receive a light retouch
>the game releases to an overall warm reception and becomes a respectable hit among the cRPG crowd
>Troika goes on to acquire the rights for Fallout and revives the Van Buren project
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.