[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think Japan will ever be the technological and critical
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6
File: ff7cg.jpg (153 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
ff7cg.jpg
153 KB, 800x600
Do you think Japan will ever be the technological and critical leaders of the videogame industry again?
>>
VR waifus are coming
>>
>>343031096
I hope not. They can't write a story for shit.
>>
>>343031225
And Western devs can?
>>
File: ffvii_3__before-8212507.jpg (93 KB, 606x406) Image search: [Google]
ffvii_3__before-8212507.jpg
93 KB, 606x406
>>343031096

They never were

Nice cg
>>
>technological and critical leaders
Oh please, FF7 didn't even have fucking textures, there was no excuse to have flat-shaded polygons at that point.
>>
>>343031493
Sure there was, the game is 60 hours long and is on 3 discs
>>
No

>Konami is dead
>Capcom needs console makers to fund and advertise their games
>Sega is simply releasing what they have to to survive and relying on western PC games
>Koei Tecmo, well actually they haven't changed much, but release less games
>Dido for Namco Bandai
>Square Enix can't get a game out and rely on western devs and f2p
>Nintendo conceded the tech route years ago and are preparing for the all mobile future

It's over. Japan will never have the hold over me or the rest of the young people in the Us the way it did in the late 90's and early 2000's when western game devs best work was still on PC and anime was new and exciting and just becoming widely available.
>>
>>343031639
Anon, the only reason the game is on 3 discs is because of the CG cutscenes
>>
>>343031491
What's wrong with their arms?

They could have saved a few polygons by making them tubes, and they would have looked like actual humans as well.
>>
>>343031096
Yes but they need to change.
>>
>>343031653
literally this
>>
Forget that I posted FF7 damn. The point is Japan still released the best looking console games with only Rare and Naughty dog coming close for most of the 90's.

Now even their best efforts just look, off. FFXIV and Scalebound had such bad looking demos at E3. Those giant boss fights definitely weren't the way to show off those games.
>>
>>343031653
>Koei Tecmo, well actually they haven't changed much, but release less games

Tecmo got shit. Well their NG games are all I cared for. Those games went to shit after they fired Itigaki. Koei can probably endlessly pump out musou games and stay afloat that way.
>>
>>343031653
The solution is simple. Buy good Japanese games and don't support "AAA" western studios. It's absurd how big these companies got with the shit they put out.
>>
>>343031309
Yes. Bioware are the best storytellers in the industry.
>>
>>343031096

V R W A I F U S

R

W

A

I

F

U

S
>>
>>343032418
This entirely

Those RPGs looked so try hard, it was a sad sight to see.
>>
>>343032464
Nobunga and Romance of the 3 kingdoms are still good.

Never cared for Dead or Alive outside of cheesecake.
>>
>>343031096
Who cares?

Midcore games > Indie and AAA shit
>>
>>343032629
(You)
>>
>>343031653
>Dido for Namco Bandai

If you mean the same, the word you're looking for is 'ditto'.
>>
File: latest[1].png (87 KB, 536x424) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
87 KB, 536x424
>>343031493
>Oh please, FF7 didn't even have fucking textures, there was no excuse to have flat-shaded polygons at that point.

Saves on CPU power. FF8 and FF9 have more detailed battle graphics, but also worse performance. FF9 hits single frames at times. And often times the monsters look muddier, and less impressive.

And, I think that FF7 monsters look the best. The whole game has an anime look. The monsters are supposed to look very stylized and cartoony. A modern version that kept this look would have a very cell shaded look.
>>
>>343032745
I do. How long do we have before Japanese console and dedicated handheld games are dead entirely? Japan's market for them keeps shrinking, the west just don't give a fuck.
>>
>>343032857
You seriously got butthurt over that? Are you 12?
>>
>>343033017
Like Blue Dragon.
>>
>>343033058
>How long do we have before Japanese console and dedicated handheld games are dead entirely?
It's already happened.
>the west just don't give a fuck.
and? you can't make them. It's not like Japan isn't at fault.

FF is an irrelevant laughing stock because Square Enix chose to take 5+ years to make FF12, 13 and 15 EACH. When back in our day, they made 7, 8, 9, 10 and Tactics in around 6 years, and that's not even including other IPs at the time like Xenogears.

They stopped putting out games at a regular pace. Not "the wests" fault.
>>
>>343033282
Please, tell me in what way, shape or form my original post implies that I was butt-hurt.

I'm not; it's just silly to think that BioWare is the best dev when it comes to story-telling. But it's alright anon, I still love you.
>>
Western games have been just as shitty as Japanese ones recently. Seriously don't kid yourself. If anything, Japanese games have been kicking up way more popularity these days.
>>
>>343033447
>FF is an irrelevant laughing stock because Square Enix chose to take 5+ years to make FF12, 13 and 15 EACH. When back in our day, they made 7, 8, 9, 10 and Tactics in around 6 years, and that's not even including other IPs at the time like Xenogears.

They also diluted the brand by making a million Final Fantasy spin off games. I long lost track of them all. None of them are special.

Square didn't know how to handle or tackle the AAA market or budgets. Their games were all j-rpgs or variations of them and it doesn't transition well. To make good games at that level you need 30+ million at least.
>>
>>343032629
with your earlier comments I thought you were serious, but now I know you're completely foolin' around.
>>
I blame the Japanese Publishers for going multiplatform and/or having unreliable release dates.

Sony realized that f they wanted to compete with Microsoft, they could no longer just rely on Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Capcom Fighters, Resident Evil and Tekken.

Grand Theft Auto 3 also landed a big fucking blow. I mean who would have thought the big mover for PS2 would be a western game?
>>
>>343033856

It's satire also helped. GTA's brutal commentary shaped the industry at large and you can't go by without some nasty quip about pop culture and political shit.

Japan? Still plays it straight with the checklist of things to mark down to cater to a smaller core audience who buys multiple copies for cheesecake pinups and a skimpy swimsuit
>>
>>343033667
The most popular Japanese game at E3 was a Zelda that is finally incorporating WRPG gameplay mechanics. I'm excited for that, but I mean Horizon Zero Dawn looked just as good if not better.

Maybe Persona 5 can make a dent.
>>
>>343031096
I have some hope that Monolith Soft and Silicon studios could become big Japanese devs in the future.
>>
>>343034181
What about Death Stranding, FF XV, and The Last Guardian? Those games also got a lot of attention during E3. Not to that Japanese devs were the ones that stole last year's E3.

In terms of Western games, Horizon and GoW4 were the only big things in this year's E3.
>>
>>343034991
No one knows what Death Stranding is
FFXV had a bad showing and an even worse VR experience
The few Last Guardian impressions I've seen say that the game is nice but still controls like a game that started development 10 years ago
Resident Evil VII had a good impression but then they ruined it by misleading people into searching for stuff in the demo that isn't there.

I'm scared for Japanese games. I thought MGS V would fix things but...
>>
>>343032629
I think you're the best fiction writer with that post there anon
>>
>>343033447
AAA games of today take longer to make than AAA games of 20+ years ago you stupid fuck.
>>
>>343035412
>FFXV had a bad showing
It had a bad stage showing only at MS, the trailer at Sony was well received despite the music choice and the VR was also well received in the trailer. Even if the actual VR was janky and only made because Sony begged SE to make it, only few press even got to try that. The Titan demo at the showfloor was well received by people who actually played it, citing improvements over both previous demos.

The other XV stuff shown during the next four days all was well received too and made up for the MS shit livestage demo.
>>
Japan still makes the best video games with slavs a close second

The rest of the western industry blow

Prove me wrong
you can't
>>
No, too little budget to get fully on board the open world meme train and a game being too Japanese is a death sentence if you want to get millions of international sales.
>>
File: 1463547552007.gif (4 MB, 298x150) Image search: [Google]
1463547552007.gif
4 MB, 298x150
>>343032629

I know you're trolling, but I can't believe you summoned the strength to even hit the post button with this amount of outrageous faggotry in one post.
>>
>>343036425
fuck off xv-kun the game is garbage.
>>
>>343038049
Ebin meme. Did you come up with it yourself?
>>
File: 1466347535947.png (470 KB, 1062x756) Image search: [Google]
1466347535947.png
470 KB, 1062x756
>>343034991
um.
>>
File: thingy-majiggy.png (345 KB, 771x1024) Image search: [Google]
thingy-majiggy.png
345 KB, 771x1024
>>343038597
There was also this one.
>>
>>343039189
Clearly not credible.
>>
>>343039327
Except it is.
>>
>>343039549
Clearly it isn't. It doesn't fall in line with the others and lists games twice.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.