[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
cRPG's Old and New
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: fallout overseer.gif (346 KB, 294x233) Image search: [Google]
fallout overseer.gif
346 KB, 294x233
looking for some good cRPGs or RPGs in general to pick up from the steam sale, I've played a number of the older classics but don;t know much about newer titles, only got Shadowrun: Dragonfall so far and wondering if Hong Kong is worth it as well?

also discuss any cRPG's
>>
>>343023881
I would recommend UnderRail or Planescape Torment

It's a dying genre though, what with people loving "open-world" games
>>
>>343024135
I have Planescape Torment and it is really great but I wish I could find newer games that come close to it even a little.

Wasteland was pretty mediocre if not shit which depresses me because I love Fallout and had high hopes
>>
Inquisitor was alright, though it's not Fallout 1/Baldur's Gate 2 tier good.

Also Hong Kong is worth it, get it.
>>
>>343024135
I've heard of Underrail but know nothing about it

what about Pillars of Eternity or Divinity: OA?
>>
>>343024920

Underrail is like a more cyberpunk, more in-depth Fallout 1/2 type game, it's bretty gud but kinda suffers from "certain builds not allowed" syndrome.

PoE is alright, it's basically BG2 but with more balance.

DivOS is kinda textwall-y, but the combat is good and the dialogue can be pretty entertaining at times, really has the Larian touch to it.
>>
Any of the Spiderweb Software games. They're really deep and well designed cRPGs done by one guy who's been making them since the 90s. Geneforge and Nethergate are amazing, but pretty old and can turn people away. The Avernum games are more recent, with 1 and 2 have been completely remade not long back. Similarly the Avadon games are really recent, with the third and final Avadon game coming out this fall.

You can get the whole pack of 13 games for $12 and they'll last you for ages. Every time someone asks for hidden gems, I tell them to pick up these games.
>>
File: 2015-01-13_00003.jpg (580 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-01-13_00003.jpg
580 KB, 1920x1080
Divinity Original Sin is only good with anoyher player. It's kinda boring and a drudge to do alone, whereas multiplayer with an inventive partner can lead to amusing setups, esp over VOIP. See pic for a boss on hard mode that we had to cheese with a brazier maze.

I'd recommend playing Legend of Grimrock 1/2. I had a lot of fun in those.
>>
Anyone here every play Darklands?

its such a great game that gets barely any attention
>>
Get Pillars of Eternity, Underrail and Shadowrun: Hong Kong

Divinity: Original Sin too if you don't mind a shitty RPG with an excellent combat system.
>>
Pillars is incredibly mediocre.
>>
>>343026886
>if you don't mind a shitty RPG with an excellent combat system.
I had the exact opposite experience my man. I thought the writing was really great but the combat was a little frustrating. Like why does it re-center after my archer shoots. Fuck that just makes me have to scroll over the target again. Or how targeting things is so fucking finicky I end up accidentally walking around enemies instead of attacking and wasting my AP

also Hong Kong is fucking great.
>>
>>343027258
I have no idea how you could enjoy Divinity's writing but I guess different folks and all that. Not only was the setting and writing completely generic, but the execution was really poor and overly "witty" (as in, trying to be funny and failing hard)
>>
>>343027338
I thought the writing was pretty charming, actually. I liked the tongue-and-cheek generic fantasy setting because they kept it light-hearted. I realize being self aware about shit doesn't completely make up for everything, but it went a long way for me.
>>
File: Untitled.png (139 KB, 644x482) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
139 KB, 644x482
>>343025303
I wouldn't say that it suffers from a certain builds not allowed, it's just that you need to specialize and can't be a jack of all trades
>>
>>343023881
Age of Decadence is half-off. It's like Roman Fallout. You'll die a bunch before you figure out the combat system and you need to learn right away that everyone is trying to fuck you.
>>
>>343027769
I definitely think certain builds aren't allowed, but I think that's more the fault of the GURPS system or whatever. Like you can't specialize in just outdoorsman and traps and expect to get far. They're p useless
>>
>>343027892
Age of Decadence is fucking awful.
I can forgive its garbage graphics and poor transitions, but the indie quality maps and map navigation, the boring, simplistic and repetitive combat system and the atrociously clunky interface I cannot stand.

It seriously plays like a game released in 1990 and I'm sorry, but that shit just doesn't fly. It took 7 years to develop and this was the best they could come up with, fucking embarrassing.

The writing may be excellent (I cannot confirm or deny, did not go far enough into it), but everything around is is awful. Pretty much every other CRPG released in the past three years is much better than that piece of shit.
>>
>>343023881
I'm currently playing Serpent in the Staglands and Underrail... too early for me to have an opinion about any of them, they seem to be my kinda game, but they are games that aren't newbie friendly. Age if Decadence is another one I want to check out soon, Pillars of Eternity also.
>>
>>343028034

Not all skills are always gonna be the most badass shit ever. Navigating the wilderness will never be equal to healing broken limbs or wielding weapons.
>>
>>343024319
I'm praying that Numenera tunes out good.
>>
>>343028424
Well yeah that was my point. It's not like I really have a problem with it but you can't say that it doesn't exclude certain builds
>>
>>343028034
you talking about underrail? cause there's no outdoorsman there and traps aren't a combat skill but it's good for any build

you basically want as much trap as it requires for the quick tinker skill and the rest is up to you, need a certain amount to get free traps or deploy certain traps
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.