[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the greatest example of video games as art? I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: jean-luc-godard.jpg (99 KB, 822x1023) Image search: [Google]
jean-luc-godard.jpg
99 KB, 822x1023
What is the greatest example of video games as art? I'm looking to play some masterpieces.
>>
This thread will surely be full of productive discussion and not inundated with shitposting and memes regarding what should and shouldn't be considered art and how art is defined within the realm of video games.
>>
super mario
>>
>>342946595
Undertale easily
>>
Uncharted 4
>>
as soon as video games started to be considered art we got shitty indie walking simulators
>>
Antichamber
>>
>>342946595
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
Okami
Shadow of the Colossus
ICO
Tetris
>>
Big Rigs
>>
>>342946595
mars matrix
>>
>>342947007
Don't forget Undertale
>>
>>342946837
I'm really looking for a multitude of answers. I recently finished the Uncharted series, and while I really enjoyed the whole thing, I felt like the story and characters were very generic. It was nothing I hadn't seen before. A game doesn't need to be conceptually unique or anything to still be fun of course, but I'm wondering if there's something a little more original out there. Does The Last of Us have a deeper story?

>>342946894
This is more what I mean. I didn't absolutely love this game, but I respect what it tried to do.
>>
>>342946595
Chrono trigger, blaster master on nes, parasite eve, warioland for virtual boy
>>
>>342947098
well yeah, Uncharted is your typical action flick from the 80s.
Haven't played TLoU, but everyone says it has a great story.
>>
>>342947270
TLoU has really bad gameplay, but the story is above average
>>
>>342946595

If video games are art, any video game is art. Therefore, you're just asking for a good game.

Otherwise you're just asking for a game that has good art in it, and I may ask you which type of art you prefer: graphics or music?

Dumb question either way.
>>
>>342947330
Story presentation is above average but in the end of the day it's just another post-apocalypse zombie crap.
>>
>>342946837
>every thread ever on nearly any board
I genuinely hate what 4chan has become.
>>
>>342947431
>If video games are art, any video game is art.
I don't know. Don't you think there's a difference between Final Fantasy VII and Pong?
>>
>>342946595
Shadow of the Colossus
>>
>>342946595
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
>>
>>342947431
He asked for a masterpiece not a painting of a soup can
>>
Dark Souls and it's awesome level design interweaved with its lore.
>>
>>342946595
Banner saga
>>
>>342946595

godard is a fucking hack

watch real film titans like bergman, tarkovsky, ray, dreyer fassbinder, etc.
>>
>>342947680
>ray
Which one? How patrician are you, mate?
>>
Shelter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzHU7p8SMvw
>>
Portal
The Witness
Limbo
Super Mario Brothers
Ocarina of Time
Banjo Kazooie
Doom
>>
>>342946595
Bioshock Infinite
>>
>>342947820
Those are just a bunch of games you like.
>>
>>342947786
satyajit ofc
>>
File: nicray3.jpg (15 KB, 240x300) Image search: [Google]
nicray3.jpg
15 KB, 240x300
>>342947943
wew lad
>>
>>342947680
>Takovsky
Solaris was garbo
But Stalker was fucking great
I don't know what to think of him
>>
>>342948018
The Mirror is pretty great. It's not a movie you can text during and still enjoy though.
>>
>>342947938
>DOOM's level design when pistol started
>SMB solidifying the concept of a platformer to this day
>Portal's unique use of 3d space
If you consider gameplay something that can be considered art then some of those games qualify. I consider gameplay art when it brings a new dynamic to the table or innovates on something to such an extent that it defines a certain style of gameplay. By gameplay I mean specifically how people interact with a game, not just a game being "good". Not the person you responded to though.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.