[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Darkest Dungeon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 10
File: header.jpg (58 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
58 KB, 460x215
So what does /v/ think of this game?
>>
>>342928009
looks great
sounds great
narrator is awesome
the gameplay is terrible

i would skip it
>>
>>342928009
literally RNG Simulator: The Game
>>
too RNG based
>>
>>342928009
it lures you with "it's hard but you can leave anytime! so it's not unfair!" but then kills 2 of your high level guys when you run away from the darkest dungeon

fuck that
>>
>>342928009
Amazing everything. the soundtrack is AMAZING. The sound design for this game is simply the best.
The gameplay itself is meh
>>
>>342928172
>looks great

It moves your typical cheap flash garbage, what's good about it?
>>
RNfuckyouG
>>
too hard for people so they blame the rng

see: /v/ and steam reviews
>>
>>342928009
I bought it yesterday on the steam sale.

Played it like 3 hours before having to take a bath and go to bed(in work atm) and I love it so far, even my gf was looking at it for a bit from time to time to see the artstyle and gameplay.
>>
>>342928009
I like it. Too bad the hype died early this year.
>>
>>342928009
I like the Mignola art style, I like the narrator, and I like the general feel. The gameplay is fun, but too simple to keep you occupied for the entire campaign.
You also can't really lose the game, it just punishes you by making you grind more. RNG is manageable by taking lots of CC.
I guess i'm more sad that the later versions of the bosses are literally the exact same thing, instead of having new moves than anything else. I also would have liked to have been able to choose a specialization path for individual heros once they got to level three or something.
>>
>>342931757
I can have a sub-optimal party complete a quest without a hitch yet have my best characters slaughtered in the first few rooms

how is this "hard"
>>
>>342933635
so you think it's an easy game?
that's alright
>>
>>342931910
What the hell does your girlfriend have to do with the fucking game?
>>
>>342931757
Basically this.

Looks and sounds great, narrator is just the best.
>>
GREAT IS THE WEAPON THAT CUTS ON ITS OWN
>>
>>342928009

I liked it until I realized the only winning move was not to play so I stopped playing.

Actually I stopped playing because player input had almost zero correlation with battle outcomes and it all came down to RNG, and by all I mean literally EVERYTHING.
>>
Continue the onslaught! Destroy. Them. All.
>>
Huddled together in the firelight. Furtive and vulnerable.

I think that camping is the most comfy part of the game, Until the bounty hunter decides to get a heart attack from the food.
>>
>Blaming RNG

The only bullshit RNG mechanic is hunger. This game is REALLY easy as long as you upgrade your shit.

A real negative would be: it's too grindy. While heroes gain levels extremely fast from mid to late game, upgrading equipment and skills requires too many resources. By the time you unlock a certain boss/challenge, your heroes can barely stand a chance because they have shit weapons/armor and die in a few hits and miss all their attacks. Then you upgrade and WHOOSH, everything dies like planned.
>>
>>342935379
you can also do an activation/collect quest to gain extra damage and xp on the next quest if you need some help with the boss.

but yeah, you pretty much have to do regular antiquarian runs. not that i mind, i think those are the most fun.
>>
Don't speak for V, but I enjoy it. It's definitely got an element of praying to RNJesus, but it's the kind of RNJesus that you can have some degree of effect over with trinkets, support spells, etc.

I also like how the game is varying and pacing itself. I got a few hours in and was getting a good feel for the enemy mobs it was throwing at me, but then I'd get hit with a special enemy type or a boss dungeon and have to figure out the new rules. Getting buttfucked by a boss because I wasn't prepared for their mechanic's not that fun, I admit, but I'm enjoying thinking planning about how to approach it next time. I always enjoyed games that actually give you something to think about after you'be put it down.
>>
>>342936081
Did you strike lil' poor Wilbur?
>>
>>342936335
First time, yeah. Vidya has taught me to always focus the support character first. Bad idea.
>>
>>342936335

Nah; only just got to the widened hag.

I'm going into the game blind, so I had only brought two units that could actually reach, and that fucking pot made damn well sure I only ever had one of them out at a time.
>>
The antiquarian make it less grindy I guess ?
>>
My only beef is how fucking long it takes to get going. Like shit i got 60 hours in and barely had 2 teams at level 6, with like no good gear and only a handful of the 'hard' bosses available to defeat.

Also the ending is retarded, and all your dudes are going to die 2 steps into the darkest dungeon.
>>
>>342936879
i had 12 lvl6 characters at 30 hours, i think leveling characters is pretty fast
>>
>>342928009

OVERCONFIDENCE
>>
>>342937006

Maybe its changed since fresh out of beta but as i recall it took like 4 missions to go up a level with every second dude dying if you didn't coddle them with full de-stressing meaning you've got to wait inbetween as well as the multiple missions it took.
>>
>>342937301
four missions? now it's like one long or two medium/shorts. i actually wandered into the darkest dungeon to clear roster space because i had no more lvl1 mission characters.
and yeah, you gotta rotate to keep stress levels down.
>>
>>342936335
Yea I fuck that piggy everytime.
>>
>>342931482
i think the art is really nice. but yeah it moves like cheap flash shit.
>>
>>342933596
They do get new moves mate
>>
>>342931757
This lol.

Once again the /v/ crowd proves they are terrible at games but this time they have a shitty excuse. Same thing with Xcom.
>>
>>342928009
THERE CAN BE NO HOPE IN THIS HELL

NO HOPE AT ALL
>>
>>342928009
Narrator and writing is overwrought and purple.
>>
>>342938093
I agree, they got the Lovecraftian feel perfect.
>>
>>342937892
I don't remember seeing any.Memory must be playing tricks on me
>>
File: 1464633767865.gif (207 KB, 261x288) Image search: [Google]
1464633767865.gif
207 KB, 261x288
CONTINUE THE ONSLAUGHT

DESTROY

THEM

ALL
>>
>>342928009
Grindfest. I'm on my way to grind a team for storming the second Darkest Dungeon now, and it feels like a chore.
Also, is it me or are jester, abomination and crusader absolutely useless? Everything they can do, other classes can do better. Houndmaster is a better Jester, crusader is vastly outdamaged by leper even against the undead and abomination just sucks.
>>
File: 1466644646063.gif (263 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1466644646063.gif
263 KB, 500x500
HOW QUICKLY
>>
CURIOUS IS THE TRAPMAKERS ART
>>
>>342928009
what's the appeal of rogue likes with a bunch of generic recruits that all say the same lines?
>>
Adversities can foster hope, and resilience!
>>
>>342938278
jester is amazing for group fights. solo+finale and then support character role is real good. crusader is not that good, i can agree with that but he's got bonus dmg against unholy and can stun so he can pull his weight imo.

and abomination is amazing dude come on. stun+blight+self stress/hp heal without transformation is so good. try a plague doctor/abomination/antiquarian setup in the cove and blast those fishies with blight.
>>
File: 1466660139481.jpg (170 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1466660139481.jpg
170 KB, 600x600
>>342938652
>mfw people unironically uses transform on abomination to kill normal enemies
>>
File: THE POOR CARETAKER.jpg (185 KB, 721x734) Image search: [Google]
THE POOR CARETAKER.jpg
185 KB, 721x734
Great game and super enjoyable, but i'd already burnt myself out on it before it had actually released. With the novelty worn off, the raw game reveals itself to be just grinding, grinding, grinding.
>>
>>342928009
Too easy, nice concept, okay art style but ultimately it is not too difficult to cheese with a well balanced team
>>
>>342928009
A strategy game disguised as an rpg.
Like in all rpgs people fall in love with their characters. But this is a strategy game and in strategy games the troops die.
>>
>>342938927
There's a guy who attempted to beat the entire game without losing any heroes. He already killed the last boss without casualties with a super niche team, and last I've heard of him, he was leveling a team for the final dungeon.
>>
>>342928009
games with nice setting which gradually becomes literal satan fucking you anally due to RNG.
>inb4 git gud
you clearly didn't reach champion/darkest dungeon.
No matter how prepared and maxed out you are, you still get fucked
>>
File: The fu.jpg (233 KB, 1361x729) Image search: [Google]
The fu.jpg
233 KB, 1361x729
Has its rough moments
>>
>>342939086
Are you one of those guys, who never brings any torches to the dungeons? This might be the core of your problems.
>>
>>342939146
You can't possibly face this scenario in game, unless you're trying to achieve it on purpose.
>>
>>342939151
>Are you one of those guys, who never brings any torches to the dungeons? T
i said prepared, and that's opposite of not taking torches anon
>>
Great presentation but it takes every opportunity it can to make you grind and waste your time.

This guy did a great analysis of the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Buwei6ZWqU
>>
>>342939226
Then I don't understand your problem. Losing a hero is possible on the highest level dungeons, but if you bring a healer, properly optimize your team and bring a lot of torches to deny crits to the monsters, you shouldn't lose too many.
>>
>>342939302
>80 damage crit into bleed with insta deathblow when i get the first turn.
yea that is really fair and shit.
i've put 90 hours into that game and didn't even finish first darkest dungeon. Lost like 26 level legend characters.
>inb4 how can you be this bad
fuck you, game is unfair as shit
>>
>>342936335
>First time fighting Swine King
>Die to Wilbur
>Achievement unlocked!
After betting them multiple other times I can't believe I actually sucked that hard, you almost have to try and manipulate the game to get that little fucker to kill you
>>
File: 1465155677998.jpg (67 KB, 490x490) Image search: [Google]
1465155677998.jpg
67 KB, 490x490
>>342939454
>i've put 90 hours into that game and didn't even finish first darkest dungeon
>>
>>342939212
But you DO.
If the playere is stupid enough to unlock the portal.
Its also possible to die to the group of highwaymen in the tutorial if RNG decides to dick you completely over.
>>
>click on what looks like a plant
>get teleported to an alternate dimension
>huge ass monster that summons monsters that increases their damage by 50% every turn
>my best team gets slaughtered
Rough game
>>
>>342940054
>The sacrifice of fire is the gate to ruin! Place a torch if you crave the void!

you should have listened
>>
>>342940249
I was like level 2 and only just killed the first necromancer. I didn't think they would put something that strong there.
>>
>>342939875
How do you do that?
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 1080x2048) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 1080x2048
/v/ complains about the difficulty
Step up the game you fucks
>>
>>342935081
Reading that made me feel a little stressed
>>
>>342928009
people think it's hard but in reality it's just a grind
>>
>>342940428
Got so many misses/dodges that I just turned off the game

I really want to like it, but then it takes so long just to get one fucking deed
>>
>>342931910
what about your girlfriends son did he enjoy it?
>>
>>342928009
Boring grind. At first it looks good - nice art desgn, narrator, ok gameplay. But then you realize that you'll have to grind all the levels 3 times over to reach the endboss (and each circle barely changes anything), all fights devolve into "kill the stress mage first and then others" (there are like 3-4 enemy patterns in the entire game), there is no meaningfull progression (traits come and go too fast to make your guys feel unque, and locking them costs a shit ton)
>>
>>342941029
someone should update this
>>
>>342928009
Artificial difficulty: the game
>>
>>342928009
shit grindfest

being forced to made a bunch of espendable heroes just to grind money is not fun
>>
>>342933979
>do
Jelly much
>>
File: 12653423563.png (253 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
12653423563.png
253 KB, 600x450
>>342928009
Personally I think the game became complete shit when it was officially released which is ironic. They just added so much shit that made the game not fun, even if they can just be turned off. But those additions weren't my biggest problem with the game. It was when the actual Darkest Dungeon was added in. I was hyped to take my best team in but before I did, I looked it up just to see what I was in for. Couldn't help spoiling myself on the final boss and once I saw that ending, I had no desire to touch the game again. While playing games in and of itself is a nothing more than you wasting time, that ending just made all the time I put into the game feel entirely pointless.
>>
>>342943475
I can relate to that. Yeah, Lovecraft this, Lovecraft that, I killed 90 hours to beat this shitter, can I get an ending that doesn't amout to "Fuck you"?
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.