[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where is Atari? They've gone even further off the radar
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 13
File: atari.jpg (51 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
atari.jpg
51 KB, 360x360
Where is Atari? They've gone even further off the radar than Sega.
>>
Atari hasn't been Atari since 1984, when Bushnell sold them to Tramiel, familia.
>>
>>342925180
>Where is Atari?

Anon I...
>>
The RZA!!!
>>
>>342925180

There are only 8 employees at atari.

Im not kidding. Look it up. It's on Wikipedia too.
>>
Until they release Blood's source code they'll be relevant again
>>
>>342926506

What do they do? Help with the paperwork of leasing the Atari logo to retro TShirt companies?
>>
>>342925180
they went bankrupt a while ago anon
at this point they only exist to eventually sell as a brand since the name still carries some kind of weight, or could if anyone cared enough to use it
>>
Don't they publish Dragon Ball Z games?
>>
>>342925180
Someone get the cunts to allow Blood a source port, they aren't doing anything with the IP.
>>
>>342926597
Hang on to copyrights of 20 year old games so they can rip people off.
>>
>>342926506
And yet they're apparently powerful enough to where Jace Hall would fear for his life if he did anything with Blood's source code
>>
>>342925180
they are Warner Brothers Interactive, now.
>>
File: 1466888070118.png (106 KB, 348x278) Image search: [Google]
1466888070118.png
106 KB, 348x278
>>342925180
>what happened to literally who?
Oh I don't know maybe nobody knows who you're fucking talking about.
Let me guess, they make le ebin retro 8 bit games like all those other unique™ and original ® games with that oldschool© charm only use oldfags know about.
Top kek.
>>
>>342926686
Well that explains it. Ironically, during their "renaissance" over the last few years of publishing games like Godzilla, Riddick and Ghostbusters, it was actually Infogrames operating under the Atari name after buying it, and now they have gone kaput and are looking to just sell off the assets yet again.

Who would be the next publisher to pick up the Atari name, though? It's going to be someone who is making money and has had some success in the industry, but has a bland, unrecognizable name that they want to replace with something iconic and instantly recognizable. That is the situation Infogrames was in when they bought Atari-- they were doing pretty well as a publisher, then they re-branded themselves as Atari when they looked to be a rising star to challeng the likes of EA and Activision. It's also possible that a smaller, more indie-focused publisher will buy them out so as to capitalize on the nostalgia for old school gaming.

The left-field possibility is that it might not even be a game publisher who buys Atari, but a computer manufacturer. Atari was actually a huge computer brand in the 80s that rivaled Apple and Commodore, and depending on what kind of price Atari is selling for, a PC manufacturer might by them out and start selling Atari branded gaming PCs, laptops and peripherals again. This happened with Commodore for a short while about 10 years ago, where some high-end gaming PCs were being sold under the Commodore brand. It's unlikely but not impossible.

Being an Atari fan is suffering. Not only is the original company long gone, but the company that wore their badge is now gone too. Nolan Bushnell was even back in charge for a while, but now they're gone again. It's a complete roll of the dice as to whether the next company that becomes Atari will be able to live up to their rich but spotted legacy.
>>
>>342927612
Here's (You)r (You).
>>
>>342926506

well Atari was a big company then.
>>
>>342927727
Here's to you
>>
>>342927638
>Being an Atari fan is suffering
Fucking this. It's just sad to see how far they've fallen. They went from one of the biggest game companies in NA to constant failures after the 7800, withdrawal from the console market, constant sell offs and such, to the point there's barely an Atari name anymore. Sega may have lost the console race, but at least they're still mostly intact.
>>
>>342926263
(((Tramiel)))
>>
>>342925180
Isn't Atari basically Activision now?
>>
>>342928060
Atari made some really bad business choices, and so did Infogrames. Right now it's embarrassing what they've become, and they should really just sell off the name and IP to a bigger company that will actually do something with it.

Midway went through a similar thing and they were a small potatoes name compared to Atari. Warner Bros. bought them out though, and they became Warner Bros. Interactive, with the Mortal Kombat team becoming Netherrealm Studios. They weren't interested in the Midway name but rather the people, specifically Ed Boon.

Unlike Midway, there are no people left at Atari and pretty much the only thing of value they have for sale is the name and the legacy. It's a holdings company who are holding out for the right buyer, and that is a market with a fairly small pool of customers. The situation they're in is more similar to Psygnosis, where the only thing they have going for them is their brand name and IPs. Either some big media company new to gaming is going to try and make a big splash under the Atari name like Warner Bros. did when they bought Midway, some growing studio or publisher is going to buy it to get more marquee value, or someone big publisher executive will suggest buying them because he's overly sentimental about Centipede and wants to publish new Atari-themed games.
>>
>>342928763
No, Atari is a small team of 10 people who just goof around in an office waiting for someone to buy the brand so they can retire early.

They were Infogrames for a while but Infogrames Atari bankrupted themselves making a very expensive but not terribly good Alone in the Dark game.
>>
File: page_hero_lynx.jpg (157 KB, 1000x522) Image search: [Google]
page_hero_lynx.jpg
157 KB, 1000x522
>"Have you played Atari today?"
>weeps internally
>>
>>342928776
I really wish they would. I just wonder how the world would react to Atari making a comeback, and hopefully staying for it. Regardless of if it was just games or an actual new console (doubted) I still think it'd be nice, but fuck if that makes too big of a difference, because I'm just an Atari fanboy.

If I was fucking rich, I'd do the latter thing too, and bring them back out of sentimentality.

>>342929190
;_;7
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
12 KB, 480x360
Not even Spider-Man could save Atari.
>>
>company is named after a term in Go, a Japanes board game
>they make a publishing company, Tengen, also named after a term from Go
>the 2600's claim to fame was ports of various Japanese arcade games, like Space Invaders

Were the founders proto-weebs or something? Also Tengen seemed to get along well with Namco and Toaplan.
>>
>>342929309
Proto weebs sounds about right, although back then Japanese culture was a lot more obscure and they hadn't yet earned their reputation as a factory of Asian pop culture, so that made it a bit more obscure and weird at the time.

Ironically Atari never gained much popularity in Japan, and it was always seen as a very American brand even when they got bought out by the French. Most people don't even know that Atari is a Japanese word.
>>
>>342929554
Maybe Namco could do them a favor and buy Atari out, after all Atari and Namco did have a very close relationship. I think even a Namco rep was the one who became president of Tengen.
>>
File: tobeymaguireface.jpg (21 KB, 620x372) Image search: [Google]
tobeymaguireface.jpg
21 KB, 620x372
>>342929280
He was so poor after buying the thing, it was easier to find a power outlet in the bathroom than buy batteries.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W_E-tqWAVg
>>
>>342925180
Atari always sucked so much shit, I feel bad for anyone who got t their console for christmas once alternatives started popping out. If sega was the brand for nigger atari was the one for potatoes.
>>
>>342929706
It would be interesting if Namco published their games in the US under the Atari brand, although Namco and Bandai are already fairly recognizable brands. They would in all likeliness be buying them to make remakes of their old games, if they acquired them.

Sega oddly enough had an interesting relationship with Atari. Sega was basically funding Atari's legal defense when Nintendo was suing them over the unlicensed Tengen games because they wanted to give Nintendo a black eye. Ironically, EA was threatening to publish unlicensed Genesis games, but unlike Nintendo and Tengen Sega was willing to strike a deal with them.
>>
>>342929756
>being able to sneak a fucking lynx to school

if i was a teacher i wouldnt even be mad
>>
>>342930096
>Sega was basically funding Atari's legal defense when Nintendo was suing them over the unlicensed Tengen games because they wanted to give Nintendo a black eye

damn i wish shit like this happened today, everyone is too buddy buddy with each other
>>
>>342930096
Sega only did the EA thing because EA games literally sold their consoles. It's what made Genesis take off, and ironically what made the Dreamcast fail.
>>
>>342929905
The Atari 2600 was very popular even after the game crash, which contrary to popular belief Atari did not cause directly. It was all the unlicensed shovelware and failed alternative consoles that caused the crash. Atari contributed one infamously bad game to the pile and they ended up shouldering all the blame.
>>
File: file.png (71 KB, 1024x724) Image search: [Google]
file.png
71 KB, 1024x724
>>342930375
Nevermind unlicensed, some of the games outright didn't work. You wanna take a guess who kickstarted the unauthorized third party games idea that everyone copied?
>>
File: LgVBovi.jpg (22 KB, 519x389) Image search: [Google]
LgVBovi.jpg
22 KB, 519x389
>>342930326
No doubt about it Sega wanted EA's games, but they had to convince EA why they should pay Sega's licensing fee to publish them officially instead of just going behind Sega's back, because they had already reverse-engineered the Genesis. EA was a PC game company initially, and Trip Hawkins was offended by the very notion that EA should have to pay someone else money just to make games.

Sega basically worked out a deal with EA where they could make their own cartridges instead of buying them from Sega (which meant a reduced licensing fee), and Sega would pay EA to develop several exclusive games for the system that Sega would publish, and they would both avoid an expensive court battle. It ended up working out quite nicely for both parties, and it's also why EA games for Genesis have those weird cartridges with the yellow tab.
>>
>>342930692
Activision was, ironically, made up of former Atari employees who were mad about not being credited for their work. It was rare for big games to even have credits until the 1990s, because the publishers didn't want their competitors to look up their developers in the directory and steal them.
>>
>>342930860
That's so interesting I never knew that and it explains a lot.
>>
>>342931067
What I find especially amazing is how Activision's logo has remained virtually unchanged for almost 40 years.
>>
>>342931197
Same with Atari, Nintendo and Sega. EA and Konami are the ones who abandoned their roots-- Konami got rid of the classic checkered flag thing for a bland red stripe, and EA ended up turning the EA Sports logo into "EA Games" and using it company wide (and they're the only company arrogant enough to slap their logo onto the cover spine of every game case they publish).
>>
>>342929309
Nintendo actually asked Atari if they could localize Nintendo games in America, but Atari shot them down.

Wonder how that would've turn out if they hadn't.
>>
File: nn8Fv.jpg (61 KB, 450x338) Image search: [Google]
nn8Fv.jpg
61 KB, 450x338
Atari might still be making consoles if they had released the Panther instead of shitcanning it and releasing the Jaguar early with no CD drive and a nonsensical architecture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxNknap9uPU

They sat out most of the 4th generation and blew their 5th gen load before it was ready. The market in 1993 wasn't ready for a 5th gen system, and the Jaguar's tech wasn't ready to be a 5th gen system. If they had released the 4rth gen Panther in 1992, like they were supposed to, it would have been a 32-bit 2D monster that would have eaten the SNES and Genesis for breakfast in terms of performance. They would have still been the third wheel (with NEC being the 4th), but it would have been a viable platform.
>>
File: file.png (304 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
file.png
304 KB, 620x413
>>342932192
It would have been made of wood.
>>
File: Atari-lynx.jpg (46 KB, 658x314) Image search: [Google]
Atari-lynx.jpg
46 KB, 658x314
>>342932192
Also, Epyx asked Nintendo if they wanted distribute the Lynx, but Nintendo said no and then went and made the Gameboy which had inferior specs at a much lower price point. Epyx asked Atari if they wanted it, and they said yes.
>>
File: c64_1.jpg (146 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
c64_1.jpg
146 KB, 960x720
Commodore > Atari
>>
>>342932437
>Atari might still be making consoles if they had released the Panther instead of shitcanning it

Not a chance. Pretty much everything about the jaguar experience showed that they were thinking far, far in the past. A better device doesn't interfere with the fact that management didn't know what it was doing.

I mean, come on, three primary buttons on the controller and no shoulder buttons.
>>
Don't they publish nintendo mario games?
>>
>>342934983
It was actually published by Coleco, who ported Donkey Kong to many systems. It was an officially licensed cartridge, though. The best Atari version of Donkey Kong was the 7800 version , which is pretty faithful to the arcade. The 2600 version is unfortunately kind of shit.
>>
>>342927612
This is probally retarded low tier bait, but il take it. Atari was basically the first vidya game company, they made Pong basically.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.