[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How is this game? I've played through Enemy unknown and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 9
File: Untitled.jpg (18 KB, 319x145) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
18 KB, 319x145
How is this game?

I've played through Enemy unknown and have an itch for more, wondering if this was worth picking up since it's on sale.
>>
It's okay

I expected more, but if you want more EU then that's what it is.
>>
>>342905474
it's pretty great if you liked EU
>>
It sacrifices a lot of EU's charm in favor of a more "gripping" plot or some shit, but there are a lot of mechanical improvements.
>>
Story is rubbish and aesthetics are bland. The music is generic.

Lots of mechanical improvements and QoL changes to the formula. However the gameplay is even more binary than in EW, you can't lock the enemies down even if you wanted, the only option is to either kill them all or eat shit.

8/10, I honestly wanted more but maybe some overhaul mod can salvage this
>>
>>342907676
No it isn't. EU is much better.

I loved EU but I had to stop playing this shit half way through.
>>
I always get halfway into the campaign in Part 1 and lose interest.
>>
It's more of the same as EU, except:

>various tweaks
>way better customization
>better mod support
>worse soundtrack
>worse theme / story
>>
File: 1466711814678.jpg (44 KB, 398x370) Image search: [Google]
1466711814678.jpg
44 KB, 398x370
>>342909151
what's wrong anon, can't deal under the pressure of time limits
>>
>>342909771
not him, but I'm a piece of shit, and times limits fucked me
>>
>>342905474
wait, this game has time limits? fuck that shit
>>
it's great, get it
>>
It's a direct upgrade to EU, so if you like EU play it, if you haven't played either play EU then 2
>>
I loved it
Janky as fuck sometimes, and the story is a little bit ridiculous at times, but the overall atmosphere and gameplay are excellent
>>
>>342909934
Unless you're a massive shitter the time limits are barely an issue.
>>
It's good, but sucks.

Does that make any sense?
>>
>>342909934

It's a non-issue and if you're that bad the first mod released for it removed the time limits
>>
>no MECs
Belongs in the trash
>>
>>342909934

The time limits are not restrictive at all and many/most missions don't have them.
>>
Is it optimized now or do I need the latest hardware?
>>
If you liked EU then you'll probably like 2 as it's an improvement in most ways. I didn't particularly enjoy it though. I want more stuff similar to earlier tbs games like the original X-COMs or Silent Storm but almost nobody seems interested in doing that.
>>
File: 1463843783845.jpg (28 KB, 600x549) Image search: [Google]
1463843783845.jpg
28 KB, 600x549
>>342905474
Everything about the core combat is designed to appease tryhards and punish turtling.

Overworld game timer can be extended but just there to annoy you and keep you from grinding out tech tree.

UI is garbage and does a terrible job of separating permanent tech tree upgrades from building consumables.

Later fights are just bullshit on bullshit.

PseudoRNG is surprisingly gameable with savescumming.

I liked the first game so much better. It had flaws of its own, but didn't go out of its way to annoy me like 2.
>>
the real question is
where is the Long War mod
or generally the mod that makes the game x100 better that the devs can never dream about
>>
The game is fun but time/turn limits are horrible and i stopped playing the game.

There is a mod that fixes them/removes
>>
File: le happy merchant.jpg (81 KB, 600x306) Image search: [Google]
le happy merchant.jpg
81 KB, 600x306
>>342911306
Wait for the DLC.
>>
>>342915819
>overwatch creep is turtling
The time limits aren't a problem unless you're legitimately bad.

The Avatar clock is much more manageable and forgiving than EU's satellite bullshit.

The later fights are significantly easier (prior to the actual final "boss fight") than the early ones unless you're running Alien Hunters, but that's a separate issue entirely. The only really stupid mechanic is "dodge" but only four enemies utilize it.

The PseudoRNG works exactly the same as EU.
>>
File: 1466905072596.jpg (477 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
1466905072596.jpg
477 KB, 960x640
>muh time limits
>muh "pseudo"RNG
Every time. This game is significantly easier than EW.
>>
>>342905474

It's pretty good, and worth your purchase I'd say.

Don't count on overwatch-turtling though.
>>
>>342905474

Play with: http://www.nexusmods.com/xcom2/mods/57/?

It fixes one of the least liked aspects of Xcom 2.

It's suppose to focus more on guerrilla warfare, but without this mod it kinda' fails at it.
>>
Speaking of, have any good total overhauls come out yet?
>>
>>342909151
It's better in every way besides the in between mission gameplay.
>>
File: 1465350094585.jpg (135 KB, 866x1300) Image search: [Google]
1465350094585.jpg
135 KB, 866x1300
>>342915819
>>
>>342905474
>>342915819

Ehhh.. my only issues with the game are dodge and that sometimes the protect the uplink missions are unwinnable (super uncommon but seriously don't play xcom 2 on iron man and you'll be fine)

I thought it made a lot of really good changes from xcom one, the overworld is much better and has legitimate important choices instead of mindless satellite rush, the new classes are much better balanced, especially the new support equivalent is an amazing upgrade, I found Snipers to be the worst ones and even then I wouldn't call them bad. New Psychics in this one are game breaking bad asses just like I'd always hoped.

Download a mod for the T3 power armor apperance though that shit looks like power ranger costumes.
>>
>>342918710
Seriously, the 2's global game is somehow worse than EU's. It had so much potential and they literally turned it into a shallower version of the unbalanced crock you got in EU. Nevermind LW's considerably more complicated airgame, country preparedness, individual nation bonuses, or all the various choices involved. Where's the coordination aspect? The management? Why aren't you involved in planning the targeted strikes that your squad swoops in to finish?
>>
>>342905474
its fun
>>
>>342905474
I just finished XCOM Enemy Within and it was pretty fun. I'm playing Long War right now and it's great as well, although sometimes frustrating. Should I jump into XCOM 2 once I'm done with LW, or should I just wait for an expansion, like Enemy Unknown got. The lack of mecs in XCOM2 is disappointing, but I hear the new DLC will bring them back. Is there a mod like Long War for XCOM 2?
>>
>>342905474
Its EU 1.5

Not really a sequel, more like more of the same

Also its DLC is some of the worst shite I have ever seen for a Xcom game.
>>
IS the dlc worth it? Or just the base game for today?
>>
>>342905474
Didnt like it. Didnt add enough new content to the game and completely wasted the premise of guerrilla warfare.

Its just Xcom EU but with a slightly different skin and in some areas, less content.
>>
File: xcom_2_dlc_alien_hunters_4.jpg (135 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
xcom_2_dlc_alien_hunters_4.jpg
135 KB, 1920x1080
>>342922114
The DLC is absolute rubbish, and actually makes the game worse

Unless you think dressing like a MH clownsuit in order to fight aliens is a good idea
>>
>>342905474
it's fine

if you liked eu, this fixes the main problems eu had

also lots mods
>>
>>342922546
Can I disable DLC when I start a new game? I got the full version with all the DLC but I don't think I want to deal with Alien Hunters bullshit.
>>
File: 1388957143351.jpg (19 KB, 341x487) Image search: [Google]
1388957143351.jpg
19 KB, 341x487
>tfw no 2nd playthrough becuase mods won't work
Ok then.
>>
>>342905474
Its not Xcom1, it improves tactical stuff but fucks over base management, most missions have some stupid time limiter, most new enemies are a little overtuned and if you don't stun them and kill then during the stun you can kiss at least 2 or 3 soldiers goodbye.
I just stick to EW with long war mod.
>>
>>342923687
>it improves tactical stuff
>kill everything in one turn or lose soldiers
>it's trivially easy to kill everything in one turn unless you're a retard

Game's single redeeming feature is mods.
>>
>>342923927
Im not saying its hard, I'm just annoyed that in the previous xcom using a turn to positionate yourself wasn't so fucking punishing as in xcom 2 where the second you are not killing something its the second the enemy will activate their 30 passives and instagib an area of half map, if not vaporizing one guy in particular.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.