[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's so bad about FF XIII? I know it's linear (but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 13
File: 2.jpg (184 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
184 KB, 1280x1024
What's so bad about FF XIII? I know it's linear (but so is FFX) and I've seen 2 or 3 of the Spoony's videos a few years ago but the guy is a first grade retard and autist so I couldn't care less. The combat system gets quite a lot of praise, so that's cool.

I'm replaying FFX but it's not really that much fun as I already know the story and the combat mostly boils down to: 1 enemy for auron, 1 for tidus and 1 for wakka/lulu

Have finished FFIX, FFX, almost FFIII, can't play FFVII because I've had too much of its story spoiled and have seen the movie many times when I was a kid so there's that, dislike FFVIII and don't feel like playing FFX-2 because I've been spoiled the tweeest that Tidus isn'T Tidus or whatever

I would love to play FFXII again, never finished it because I had to reinstall windows and was way too far and now my GPU died and laptop can't emulate it properly.
>>
>>342848453
>I know it's linear
Yeah that's what's wrong with it.

Also you have to read an in-game wiki to understand the story.

And the game-play could be more "interactive."
>>
>>342848750
Is it the whole game?
Well, that's rather a very much linear, I know I've seen that picture but I thought it was not so bad.
Well, it's 55GB and I've not much to do, would you perhaps recommend something?
I've had Trails in the Sky or what'sitcalled on my hdd for a while and even started it 2 times but the intro is so slow and so much text and nothing happens that I get bored of it. Furthest I got was saving some kid someplace.
>>
>>342849094
more to the TITS: It can be funny and the combat isn't theworst and it's cozy, so if you tell me that it really does get better after the initial 2 hours and stops being so slow, I will play that.
>>
>>342849094
>Is it the whole game?
No but the first 20-30 hours of the game are on-rail. Then you get to Gran Pulse.
It is controversial but I personally liked Gran Pulse, you have one semi-big free roaming area with quests that are kinda repetitive (go kill that guy) but I enjoyed it.
Then it's back to corridors for the last part of the game.

FF13-2 and Lightning Returns were better though.
>>
>>342852721
Thank you, but I imagine FFXIII-2 and LR require the knowledge of FFXIII, right?
So I'd first have to go through not so good 50 hours before getting to the good stuff, I can't imagine it being worth it.
How about the TITS, any idea about that?
>>
>>342848750
>Also you have to read an in-game wiki to understand the story
no you don't. I had no trouble following that shit without once reading the datalog. The terminology is easy to figure out if you pay any attention at all and everything else is very straightforward, albeit really dumb.
>>
>>342852997
Heh, you should be able to manage if you picked up at FF13-2. Or just watch FF13 on YouTube, you're not missing much.
No idea about TITS, sorry.
>>
>>342853160
Oh, ok, will see about that, thanks.
>>
>>342848453
I personally liked XIII quite a bit. I was a huge skeptic, even a plain out basher, before I finally played it myself.

The beginning is the game's weakest part, with so much of the game play being locked & world being so linear. But just few hours into the game, I was already hooked.

I really recommend disabling the minimap , and learning out of smashing the Auto Battle button. Manual combos + Repeat function are much more effective AND fun. SAB + SYN paradigm rapes anything.

The sequels greatly improved the pacing and some game play elements.
>>
OP here again
talking about JRPG's, how is Child of Light? any good?
>>
>>342848453
>I know it's linear (but so is FFX)
I don't like this comparison for one important reason
In FFX you can go backwards, and the player is rewarded for doing so.
Until the end of FF13 there is no going back and even then you are only allowed to go slightly back. I blame the 360 for using multiple disks.
>>
After 12 hours I gave up on XIII, I hated the cast apart from Sahz(?) surprisingly.
It's pretty to look at but fuck I can't go back and retry it.
>>
>>342857376
I can understand not liking the other 4, but what's wrong with Fang?
>>
XIII is simply a divisive game because it was the first mainline FF game to be released in an age where everyone and their mom could shitpost on the internet
So a million circlejerks arose about it and almost 7 years late the shitposting still hasn't ended
The Patriots were right
>>
>>342857784
I don't think I got that far, when does she appear?
I haven't played it for years so I may just be a forgetful idiot.
>>
>>342848453
Linear, dull, stupid characters and story.

Interesting combat mechanics, characters and enviroment designs are top notch tho.

Lightning a qt
>>
>>342854859
It's meh. I personally didn't like it much but it was kinda enjoyable. I paid 10 bucks for an used version and I wouldn't pay more for it.
>>
problem is the game doesnt push you to get good with the combat system, people get lazy and run medic in half their paradigms and complain bosses take forever as a result not to mention people actually use Autobattle after learning the enemies weakness which is full on retard.

only the Eidolon fights get it right by casting Doom on you the moment the fight starts, your forced into pushing for a quick finish and every boss fight should of done this.

FF13-2 kind of fixed this by adding the pain debuff that reduces max HP meaning sooner or later your going to be one shot if your not aiming to end the fight quick enough.
>>
>>342858761
Yeah, the wound damage mechanic was brilliant. A shame they didn't implemented it in XIII.
>>
>>342858283
She appears after Snow's eidolon battle which is way earlier than 12 hours in
>>
>>342858283
She's the one that captures Snow when he's in the ice village, you get her as playable when her and Snow rescue Lightning and Hope in the city
>>
>>342848453
It's just annoying when you paradigm shift for the first time in any battle and have to watch a lengthy animation change, meanwhile the enemy is beating your ass.
>>
>>342857784
Not him, but Fang was the most forgettable character for me. She didn't do much other than being cool and serving as a catalyst for Vanille. But then again, I loved Snow so it's probably just my shit taste.
>>
>>342848453
It's fucking terrible. EVERYONE was disgusted by it when released, it's only now getting a moderate following because, as you probably know, after x amount of years bad games stop being bad and become "comfy" or some other buzzword instead.
>brainless combat system
>battling is also the thing you do for the ENTIRETY of the game
>calling it linear would be an understatement, it's literally a corridor until you get to Gran Pulse which is a huge circular area with more stuff to fight while mashing X. You stay there an hour and then it's back to hallways until the final boss
>thirteen chapters, you only get full control of your party in chapter 10
>terrible story. There is no worldbuilding or coherent story whatsoever, characters flip flop between motivations every cutscene and the game flat out admits in more than one instance that the characters are wandering aimlessly. Exposition characters just spout enough technobabble to push you towards the next cheap drama filled cutscene with an awful cast
>>
>>342858761
after you scan enemies Autobattle takes into consideration weaknesses to pick up actions anyway.
There is literally no reason to ever input commands manually unless you're spamming Death with Vanille
>>
I don't see why this gets so much more criticism than the other Final Fantasy games.
They're all fucking shit, shit combat, shit story, shit characters, shit graphics.
>>
>>342848453
There's nothing wrong with it. Fans just hyped it up like they do every new game now and were disappointed that it took a different direction.

As for the sequels, I don't know why they got funding for those, that's on Squeenix.

I liked XIII and am a Lightning-fag
>>
>>342858754
I pirated it so will it be worth the time I spent pirating it which I wasted on 4chan and spent chatting with my gurrrrrrl?
>>
>>342859474
That's part of why I asked, there's very little of her to hate,

>>342859620
Doesn't it alternate firestrike and fire, rather than using the stronger stat?
>>
>>342859873
probably, but it's a minimal difference. And characters with huge differences between the two stats only get the elemental attack for the best one in their crystarium anyway
>>
>>342859620
autobattle is for learning weaknesses when you dont want to spend points on Libra, the moment you have them manual commands are far better

>enemy is weak to all magic
>autobattle mixes fire/blizzard/water/thunder etc
>manual spam thunder
>thunder has no travel time and next to no animation meaning your command line is finished much faster and enemies cant evade it by moving
if you pay attention to the travel time on Blizzard you'll find enemies can completely evade it

>enemy is weak to both magic and physical
>autobattle mixes Fire/Flamestrike causing the most retarded sequence of animations possible god forbid the enemy is moving whilst you attempt this
>manual use either of the two, animations are over twice as fast

Autobattle Sab attempts to only inflict each debuff once but for many fights you want to make sure X debuff lands as a result it's better to manually cast 6 say Deprotects in a row and cancel the attack command the moment the debuff lands instead of letting the AI cast 1 Deprotect/Deshell/Fog/Pain etc hoping they all magically work the first time
the autobattle for sab also does nothing in 13 once all debuffs are applied, this is fixed in 13-2 with the pain command added in for giving Sab's an auto-attack as it were.
>>
>>342860147
No, I meant the strike moves go off strength, and the other ones go off magic, which isn't good for the non-balanced characters (everybody but Sazh and Lightning)
>>
>>342860362
yeah, I meant unbalanced characters usually only get the elemental attack of the stat they benefit from. Ie, unless you complete the crystarium to tackle the endgame bosses, Hope only gets Fire because Firestrike is a Commando skill during the main story, so autobattle mixing the two kind of attacks can only happen to the characters that wouldn't get hurt by that (Sahz and Light as you said) because they are the only ones who have both attacks

>>342860305
huh, that's true. I remember the retarded animations caused by Attack-Ruin-Attack-Ruin and such. I don't remember having much trouble even just using autobattle though
>>
>>342848453
I never noticed Lightning's breasts were so big
>>
>>342860934
Firestrike is ravager skill, it just uses physical strength instead of magic.
Only skills in commando are attack/blitz and ruin/ruinga.

Also I thought either Snow or Fang don't get strikes until right at the end of their ravager crystalarium
>>
>>342861607
She had some curves in the original XIII but then Toriyama requested they make her scawnier for the sequels. fucker
>>
File: Admentum.jpg (37 KB, 500x738) Image search: [Google]
Admentum.jpg
37 KB, 500x738
>>342862408
Why scrawny?

>Implying scrawny lightning isn't attractive s-still
>>
File: 1445093915155.png (19 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1445093915155.png
19 KB, 200x200
>>342862408
>mfw Lightning's original design is probably my favorite female FF design
>>
Alternating between spells and strikes has the advantage of increasing the chain gauge more which is what a Ravager is supposed to be doing.

It also has the advantage of getting your character to move around and thus move away from enemies as they attack or go into the air during launches.

There is a speed advantage of just using spells over and over but considering there's is an initial charge time after the ATB fills as well as Paradigm auto fills, straight spells or physical attacks aren't always the best way to go.
>>
>>342858761
to be fair, getting 0 star ratings and taking more than twice your target time to beats bosses should tip anyone who isn't literally retarded off that they're doing something wrong.
>>
>>342859484
/v/ shits on every single AAA game on release
You probably weren't even here to see /v/ shitting on witcher 3 on release for example
It happens to every game, neverending shitposting when it's the new game to talk about and after that dies down actual discussion can be had
>>
File: LRFFXIII_Fang_Render[1].png (294 KB, 656x691) Image search: [Google]
LRFFXIII_Fang_Render[1].png
294 KB, 656x691
>>342863082
Because Toriyama wanted a trap Cloud with pink hair

>>342863259
I feel you mate, although Fang is a close second
>>
>>342859484
>brainless combat system
Confirmed for never beating the game, fucking faggot
>>
File: 4.gif (2 MB, 500x391) Image search: [Google]
4.gif
2 MB, 500x391
>>342864695
Really?
>>
>thirteen chapters, you only get full control of your party in chapter 10
You only get your dream team at the very end of IV. Until then each time a member enters or leaves you have a new playstyle to work with constantly through the game. To me at least, that kept things fresh.

The only thing I didn't like about FXIII's parties was that they would give a character an eidolon or you would buy a Technique for a character and they would be gone or demoted from leader before you could use it.
>>
>>342864817
I did you fucking faggot, don't pretend it's deep.
>libra
>have at least a couple of paradigms with healer
>autobattle with two RAV and one COM to keep the stagger bar from decreasing too fast, switch to three RAV when near Stagger
>gg
>oh also use SYN and SAB for the odd Doom boss
wow
>>
>>342863259
>original design

Pics?
>>
>>342865250
You're the kind of guy who also mashes X in KH and says the combat is braindead
>>
>>342865250
The fact that you use all 6 roles fairly consistently is deep enough combat for me compared to a lot of JRPGs.

Sure you could autobattle your way through most joke mobs sometimes but theres not really a reason to outside of pure laziness. It was always optimal to pick your own movesets and constantly swap paradigms
>>
File: 23920271200_975ced20a4_o.jpg (2 MB, 4320x7680) Image search: [Google]
23920271200_975ced20a4_o.jpg
2 MB, 4320x7680
>>342865572
Its literally how she looks in FFXIII. You really only notice its different in later games if you played the dress up simulator and saw how she looked with clothes on
>>
>>342865250
This post is literally the brainless way of doing things. pure cancer. you didn't "play" XIII you merely finished it.
>>
>>342848453
>What's so bad about Final Fantasy: Hallway Simulator Edition

I don't know, you tell me.
>>
>>342865883
don't strawman retard.
And no, combat in KH is good.
>>342866008
if the brainless way to do things allowed me to complete the game while only having problems with a total of two bosses (Bahamut and the robot thing in the forest with Lightning and Hope, and they only took me one retry each), it's not a good combat system
>>
File: Lightning Old New.jpg (79 KB, 623x756) Image search: [Google]
Lightning Old New.jpg
79 KB, 623x756
>>342865572
think he's just reffering to her model in 13, it was changed in LR slightly and even more so depending on which outfits you wear changes her bust/ass

from what i recall Seven in Type 0 was Lightnings old old design with the silver hair but they gave that colour to Hope instead and they then went for a redhead and finally changed it to be a lighter pink
>>
>>342865978
Oh i see what you mean, I thought you meant like original design in like a drafting phase or a sketch phase.
>>
File: 1453460664619.png (19 KB, 438x469) Image search: [Google]
1453460664619.png
19 KB, 438x469
>>342866327
>combat in KH is good.
>>
File: prom.jpg (7 KB, 164x161) Image search: [Google]
prom.jpg
7 KB, 164x161
>>342866336
Damn, that design
>>
>>342866327
maximum bait you fucking plebian
>>
>>342866327
That applies to tons of games
https://youtu.be/7iX4qtTbN2o
>>
>>342866959
>comparing an exploit to a fundamentally shallow combat system
Please stop
>>
LIGHTNING VERY SEXY BUT VERY BAD GAMES SORRY LIGHTNING BUT IT IS TRUE.
>>
File: anger.png (16 KB, 291x300) Image search: [Google]
anger.png
16 KB, 291x300
>>342867358
Wait til the real lightning hears this!
>>
>>342867278
>shallow
Just because you don't experiment and use it properly doesn't mean it's shallow
>>
>>342848453
>Spoony

Stopped reading there.
>>
>>342867546
if I don't need to experiment at all to comfortably complete the game, what's the fucking point?
A good combat system would require you to fully understand it to advance the game at all.
>>
>>342867652
He trashes Spoony a few words later. I have no idea who this Spoony character is and why he's mentioned in every FF thread
>>
>>342868215
>require you to fully understand it to advance the game at all.
Then nearly 99% of the games have shitty gameplay?
>>
>>342868215
You do realize that games like DMC and Bayonetta are perfectly beatable just by spamming the same combo right?
Most FF games can be beaten by spamming attack and occasionally healing
You complaints make no sense
>>
>>342868215
XIII's combat can be handled by two types of people. Shitters that only want to finish the game that have mediocre skills and actual players that take advantage of the combat mechanics to their favor. Virtually every game has combat that can be easily spammed to finish the game comfortably but all of them can also be actually played and manipulated by the skillful to do wonders.
>>
>>342848750
maaaan I fucking love the combat system in ff13 (once it's fully accessible at least), but the map designer needs to be shot in the face

repeatedly

until dead
>>
>>342866327
>if the brainless way to do things allowed me to complete the game while only having problems with a total of two bosses (Bahamut and the robot thing in the forest with Lightning and Hope, and they only took me one retry each), it's not a good combat system
wrong

it just means the story is too easy

Optional bosses were fine and really allowed the combat system to shine. Doesn't make 90% of the game not dull, sadly
>>
>>342868530
>I only played shitty games
>>342868547
no you can't, unless you play on Easy
>>342868983
>look at me, I'm a True GamerTM who pretends his shitty game is deeper than it is to justify all the time spent learning "strategies" that, at most, make you beat a boss a minute faster

A combat system that only requires understanding the very fundamentals to BEAT IT COMFORTABLY is a shit combat system, end of story. You people sound like the Bamham games apologists: yes, you can beat the game just with Square and Triangle, but you don't get HIGH SCOREZ this way. Fuck that noise, give me an actually engaging combat system instead.
>>
>>342869624
If FF13 just had more to explore. If it was a string of Gran Pulses, with everything else staying the same. Man, it could've been a lot better.
>>
>>342870250
>If it was a string of Gran Pulses, with everything else staying the same
oh yeah

and for every gran pulse you would have a hub town where you'd get the quests instead of those faceless monoliths. Damn, that would have made for a great game.
>>
>>342868392
His review of FFXIII is so bad that I actually started defending the game. At one point he complains that we don't know how NPCs react with the savepoint shops
>>
>>342870341
Cause I liked the world of 13. I wanted to see more of the ruins. Or Cocoon. You just didn't get to see a whole lot and a whole lot that there was was kind of copy/pasta.
>>
>>342870548
>liked the world of 13
muh nigga, shit was interesting
>>
>>342868392
a retard who has no suspension of disbelief whatsoever and would rather spend twenty minutes (plus other five of shitty skits in costumes) talking about how weapon upgrade systems wouldn't make sense in real life than the actual game
Became famous for spending like half a hour of screentime to basically say "the draw system in FFVIII is boring"
>>
>>342870649
So, 14, I thought, fixed a lot of what was wrong with 13, even though 14 had to fix a lot of what was wrong with itself, but it was damn great nonetheless. 15, kind of has to go way way beyond what 13 even could've done. And it kind of looks like it's doing that or at least aiming for that. I do worry lore in 15 will be weak like 13. 13 needed lots of side quests if it would've wanted to fill out it's lore, but that would've been great. Hope 15 has something similar.
>>
>>342871225
From what I've seen so far, 15 needs alternative outfits for the maincast, because pretty much everything is positively homosex
>>
>>342871225
In all honesty I going into XV basically blind because I know it will be decent even if different. I love Squeenix but know not to hype them up
>>
There's an inherent difference between FFX's and FFXIII's linearity. In one, you're working towards a goal - the other you're just...kind of wandering?

In FFX, the linearity is a story element. You're fucking going to zanarkand. It's what the main protagonist wants, it's what the deutertagonist wants. You get curious about zanarkand and you WANT to go there because nobody shuts the fuck up about this dead city that you just saw alive. Then the tweeest happens and it becomes "oh fuck I don't want to go to zanarkand but we have to press on and there's nothing you can do about it. She's going to die"

In FFXIII you're just kind of jumping areato area running away from...nothing? maybe weird non-descriptive threats? and literally fucking everyone around you is manipulating you giving you a sense of lack of control.

I liked both
>>
>>342872613
Exactly
In XIII the linearity is a plot point, you are literally funneled into one direction because the bad guy wants you to do that and is manipulating everything in his power to make that happen
You're being played from the start and when you get to Pulse you're far away from Barthy's control so you're not into a corridor anymore
>>
An FF thread with no pissing contest of “muh FF is best”? And peoples who liked XIII? You guys are good people. Honestly I were put off from playing XIII because of reviews and shit, I did play it a little, hated the cast, but replayed it a few weeks ago, heck, I enjoyed it. Mainly I enjoyed the combat, it's just doesn't feel like I'm playing a turn based combat. It's not like I hated turn based, but being spoiled with modern ARPGs, I just can't into it anymore. Question, just reached Palumpolum, how long will I have to go until I can get to control all of the characters?
>inb4 not your blog
I don't give a fuck.
>>
>>342873670
except he said the opposite
also it's still reatrded. You can make the same plot point without sacrificing the gameplay
>>
>>342875709
I think you're still a little ways off. Palumpolum takes awhile to get through as well as the next area. Then you get control of your team at the end of that area I believe

Palumpolum had neat design though
>>
>>342876464
Thanks. Just reached the Carbuncle. Fucking hate those armadillo things and the healing flans. Question, equipments and shops, what's up with that, the shops really felt useless, hardly bought anything. Does the shop's inventory (equipments and items) gets better? In a sense that you actually have to buy new equips to make your characters stronger. Kinda odd that you can't buy the -tisols(at the moment), given how useful those are.
>>
>>342848453
I liked it. But mainly for the presentation (character and environment design, OST, that sexy as fuck menu). I got a soft spot for aesthetics.

Didn't care much for the story or linearity and the gameplay was serviceable.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (235 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
235 KB, 1280x720
The combat is just not remotely fun. I get what the paradigm system was meant to do, really I do, but it doesn't feel rewarding at all. The auto command is always the right answer, provided you've scanned the enemy, so your role in things is pretty minor. Then there's the eidolen battles which are just complete horseshit, requiring you to know the strategy to beat them before the battle begins. Weapon's suck, because you have no way of knowing which weapons are worth the investment to upgrade, and summons, which should be really cool, are costly to use and not intuitive at all.

And that's not even touching on the story, which requires reading hundreds of pages of background like a school assignment, and is so stupid by even final fantasy standards that it can scarcely be believed.

At least it looks pretty though.
>>
>>342877556
I think I just upgraded my base weapons (because I liked their design) and the armor I had equipped. You could buy parts from the shops to upgrade them.
>>
>>342877832
>And that's not even touching on the story, which requires reading hundreds of pages of background like a school assignment, and is so stupid by even final fantasy standards that it can scarcely be believed.
That's just there for lore reasons and people who want to delve in or a recap. Its completely optional
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.