[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this game supposed to be easy to beat but hard to do perfectly?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7
File: bayonetta_00333170.jpg (303 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
bayonetta_00333170.jpg
303 KB, 1600x1200
Is this game supposed to be easy to beat but hard to do perfectly?

I'm playing Bayonetta for the first time right now with very little action game experience (MGR was my first Platinum game, and I only beat God Hand afterwards), and I feel like it's really easy on normal difficulty. Dodge seems to have a million billion iframes and weave attacks do a shit ton of damage to everything.

Granted, I'm only on Chapter 5 so it might pick up later on. But I was expecting more of a challenge. It really should have had a Hard option.
>>
>>342709292
You have to finish it to unlock infinite climax difficulty.
And yes you should always start at the highest difficulty available, what are you, 12?
>>
>>342709387
I could only choose between very easy, easy and normal.
>>
>>342709452
Then come back when you have unlocked infinite climax. Have fun with getting your ass raped by Gracious and Glorious.
>>
>>342709590
okay
>>
>>342709641
Also a tip: You can unlock weapons and stuff in lower difficulty, so you might want to do that right now.
>>
File: 1454513826292.png (97 KB, 362x492) Image search: [Google]
1454513826292.png
97 KB, 362x492
>get stone trophies on a few missions in a row
>getting good scores on all the fights, but realize it's because I'm missing Alfheims
>try the Alfheims
>can't even come close to finishing them
>look it up
>"yeah you can't really do a lot of the Alfheims until second playthrough because you can't possibly have the weapons/moves required for them"

Fuck man this just lowers my motivation so much
Getting handed shitter trophies is so irritating
I love the combat but I think DMC handles its ranking a lot better

Does Bayo 2 cut out any of the QTEs? I can't stand how some missions just end with a "fuck you, if you don't see this QTE coming and hit the button in the one-second window we give you, you get a death and lose a rank and have to redo the entire 20 minute chapter"
>>
>>342709292
MGR is harder than Bayo 1. Bayo 1 is harder than Bayo 2.

so it would seem easy to you
>>
>>342709927
>"yeah you can't really do a lot of the Alfheims until second playthrough because you can't possibly have the weapons/moves required for them"
That's not true at all though.
>>
>>342709983
Too bad I won't get to play Bayo 2 anytime soon.
Only if the NX actually has games and is backwards compatible to hell.
>>
>>342710078
I dunno mang, the ones you have to do with a limited number of kicks and punches seems insane considering all I've got are the gap closers and witch twist.

Some of them I'll readily admit I'm just not very good at like the torture attack ones but fuck man, DMC4 didn't rank me on whether or not I did the secret missions and I really miss that.

I think secret missions should just give you the benefit of whatever item they hand you at the end, if they factor into the final score and are literally counted in front of your face, they don't seem very secret.
>>
>>342709927
Even without the Alfheims and hidden fights, you can get Gold statues fairly easily if you just stop sucking. You only get Stone for dying repeatedly.
>>
File: 1439945667449.png (68 KB, 139x175) Image search: [Google]
1439945667449.png
68 KB, 139x175
>>342709292
I've beaten Bayonetta 2 with decent scores no problem

But Bayonetta 1 has a lot of bullshit that messes with your score, like enemies jumping you from outta screen 0,5 seconds after the cutscene ended, enemies spawning behind other enemies, but hitting you through them, or a fucking lethal quicktime event out of nowhere at the end of a fight.

It wouldn't bother me if the game wasn't smearing every single mistake into your face like that, Bayonetta 2 did a much better job at this.
>>
>>342710321
I mean, like I said, I do decent in fights the vast majority of the time. Rarely anything below gold or silver. But the missions are so long that starting all the way over for a single death is a complete hassle, especially if it's from a QTE.
DMC handles it a lot better by having the missions usually be 5-10 minutes, and MGR lets you reset every single individual fight which is the only way I S-Ranked anything in that game.
>>
>>342710526
Before you die, pause, exit to title, continue from checkpoint. It'll start you from the current verse.
>>
>>342710870
I'm playing on PS3 unfortunately, so that's about an hour's worth of loading time on a good day
>>
>>342711005
My condolences.
>>
>>342711129
Look man, my brother was looking to buy a new console, and I says to him, get a Wii U, it's got all the good games
But he goes and buys a PS4
And I ain't shelling out for an entire console, I don't have that kinda money
>>
>>342711243
Can you play ps3 games on a ps4 now? Or are you just saying you had to default to your ps3?
>>
>>342711243
>get a Wii U, it's got all the good games
Why did you lie to him and try to make him get a legacy console?
>>
>>342711340
Defaulted to PS3
PS4 can only "run" PS3 games by subscribing to PS Now and streaming them to the console

>>342711415
Look man talk shit all you want but it's got the most exclusives that are actually worth playing
The only PS4 exclusive I wanted to play was Bloodborne, I've played through it, and now every other game he's gotten for it would either run better on my PC or is just mediocre
>>
>>342710870
That is bad fucking game design.
Seriously Bayonetta 1 is almost ruined to me because of that shit.
The mechanics and shit are great, but who the fuck thought having secret missions factor into your score is a good idea?
>I know what we need for our funpacked action game
>tedious backtracking
Goddamnit Kamiya, has no one told you you are not working on Resident Evil anymore?
>>
>>342711598
>it's got the most exclusives

Yeah but they are nintendo exclusives ewww

I got one used for $90 and all I have for it is Bayonetta 2 and wonderful 101. I also bought Last Story for the Wii. I ended up liking that game a lot
>>
>>342711629
>>I know what we need for our funpacked action game
>instant death qte checks in cutscenes
GENIUS IDEA KAMIYA
>>
>>342709292
>Is this game supposed to be easy to beat but hard to do perfectly?
Deliberately so, yes.

Beating the game is not very hard (at least until you get to Gracious and Glorious but that's only because they spend 70% of the game training you to rely on Witch Time and then rob you of your ability to use it and you have to relearn combat).

But getting Pure Platinum ranks will severely test your combat ability, exploration skill, and speedrunning prowess, even on lower difficulties.
>>
File: 3461461326.jpg (51 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
3461461326.jpg
51 KB, 480x640
>>342709292

Every single one of those types of games are like that. DMC, MGR whatever they're all easy af but to do them no damage max combo and most importantly with style is the challenge.
>>
File: 1462769561641.jpg (140 KB, 456x628) Image search: [Google]
1462769561641.jpg
140 KB, 456x628
>>342711005

>mfw PP'd PS3 version on IC
>>
>>342710281
I'm not sure which weapons would make those easier, other than the Shotguns, which are the second weapon you can get.
>>
>>342709292

Let's have this discussion again after you've met Glorious and Gracious.
>>
I like DMC3 difficulty setting

Die 3 times to the first boss and easy mode is unlocked
>>
>>342711629
The easy solution would have been to give the player, on death, two choices:

Retry from checkpoint
Reload from save

Where the latter would reload you where you were with no death penalty, and the former would function as it does in the actual game (death penalty accrues but the game restarts you with max HP and you keep accumulated halos and items).

I mean, Kamiya must have known people would quit-and-reload in pure plat run attempts, why hassle them?
>>
>>342710281
Use your charge modifiers and shortest strings; that Alfheim is teaching you to go P---------K--------P---------- for the bullet damage and early wicked weave; recycling that combo with high accuracy and utilizing dodge offset correctly will give you high damage output with a minimum of actual attack inputs.
>>
>>342709983
>MGR
>harder than anything
Making parry a context-sensitive attack command made it a total joke. Just mash toward + X and Raiden will attack until a parry is appropriate and then parry automatically.
>>
File: 1452288942142.jpg (53 KB, 403x403) Image search: [Google]
1452288942142.jpg
53 KB, 403x403
>tfw this thread got me the urge to play Bayonetta again
I've beating Bayo 1 and 2 about four times each now. I don't want nor can get plat, there is no reason for me to keep playing it. Please help.
>>
File: 6234235473.png (108 KB, 253x308) Image search: [Google]
6234235473.png
108 KB, 253x308
>>342714302

You know Bayonetta has that parry system right? But in Bayonetta you don't even have to press the attack button and you can get witch time off it too. Even worse in Bayonetta you can buffer parry cancels mid attack.
>>
>>342714620
But the timing is far less forgiving than in MGR.

MGR used timing closer to Bayo's dodge to make it accessible to the average player. The Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa has bat-within-tier timing, MUCH tighter than MGR's.

The reason this matters is in MGR, the timing is loose enough that mashing toward would be very likely to net a parry, while in Bayo getting a parry accidentally by mashing toward is not likely at all.
>>
>>342714612
If you want a reason to replay outside pure plats, try intentionally loading out with weapons you never use as your mains and accessories you don't normally run.

Makes it far more interesting.
>>
>>342715003

>But the timing is far less forgiving than in MGR.

Only on the witch time component. You can literally mash parries under any attack animation and it buffers them. If any enemy attacks from that direction then you will 100% not fail to parry. If you combine that with the Kilgores ability to stagger larger enemies it makes for an easy IC. Not PP of course but it's no harder than MGR on Revengeance. I'll still concede IC PP is harder than Revengeance S rank for sure.

Sam DLC Revengeance S rank blows them both out of the water though.
>>
>>342715179
>If any enemy attacks from that direction then you will 100% not fail to parry.
I've never successfull done this in Bayo 1, but my go-to for any fight that frustrated me in MGR was to mash toward + X and it never let me down.

Are you sure that a rapid series of toward taps is likely to net a parry? Maybe the angular tolerance is tighter in Bayo, IDK, but I was only ever able to parry if I did so with intention and focus.

I know bayo lets you parry through any animation (attacking, dodge cooldown, getting hit, whatever) but the actual conditions for the command never felt particularly forgiving.
>>
>>342715456

>Are you sure that a rapid series of toward taps is likely to net a parry? Maybe the angular tolerance is tighter in Bayo, IDK, but I was only ever able to parry if I did so with intention and focus.

100% sure, it's how I PP'd IC and beat Rodin. Kilgore charge shots and buffering parries under the charge. Give it a try it's a lot of fun.

I played the PS3 version so it might be low framerate allowing me to input more parry buffers? But it certainly worked for me.
>>
>>342715649
I played the WiiU version with Bayo 2 so IDK.

If that's the case then so be it, but my answer still stands because Moon is a late-game accessory and unlocking it requires you've ALREADY either beaten the game or performed quite well, whereas the MGR parry is a default command and part of the core gameplay system.
>>
>>342715765
One of my favorite parts of the WiiU port of Bayo1 was those nintendo costumes since Link's outfit has the parries built into it
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.