[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do some games on PC have such poorly optimized features?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: thewitcher3pc1jpg-4dfaf8.jpg (483 KB, 1043x1343) Image search: [Google]
thewitcher3pc1jpg-4dfaf8.jpg
483 KB, 1043x1343
Why do some games on PC have such poorly optimized features? I went back to replay this just for giggles with my new GTX 1070 and everything set on ultra was actually keeping my FPS around 25-35. What the fuck.

Then I found out about that "NVIDIA Hairworks" shit and disabled it and stable 60 all the way. This wasn't even 4k or anything, just standard 1080p. Why even include such a thing? 30FPS loss isn't worth it for cutscene hair gel unless they expect you to have a 1080 or Titan or some shit
>>
What's wrong with having features for highest tier cards? It makes it look less dated in 10 years too
>>
doesn't matter which game u play, nvidia's hairworks is always very demanding and worthless.
>>
Because future hardware can take advantage of it. It's the same reason The Witcher 2 has ubersampling even though no possible hardware at the time could use it with good framerates

>why is it on by default
fuck if i know
>>
>>342641892
I don't know what settings you used, but with my 980Ti, Hairworks on High with 2x Hairworks AA it only costs me ~3 fps.
>>
>>342641892
how's the new card bro? and what did you use before?
>>
>>342642118
>>342642136
>>342642195
I was just surprised since 1070s and 1080s are pretty relevant at the moment that it wrekt my FPS that badly.

>>342642302
I had it on 4x (or was it 8x I can't recall) maybe I'll try it again with 2x, it's not that big a deal really I can't even tell the difference
>>
>>342641892
Hairworks defaults to a 32x passthrough for every individual strand, you can set it to 8x in a config with it looking exactly the same (except for wolves look shitty as fuck lmao) and massive performance increase
>>
>>342642427
>>342641892
are you sure about this? My GTX 780 keeps around 30-40 fps at 1440p with geralt hairworks on, there has to be something fucky with your card

I am OC'd but not nearly enough to cause that kind of discrepancy
>>
>980 ti
>everything on ultra with hairworks off
>shadows set to high
silky smooth 60 fps
>shadows set to ultra
>instant 30 FPS hell

W H Y
H
Y
>>
>just for giggles

Are you retarded? The Witcher 3 is a good game, but its humor is fucking abysmal. It's literally midschool tier.
>>
>>342642962
I don't think you know what that means, anon.
>>
Speaking of Witcher 3, I get the weirdest fucking FPS drop with this shit. When I open up the menu (the one with glossary, alchemy, etc.) my FPS will just randomly drop to ~30 when I go back to the game itself, then if I just keep fucking around in the menu it'll go back to 60, but sometimes I have to quit the whole thing and restart it.

FIX PLS
>>
>>342641892
I've got a 970 and it runs on high 50's-60 fps
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.