[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So are we ever going to get a next gen portable gaming platform?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 7
So are we ever going to get a next gen portable gaming platform? I remember the current ones coming out when i was still in highschool and haven't heard about anything new since.
>>
>Still in high school
>Vita: 2012
>3DS: 2011
>>
>>342623742
>2012
4 years ago
>2011
5 years ago
>>
>>342623742
I don't understand what you are implying
>>
Considering things have only gotten worse since the 7th gen aside from handhelds, I'm gonna guess that this is the last dedicated handheld gen. Things have to get worse next gen somehow.
>>
Yes mostly because Nintendo is obsessed with Japan and they have Pokemon.

Iwata wanted the handhelds and console to work hand in hand eventually.
>>
Who the fuck knows? I don't think so, but I wouldn't be sad if they were gone either. While some handhelds have amazing libraries, I always hated to play on these shitty little plastic toys instead of just playing on my monitor or tv.
>>
>>342623742
Damn, nigga, u dum
>>
Without competition from Sony, why would Nintendo bother with the R&D costs of developing a new handheld? This is why monopolies are bad; they lead to stagnation and laziness.
>>
>>342624741

I never got this. I stopped feeling constrained by handheld limitations when they could handle 3D games, so the DS more or less.
>>
>>342625145
This kinda of.

Simply speaking there is no reason for nintendo to put out another handheld, it's not like 3ds owners are going to stop buying staple games that Nintendo puts on and it's not like sony wants to ruin the little niche the vita has carved out for it's self in the asian/jpn market. Sony is very unlikely to release another console, this is the stagnation cause by a lack of competition. This is why one company "winning" the console war is not a good thing. This is why this gen being dominated by sony is a bad thing.

Weirdly the Vita actually sees more releases than the 3ds, and I think will keep getting games as long as ps4 is a thing. Japanese/asia love the handheld. It's just not popular in the west. Probably because it was bundled with a shit game, given no advertising and cost and arm and leg to buy a memory card.
>>
>>342625607

Nintendo has a reason regardless - they've owned the handheld market since the Gameboy and Pokemon alone will push tens of millions of units into people's homes. They have the pedigree and the properties to make a handheld successful, they have for over 25 years now.
>>
>>342625145
>why would Nintendo bother with the R&D costs of developing a new handheld
Because they make money off hardware sales and a shiny next gen handheld = more money. It's like people forget how excited people get every next gen Pokemon on new hardware comes out. 3DS will be 6 years old next year.
>>
>>342625890
Except every handheld they have made sold less than the one before it. Nintendo can still make billions from software sales alone and their console market is too shakey to fuck around with the one thing they are doing right.
>>
>>342625195
I just don't like looking at a tiny ass screen when I could just play the games on a big screen. Like I did with every DS game through emulation.

It wouldn't be a problem if the games would get released for both, handhelds and consoles (and PC). Because then you have an option. Instead you are forced to play them on devices you don't care for.
Imagine if this was the case for consoles. Imagine you could only plug your sony console into tvs that are not larger than 20".

It's all personal preferences in the end. It only doesn't bug me if the portability aspect is a gameplay feature, but that isn't the case for 99.9% of handheld libraries, am I wrong? The only game that I can remember offhand is Boktai. I don't think anyone has any issues with playing pokemon games emulated. Fuck, back then we could even use the Super Game Boy for SNES to play gameboy games on the tv. That was amazing. The Gamecube had a similar thing.

If Nintendo had released a similar device for the Wii U I would have bought it instantly. I don't care about the Wii U library, but you can bet your salty balls that I would kill somebody to be able to play DS/3DS games on the Wii U.
>>
>>342626196

3DS has still sold enough units to justify the presence of a next gen Nintendo handheld. Hell, it's the best selling 8th gen platform as of this writing, largely in part because of its lead time on the other platforms but details.
>>
>>342623629
Eventually. Nintendo handhelds will sell as long as they have Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Dragon Quest, and Monster Hunter.

Just be prepared for a worse library than the 3DS.
>>
>>342626250

Eh, I never got the hubbub about bigger screens. They're alright I suppose but I've never really cared. I get caring about framerates but I couldn't care less about resolution or what have you. 3DS has like a 400x240 screen or something and I'm fine with that, let alone Vita's much better screen.
>>
>>342626196
Or they just could sell a new handheld + software and make even more money. I don't why people seem so desperate to keep the 3DS around for another half decade.
>>
>>342627383
Resolution is another thing, I'm talking solely about screen size.
If I have the choice between playing on my tv/monitor, and playing on a tiny 5 inch screen, I will always choose the big screen.

Another thing that bothers me is that you cannot use a different controller for handhelds. What if I think the buttons on every iteration of DS are hot garbage? On a console, I can use third party controllers. On Handhelds, you have to mod the thing yourself, which will cost you your warranty in most cases.
>>
>>342623841
>>342624093
>>342624931
He's implying they're young as fuck.

Get off of my goddamn lawn you little cunts.
>>
>>342627843
I have a simliar issue. Not the screens but with the controllers. I like the games on the 3ds but the psvita is so much more comfortable for me to hold
>>
>>342627843

To each their own. I have a PS3 and a Vita and I tend to buy the Vita versions when I have a choice. I'm gonna get Odin Sphere eventually and I'm gonna get it on Vita, for example. I guess I just really like handhelds or something.
>>
>>342623629
I hate my vita
>>
>>342628112
And that's fine. I love the games on handhelds too. I just wish I wouldn't have to jump through hoops for this shit, you know?
>>
>>342628246
Is it true you have to use a sony memory card?
>>
>>342623629
>So are we ever going to get a next gen portable gaming platform?

No because faggots are scared of phones. Which is stupid because phones don't have the battery for games+phone work, and don't have physical controls.

I mean Sony pretty much ditched the Vita out the gate yet its still getting games to this day, and it's the console I've played the most on ever.

Purely because the Vita is running simple phone hardware and is easy to port to. So all they'd need to do is release an updated Vita with 2016 hardware, sell it for 150$ and call it a day.
>>
its simple anons

multiplatform games buy on the console, handheld exclusives buy on the handheld.

I cant play Bravely Default on my boner,ps4, 360, ps3 etc, not Etrian Oddyseys etc.

and in the case of quality controllers, at least for me I have never broken any of my handhelds, nor fucked up the buttons, then again I do control myself when I play so all my controllers and handhelds have always lasted me for decades.
>>
>>342628457
you are forgetting that people dont buy the portables till they are hacked so they can play all the games they have been holding out off.

I mean, its ok to buy a 400 console for 1 game, but its not ok to buy a 100-200 handheld for 10+ games.
>>
File: Umaru_.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
Umaru_.gif
2 MB, 500x281
PSP and Vita were great. Shame this is probably the end of the line for Sony portables.
>>
>>342628638
>you are forgetting that people dont buy the portables till they are hacked
Except that's wrong.
>>
>>342626250
I play my 3ds games on my 24" TV....katsukity capture board ftw
>>
NX is coming out this March. Replacing both Wii U and 3DS
>>
They're called phones people. Phones have rendered these things obsolete. Why do you think Nintendo is tapping into the mobile market?
>>
File: nintendo-mobile.jpg (41 KB, 630x418) Image search: [Google]
nintendo-mobile.jpg
41 KB, 630x418
>>342623629
Hell no this Gen is the end for Handhelds. Sony already gave up and now Nintendo is starting to make Games for Mobile. Mobile Gaming has taken over dedicated Handheld Consoles. Its really sad cause i really want to buy a 3DS right know
>>
>>342628804
>Phones have rendered these things obsolete
Not with those shit libraries.
>Why do you think Nintendo is tapping into the mobile market?
Stakeholders demanded it.

I wouldn't mind phones replacing handhelds, if phone games were worth shit.
>>
>>342628751
Wrong, only replacing wii u...remember, amd new arc and new soc coming, nx is going to use vega tier gpu and a sempron for cpu. ..
>>
>>342628804
As long as phones are restricted to digital only stores and have no buttons there will always be a place for handhelds.

>>342628879
Then buy one.
Phones have jack shit for games.
>>
>>342628879
Wrong as usual...phone gaming only replaced f2p games...no one takes phone games seriously....Kingdom hearts dream drop distancr is better than unchained chi....no problem.
>>
>>342623742
vita also launched in 2011 though
>>
>>342629145
>no one takes phone games seriously
Real gamers don't do but casuals and a lot of comanies do. Sony even created a whole new studio mainly to develop mobile games with his own IP's. The only reason why nintendo keeps making them is pokemon but who knows? If Pokemon GO ends up being a complete sucess then its all over
>>
>>342628879
I'm in the same boat. I mean, I'll probably get one soon since they're dirt cheap just to play Ace Attorney games, but I can't really warrant the purchase of a dedicated handheld since my phone is more than enough for my needs on the go.
>>
>>342629145
>...no one takes phone games seriously..

Pretty sure phone games make more money than both the 3ds and vita combined.
>>
>>342628457

> out the gate

Sony tried with the Vita as far out as Oreshika 2. Freedom Wars actually got marketing in Japan and before that there were games like Gravity Rush, Tearaway, Wipeout 2048, LBP Vita, Killzone Mercenary, Uncharted Golden Abyss, Resistance Burning Skies, Unit 13, Soul Sacrifice/Delta, and even some smaller games like Escape Plan and Murasaki Baby. They made tons of mistakes but they definitely tried to make Vita work in its early years.
>>
>>342629409
Yeah plus a phone can emulate all DS games perfectly. I just want to buy a 3DS for the new Pokemon Games but i'm not 100% sure yet
>>
>>342629381
Doesn't Sony own that Fate game?
>>
File: wtf.jpg (21 KB, 736x468) Image search: [Google]
wtf.jpg
21 KB, 736x468
>>342629776
>Sony tried with the Vita

SCEA had not idea what to do with the vita. They kept marketing it as a AAA handheld machine. People bought it expecting that and were turned off the see 12 fps ports of games they already owned.
>>
>>342629894
if they got activision to port real CoD games instead of make that declassified shit, people would've been all over it
>>
>>342628804
>>342628879

So long as there is a market that has a taste for things like physical buttons and quality software, phones and their current market won't take over shit. They're tapping into a completely different market.
>>
>>342629793

Pokemon on 3DS is shit, look into other games if you want a 3DS
>>
>>342630046
People would have been all over it if it was bundled with a good fucking game and that that trash shit port of BL2.

Vita was honestly ok, it had it's problems but so did the 3ds. The main issue was no one wants to play 12 fps ports of ps3 games.
>>
>>342629894

They had an idea, it was just a piss poor one. They took a handheld, which is traditionally Japanese as fuck in outlook, and aimed for a western audience with it at first. That shifted when, surprise surprise, Japan bought and supported the Vita more than anywhere else and niche Japanese devs took to it like flies to shit. A few years later, and you see the results; the western approach fell through while the Japanese one ran strong. Sony said fuck it, indies and Japanese devs are doing their thing and none of our stuff is going over well, let the third parties have at it.
>>
>>342625927
The return on hardware is shit. Software is where the profit lies.
>>
>>342632020
There's no reason to stick with the 3DS anymore. Not to mention it's hacked now just like the DS was. Just release a next gen system, announce Animal Crossing and some other games and you're moving hardware and software fast again. If people had that kind of logic, we'd have just been stuck with the fucking DS/PS3/360/Wii in 2016.
>>
>>342632652
Animal crossing is moving to phones.
>>
>>342632753
Eat a dick. They literally said it's gonna work with the Animal Crossing they make on their dedicated gaming hardware. I bet you think Pokemon is too because GO. Is that why they promised integration with mainline Pokemon in the future and not promising it for the games coming in several months?
>>
>>342628638

I'm pretty sure the Vita had an attach rate over 10 in its early years.

Right now it must be enormous. Is there any site that has that info?
>>
>>342623742
Also I would hardly consider these next few anyway, more like PSP.5 and NDS.5, compare the leaps in hardware from previous gens to this one,.
>>
>>342623841
>2012 was a decade ago
>you now feel old
>>
>>342629145
The Mobile game industry is insanely larger than the console market, whether that be home or handheld.

Its stupid I know
>>
>>342623629
hopefully the next Nintendo Handheld will be comfy as a GBA or ds Lite. OG 3ds is fucking shit. And please add real sticks and not the pad shit!
>>
>>342630046
COD wasn't gonna save shit. That audience is the kind that wants the "latest" graphics and shit on their big screen TVs.

I'm a handheld faggot and even I get frustrated the limitations compared to say holding a real controller or something.
>>
I doubt Sony would make another handheld after what happened to the Vita. They even completely stopped supporting it and moved a bunch of it's exclusives to PS4.

Nintendo will most likely make a new one. Even though they don't have to compete with Sony anymore, they still have to compete with smartphones, to an extent, so they don't really have the monopoly imo.

Here's an interesting quote from Reggie on the matter.
“These days the consumer has a high-powered device in their pocket. They've got access to a range of content, a lot of it free to start. Why am I going to buy another thing to play games? Unless it's unique, unless it's differentiated, unless it's providing me content that I can't get anywhere else. That's what we need to provide in order to compel the consumer to invest their time and their money into our business.”

Source: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/herocomplex/la-et-electronic-entertainment-expo-2016-20160610-snap-story.html
>>
The New 3DS is technically a new platform that was released in the US in 2015.
>>
File: Portable emulation smaller.jpg (932 KB, 1920x2203) Image search: [Google]
Portable emulation smaller.jpg
932 KB, 1920x2203
>>342623629
You're probably getting something like pic related. I wouldn't really mind if they release docks for phones, these handhelds are ridiculously underpowered.
>>
File: zero.png (546 KB, 853x481) Image search: [Google]
zero.png
546 KB, 853x481
>>342635028
wait a minute I've seen that before....
>>
>>342635213
I dunno if they're just trolling us or what. Like I legitimately see them doing this.
>>
>>342635475
well anon, would you be opposed to this? it looks like it would fix an issue I have with handhelds, which is you're screwed if a button stops working. can't just use a different controller, but with this you probably could
>>
>>342623629
>So are we ever going to get a next gen portable gaming platform?
Yes, it's called NX. It's a family of hardware, both stationary and non stationary.
>>
>>342629005
>Wrong
Neither of you know what it is.

>only replacing wii u
Nintendo said it's replacing neither. They've made it clear it's a third pillar hardware.

I can't wait for NX to finally be revealed, so all the misinformation ends.
>>
File: Sony Just.jpg (76 KB, 580x670) Image search: [Google]
Sony Just.jpg
76 KB, 580x670
>>342623629
Hopefully never since I hate like 5 games total to play on my vita so far plus they would probably start charging me to play online for the next one.

I really don't give a shit about graphics especially for a portable console.
>>
>>342636754
>this much delusion
>>
>>342635767
i don't mind myself, I dunno if people that leave their house will want that. looks kind of big.
>>
>>342623629
Really? NX rumours have been wild that there are both console and portable versions.
>>
>>342629596
What you quoted and your response are un related.
>>
The Wii U gave me hope that a future console might just be a handheld with a dock carrying beefier hardware. It's not happening now, but I'm sure it's what they want in the future. That being said, I wonder how they will handle multiple players and if they would sell the handheld separately.
>>
>>342623742
>wow get off my board you 20 year olds
>>
>>342624583

Mobile nigga
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.