[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went right?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 10
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 250x313) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 250x313
What went right?
>>
>>342610206
Nothing to do besides doing main missions.
Hanging out with friends is useless with little benefits. Side missions are too few and not worth doing.
Money is useless besides buying guns.
Piss filter.
I could go on.
>>
It had the best MP aside from SAMP
>>
physics maybe

GTA IV was a mistake
>>
>>342610206
The story and characters were a lot better than 5
>>
>>342611097
this
worst GTA
>>
>>342610206
Physic
mods
multiplayer
good writing
>>
>>342610206
Good introduction to GTA V
>>
>>342610206
Good, believable characters with well defined goals, a barrel of fun physics engine, and in the ballad of gay tony, helicopters.
Really, it's my favorite three games in the series but that might be because I was 12 at the time IV came out.

Actually, scratch that, IV didn't stick in my memory much, outside of the main character. But TBOGT was awesome. It combined the best of what IV had to offer and made it fun, without becoming the unfocused mess V is
>>
Everything
>the music
>the bowling
>the funny magic show shit
>The awesome DLC
>The great story and charecters
>The physics
>That great driving and shooting that made car chases great
>The great pedestrians that are still fun and aren't total pricks like in V

Everything went right. So very right.
>>
>>342610928
>He doesn't get 6 star wanted levels and doesn't know the thrill of escape
Don't bother responding with lies. I know you don't.
>>
>>342610206
Everything. Shame about V.
>>
File: 1451677445405.jpg (43 KB, 284x341) Image search: [Google]
1451677445405.jpg
43 KB, 284x341
>>342610206
>GTA race
>melee only deathmatches
>one of the few examples of a game with DLC done right
>physics engine
>pretty good gunplay for a GTA
>soundtrack

I give zero fucks when someone calls me contrarian hipster for liking IV. I liked it ever since it came out and still do, one of my favorite games of last gen.
>>
How does the story compare to the Sopranos or the Godfather? I'll play it if it's a good crime drama, but I don't want violence for the sake of violence.
>>
>>342613064
Last arc in Alderney (Game's New Jersey) gives a very Sopranos kind of vibe.
>>
>>342612956
>dlc done right
This. The free shit for GTA online is nice, but if you don't like online it kinda sucks. We probably never will get a story expansion because of it. And the two dlcs for 4 had a lot of content
>>
The multiplayer was so basic yet SO much more fun than the entirety of GTA V online.
I spent hours just fucking around at the airport with randoms online. Didn't have to worry about money or ammo, just go crazy and dick eachother over.
>>
>well written compared to other games in the series
>liberty city was great
>actual interiors of buildings
>the ballad of gay tony
>>
>>342610206
8 years retrospect

/thread
>>
The car physics were incredible.
>>
File: 1422897297126.jpg (60 KB, 550x366) Image search: [Google]
1422897297126.jpg
60 KB, 550x366
>GTA IV is nearly 10 years old
Jesus christ
>>
File: 1440138002852.jpg (28 KB, 550x366) Image search: [Google]
1440138002852.jpg
28 KB, 550x366
>tfw remember your first day of gta4's multiplayer
>playing gta race, deathmatch and having so much fun
>this was 8 years ago
>>
>>342614060
You can't /thread yourself you colossal faggot
You're also wrong
>>
>>342614312
Hello newfag. Did they not yet hand out the fliers on how its cyclical to hate the latest iteration of a game series while adoring the previous entry?
>>
Physics
Characters
Story
Physics
Minigames
Physics
>>
>Evolved the story to more than "SHEEEIIIT NIGGGUH" and "HEY REMEMBER THE 80s NO YOU DONT BUT LETS PRETEND"
>Combat was made not shit
>Physics
>Immersive world
>Properly done DLC + 3 way story
>>
>>342614720
Just give us a name senpai
>>
>>342616185
Otomeyogatari Just watch out, you might develop a need for more and feel emptiness inside while waiting for a new chapter.
>>
File: 1461089252517.jpg (47 KB, 404x368) Image search: [Google]
1461089252517.jpg
47 KB, 404x368
>>342614720
I require more
>>
>>342616464
*Otoyomegatari
Fuck, I am too drunk to write it correctly.
>>
>>342610206
TECHNOLOGY and story
>>
>>342611672
I just very recently played through all 3 games.

LatD <4 <TBoGT

4 had a much bigger storyline and more content because it's the main game, but Gay Tony was fucking amazing; the best music and general theme, best minigames (running the club and spending time in them was awesome), best characters, funnest variety if missions, just an amazing all around experience.

Lost and the Damned was okay, but kind of sucked compared to the other 2.

>Jim dies offscreen after helping you escape from Ray

That's not okay Rockstar, fuck you.
>>
I could legitimately write a pretty long essay about why GTA IV is a fantastic game but for the purpose of this thread:

>There's an actual sense of progression. The city opens up over time. You get better weapons over time. The beginning is slow and features very little actions, things only escalate throughout the game. Compare this to GTA V where you get car chases and shootouts and can access the whole map from the very beginning. No incentive to keep playing because you can do everything from the very beginning.

>The satire ist actually effective because it's juxtaposed with a somewhat serious story. The story is actually somewhat like a serious crime drama set in an absurd world. Which makes you actually care about this world and the people in it. GTA Vs story ist action movie shlock throughout.

>Actual characters with story arcs and motivations and goals and shit. GTA V only characterized the characters outside of the main trio in how they relate to the protagonists. There are no characters like the McReary Family, Dwayne, Brucie... it's only people you are working for, people you are working against and people who work with you, supporting characters like Michaels Family or Trevors friends ar incredibly one note.

>The story actually makes coherent sense. Antagonists are set up properly, story arcs are followed through, characters don't just drop out of the story after a few missions. GTA V had a bunch of stuff that seemed to go somewhere but never did (Martin Madrazo who was set up as a villain and then just dissapeared, that whole thing about that Chinese triad boss who betrayed Trevor and then dissapeared before he was brought up at the end, Devin Weston who you were working for only one mission before he decided he wants to kill you and only two missions before you had to kill him.)
>>
> cousin
> bowling
pick one
>>
>>342617908
>Pick bowling
>Right after accepting it call back telling that I cant go bowling with him and cancel it
>receive no friendship penalty

I wonder how many people knew you could do that.
>>
>>342616960
>technology
Well after IV it went downhill from there
V only has graphical esthetics (and some realistic things like the car cooling sound after driving) but IV has the realistic GTA yet.
>>
>>342618549
>Collisions and driving physics in GTA V
It was GTA SA all over again except I could swallow that on PS2.
>>
>>342618660
V was meant only for console (the arcadey driving style and that unrealistic collision) and not realistism. But you know PC gamers guys demanding port to PC.
>>
>>342617250
>Jim died offscreen
You kill him as Niko in one of the main missions in 4, that's his onscreen death.
Agreed with your ranking, just gonna point out that BoGT introduced replayable story missions with rankings which is a great idea for when you're in the post game and need something to do.
>>
>>342618761
Primary consolefag myself but it was a disgrace after GTA IV.
That said you should have visited GTA forums, there were people all around defending arcade physics, calling other kids who never driven a car and shit like that.
Shit was hilarious and gave me couple of days of entertainment.
>>
File: 1435847648067.webm (2 MB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
1435847648067.webm
2 MB, 720x405
>>342610206
its not what went right with this but rather what went wrong with 5. All the the great things in 4 werent improved upon and in some cases scrapped. It did fix a lot of glaring flaws 4 had and added some nice new thing but it felt like a case of one step forward one step back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWVtZJo-HqI

Summarises it well. Lack of interiors, police attacking for no reason, police tactics removed, pit maneuver went from an actual thing they try to do to it automatically locking your wheels at right angles when police come into contact with you, car damage to the car +environment gone, proper ragdoll physics when falling and going off bikes etc removed, pedestrian reactions to car bumps, parkour elements gone, instant explosions for all air vehicles at the slightest touch (no more flying a helicopter after your tail got knocked off).

I loved 4 but it had some serious flaws, 5 imo was a fuckup when they decided to take back some great things. Most off all with 5 i feel like i was shortchanged because of their focus with online. Its a money maker so i dont blame them but to have features in online that are completely absent from what has always been the bulk of the game was disappointing.
>>
>>342619325
Police in general was a fuckup. Constant homing in on your location despite no witnesses. Able to hear your silenced weapon on a mountain top. Able to shoot you as you drive past at 200km/h with perfect accuracy.

>inb4 git gud

I will when cops stop spawning infront of me
>>
>>342610994
>start game
>choose what part of the city you want or the whole map if you please
>choose weapons available
>choose weather
>police on or off
>choose what type of blips on the map you want
>choose default radio station
>start game
>free roam and have fun
>one person votes to race
>vote begins on next game mode
>go from game mode to game mode with the same lobby and then return to free roam when you tire of it
>only diff between a high level dude and a newfag is the cool hat he has

Fuckin A it was great. Then we got the shit that was gta5
>you must buy a car
>you must buy a gun
>you must buy bullets
>to do so you will need to grind these missions
>you killed someone, thats not nice
>join lobby and someone is running around with a tank and rpg while you have no gun because you dont want to do shitty repetitive mission

Whos fucking idea was this
>>
>>342612097
>>That great driving and shooting that made car chases great

you dont like the every car handles like a supercar feeling of 5?
>>
>>342617394
>Dwayne

Fuck man his arc had me feeling like no other.

You haven't played GTA IV in years, meaning Dwaynehasn't had a friend in years.

Did Kate or Roman die in your game?
>>
>>342619982
>>you killed someone, thats not nice

This.

It's GTA, for fucks sake.

If I want to blow up some Euro trash faggot's hot pink and chrome super car let me blow it up, that fuckboi is insured, instead the game gives you a literal dunce cap for fucking things up in GTA
>>
>>342620161
>Did Kate or Roman die in your game?
One of them has to die, there is no way to avoid it.
>>
barely anything
>>
>>342620394
Its embarrassing. They forgot what made the gta4 online so great, that you could pick up and play at anytime after release and dick around. You didnt need to invest insane amounts of time to have 'fun'. You could jump on 3 years after release and have a blast dropping grenades past people while in this one im spanked because i did what gta has always been about; fucking around.

Its almost like there is some kind of disconnect from their sense of humor/vibe of the game and the rules of the game. Have fun,dick around, have a blast! but dont do it in the typical manner we expect you to
>>
>>342620561
I know, meant which one of them died when you played it.

>Game makes you pick between them and then fucking kills the one you chose

>Take the money
>Roman dies
>Game cuts to black
>Niko wakes up in Bohan in his bum clothes crying

fugg
>>
>>342612956
My nigga
Ballad of Gay Tony is GOAT
>>
>>342620662
>They try and sell you ingame $$$ as a microtransaction
>Everyone keeps discovering new ways to make mad bank
>>
>/v/ hated GTA IV when it originally released
>constant flood of people shitting on IV
>GTA V releases
>/v/ loves GTA IV

I can't wait for the next GTA so we can talk about how great V was.
>>
>>342617394
>The city opens up over time.
People will complain about this but i still remember the first time i dropped off playboy and i realised i was in the big city. That sense of awe as you drive around exploring the concrete jungle, seeing the docks, the projects, central park etc was amazing and this made each new area that opened up all the more amazing.

>antagonists
that russian fuck calling you over the story, reminding you hes there and out to get you was brilliant. nothing of the sort in 5, infact the final showdown where you have to kill each person had me wondering who half of them were and why i had to kill them; no presence through the story.
>>
>>342611492
>johnny klebitz
>brucie kibbutz

How fucking lazy do you have to be?
>>
>>342620850
the amount of money theyre making means theyll never go back
>>
>>342620716
Why would anyone take the money? By the end of the game you already had more money than you could possibly spend and you get teased the whole game about killing Dimitri.
>>
>>342621056
You also get told throughout the whole game that Roman is an incompetent fuck who can't stop throwing all his fucking money away. You weren't taking the money for yourself, you were taking it to stop your loveable fuckwit cousin from drowning in gambling debt.

Plus, I liked to imagine that Niko could better himself, not be a mad killer for all his life, just like Roman and Kate said, so I tried to put the Dimitri thing aside.
>>
>>342611492
>>342611097
babies can't play gta 4
>>
>>342620161
Played it twice. I think Kate died on my first playthrough. I went after Dimitri, I remember that. I genuinely wanted to settle the score with him.
>>
>>342619982
>only diff between a high level dude and a newfag is the cool hat he has

holy fuck this.
>gtao
>free aim/ auto aim
>higher level shits on lower level with 1/5 of health higher level

it's almost as if rockstar wanted to kill the game as fast as they could. Whatever happened to equal and balanced fun?
>>
>it is another /v/ is contrarion episode

jesus christ, don't you get bored of playing pretend everyday?
>>
File: 1465761221516.jpg (94 KB, 491x500) Image search: [Google]
1465761221516.jpg
94 KB, 491x500
>>342620764
>tfw remember being hyped for tbogt and playing the multiplayer for 12 hours straight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcDY7SCLWcc
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.