[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>in 5 years time /v/ will claim pic related is a great game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
File: skyrimhdr.jpg (26 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
skyrimhdr.jpg
26 KB, 460x215
>in 5 years time /v/ will claim pic related is a great game just like they do with Morrowind and to a lesser extent Oblivion

Prove me wrong.
>>
>Prove me wrong.

Ok see you in five years cuck
>>
>Prove me wrong.

What's to prove? It's difficult to mod Morrowind, Oblivion had several issues that could mostly be fixed with mods.

I liked Oblivion mostly because I could run around and punch people in the face. Skyrim mods are half-assed when it comes to HtH.
>>
Skyrim is good until you've done all the major questlines, and then there's really nothing else to do
>>
>>342578631
If Skyrim wasn't critically acclaimed or massively popular /v/ would consider it a flawed gem.

you know it's true
>>
Nostalgia fagging worked with Morrowind because the previous TES fanbase was small and insignificant, so the Morrowind crowd filled the "hardcore/old-school" role and there were few to tell them they were wrong

Nostalgia fagging for Skyrim won't work because the Morrowind fanbase is strong and fanatic and will hate on it forever. Skyrim hate is part of their identity
>>
If they continue to make things worse, then sure. Just like the incomprehensible badness of Star Wars 7 gave people a new appreciation for the prequels... If Elder Scrolls 7 is to Skyrim as Skyrim is to Morrowind, then of course people will remember it fondly.
>>
>>342578631
The only that will happen is if all the older fags leave and only the new generation is left.
Because five years ago people were shitting on Skyrim for all the same reasons they do today.
People were shitting on Oblivion's generic fantasy setting, scaling and ugly ass characters but praised it's quests.
Morrowind was loved by many for it's in depth world, hated by faggots that complained about missing and walking too slow and that would quit early on.
>>
>>342579456
>complain about dice rolls and travel speed
>not a genuine complaint
>>
>>342578775
>It's difficult to mod Morrowind, Oblivion had several issues that could mostly be fixed with mods.
Utter fucking horseshit

Mods in Morrowind were easy as shit to install, felt like part of the game (as there was no voice acting), and as a result were much more complex and ambitious.

Mods in Skyrim are often big projects with teams that regularly release trailers, alpha and beta releases, and progress reports, and use community feedback to go from there.

Oblivion modding is so optimised that no matter what manager or installation process you use, something will be fucked up, half the people had no idea what NAVmesh is and just released their crap and called it a day, none of the quests have proper voice acting so it feels totally out of place. And on top of that, there were barely any ambitious mods, as the vast majority were effortless weebshit garbage. Because Oblivion is the one mainline TES game that utterly crapped on the lore and exisitng world, half the kiddies were unaware it was even there.
>>
File: SKRM.png (168 KB, 329x454) Image search: [Google]
SKRM.png
168 KB, 329x454
It's already on every single greatest video games of all times list what the fuck does it matter

doesn't matter if you hate or love it the game has left it's mark on the video game industry for ever
>>
>>342578631
It's better than Fallout 4, and that's how it's going to be remembered. Every time bethesda does anything new, they fucking regress further and further gameplay wise. Every new beth game comes out, the old one is remembered as "well at least it's not the new one"

Morrowind - At least it's not Oblivion
Oblivion - At least it's not skyrim
Fallout 3 - At least it's not Fallout 4
New Vegas - At least it's not Fallout 3
>>
>>342579603
That's why I called them faggots.
>>342579292
If that stupid theory of your is true why not Oblivion?
Shouldn't all complaints apply to it too, but it has a whole different set of critiques and none of the ones Skyrim gets are wrong either but the one thing they do share is that they removed weapons, spells and abilities from the previous titles, that's true of every subsequent Bethesda game though.
>>
>>342579915
I can't tell whose reading comprehension is off but what I'm saying is that the movement speed and dice rolls are genuine respectable complaints, not just faggot casual 'le not real gamers' whiny bs
>>
>>342579603
Having pseudo-random numbers in a video game is not a serious complaint. I mean we could talk about how statistics is a thing you do when you want to forego knowing anything about the problem you're studying, but that's the sort of discussion that unravels most of the civil religion if taken seriously. And yes, random-number-based RPG mechanics are a way of avoiding having to explicitly model complex dynamics, but what alternative do you suggest? Foregoing complex dynamics entirely? Because that's been done, and it's called Skyrim.
>>
>>342578631
>will claim pic related is a great game

its forgone conclusion and fallout 4 is the writing on the wall. i guarantee you next tes will have build mode to make outposts to shoot down dragons, even dumber perks, and the guild quests will be exact same radiant shit as fallout 4. skyrim will become a full on masterpiece because it will actually be the last rpg beth ever makes.
>>
>>342580253
guy u replied to
this is actually a solid argument you made

I suppose I'd be in favor of a combat system that took player skill into account. In that regard both Morrowind and Skyrim are faulty.
>>
>>342578631
Correction friend, they already do.
>>
>>342580138
I didn't catch that the second sentence was green somehow.
Well it would be like complaining that Fallout is turn based, or that you can miss shots.
Some people don't like those things but it's how the game operates, if you don't like it you don't' like it but you can't really call it a flaw.
If your character is slow for example it's because you created a character with a low speed stat.
>>
>>342580478
But what skill do you want to account for? Stat systems are built around testing one's, I guess, modeling and optimization skills. If you want something other than that, you should probably be playing puzzle, adventure, or shooting games.
>>
File: no enb.png (2 MB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
no enb.png
2 MB, 1600x900
>>342578631
You don't have to wait 5 years. I claim Skyrim is a great game.
>>
>>342579695
>that no matter what manager or installation process you use, something will be fucked up

Can confirm here too, half my mods in Oblivion either don't work at all, are geometrically fucked or just crash the game entirely.
>>
>>342580795
>Stat systems are built around testing one's, I guess, modeling and optimization skills.

Doesn't have to be the sole purpose. Some RPG's prefer being middle-areas to action games, others solely strategy based (example: turn-based) or anything between. Nothing has to be so black-and-white.
>>
>>342581067
In my experience, "multi-paradigm" gives you the worst of both worlds. For example, mechanically speaking, Deus Ex has gotten better as it's removed more of its RPG conceits. (Its story has gotten worse with each game, though that's a different problem.) Or likewise, the combat in Final Fantasy Tactics is basically orthogonal to its JRPG storytelling aspirations, so the two things just happen to reside in the same game and largely detract from each other. That its story is good has nothing to do with spamming CT-5-Holy with your party of calculators. The issue is that a particular game is developed along a certain set of assumptions, and multi-paradigm violates those assumptions while not replacing them with anything substantial, so you just end up with something worse.
>>
>>342579912
>It's better than Fallout 4

Yeah, man, I loved how in vanilla Skyrim I could build my own village and even design my own Dwarven Automatons follower. Or how companions were all unique and how they reacted to your actions. Or how I could wear armor over my mage robes, or increase my strength to be better at unarmed combat.
I loved all these things in Skyrim.

>>342579915
>If that stupid theory of your is true why not Oblivion?

Oblivion fans are trying to fit in the "hardcore" bullshit to, but they will fail.
>>
>>342578631
you're wrong.
skyrim is already a great game, i don't have to wait 5 years to claim it

oblivion > skyrim > morowind
>>
>>342582032
>even defending fallout 4 in jest
Are you on crack? Or just from shithole Boston?
>>
Skyrim is and will always be better than Oblivion, but infinitely shit anyway.
>>
>>342578631
You're absolutely right because I see plenty of people championing Oblivion as a great game on /v/ and Oblivion was always shit.
>>
File: 1449686454336.png (136 KB, 540x350) Image search: [Google]
1449686454336.png
136 KB, 540x350
>>342582221

I'm not even American.
>>
>>342579017
>skyrims good until you beat the game

Wow that's some deep insight anon
>>
>>342579695
>Hardly any ambitious mods
Fuck off. Better Cities and Unique Landscapes have zero competition from Skyrim or Morrowind ,(Tamriel Rebuilt is the biggest Morrowind mod and even then it has fuck all to do in it, belongs as a modders resource). Sure you can't just download 100 mods in an hour and expect it to work but that should be expected.
>>
I thought most of /v/ still fucking hated Oblivion?
>>
File: 1442892884902.jpg (137 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1442892884902.jpg
137 KB, 400x400
>see poise+stagger+roll mod
>"oh shit that could make the melee actually fun"
>install it and run fnis
>"ERROR(9): Index was outside the bounds of the array."
>>
>>342584512
Dark Brotherhood and Thieves guild questlines were their respective best in the franchise, and shimmering isle was great. The rest of it was shit
>>
>>342578631
in 5 years /v/ will be entirely populated by people for whom skyrim was their first and only "rpg"
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.