[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people call the PS1 the PSX?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: scph7502.bin_.png (412 KB, 1280x587) Image search: [Google]
scph7502.bin_.png
412 KB, 1280x587
Why do people call the PS1 the PSX?
>>
thats what it was gonna be called originally
>>
>>342515448
Because it was the console's original project name, and the gaming media itself adapted the term and used it all the way up until PS2 came around.
>>
because when you see it you turn x degrees and walk away
>>
>>342515617
Why not just call it the PS?

What does the extra letter actually accomplish?
>>
>>342515880
Same thing as with NDS, GCN, etc. They just stuck, plus PS kinda sounds like PC.
>>
>>342515880
Because PS is a brand now, not a device. PS1 became the proper term once PS2 was released, and PSX was used before that.
>>
>>342516223
>pee es sounds like pee see
>>
In Japan it was called PS or Playstation,PSX is a term that Gen Z faggots made up.
>>
>>342515448
Because the PS1 was absolute SEX.
>>
>>342516361
it actually does.
Even more in some other languages.
>>
>>342515448
Nobody would've called the console "The PS1" before the PS2 was announced and saying "The Playstation" might've lead to confusion as to whether you were talking about the brand or console.

Also, Playstation X, was a term that was used in some advertisements early on and journalist kind of clung onto the PSX abbreviation.
>>
>>342515448
PS1, PSX, that other PSX, PSOne...
Fuck that whole naming convention 2bh
>>
>>342515448
It says PSone right on the console
>>
File: R-Type_Delta_JP_Cover.jpg (126 KB, 954x916) Image search: [Google]
R-Type_Delta_JP_Cover.jpg
126 KB, 954x916
>>342515448
I call it "the best videogame console that was ever created"
>>
>>342516778
It doesn't, do you even speak English?
>>
Because x gonna give it to ya.
>>
>>342518837
He gon givit to ya
>>
>>342518718
I do. And my point still stands.
Especially when written, PC and PS can be mixed up when read hastily, and the pronunciation can be very similar in some parts of the world.
>>
People who use the term 'PSX' in spoken conversation need to die.
>>
Play station 10
>>
Why did they go for buttons that were untypable?

Anyone can type ABYX, or ABCXYZ, why did they go with X, O, triangle, square? Just makes guides harder to type out and read.
>>
>>342515880
PS/1 and PS/2 (personal system) were current lines of IBM computers at the time. it was in sony's interest to promote a distinct term as a precautionary measure for both marketing and legal reasons
>>
>>342519113
Only applies when it's written, and most people don't even use the term PC or PS while speaking. And you're still saying S sounds similar to C on English when spelled, but it doesn't.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.