[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some good sidescrolling games with exploration and item
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: metroid-zero-mission-1.jpg (148 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
metroid-zero-mission-1.jpg
148 KB, 1280x720
What are some good sidescrolling games with exploration and item collecting?

I've only really played Metroid Zero Mission and Metroid Fusion as far as that goes, but I assume Super Metroid and Metroid II are pretty similar and I should get around to playing them sometime.

What are some other games besides the Metroid series though? I find it to be a very fun type of game just from the two I've already played.
>>
Castlevania
>>
>>342483797
Mighty No. 9

LOL.

Megaman Zero series.
>>
>>342483797
Metroid games
>Super Metroid
Metroid-like Castlevanias (aka Metroidvanias)
>Symphony of the Night
>Circle of the Moon
>Harmony of Dissonance
>Aria of Sorrow
>Dawn of Sorrow
>Portrait of Ruin
>Order of Ecclesia

and then there are some others like La Mulana, which I haven't tried out yet

I'd recommend Super Metroid for you since you liked ZM and Fusion, and to start in the Castlevania series probably Symphony of the Night and Aria of Sorrow
>>
File: 2rx9vr5.jpg (356 KB, 1600x855) Image search: [Google]
2rx9vr5.jpg
356 KB, 1600x855
They're called 2D Action/Platformers. A very rich sub genre. My personal favorites are Zelda 2, Rivery City Ransom EX and Muramasa. Other games include Faxanadu, Cave Story, Aquaria, Shantae, La Mulana, etc.
>>
>>342483797
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metroidvania#List_of_Metroidvania_games
>>
>>342483797

An Untitled Story.
>>
>>342484592
How is Metroid II? I noticed it's not on your list.

Does it really matter what order I play the Castlevania games in? Like is there a connected story or just like game play stuff like how you should play STALKER SoC before CoP because SoC is so clunky compared to CoP it would make it harder to get into.
>>
>>342484870

Not that guy, but Metroid II is my favorite game in the series. It does everything people want in a Metroid game, just overlooked because of 'dated' graphics. Which is a funny complaint since its the best looking Game Boy game.

The Castlevania games from Vampire Hunter up to Symphony of the Night have light connections in story, but its not that important. The games after SotN is when a connected story became the focus. And it wasn't a good thing since it helped kill the series.
>>
>>342484870
Metroid II is rather weak afaik, and there's a fan remake (AM2R) coming out soon(tm), look it up, it looks great

>Does it really matter what order I play the Castlevania games in? Like is there a connected story or just like game play stuff
the only games in which the story has any real connection in the Metroidvanias (as opposed to the Classicvanias) are Aria of Sorrow and Dawn of Sorrow (Aria comes first), and even then it doesn't matter that much, but still there's only reasons to play Aria before Dawn

I'd recommend you play Aria or SotN first because they're the easiest to get into, learn new stuff, they're not that hard, and the presentation is really good, but Aria's music isn't as good as the other games, so I recommend SotN first

SotN has some problems with it being too easy, weapons are too samey, they rehashed the entire map, but the visuals and music are godlike, and it's not so easy that it gets really boring

the other games are all better in gameplay, but are equal or worse in graphics/music
>>
>>342483797
Fusion is way better
>>
>>342483797
Play Super, it's best game on the genre.
Super > Zero Mission >> Fusion
>>
Zero Mission is just an HD remake of Metroid 1 right?
>>
>>342483797
Super Metroid and some of the Castlevanias are among the best that the genre has to offer.

Ori is a great newer game like that. Guacamelee is a pretty good indie title, too.

Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap on the Sega Master System is a timeless classic of the genre that people always tend to forget about.
>>
Legacy of the Wizard.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.