[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 90
File: 1465400209083.png (799 KB, 1000x737) Image search: [Google]
1465400209083.png
799 KB, 1000x737
What went wrong?
>>
File: 1466609018973.jpg (70 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
1466609018973.jpg
70 KB, 800x450
Pretty much everything.
There is so much shit wrong in this game that I don't know where to start, but for the most part it looks like they just didn't give a single fuck. It feels very lazy.
Pic very related
>>
>Level design is very bland and has little to no personality. The only unique stage is Capitol Building and that doubles as the worst stage in the game.
>Absorption boosts may as well not even be there
>they somehow made a story that's less interesting than "Dr. Wily/Sigma done it"
>Terrible art direction
>enemies are pushovers
>bosses are piss easy
>>
>>342474687
Holy shit, it looks like a Unity prototype made by a kid from highschool in his spare time.
>>
>>342475246
>Final boss is the least interesting and most boring
>>
I'm wondering how it got this bad. The game would've ended up better if Inafune gave most of the money to some 3rd party dev and went on holiday for the development time.

I'm actually baffled by this game's development.
>>
>>342473602
critics don't like good games.
>>
File: 140302putinsmile.jpg (10 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
140302putinsmile.jpg
10 KB, 600x300
>>342473602
takeout every day for every meal adds up.
>>
>>342473602
>>
File: 1466592384733.jpg (399 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1466592384733.jpg
399 KB, 1920x1080
>>342476308
>>
>>342476739

kek
>>
Was there anything that went right with the game? Any redeeming factors that people kinda liked among all the shit?
>>
File: megagame5.jpg (165 KB, 700x752) Image search: [Google]
megagame5.jpg
165 KB, 700x752
:^)
>>
>>342477493
some things are best left in the past
>>
>>342477493
>first red alarm was that cunt getting hired as community manager
I knew way back then exactly what was gonna happen.
>>
>>342477179
Sonic twitter's mocking them was pretty good.
>>
File: 1447278710325.png (108 KB, 630x870) Image search: [Google]
1447278710325.png
108 KB, 630x870
Those who played it, were you "surprised by the female characters?"
>>
>>342477921

>Call: Literally autistic
>Dynatron: eh
>Cryo: Annoying
>Ray: CRAWWWWLLIIIIINNG IN MY SKIIIIIINNNNNNNNNN

nah
>>
>>342477921
Does she even give a shit about Mighty No. 9 anymore? She's gone silent ever since she left.
>>
>>342477179
The main theme was great and it preyed on the feeling of melancholy and hope.
>>
I haven't played it yet but I can tell you the voice acting is absolutely disgusting, they should add a way to turn it off.
>>
>>342477921
>her job was to be a glorified forum moderator
>"i've worked on the game. i hope we made you all proud!"
>>
File: 1436034323977.png (25 KB, 575x183) Image search: [Google]
1436034323977.png
25 KB, 575x183
>>342479459
Hey stop it! Don't make her suffering a meme.
>>
>>342478085
You're forgetting one.
>>
>>342479583

oh right

>Trinity: Screams and shits all over the place. 10/10 character thank you Dina.
>>
Honestly, it's not bad.

Awfully mediocre? Yes, but bad I wouldn't say.

I mean, I'd put it on par with, say, Megaman X 5 on PSX on release.

At this point I just think people are looking for reasons to hate on the game and inflate every little thing way beyond what it deserves. Mob mentality and all.

Not that this phenomenon is undeserved, the schadenfreude isn't gratuitous. But give it a few years and I think people will look back and find they were harsher than deserved.

Thing that gets me mad tough is the reaction of the press, with its courage of kicking a man down when he has no support. I mean just compare the reviews for MN9 with those for, say, Dragon Age 2. Journos acting like they grew some balls while we all know they'll praise and inflate the score of the next project of big publishers that is just as mediocre as MN9.
>>
>>342476308
Not saying he's wrong, but a lot people take this out of context.
>>
>>342480552
Game journos are fucking cancer and anybody who bases their opinions around them are also cancer.

It's like the /tv/ posters who judge a movies worth based on rotten tomatoes.

The Internet and social media was a fucking mistake. Form your own opinions you faggots
>>
>>342481690
without the internet people depended way more on the gaming media like magazines to know what a game was about
>>
File: 1466546298905.jpg (589 KB, 615x871) Image search: [Google]
1466546298905.jpg
589 KB, 615x871
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehhnBZUbLZU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQotKe125i8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agWIQn-5EjQ
>>
>>342473602
Level design, performance, voiceover, music

The dash system and art style are god-tier though.
>>
>>342482425
You didnt hire random Rainbow Hairs to write for your game magazines back in the days to save costs on running your website
>>
>>342482890
Are you implying magazines didn't shill games back then? You're wrong. SJW or not it was a thing, try finding any old game that isn't considered good and you'll find some magazine talking about how fun it was, 9/10.
>>
File: Capture2.png (26 KB, 571x192) Image search: [Google]
Capture2.png
26 KB, 571x192
>>342477921
lol
>>
>>342476308
Except businessmen can do great.
Inafune failed as a businessman here.
>>
>>342473602
>Inafune biting off more than he could chew and trying to establish MN9 as a multimedia franchise before the first game was even finished
>Actually attempting to make the game for 11 platforms right from the get-go
>>
>>342477921
Actually, yeah. Ray looks really cool despite all odds, and her JP voice is fucking fantastic.
>>
>>342477921
They were pretty cute and fuckable. They deserved to be in a better game than this.
>>
>>342482890

As someone that got paid for some writing in game magazines back in the day, the only reason why you didn't have rainbow color hair was that it wasn't the fashion of the times, but game journalism was *always* about taking young enthusiasts and make them work for peanuts.

>>342482747

Dash doesn't work for me because the mechanic and the level design just don't mesh well I find.

To me those rooms where you're forced to stop and fight waves of enemies are basically an admission of defeat by the level designers. They understand the mechanic doesn't mesh gracefully with the classic megaman traversal, so they give you those room to make you dash away.
>>
>>342483228
Making the game on many platforms was the right thing to do, but the first point is right. Also voice acting was clearly a mistake.
>>
>>342482652

Song on the third video?
>>
>Dina in credits
>Rap song playing

Jesus Christ.
>>
>>342473602
It's based around Megaman, an outdated series whose repetitive and bland gameplay has not aged well.
>>
>>342483443
>Making the game on many platforms was the right thing to do

It wasn't really, might have allowed them to get a bit more money during the kickstrter, but that money was way insufficient to cover the costs of developing/porting the game for all those platforms.

I cancelled my pledge when they started adding so many platforms, as to me it it was a sure signs things were going to go south.
>>
>>342483615

Megaman 9 and 10 were fucking awesome though.
>>
>>342483615

Said abrasively, but kind of a fair point. I love the games myself, but looking at complaints from several testers, it just seems like those people don't like the game genre at all, and then are complaining that the game isn't something else altogether.
>>
>>342483735
But putting it on many platforms isn't a waste of money because more people who can buy the game = more money, they should have never added frivolous and expensive stuff like voice acting, so many games like Freedom Planet have awful voice acting when they would benefit from just text and maybe humming sounds for the voices, like MGS on Gameboy Color did.
>>
>>342477921
What's this chick got against gators? Did they eat her kid or something?
>>
>>342483926
>But putting it on many platforms isn't a waste of money because more people who can buy the game = more money

If they can sell the game.

I mean, I agree on voice acting, way too much of it in games that do not benefit from it, but they have to make the game good for it to sell. And that time and resources spent on making the game work on many platforms? That's time not spent on the game proper.
>>
>>342477921
It's because of her Ray turned into a girl for no reason? Her design looks too masculine.
>>
The question is, "is there something that went right?"
>>
>>342483540
The apotheosis of MN9.
>>
File: meger mien.png (3 KB, 155x192) Image search: [Google]
meger mien.png
3 KB, 155x192
>>342478085
I think you mean
>Call: a souless robot for no gotdamn reason
>Dynatron: a literal power hunger bitch
>Cryoshpere: a fucking child with the body of a robot
>Ray
ok that on is on spot
>Trinity: reminds me of Eve from wall-e
>>
>wake up
>realize that people fell for this ponzi scheme
>do a 360 and go back to bed with sweet dreams made of memes
>>
>>342480552
Don't fucking compare it to X5, cmon.
>>
>>342484549
The games is comfy and fun, have a lot of weird bugs and problems, but after some patches it will work fine.

7/10, solid alternative universe MegaMan game for me. Better than Xover/X7. Ray gameplay is nice.
>>
>>342480552
Well to be honest, it's because of the background and expectations, after all this was Inafune we were talking about, not just some random guy making a megaman clone, then all the hype the conman gave to this game with stuff like the movie and secuel and animated series, all the fuck ups and controversies and of course FOUR FUCKING MILLION DOLLARS.
He set the bar way too high for himself and it blew on his face and that's why everybody hates the game right now. Othereise it would be your regular 6/10 game that would be forgotten within a week or two.
>>
playing this, I had way more fun with Ray than Beck, even with the your-health-is-draining-to-make-this-harder stipulation

she absorbs what she kills instantly and her dash can kill most things too. meanwhile as beck you're pelting them waiting for them to be ready for absorption and THEN dash into them which you might do prematurely and then take damage. It's dumb.
>>
I had to see the ending to this game and am surprised at how uneventful it was.

>beat the final boss
>oh no, the building is collapsing
>ALL THE MIGHTY NUMBERS WILL SAVE YOU, BECK!
>cut to a single picture of them all hanging out

Fucking. Wow.
Just a screen of saying "Ending not completed because we didn't make 1 million dollars more" would have been better.
>>
>>342473602
Comcept.
>>
File: 1324779435312.png (107 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
1324779435312.png
107 KB, 350x350
>>342473602
Nothing. But Nothing went right either.

Game is a solid 6-7/10.

Get over it. I understand you shitposters want to experience another epic Tortanic, but this game is fine as it is.

It's nothing but special, and it's nothing bad, just like all the classic megaman and Megaman X games.
>>
File: 1439287399944.jpg (118 KB, 627x477) Image search: [Google]
1439287399944.jpg
118 KB, 627x477
>>342476104
>>
>>342485368
the bit was the end, where White tries to rub it in Blackwell's face, while Blackwell says that you're not that great if the problem you're fixing is one you caused yourself in the first place.

White does the whole "You'll see, you'll all see!" shit. Blackwell didn't do anything wrong so obviously a sequel HAHAHAHAH would involve White becoming a bad guy with a god complex, creating more mighty numbers to show how great he is.
>>
>>342485070

X5 was fucking disappointing and uninspired. If we're talking bland and mediocre I think X5 fits the bill.

>>342485214

I kinda agree, as I said, the schadenfreude is understandable. Justified even, to a point. But then the mob mentality makes things be way overstated.
>>
>>342483540
THEY PROBABLY SHOT BLACKS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNTYzRLTN68#t=40s
>>
>>342485283
>i only have fun when the game is insultingly easy and doesn't pose any challenge

Might as well play all your game on the easiest difficulty or turn on cheat codes.
>>
File: gul'dan.webm (847 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
gul'dan.webm
847 KB, 960x540
>>
>>342487518
nice projecting there bucko

Ray is more fun simply because it's more fast paced and risky
>>
File: Mighty Blunder 9.jpg (170 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
Mighty Blunder 9.jpg
170 KB, 1200x1200
Nothing went wrong. Seriously, everything worked out flawlessly for Inafune - he's now a fucking millionaire thanks to his brilliant Kikestarter scam.

Inafune could've had 10 devs working for the entire 5 years and still have a third of the initial budget left assuming he was trying to make the game on just the kickstarter money. The thing is, the programming part of the game can and has been done by single people in their basement in their spare time in mere months. In other words, it can't have cost more than $5k to have built the whole game, programming wise. They obviously don't use any mocap, so all animations can't have been more than $10k combined. What's left? Effects design (amateurs do better in hours), level designs and boss designs, shader programming (they're obviously using stock shaders), modeling (again, an amateur makes better models in a couple of days). The production value of the game is a whopping $100k if you're very generous with your funds allocation.

In conclusion, Inafune is one of the most brilliant scam artists in the last decade, becoming a millionaire basically overnight.
>>
>>342485610
>Inafune design doesn't win the contest
>put her in the game anyway
>make her the final boss

How full of yourself do you have to be to do that?
>>
>>342486093
Blunder no.9 is closer to X7 than X5
>>
can some one tell me how to debug the fucking game
I want to turn off the lighting too make it look better
please help
protofaggot where are you?
>>
File: 13884403271472.jpg (20 KB, 407x286) Image search: [Google]
13884403271472.jpg
20 KB, 407x286
There's honestly a lot I did not fucking like, it's hard to be concise about it but I did write up some thoughts.
Of course it's all just my personal experience from one full playthrough and is subjective.

Above all else, the gameplay.
It's not fun, I didn't enjoy the game at any stage. There were maybe moments I thought it was alright or average, but nothing shined and a lot frustrated.
The weapons in the game are highly imbalanced ranging from completely useless to ridiculously useful.

Your standard pea-shooter sucks, you cannot charge it and you will be hammering that fire button to take out enemies, many of which are airborne. When you use this, everything becomes a bullet sponge until they are suspectible to Xel absorption.

Because your damage output is difficult to track, you kinda need to count the number of shots you land on an enemy before you can dash through them to finish them off, else you'll find yourself accidentally dashing into an enemy who wasn't vulnerable because you didn't quite get this right. It happens way too often, and the fact that enemies flash when you damage them and flash a different way when you can absorb them doesn't help, it's difficult to actually know for certain when you're safe to dash.
Couple this with shoddy sound design where nothing actually feels all that satisfying like sound effects of old, and constant noise that drowns out the background music, and you have an experience that makes your participation all that less palpable.

It's at odds with traditional Mega Man play, because you've never needed to be too close to an enemy to deal with them. Proper Mega Man has moments when close-quarters can be risky but rewarding, but throughout Mighty No. 9 it is necessary and unsatisfying. Whilst you can defeat enemies by continuing to attack them, this means you won't get any beneficial Xel, overall making for a system far less preferable to most games where enemies are defeated by substantial attacks and they drop an item.
>>
>>342488313
Weapon switching, this is actually quite a headache.

You cannot switch weapons whilst paused, and rather than other Mega Man games where you can cycle through abilities on the fly using the shoulder button, you have to cycle through a selector and THEN press a button to transform between your standard form and alternate form.

This mess makes it really cumbersome to actually switch to the power you want on the fly, because the game doesn't have slow or relaxed periods to give you time to switch seamlessly, at the very least not on a first playthrough.

The default controls for switching don't make sense either.
Left Trigger and Left Bumper cycle your transformations, whilst your right trigger is "Action Shift" and right bumper is dash.
I can't think why they kept actions to the bumpers, and cycling to the triggers, I should've changed this myself.

Even worse is that you do not get separate buttons dedicated to your pea shooter and your special weapon, which even Mega Man 8 figured out.
Making this worse is that although your special weapon energy can recharge, it only does so when you have the form active. If you wanted your energy to recharge whilst you use the pea shooter, tough luck.
>>
>>342486098
>all those backers forever immortalized in that godawful song
>>
>>342488607
>I can't think why they kept actions to the bumpers, and cycling to the triggers, I should've changed this myself.

first thing I did was put dash on right trigger, fuck that bumper
>>
>>342488607
Now about the Xel absorption system, which we get in lieu of enemy transformations because of tight budget.

There are four kinds of Xel that enemies drop.

Blue Xel fills your Xel Recovery gauge, which is basically your Sub-tank. This doesn't stay filled between stages and even empties if you die, which is insane, it punishes death in a way other Mega Man games wouldn't dare.

Adding to this is that enemies never drop health recovery, but you can find items placed around stages. The health recovery items have quite a similar appearance to extra lives, and don't logically look like health recovery. Nothing about the item designs convey their purpose too well.

What doesn't help is that for having an emphasis on collecting blue Xel, you don't see a meter fill up on the HUD, you can very easily overlook the icon when you have a full recover gauge.
The sub-tank implementation is clearly better because health pickups will either fill your health meter, or overflow into a subtank with at least a sound cue that it's filling.

Red Xel boosts your weapon power temporarily, attacks get stronger and reduces weapon energy consumption. This can make it difficult to count damage dealing for dashing into enemies, but it also gives your pea shooter temporary piercing fire, which is useful actually. So for the combo heavy gameplay it's a mixed bag.

Green Xel makes you run faster temporarily, Yellow Xel temporarily boosts your defense.
It's a semi-decent system but has weird ways of making you trip up, because you don't get a strong feeling for when you're boosted or when you aren't.

Oh, and very importantly, Xel absorption refills the weapon energy of your currently used weapon. This rewards using other weapons and successfully absorbing Xel, but in turn can mean you never run out of weapon energy and don't have to think about which weapons to use if you have a good one.

>>342488770
I was okay with dash on right bumper personally, I was using a 360 controller on PC.
>>
>>342488313
>>342488607
Agree
>>
>>342488885
Xel? Absorption? Is this fucking Metroid Fusion?
>>
>>342488885
Okay, now the weapons, oh deary me the weapons.

Mighty No. 1, Pyrogen's weapon is charged fire burst. You press the button to detonate a blast of fire around you. It's useless, as it's slow to charge and doesn't hit very hard. The idea is probably to predict when you're in a room with a shitload of enemies.

Mighty No. 2, Cryosphere's weapon is an ice ball toss. It shoots forward then drops after a fairly short distance, it is slightly more powerful than the pea shooter and is capable of freezing enemies. It's good for clearing stages especially if you want to maintain a combo, because it makes it easier to get 100% absorption.
Not that the combo system is rewarding in any way.

Mighty No. 3, Dynatron's weapon is a tagging electrical attack. You fire off a spread of 6 conductors that stick to enemies, and deal damage for a brief period. It's kinda useful but I didn't find myself using it often.

Mighty No. 4, Seismic's weapon turns you into a tank with treads, and you perform a charge attack. I never once used this though I doubted it would have any use knowing the enemies. It apparently can send enemies flying, but why on earth would you want to do this when the goal is to destabilise and absorb them??
>>
PEW PEW PEW
>>
>>342489095
The whole gimmick of this game is that enemies don't traditionally die and you have to dash into them after they 'die' to absorb them and truly remove them from the field. actually I'm lying, they do die if you keep shooting them after this point but you don't get points

Bosses have to be done in segments this way
>>
>>342479459
This.
I still don't even really understand why everybody bothered to attack her in the first place. Despite what she said, it was painfully obvious that she had fuck-all to do with the game. She wasn't designing characters or directing the story. At most, she designed a tiny doodlybopper on some random enemy's head but she had zero creative control. She was a glorified forum manager who was just a little too enthusiastic about being near the game. It would have been easier to just ignore her and move on with our lives and the game would have turned into the exact same shitshow anyway.

Yeah, she was obnoxious, but it was pretty pointless for everybody to go after her like that. All it did was make her another martyr and make the rest of us look bad.
>>
>>342489096
Mighty No. 5, Battalion's weapon. Okay this weapon is ridiculously overpowered, there are no drawbacks to it and it demands its own section.

It's powerful explosive that fires straight forward, first button press fires and second detonates. The blast radius is huge and deals very heavy damage, and its weapon energy is surprisingly low. This is the defacto stage clearing weapon because it works against EVERYTHING, and requires no effort to aim other than having a little care with your detonation timing.

This lets you steamroll enemies as soon as you see them, most are ready to absorb after one or two fires, and due to Xel absorption replenishing weapon energy you should never ever run out.

It's a bit less useful against bosses because you do not constantly recover weapon energy in boss fights, but is still a very good weapon.

This goes beyond the usefulness of the Metal Blades in Mega Man 2, it's insane how imbalanced this is.
The only disadvantage I can think of is that it the large explosions might make it difficult to see what is happening, such as if enemies were not made susceptible to absorption.
You might also accidentally overkill and miss the opportunity to absorb, which is the other side of being able to completely remove potential obstacles.

>>342489095
Xel is whatever the fuck the digital pixels that all robots are made up of.
Where Metroid Fusion actually had good ideas with absorbing enemies, like they can reconstitute in different ways, Mighty No. 9 has shit implementation.
>>
This thing really/still brick ingredients Wii Us?
>>
>>342489119
>"PEW PEW PEW! PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW! PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW! PEW PEW PEW!"

The above is an actual, genuine quote from the Cyrosphere boss fight in Mighty Number 9. And it's ten times as annoying as it seems. And it makes no fucking sense since the boss says "pew" eighteen times despite only shooting THREE PROJECTILES.

Inafune pocketed 3.5 million. Holy hell. https://youtu.be/Pb7XhNhAB9E?t=40s
>>
>>342489393

Mighty No. 6, Aviator's weapon is a gyrocopter blade. Hold the button to be able to jump higher and descend slower, which is actually necessary for one of the final stages. Release the button to throw the blade, but as an attack it's difficult to use because of short range. Holding the button slowly drains weapon energy too, I would say this weapon is only useful one time, but it might be effective somewhere if you use it?

Mighty No. 7, Brandish's weapon is some blades. Just press the button and you cut in front of you, it can reflect fire and grants some invulnerability frames. The standard attack doesn't consume energy but charged attacks can, but I never actually used this weapon during the course of the game. From what I've seen you can use this weapon to cheese the final boss fight.
I didn't use it at all but it might actually be a very useful weapon that flows better with the whole dash system, making combat more Mega Man Zero like.

Mighty No. 8, Countershade's weapon is like a sniper rifle. You shoot very powerful shots that ricochet off walls or other objects, and intelligently home towards enemies. But, its weapon energy consumption is enormous so you can fire off very few shots. It does seem to recharge a bit faster than the others to compensate, but like sniping it emphasises that you don't miss your mark.

And that's the weapons, there are few that you'll actually want to use.
Worth mentioning that Ray's weapons are completely different but I didn't play that DLC so I don't know how.
>>
>>342473602
Everything. Bums me out, the ideas they had on paper aren't the worst in the world, it was the execution. And thanks to both this and Broken Age there will always be retards that say any and all kickstarted games are shit.
>>
>>342488885
>>Red Xel boosts your weapon power temporarily, attacks get stronger and reduces weapon energy consumption. This can make it difficult to count damage dealing for dashing into enemies, but it also gives your pea shooter temporary piercing fire, which is useful actually. So for the combo heavy gameplay it's a mixed bag.
The problem with this is that there are times where the enemy placement expect you to have piercing abilites, making you have to fight against three or four enemies and dashing into them. If you don't have it anymore, you'll probably end up hitting enemies while trying to absorb the other ones. That is unless you want to defeat to take a lot of time to defeat them in the traditional way.
>>
File: 1465589382139.jpg (14 KB, 342x316) Image search: [Google]
1465589382139.jpg
14 KB, 342x316
Post 'em, we know you got 'em

Backer no. 1553 here
>>
>>342480552
This
>>
File: image.jpg (94 KB, 826x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
94 KB, 826x640
>>342489721
>>
>Beck finishes bosses by data draining them
>Ray finishes bosses by shooting laser beams for some reason

ok

I mean if anything Ray should be the one data draining
>>
Where were you when Sonic ended MN9?

twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/745311041987371008
>>
>>342483483
it's the resident evil 7 trailer music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0afsn_W5rk
>>
>>342489609
>references old Mega Man dubs which were always awful
>this is somehow bad

Just play with the Japanese VO, the difference is like day and night.
>>
>>342489618
Now that I've explained the weapons, I'll explain how maybe a good 80-90% of the game doesn't take advantage of them.

Battalion's weapon was so ridiculously overpowered that I was always using it, this lead to me not even trying other weapons to see how they work (largely due to how cumbersome weapon switching is).

The game does a very poor job of encouraging weapon experimentation, because the majority of enemies can be dealt with normally and are not placed in creative ways where your weapons have a clearcut advantage. Although it does appear that certain weapons have special uses against both a boss AND their stage, this isn't communicated very well.

Unlocking new weapons also does not demonstrate the weapons, you have to try them for yourself. There are game-tips you can read about each weapon, but best practice is to show, don't tell.

To add to this, there are no enemies that are weak or immune to certain weapons. Everything is effective, and bosses don't appear to have immunities but at least have weaknesses, as far as I can tell weapons can be advantageous in some scenarios but there is no obvious weapon weakness circle here.

Or more appropriately, the weapon weaknesses aren't very palpable. The game seems to imply this by having rescued Mighty Numbers show up in other stages, that you should use their weapon against the boss. So if Countershade appears in Aviator's stage, use his weapon against him. You us Brandish against Dynatron, Battalion against Seismic, etc.

Further, when selecting stages, you can get a barebones explanation about the stage from Call, and you might see an "advice" option which will be a rescued Mighty Number asking for support.
This is basically your not so subtle cue that you should play this stage because you have the bosses' weakness.
If you overlook or ignore this you might make mistakes like thinking Cryosphere's ice attack is of any use in Pyrogen's stage, it's not. Pretty sure it's the other way around.
>>
File: 1444290821342.jpg (57 KB, 620x670) Image search: [Google]
1444290821342.jpg
57 KB, 620x670
>>342486098
I still can't believe that this is the music that plays in the credits for Mighty No.9, a game funded by over 67,000 people on kickstarter because they saw it as the revival of Mega Man and as a big middle finger to Capcom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc8aXhQFFmQ
Back when they started the kickstarter campaign they posted this theme and people were shitting their pants because it was filling them with hope of a good game. Now the game is out, it's mediocre as fuck and the credits have a nigger rapping in the background about shooting blacks (or whatever the fuck he's saying, who cares at this point).

This entire thing is so fucking hilarious, I have to thank Inafune for that at least.
>>
>>342489849
Ayyyy

https://youtu.be/zEZL4ult9n0>>342489849
>>
How much went into the actual game, does anybody know? Wasn't one of the stretch goals an animation? he probably sank a bunch into that shit
>>
Nothing

Stop being an entitled little shit.

Tons of games have trouble starting, but you would play and praise them anyways.

/v/ is truely a shitty fucking place to talk about fucking video games. Can't think for yourselves but fucking "DANK MEMES LOL KEK" all the damn time.
>>
File: Screenshot (4088).png (1 MB, 1910x1035) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (4088).png
1 MB, 1910x1035
>>342489721
No. 30616 regrettably.

Arin Hansen is No. 12226 btw, Gaijin Goomba is in the credits too.
>>
>>342473602
People entrusted a lot of money to a man who actually doesn't make games.
>>
>>342489874
>last game was sonic boom

Sonic has no right to talk beyond just memeing
>>
>the backers credits are 4 hours long

LOL
>>
>>342489981
15$
>>
>>342488885
>it punishes death in a way other Mega Man games wouldn't dare.

Agreed with most point. But this one, I was just thinking how the focus on absorption made the game something more of a "R-type platformer" so to speak, than a megaman game.

There' s a huge focus on perfect execution, which means perfect memorization of the level layout, and xel absorption means the more you absorb the easier it gets. And if you miss or die, it becomes harder again.

Weird design decision.
>>
>>342489986
>entitled

(You)
>>
>>342490127
don't forget to add in one-shot instant kill boss attacks
>>
>>342484271
ray was always going to be a chick, its fem bass+protoman backstory, stitched together with some getter robo
>>
>>342489904
A word about platforming controls.
It doesn't feel tight to put it simply, Beck can run around, dash, air dash, drop-dash to the ground, make breakfast, etc, but with constant dashing he feels very slippery. You can cancel your dash at any time, but I've had a number of accidental deaths because I couldn't juggle the too many control inputs and his weird momentum when his dash finishes.

Naturally there are a lot of jumps where you need to dash across larger gaps, his air dashing is like the upgrades in Mega Man X except spammable, you get a lot of hang time from using them. Later stages with air currents even require this to go stay airborne, it's weird.

He can also grab onto ledges, on a few occasions you need to so you can avoid instant death spikes, but there's no sort of wall jumping.
To be honest the platforming felt clunky and the mechanics did not lend themselves to good level design at all. The challenge was more in not slipping up which was easy to do, rather than careful timing or tight jumps that carry risks.
You know that combat flexibility or tension for survival that wall kicking gave you in Mega Man X games? None of that here.

>>342490127
With their Patch support system for struggling players, they didn't think this through properly because the majority of post-death support is completely useless.

>>342490342
Somehow I never ran afoul of those attacks, or at least was not aware of them being instant death because I probably had low health anyway.
>>
>>342483372
>
http://rule34.paheal.net/post/view/1906686
>>
>>342490342
To my knowledge only Pyro and Batallion have one-shot kill attacks. Batallion's has a huge charge up and you're retarded if you get hit by it, and Pyro is just don't touch him. I don't think it's that bad honestly.
>>
File: BROWN ROBOT HIPS.png (266 KB, 785x489) Image search: [Google]
BROWN ROBOT HIPS.png
266 KB, 785x489
>>342490540
>Still no Raychel porn.

Those thighs deserve something dammit.
>>
>>342489904

The xel weapon powerful against a given boss, and the Mighty number helping you in a level are not related. For example the sword guy helps you in the electricity level, but it's the snipping weapon that trounces its boss (by almost automatically getting rid of the electric beacons, not to mention the damage boost.
>>
>>342490505
About the level design, together with the explained platforming and combat issues.

The other major problem is enemies, the variation of them is similar to Mega Man games but doesn't have that right fit of dictating the flow of platforming. There are no sneaky enemies that'll make you watch your step, so much as they simply get in the way because you need to shoot them enough to dash through them. Bleh

Levels also rarely featured any interesting mechanics, the Mega Man games have a great deal of interesting platforms or gimmicks that define a robot master's stages (if you've ever played Rockman 4 Minus Infinity, Skull Man's stage paid particular tribute to this), you just won't find this in Mighty No. 9, it feels very uninspired.

To put it concisely the level design looks at the parts of Mega Man games that were frustrating, like instant death spikes and death pits and litters stages with them without understanding what made these hurdles accomplished in the first place. They did at least make one thing very clear, if it's glowing bright purple it can kill you instantly. (Fucking turbines in Dynatron's stage)

Watching a Gamexplain livestream of the game, the player whilst not very good did make an excellent point.
The level design can't decide if it wants to be like classic Mega Man, Mega Man X or Mega Man Zero, and there are blatant instances where the combat and platforming would've been enriched by wall-jumping. In its place we only get this edge-grabbing system which has a surprising emphasis that honestly is at odds with the dashing.
>>
>>342490754
There is though
It's not at all good though, but it's better than nothing.
>>
File: 1466476402817.png (157 KB, 516x440) Image search: [Google]
1466476402817.png
157 KB, 516x440
>i was buttblasted over MML3's cancellation
>saw the KS for this game
>that awesome hand drawn concept art
>thought the game would look like that
>backed it in the hopes of getting that MML spiritual successor one day

I can't believe I gave $40 for this fucking shit.
>>
>>342473602
Well their first problem was Inafune. Why have a game created by someone with almost no experience in game design? All he did was draw Megaman. He wasn't even the first one to do it either. I can't believe any of you are questioning why this turned out like shit. It should have been apparent from the start.
>>
>>342491126
Should have backed Red Ash instead.
>>
>>342491126
Exactly this, saw that enemy absorption power and thought it was awesome.
The only difference is I gave 250
>>
File: pic-9756.jpg (560 KB, 3000x1844) Image search: [Google]
pic-9756.jpg
560 KB, 3000x1844
>>342491126
Did you know?

These traffic cone enemies don't even appear in the game. For real.
>>
>>342480552
>I mean, I'd put it on par with, say, Megaman X 5 on PSX on release
So it's bad. Awfully mediocre would be X4 or X8.
>>
>>342491243

I didn't want to give them more money in case MN9 fell through. When the Red Ash KS rolled around I already had a bad taste in my mouth.
>>
>>342491467
Aren't they in the alpha build they've shown?
>>
>>342491275

I'm so sorry man. Fucking Inafune.
>>
>>342490864
I should definitely mention the scoring system. It's completely pointless and not at all satisfying to attempt.

The combo system works by absorbing Xel from enemies with 100% efficiency, if you take too long to absorb Xel then you'll absorb less than 100% and drop the combo.

The longer you maintain the combo, the bigger end-level bonus you'll get, along with things like kill counts, time taken, damage taken etc.

There are also assorted bonuses, the narration loves to shout things like Excellent, Fine Play, Sprinter, Amazing etc. If you absorb multiple enemies simultaneously regardless of absorbtion rate, you get a multiplier bonus by an extra 50% each enemy. If you apparently do a section of a boss fight well like take no damage or punish them well, you get a Fine Player, and Sprinter is awarded for rushing through a section.

At the end of a stage your score is tallied and you get a rank of S, A, B, C or D, and your rank is recorded.
But that's all it does, rank is absolutely inconsequential, as you are not rewarded for your efforts. The scoring system is as pointless as it was in Mega Man 1, as opposed to the Mega Man Zero games where ranks reward you with special kills or upgrades.

There's also no sort of customization system or in-game currency so you can improve your character's abilities, like double jumping, movement speed, survival options etc. There aren't any kind of hidden collectibles that might unlock something either.
For all the neat bonuses they thought to include as stretch goals like a playable Call stage or voice acting, they never though about adding the things that would really make the game more fun and varied.
>>
>>342473602
Couldn't tell you, since I never got my code.
>>
>>342491680
yep, thay would have been piss easy to code too
>>
File: RCWEddie.png (193 KB, 490x341) Image search: [Google]
RCWEddie.png
193 KB, 490x341
>>342491778
As I've established, the game punishes you if you die and doesn't reward you for doing well in the long term.
The game instead has a support system for struggling players.

At checkpoints, Patch robots can appear. These are Eddie analogues as they give you random items such as health recovery, a full Xel recovery meter, extra lives, or Yellow/Red/Green Xel boosts. The more you die, the more these guys will show up and start giving you better items.

Ironically these respawn bonuses are rarely useful, because going into a boss fight your buffs will run out quickly and you have the rest of the boss fight to endure. The only useful item is the blue Xel recovery item, and you better hope you get one because like I said, dying makes you LOSE your Xel recovery.

So what we have is a score system that only goes half the way, the player has no incentive to play a level well, your only goal is to actually beat the stages with the half-assed support that they implemented.

There are multiple challenges and such in the extra modes which too emphasis score attack, due to the nature of the game I don't think it's suited for speed running at all, despite being designed with it in mind.
>>
File: Punished Inafune.png (410 KB, 630x1039) Image search: [Google]
Punished Inafune.png
410 KB, 630x1039
Inafune himself spells it out. They developed for 10 systems at once. That made the project really complex, and it sucked up most of the time and money. With all the resource hogging the ports were causing, the game itself got little attention. And the ports led to the game going a LCD approach, giving it a Dreamcast game look.
>>
>>342477639
We all knew. There was literally no other thing that could've come out of this.
>>
>>342491126
I was a fool.
>>
>>342477639
>>342492197
She didn't have any influence on the project itself, but the decision to hire her was a red flag to the type of people that were behind this game.
>>
>>342492145
Boss fights need to be explained in general, but I'll later talk about them in a little more depth individually.

The majority of boss patterns are frustrating, as they have a lot of health and act as bullet sponges unless you use their weaknesses. Worse yet is many of them are prone to very repetitive and unvaried attack patterns, which especially like to stay airborne for long periods that you can't even jump high enough to shoot at. Only a handful of your special weapons will have the reach to deal with them, and you're generally up shit-creek without a paddle without their weakness due to how shitty most weapons are.

Boss fights are where the Xel absorption system really rears its ugly head, during fights you need to keep shooting them until they are vulnerable to an absorption. Once they're vulnerable you need to hurry up and absorb them because if you take too long they will recover their lost energy.

Because you need to get close to absorb their Xel, if you make them vulnerable during an attack animation that is too dangerous to approach, and especially long winded, you risk taking damage or risk dealing very little actual damage. Most bosses you need to absorb them a minimum of 4-5 times too. You cannot be sure when your attacks are going to make them vulnerable to absorption either really.

All in all this makes the majority of boss fights an exercise in frustration, I can't see how you would do these without taking damage, because your opportunities for absorption are so treacherous. The game is a one-hit death mode by the way, no idea why you would want to play such a thing.
>>
>>342489370
I fully agree. I even said these things while the whole thing was going on.
>>
>>342491467
The fun part is that the backgrounds are still bland as fuck but the hand drawn stuff gives warmth to it.
>>
>>342489924
>>342486098
>>342488672

I like the song. I like Mega Ran. His rap remixes are okay. Hit or miss. I'm glad at least he got a paycheck from this game.

The problem is more the song itself just isn't a good beat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPEa8mWxYkQ
>>
>>342492647
It's just cringy as fuck.
>>
File: 1466308687161.png (1 MB, 1286x749) Image search: [Google]
1466308687161.png
1 MB, 1286x749
>>342492483
So I guess I'm done explaining all the shit about the general gameplay and it's failings, so let me talk about stages and bosses. I'll do it in the order that I played them (to the best of my recollection).

The intro stage is pretty basic, you learn about the events of the game, parts of the highway crumble (because Mega Man X why not), you fight some enemies, dash over gaps and through tight spaces, etc. The boss fight is against a construction robot that broke into Dr Sanda's labs, you beat it easily and that's the intro, there's not much to be said. You get some cutscenes, the premise of the game is set up and now you get to choose between your eight robot masters.
>>
>>342492826
jesus anon, are you really typing all this shit out?
>>
>>342492826
Please stop.
>>
>>342492826
I started with Mighty No. 2, Cryosphere.

This stage is a waterworks plant, and has some better level design which leans more towards classic Mega Man I'd say. It starts off with an underwater section which plays well enough, including a dropshaft full of spikes (like from Mega Man, remember those?).

Once you get out of the water and into the plant itself you'll find the place completely iced over, which makes the already slippery controls even more-so.
You'll fight a particularly annoying Pong mini-boss twice, a pair of robots that bounce up and down and bat around a fairly large and fast lump of junk metal. Remember my rant about boss fights? This applies here too for some reason and to my recollection is the only mini-boss that acts like an actual boss.

The second time you fight this mini-boss, Cryosphere hangs out firing the odd freezing projectile too. It's manageable, but frustrating due to not being able to reach them all the time.

Later sections have you breaking away some ice blocks to advance but it's not very interesting, the difficulty of the platforming overall is pretty fair though.

Once you finally reach Cyrosphere herself, this boss fight is extremely annoying. Most of her attacks can freeze you, and any moment you get frozen she builds up an ice ball attack to lunge into you for big damage. You have to break out in time, you have just about enough time to avoid damage but she'll go straight into her water-hovering attack. She spends half of her battle at the top of her screen before finally freezing the water flow into a pillar.
The fight slightly suffers from Flame Hyenard syndrome, as when she stands on the ice pillar she'll constantly say Pew Pew Pew, and this attack is especially annoying because it very easily freezes you when you're focused on the only time you can damage her, with limited safe opportunities to absorb.
Her personality is also quite grating, making constant ice puns and overall acting like a baby by design.
>>
>>342492826
Dude nobody's going to read your posts. If I wanted to read all that I'd buy a book.
>>
>>342492972
>>342493047
I wrote it up a while ago talking with some friends, I'm just posting it in chunks.

But if you want me to stop, fine.

tldr; game is shit
>>
>>342492826
>>342493058
Fuck those guys, I'm actually enjoying the review if you are typing it right now or not, please continue

Your points about how the scoring system doesn't work were great, I couldn't put that into words
>>
>>342475246
I hate that the Capitol Building is one of the worst levels. If they only fixed a few issues with that level it would be really interesting.

But they fucked it.
>>
>>342492176
I don't fucking get why they did it
They should've just focused on the PC and whatever console gets the most votes
then just have deep silver outsource the porting to the other consoles to other companies
>>
>>342493168
do whatever mang, thread is slow anyway

>>342493142
>read a book nigger.jpg
>>
>>342493168
These are pretty good. You should make video reviews.
>>
>>342489721
how do you get your number again? I forgot mine.
>>
>>342492176

I really don't understand why they felt the need to put it on so many systems. Why not just the three consoles and PC?

Fucking handhelds and OSX.
>>
>>342493058
Continue, it's a very good analysis.
>>
File: Green_Bumble_Ball.jpg (101 KB, 800x720) Image search: [Google]
Green_Bumble_Ball.jpg
101 KB, 800x720
>>342492826
whats up with that human guy's hair
>>
>>342493415
I had to search mine from my gmail account. You should have e-mail with the title "Mighty No.9 Forum Login Information" unless you deleted it of course.
>>
>>342493258
>>342493338
>>342493383
>>342493552

Alright, I'll continue if at least one person wants to keep reading.
>>
>>342493430
they also made it for Chinese ouya, the
Tomahawk F1, which is just a hyper bootleg of actual consoles
>>
>>342492176
>I take all the responsibility
>they did it wrong
>they
>they
>they

hilarious. People like this guy are sociopaths.
>>
>>342493430
And I heard it that in most of the consoles it performs poorly.
>>
>>342493292
>>342493430

More ports = more sales. Simple as that. Under estimated how difficult it would be. Inafune wanted to make a nice cash cow of his own. Capcom owns the rights to MM, so he would only ever be a producer with a modest salary. But as the rights owner to a hot new selling IP he could get the real money.

Got too greedy basically.
>>
>>342493561
its an afro with cubes thing, its actually pretty interesting for our not Light
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mTtAh-KYW0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYv8wvT2Xy4

I like Mega Ran. Fight me.
>>
File: image.jpg (44 KB, 535x560) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44 KB, 535x560
>>342476739
>kamiya was right.
>>
File: MN9_MightyNo1-1.jpg (223 KB, 946x669) Image search: [Google]
MN9_MightyNo1-1.jpg
223 KB, 946x669
>>342493058
Next I tackled Mighty No.1 , Pyrogen. I had already played this stage in the demo and knew what to expect.

This is a really bland and uninspired stage set at an oil refinery, you make your way past some fast approaching enemies, avoid spinning fire-obstacles and hope that oil leaks don't get ignited. The platforming here leaves a lot to be desired with one section later on being particularly infamous.

At the end you get pillars in the background that collapse into the foreground, getting hit by any of these is an instant death. The first time you encounter them is manageable, just wait for them to collapse if you don't want to chance dashing past them because of enemy obstacles.

The second time is a nasty spike in peril, because you have both falling fireballs in the sky and fallaway platforms. In particular there is one spot where you're very likely to get knocked back by the randomly fast-falling fire balls, and end up grabbing onto a ledge that traps you into getting hit by a falling pillar.
This particularly annoying section is probably intended to be made easier by a Mighty Number assisting you, probably Aviator as his weapon is fanning and blocks overhead projectiles.

Once you get to the boss fight himself, he's fair. He has three possible attacks, and he always starts by moving to the edge of the screen, beating his chest with a voice cue and then charging towards you. You need to stay near them to make him attack then immediately retreat, it's a very basic pattern.

The main problem with this fight is that half-way through it, the characters start talking about "oh I don't want to fight you snap out of it", "you have to beat him it's the only way", and during this you can't listen to his voice cues. As far as I could tell, the voice cues are the only way to read his patterns, are there's no visual differences in his chest beating.

The character is as predictable as you'd expect, he wants to make the world burn, okay whatever.
>>
File: thank you con man.png (2 MB, 1280x3600) Image search: [Google]
thank you con man.png
2 MB, 1280x3600
:)
>>
>>342477493
I don't get it, is this a joke about transistor?
Can you fill me in?
>>
>>342493058
These are pretty much my thoughts on this boss. She's not hard because of her patterns or anything like that, she's hard because she can freeze you and hit you for massive damage and your time to attack her is short.
Unfreezing is a pain in the ass too, if you are not button mashing you'll not get out of the ice in time. You can't play this in a quiet place because of all the noise you are going to make to unfreeze yourself.
>>
>>342492271
Jesus m8 why
>>
>>342493907
Nerdcore is an acquired taste. I like it too, but I can understand why others might not.
>>
>>342494056
>not being able to tell a bad con man's face immediately when you see it

this guys face has a totally different look on it than igarashis face
>>
>>342492271
>>342491126
Did they ever make that MN9 documentary that was planned, similar to what Double Fine did?
>>
>>342493142
I am reading it nigger.
>Hurf durf you cannot post valuable info on 4chan
How about you fuck off to reddit, kid.
>>
>>342494056

Kitamura has more creativity in his left thumb than in Inafune's entire body.

http://shmuplations.com/megaman/
>>
File: dynatron.jpg (175 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
dynatron.jpg
175 KB, 1280x720
>>342494049
After Pyrogen, I played the next stage from the demo, No. 3 Dynatron.
This level isn't very good, it's like a weak version of the Spark Mandrill stage set at a power plant. It's largely forgettable up until an infamous section where you need to crouch-dash under some spinning instant-death turbines.

The game for some reason has two kinds of dashing on the ground, a standard dash and a crouch dash.
It's a lot like sliding, except that slides wouldn't get cancelled by turning or not holding the button.
The execution for these two consecutive crouch dashes are way too tight and don't belong in the game, it's not like classic Mega Man sliding which has a set duration.

During the stage you have Dr Sanda screaming over the communicator because he's afraid of the dark. That doesn't make any damn sense, he isn't there in the power plant, he's monitoring Beck from the safety of his office.

There are also a couple of rooms where you fight off enemy waves, including these small spider robots that are too short for your pea shooter to hit. Instead of forcing you to use "Action Shift" for that shooting the ground thing, or using a different weapon, the enemies simply jump backwards when you fire so you can maybe hit them. Brilliant enemy design right?

The Dynatron boss fight has a similar problem, she attacks by firing multiple conductors, which stick to the wall or to Beck. You can shake them off or destroy any that are left stuck, but eventually after spreading a few of these she will use an electric attack that starts with her high up then dropping down.
To be safe from this attack you need to remove any conductors from the walls, don't bother with the floor, and be on the opposite side of the room.
If you're playing pea shooter only, it'll be impossible to remove all of these especially the ones on the floor.
Dynatron herself flies around usually very high, making it very difficult to shoot her, it's just such a drawn out boss fight.
>>
File: inafunememe.png (993 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
inafunememe.png
993 KB, 1366x768
Inafune did nothing wrong.
>>
>>342494095
I was fooled by the campaign, was in the 'stick it to Capcom' mentality, had just gotten my first job and a disposable income, and wasn't very conservative with my money.

Kickstarter has made tons of great video games and I had the revelation that aside from maybe Shantae which isn't out yet, I haven't backed any of them. I just bought Volgarr, Shovel Knight, and a few others as game products and played them right away. So I just don't back video games anymore. I've funded other stuff on Kickstarter with much better results though, good tabletop shit has come out of it.

>>342494279
I think so, some sort of dev documentary came out last week, though I haven't watched it.
>>
>>342494049
Pyrogen has 3 visual queues actually.

Chest beat - Explosion charge
Arms up - Jump charge
Pounds hand into fist(?) I think - normal charge
>>
>>342492826
Thanks for posting all this, fascinating how badly they botched all the simple things.
>>
>>342494432
>hamfisted-in nigger robot

REALLY
E
A
L
L
Y
>>
>>342494279
Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri4bV3Z186Q
>>
>>342494435
>talking out of one side of his mouth, literally
>cannot face the camera head on

really, people fell for this guy?
>>
File: 1462352457246.jpg (35 KB, 500x450) Image search: [Google]
1462352457246.jpg
35 KB, 500x450
>>342494435
>that face
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (184 KB, 1280x712) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
184 KB, 1280x712
>>342494432
Next I took no No. 5, Battalion. This is the last of the three stages I played from the demo.
This is definitely one of the better stages using conveyor belts pushing crates, military supplies and such, with hallways that slope around and nice enemy placement that flows.
This level feels very reminscent of Mega Man Zero games to be sure. It's an inoffensive level, and the boss fight itself is pretty decent too.

Battalion has simple enough patterns, he jumps around, picks one of his projectile attacks and repeats, I'd say he's the easiest main boss in the game and has patterns reminiscent of Search Man from Mega Man 8.
This is an excellent starting stage because it's manageable without special powers, and gives you one of the very best powers.

I also found Battalion's dialogue and voice acting pretty amusing, stuff like addressing Beck as Private, talking about conduct of war, major malfunctions. All bosses have dialogue if you lose, he says stuff like you fought with honor, I'll notify your next of kin. Doesn't make the most sense because all the Mighty Numbers are siblings but he's basically insane at the time.

This level is definitely the shining gem of the game, if they released this as the only level in the demo I think people would've had a much better impression before launch.

>>342494516
Is that so? I guess I just had a hard time seeing that then.

>>342494526
I'm quite astounded too. All they had to do was actually study the successes of the franchise history.

>>342494617
Dynatron is more of a big sister character.
>>
Did anyone watch the stream? The devs were dancing around how terrible the game is. They know they have a bomb. They were mostly explaining why it was bad and apologizing. It even ended up crashing on them one time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri4bV3Z186Q

Keep an eye on this. This is the doc (which itself probably sucked a few thousand out of the budget). It will likely answer a few questions.
>>
>>342494690
>Have actual artists
>Make everything in 3DPD
Fuck, why?
>>
so when will the kickstarter for Mighty No. 9-2 starts?
>>
>>342494478
I guess that's a little reasonable with the buttfucking from MML3
>>
>>342494919
Yeah. Pyrogen wasn't that bad for me except the flames have really wonky hitboxes so I'm never sure if I actually am dodging. That and if you read wrong during his powered up phase and get bodied by his charge it's an instant kill.
>>
File: Seismic's_title_card.png (255 KB, 564x319) Image search: [Google]
Seismic's_title_card.png
255 KB, 564x319
>>342494919
With Battalion's special power to abuse I went onto No. 4 Seismic next, which happens to be his weakness.

An interesting thing about all of the stage designs actually is that your special weapon appears to get usefulness, albeit only in that specific stage which itself is poor design.
In this case, your explosives can remove suspiciously cube rocks that let you grab items and take much safer paths, but only in this stage.

The level itself is an underground mining shaft, much like Armored Armadillo's stage with shafts and dangerous things chasing after you. You get enemies popping up out of crates that block the way, which to be honest is a courtesy because it lets you keep your Battalion weapon charged. Although otherwise there's a section later that is very difficult if you attempt it buster only and do not have a red piercing attack boost.

There's also a heavy emphasis on wall-clinging, as you do so whilst dropping down shafts that have death spikes or crushing platforms at the bottom. You can actually get crushed by the moving platforms if they move against the wall or ceiling, and one you need to grab onto because it's directly against a spiked ceiling.
You're under pressure to not get insta-killed by a slow moving drill, so if you don't figure it out quickly you'll take a death but you shouldn't repeat this mistake.

The boss fight itself is inoffensive, Seismic himself I guess is the Guts Man analogue for the series, he jumps ground and makes crates fall through the ceiling. These are usually easy to dodge, although if the safe spot to avoid being crushed is behind him you need to grab the fall and dash over him.
Battalion's weapon makes short work of him though, and he has next to no banter and is mostly just aggressive and slow-minded. After he is rescued he is an entirely capable ally and thinker though, all the robots malfunction in very different ways.

At the end of the day it's an inoffensive but unexceptional stage.
>>
File: CjYms6ZXAAAO6uj.jpg (35 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
CjYms6ZXAAAO6uj.jpg
35 KB, 600x338
>>342495465
Next I took on No. 7's stage, Brandish.

This stage sucks, the entire stage is hopping from car to truck on a highspeed motorway whilst some enemies can fly overhead. Later sections auto-scroll too, and falling on the road is instant death.
Naturally this is where they took their inspiration for enemy knockback to cause instant death, it wouldn't be so bad if certain airborne enemies found in this stage didn't have abnormally high health, during an auto-scroller of all things.

This level really illustrates how unfun the dashing can be, because most jumps require a dash to make them and you have very slippery momentum.

Notably in the background you can see some "innocuous" artwork from backers, but one in particular stands out because it's a crappy drawing of Egoraptor, Egoraptor, Egoraptor and Egoraptor drawn by Egoraptor. He paid $2500 to get his face in the game.

When you get to the boss fight himself, it's a pretty fair fight. He runs around very predictably, you can jump over most things as he twirls around with a spin attack, jumps to perform somersault and kick attacks, etc. His weakness is supposed to be Seismic's lunging weapon but I didn't bother trying this.

Oh, and the character Brandish himself, his deal is he knows he's out of control and is hesitating, but is still going around slashing things to pieces, including cars during the auto-scroll.

Would've been really nice to try using Brandish's weapon, against Dynatron or the final boss, but I never did.
>>
File: MN9_MightyNo8-1.jpg (105 KB, 700x495) Image search: [Google]
MN9_MightyNo8-1.jpg
105 KB, 700x495
>>342495915
My second to last stage of the might Mighty Numbers was No. 8, Countershade.

His stage is the Capitol Building, which is basically the white house. The background has illustrations of backers who also paid for their face in the game, but they don't fit at all because they are traced over photos with no attempt made to caricature them.
They acknowledged that Shovel Knight has a Hall of Champions with backer portraits, but didn't understand how to apply this comically when they imitated it.

You'll soon forget them though as you focus on the stage and realise how bad it is, the entire stage itself is one long looping hallway with Countershade himself constantly aiming and firing his sniper gun. You get to see where he will fire, and then he fires three times in a row with surprisingly slow bullets that ricochet around.
Like, really slow bullets, you will hear the shots, then you will eventually see the bullets. This really kills the pace if you play it safe.

You spend the stage dashing towards the source of the fire until you spot him, shoot him a few times and then he teleports elsewhere. A few times he may set up some instant-death wires, and if you've rescued Dynatron she'll disable one of these rooms.

If you're unfortunate enough to die any time during this charade, you have to restart the whole thing because there's no checkpoints until the actual boss fight.
You repeat this whole chase a few times until he decides to settle it properly.

The boss fight itself is, eh. It's no different from what you were doing before, he warps somewhere, aims, slowly fires. You can see the exact path of his bullets so there is no reason you should ever get hit by them, you're more likely to accidentally touch Countershade himself.

Countershade's character during this is he wants to emancipate robot kind from humans, and starts by going straight for the Capitol Building to become president. At least his voice acting is good, provided by Steve Blum.
>>
File: 6_p_8354.jpg (58 KB, 215x250) Image search: [Google]
6_p_8354.jpg
58 KB, 215x250
>>342496270
My final stage was Mighty No. 6, Aviator.
You first see this character's shenanigans when he hijacks a television broadcast during the intro stage, which takes you to the broadcast tower to stop him.

It's actually a pretty good stage, you ascend it much like the Boomer Kuwanger stage, but has air currents and platforming like Storm Eagle.
However through the level Avi gives the most grating and irritating dialogue. He has absolutely incessant banter that channels Deadpool's spirit as he suffers from multiple television personality disorder, ranging from eye in the sky to weather forecast, "over to you Avi", "thanks Avi".
Here's a few examples so it can torment you.
https://youtu.be/_MjQ5apdUKQ?t=39s
https://youtu.be/_MjQ5apdUKQ?t=5m2s
If you're playing with English voices like I did you'll wish he'd shut the fuck up, not even Cryosphere annoyed me this much.

When you get to the boss fight itself, it's infuriating because you're put up in the air on small platforms, and slipping off because of dashing mechanics still rings true here. You can eventually learn his patterns, and they aren't too bad to dodge actually, but if you go into the fight without Countershade's weapon you are going to have an incredibly hard time damaging him because he's always airborne and moving.
Countershade's weapon trivalises the fight because you can shoot at the platform or his camera, and it will automatically hit Avi for you.
I hated this boss fight though, I got a game over against it and getting better at the fight doesn't make it any more enjoyable. I guess propeller based boss fights from Kickstarter games have a reputation for being infuriating.
>>
>>342496270
>hispanic robot with a Canada rifle trying to be president
Ted Cruz?
>>
>>342496631
so who was your favorite mighty?
character wise
>>
I dropped on the second stage
>>
>>342496631
With the eight main stages completed, two more stages unlock preparing the final events of the game. You get to tackle these two stages in either order.

The first level is a prison break, but instead of playing as Beck you get to play as Call, the Roll analogue.
Worth noting is that this stage was one of the stretch goals for the crowdfunding campaign.

Call is not fun to play as, she can fire one slow weak bullet at a time and she can dash and hover, but she cannot absorb and many enemies cannot be defeated.
So logically, the start of the level plays out as a stealth mission, evade the enemies and collect keycards inside of crates to open doors. Leaving security cards around like that doesn't seem fitting for a maximum security prison.

Then at some point later it decides, actually yes you should be fighting enemies!
Here have a gauntlet of enemies that are painfully slow to dispatch because you have an even worse pea shooter and they are still bullet sponges.
You also get a barrier that reflects projectiles, it's not all that useful for avoiding harm, and you have to recharge it by collecting Patch support bots along the way.

The level ends in a boss fight against a giant security robot dog, the only way to hurt it is to shoot its eye, and the eye is destroyed after taking enough damage. This means you have to wait for an enemy to be dropped in, which the dog eats and this restores its eye so you can whittle its health down some more. For some reason shooting at it whilst it's eating does a critical hit sort of, and it won't get its eye back. It's a very boring bossfight with a weak character.

I appreciate having extra one-time characters who might be limited in some aspects, but it really wasn't needed or well approached.
It's like how the Gyrocopter stage in Star Fox Zero doesn't fit the overall game.

>>342496997
I'm gonna have to go with Battalion, his banter during the stages was genuinely amusing.
>>
>>342494929
>>342494690
Hold up, they have really great artists and they spent the money and resources on multiple licenses for Autodesk product suites, Unreal Engine Linceses, possibly adobe stuff, and that other one they used for animation, not to mention the hardware you need for all of it?

If I did not know, it is possible they used MN9 KS to finance their entire studio and the game is a by-product of it.

I am not saying MN9 financed all of it, given 4,4M is in reality no that much as far modern game development goes, especially spread over 3 years, and I am sure Con man paid most of the studio expenses but the 4.4M most likely contributed to it. I just cannot justify the expenses, unless this is meant to be reused for future products.
>>
File: mr_graham.png (79 KB, 336x537) Image search: [Google]
mr_graham.png
79 KB, 336x537
>>342497179
The second stage alongside the prison break, is going to the Cherry Dynamics Robot Factory.
In the story Cherry Dynamics is where Dr William White used to work and is headed by Gregory Graham, who is immediately portrayed as suspicious during the intro stage.
(Holy shit his legs are tiny in the illustration)

You go there to stop more trouble, as the production line is manufacturing more out of control robots, somehow even designing its own.

This stage is not that bad, it sees you taking advantage of the weapons you've amassed, although only some of them are applicable.
Just stuff like doors that open but shut very quickly, so you use Battalion's weapon as a remote detonation to time the door opening, or a wall that's slightly too high to reach unless you use Aviator's weapon, or a switch behind a gap which needs Countershade's ricocheting bullets.

There's a mini-boss fight against a production core, where it periodically opens its defenses so you can attack it whilst it keeps manufacturing and dropping generic enemies in the room, and main boss is the mother computer for the factory. It starts with producing an Unnamed truck of a robot that has surprisingly low health, and getting it out of the way lets you attack the mother computer.

Throughout the stage you'll see all the other Mighty Numbers helping out, so that's a thing I guess. The first stage boss is recycled as a sub-boss too, it has exactly one new attack.
>>
>>342496270
actually seismics ability trivialises this stage, as you can use it to charge through enemies, and it deflects billets.
>>
So do the female bots feel like they're just added in for the sake of being waifus
or do they feel like they actually fit in
>>
>>342497673
After that, you're onto the 12th and final stage of the game, the battle colosseum.

The final boss as explained in the story is Trinity, a prototype of Beck with the same Xel absorption ability but no control over it. Her absorption is so out of control the colosseum itself is being distorted by Xel, and anything other than Beck himself is at huge risk of being assimilated.

When you go in there the stage is very cubic and digital looking, and the enemies are mild reskins of things you've already met. It's actually not that dangerous of a stage, the only thing is you have to understand out the regenerating Xel clusters work.

The game introduces them as "regenerating when Xel surrounds them", you shoot them and first they turn into solid blocks you can safely stand on. You continue shooting them and they are destroyed, but sometimes regenerate.

At first you'll keep attacking these blocks and won't understand why they sometimes respawn and sometimes don't, you're likely to think that if there are any adjacent clusters then they can regenerate, so you need to remove all of them in careful order right?

Nope, as it turns out they simply regenerate if you are far away from them. This doesn't really make any sense because you're not actively absorbing Xel by being near them, but there you go. So you'll get to one wall of clusters over a bottomless pit and take a while to figure out how to move past it due to the game poorly explaining things or communicating concepts.

>>342497823
That's interesting to know, it's just too bad the game doesn't do a good job of tutoring any weapon usage.
>>
>>342497509

Remember Kickstarter gets a cut on that 4m.and QA for all that platforms isn't cheap. Speaking of platforms Do you think that their Kickstarter PR staff might have something to do with all that platforms being added to the strech goals?
>>
>>342496631
>dialog popups through the entire game

Please tell me you can turn those off lol
what were they thinking
>>
>>342485214
>FOUR FUCKING MILLION DOLLARS.
>being this retarded
>>
>>342494516
Pyrogen is bullshit the first time around. If you see the animations you still have no idea what it means. Suddenly he pizza explodes most of the screen.
>>
File: trinity.jpg (296 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
trinity.jpg
296 KB, 1920x1080
>>342498191
When you're finally past the stage itself, the final boss fight is, disappointing to say the least.

She comes in two phases, first a big scary sphere monster. She attacks by firing Xel projectiles at you, and when she has fired enough it becomes vulnerable.
One particular attack pattern is similiar to the Yellow Devil, in that she fires them in a certain order, then the shots return in that order backwards.
During the fight the arena will shapeshift as pillars protrude and recede, sometimes in ways that make it impossible to climb to safety.

After beating the first form, it assumes its second form which kind of serpent like? Hard to explain, but you attack and absorb segments of the body so the head can be attacked.
I did struggle with the fight overall, but as it turns out the first phase is surprisingly easy to cheese by simply spamming Brandish's weapon. It can make you invulnerable during the yellow devil pattern and punish it quickly. I didn't do this personally and wish I knew about it.
Battalion's weapon was pretty good against the second phase, but it's good against most things.

And that's the final boss, Trinity is under control and you see some ending artwork and the credits scroll, okay.
It's really lazy, you see Trinity recover, and you get told that the Mighty Numbers enter the crumbling arena to rescue them without actually seeing this.

In case you didn't notice, there was no sort of boss fight rematch at any point.
Seems like a real wasted opportunity, if Trinity has been absorbing everything and is responsible for all the robot rampaging, the final stage should have included some artificial copies of the eight main bosses.
You unlock a boss rush after the game at least, but why would you want to play such a mode when the boss fights are arguably the worst thing in the game?

>>342498934
Unfortunately, not to my knowledge.
In fact there are a lot of cutscenes mid-level which can change depending on the bosses you've defeated.
>>
File: Screenshot (4084).png (1 MB, 1798x1011) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (4084).png
1 MB, 1798x1011
>>342499171
The credits scroll by the way is ridiculous. For the main credits you get treated to a rap by Mega Ran, which has weird lyrics like thanking the 71000 backers and mentioning Comcept, and you get to hear multiple backers who paid for the privilege of recording their voices says "I am Mighty Number so and so".

And then the Kickstarter thanks roll. All 71000+ names (many of which default to "A Generous Backer"), and if you let the whole thing scroll it will take over 2, maybe 3 hours for them to finish scrolling. Yikes.
My name is among those credits, and I waited a very long time to see it as it's past 30000. As it turns out though if you press Start, you can skip to the next 10000 names, but that still takes far too long for the names to cycle.
There is great irony in that the credits themselves last longer than the game itself.

And that was how I beat the game in one sitting, I had a few game overs, didn't make the best use of powers because the game never really demonstrated them or encouraged their use in enticing ways. I can't say I actually enjoyed it.

Later on, I decided to load the game again to check my time again my save game, but the game actually failed to save any data. I lost all my progress, so I can't replay stages at will and I cannot access the extra modes or the online modes that unlock as you progress the story, yikes. This might be a specific issue to the DRM free installed version, because the game is not officially launched in Europe either.

It isn't too much of a problem because I have very little intention of replaying it, but will pose a small hurdle if I want to play the Ray DLC.
>>
>>342488313
Sounds like you're a brain dead casual. Maybe go back to Pokemon. The gameplay was tight as fuck.
>>
>>342477921
>Totally not trying to shoehorn my idiological views in the game guys, really! xD
>>
File: 1466309162926.jpg (1 MB, 2576x744) Image search: [Google]
1466309162926.jpg
1 MB, 2576x744
>>342499446
Now that I'm finally done talking about the gameplay itself, and how it fails to deliver, let's talk about presentation.

The presentation is weak in a lot of areas as well, as anyone can plainly see the visuals leave much to be desired.
I am indifferent personally and the graphics are serviceable at best, but clearly they didn't know how to work with the Unreal Engine 3 used to develop the game. The animation is limited too, during cutscenes they don't even have lip-flapping or moving eyes, they only do static facial texture updates with some pre-defined faces.

The game has music, did you know that? You might've missed it, between the constant voice over dialogue and sound effects or score bonuses.
Wanna hear Beck say "Just what I needed" over and over instead of the actual music? Then this game is for you.
I honestly can't remember what any of the music sounds like except maybe boss fights, when it's not drowned out by the gameplay it's utterly forgettable.
And oh lord the voice acting. Some of it is tolerable or amusing like Countershade or Battalion but most characters are grating or dull, including Beck himself.
I wish the characters didn't have to talk all the time, the voice acting ended up being a huge detriment.
>>
>>342499446
>if you let the whole thing scroll it will take over 2, maybe 3 hours for them to finish scrolling. Yikes.
>the credits themselves last longer than the game itself
holy fuck i'm crying
>>
File: Screenshot (4109).png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (4109).png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>342499731
The story, it's uh, something?
The game starts with the riveting line "It is the present year". Why did that even need stating?

Society is peaceful and the only violence is robot wars held at a battle colosseum for fun, even the robots themselves understand and enjoy this.
But then suddenly they go on a rampage and you have to sort this out.
Beck wasn't affected, Call wasn't affected and they're trying to figure out why.

The president of Cherry Dynamics Gregory Graham insists that it's not their fault and that Dr Blackwell is to blame, whilst they do their best to resolve the situation (although I never see anything to this effect as they actually request that you come get their robot factory under control.)

Dr Sanda calls his brother in Japan, and they discuss that Japan can't send any robots to help the situation in America because they might only make things worse, so they decide that Beck must use his assimilation abilities to get the Mighty Numbers under control and study them to understand the problem.
Whilst rescuing Mighty Numbers, Gregory Graham is getting hounded by government officials to fix the problem, whilst he has paperwork on his desk alluding to "Project Trinity".

Eventually with enough data, Dr William White, creator of all the Mighty Numbers concludes that custom source code from an old unsuccessful "Project Trinity" is responsible for the rampages, a project that he and Dr Blackwell worked on under Cherry Dynamics.
Just discovering this fact doesn't really matter too much, but after rescuing all the Mighty Numbers they do their prison break so they can meet up with Dr Blackwell who previously tried to shut down all robots.
>>
File: ROBUTT.png (344 KB, 1015x625) Image search: [Google]
ROBUTT.png
344 KB, 1015x625
The art book isn't that bad even though it's mostly a collection of the kickstarter update art.
>>
File: 1464354691300.png (279 KB, 646x428) Image search: [Google]
1464354691300.png
279 KB, 646x428
>>342499731
actually becks legs break as he walks too
>>
File: Mr._Toothpick_arms._jpeg.png (94 KB, 336x537) Image search: [Google]
Mr._Toothpick_arms._jpeg.png
94 KB, 336x537
>>342500037
When Sanda and Call meet Dr Blackwell, they learn that he was framed for previous problems simply because the project had problems, and he ended up with the jail term.

Then when Beck gets the robotics factory under control, Dr William White visits Gregory Graham and learns that Graham reactivated Trinity because he wanted to pursue a lucrative opportunity in disabling weapons and control, unaware of the catastrophe it would unleash. He blames everyone but himself for the poor decision, but in any case he wasn't acting maliciously or plotting anything.

He also recognised that Dr William White is actually Dr Bill Blackwell, something that William doesn't not at all and refuses to be addressed that way.

After these revelations, they find that the battle colosseum is being radically assimilated by Trinity, the prototype of Beck, and poses an enormous threat. The whole catastrophe is occurring simply because Trinity doesn't have any control over her assimilation abilities, but it's not really clear how this translates in largescale robot malfunctions.

So Beck goes in there, fixes Trinity in the same way he fixed all the other Mighty Numbers and malfunctioning robots and the day is saved. Credits scroll, the family reunites, Trinity is fixed so she will be in full control of herself and Beck goes back to competing in robot colosseum battles.

Scroll credits, and we get a post-credits scene where Dr William White meets Dr Blackwell, and William is adamant that robots have the capacity to evolve ethically because of his breakthroughs with Beck's "heart", which is what fixed Trinity. Dr Blackwell however sees a great deal of dangers in this, thinking that robots that attain true sentience and reasoning could also be a danger. It ends with Blackwell wondering of Mighty No. 9, Beck, will be a blessing or a curse.
>>
File: no7_o2.png (1 MB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
no7_o2.png
1 MB, 1600x900
>>342500341
So that's the story I guess? It's nothing special, but a few things struck me.

Parts of it doesn't flow logically like the robots rampaging because of Trinity, and the Dr White and Black thing is a not so subtle recycling of Dr Light's development of the X AI that serves as the basis for all reploid-kind in the future.
So the story doesn't have any explicit villain, but instead has a few characters who could potentially go off the deep end and serve as a Dr Wily in future instalments which they clearly baited.

Another thing that bugged me when I spotted it, was Gregory Graham's confidential Project Trinity documents. Upon closer observation the documents explicitly describe all of the forms and attack patterns for Trinity as a final boss, include projectile fire and the stage transforming around her.
The fact this is illustrated as such implies that Trinity actually functioned EXACTLY as designed, rather than going out of control. Either that, or they stuck the papers in there as an easter egg without considering the implications of it.

(Brandish picture because I didn't post it earlier).
>>
>>342473602
>Shovel Knight raised 311K
>This piece of shit raised 4 FUCKING MILLION DOLLARINOS
>>
Has anyone tried out the Online Challenge Mode? It's like no one's on to play it. ;-;
>>
File: lol i.jpg (81 KB, 379x364) Image search: [Google]
lol i.jpg
81 KB, 379x364
>>342494929
>>342494690
>Comments are disabled for this video
>>
File: ray dlc.jpg (63 KB, 345x384) Image search: [Google]
ray dlc.jpg
63 KB, 345x384
>>342500672
That aside, I should mention the DLC.

There's the retro hero DLC, a cosmetic that I never actually saw in the game and never got to use, weird.

The Ray DLC unlocks an extra stage for The Vermillion Destroyer, but I never played this one because I wanted to leave it until later.
After you beat the stage you get to play as Raychel, who is also a prototype of Beck who cannot control her powers.
Ray's difference is that she is very dangerous, malfunctioning in a way that she is constantly losing energy, leading to a bloodlust that she has to constantly satiate to survive.

From what I've seen her gameplay consists of meleeing enemies and dashing into them to survive, and could be more fun than Beck himself. She also gets to assimilate the Mighty Numbers and even gets a different set of special weapons, but I don't know what they do.
In order for me to play it though I have to beat the intro stage and then the DLC stage, which I won't bother with as long as the game saving problem is intact.

I suppose that about sums up my not so Mighty experience. Good grief, I'm not playing that again.

>>342500223
That is one thing I did like about the game, a lot of the concept art and illustrations provided by Inti Creates.
They contributed to Shantae and the pirate's curse too and I loved that game.
>>
>>342500780
thats because no one can play it, because there game save resets when they quit the game and they have to unlock it again
>>
Anyone have that screenshot with the guys that have his potraits in the game? >>342500915

>>342500780
Well thats replay value soo no one is going to play it.
>>
File: 100% ray.png (436 KB, 754x763) Image search: [Google]
100% ray.png
436 KB, 754x763
>>342500915
here, have a pic of rays base model
>>
>>342500727
Shovel Knight, while great and was handled well, also seemed to punch within its weight limit. Arguments can be made about the true intentions of Mighty No 9, but regardless, coming out on all the platforms currently out and getting shit made for it at the time is a nightmare. Shovel Knight is on everything now, but when it came out it was just PC, Wii U, and 3DS.
>>
>>342500223

>exposed panties roll

What the fuck Inafune. What a perv.

Mind you, I'm NOT complaining. I'd love a whole game with loli robots with panty shots.
>>
File: Screenshot (4102).png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (4102).png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>342500727
I'm glad you mentioned that.

Comcept had a very clear release hell trying to support multiple platforms and regions in the same week.
They honestly should have taken the same approach as Yacht Club Games have, in that Shovel Knight was initially released for PC, Wii U and 3DS, and later on for OSX/Linux, and later yet the Playstation family of systems and Xbox One.
Not only did the later releases get their own exclusive perks like Kratos and Battletoads stages and boss fights, but they are now supporting nine different platforms smoothly as they continue to support it with extra campaigns like Plague Knight and Spectre Knight. They even got their own amiibo and made its functionality substantial, Yacht Club Games actually know what they are doing!

So, that totally wraps up my review dump. Hope someone enjoyed it even if it was really fucking long.

>>342501004
It's a bit fuzzy but here you go.

>>342501078
The modelling for this game is really weird, character proportions are stubbier than the illustrations and their arms are fucking huge.
It looks like they had to implement their arms in a different way.
>>
>>342486098
:41 ... WTF? Even Blanks doesn't make sense in this context. WTF?
>>
>>342501078
wow

there are dota modders far, far better than this
>>
File: 1441687690f417.jpg (594 KB, 2792x2732) Image search: [Google]
1441687690f417.jpg
594 KB, 2792x2732
>>342494929
This is a new abstract kind of cringe.

This documentary with its editing and music implies that this is going to be a great product. Something about the tone of every scene being presented is really offputting. I'm forcing myself to watch through this just so I have better knowledge of game development in general. But this is looking to be the closest to the Devil's Candy of video games.

Right off the bat they're using excel spreadsheet to design the levels. Shouldn't they just make a basic level editor and design based on reaction and interactivity? This is shit you do in the NES days because it took a day for levels to compile or some shit. The levels are probably so sparse and off due to this.
>>
File: 1466700827817.png (343 KB, 619x326) Image search: [Google]
1466700827817.png
343 KB, 619x326
>>342499446
even the credits are fucked
>>
>>342500301

His visor annoys me. He NEVER uses it.
>>
>>342501335
Thanks anon, also you are a fan of megaman or just got the game?
>>
>>342501441
Yeah I saw that undefined line personally.
They didn't QA this shit at all.

It probably happened because the first 10000 names actually starts with 900, rather than 1 or 901.
>>
>>342501416
>Right off the bat they're using excel spreadsheet to design the levels.

How do tehy even manage to do this? I would have thought they'd just lay out the levels in a level editor, paper, or a drawing program.
>>
Have they even shipped physical copies yet? Not that I am excited to play it but I am supposed to be getting a physical one.
>>
>>342501335
thats all the people who backed the game to get their portrait in?
honestly I thought there would be more
>>
>>342501735
The kickstarter ones? I don't think so, if they have I haven't gotten mine. But you could go to some retailer right now and buy a boxed copy if you wanted.
>>
>>342501528
I fucking love me some Mega Man, have played all of the classic series plus an amazing rom hack called Rockman 4 Minus Infinity, the SNES X titles, the Zero series, both ZX titles, the whole Battle Network series.

I was more than familiar with the hallmarks of the series going into Mighty No. 9 and was wondering how they'd approach them, and as it turns out very poorly.

It's not like it's hard to do, Inti Creates took a really good look at the strengths of the classic series and produced something fantastic in Mega Man 9 and 10.

If you want a fantastic Mega Man experience you might've never played before, I strongly recommend Rockman4 Minus Infinity, it shits all over Mighty No. 9.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0Xnm6sHYLo
>>
>>342501735
alot of the physical rewards they haven't shipped yet
>>
File: 1436386105402.png (128 KB, 267x400) Image search: [Google]
1436386105402.png
128 KB, 267x400
>>342501335
If you don't already have a youtube channel, I think you could do a great job reviewing.
>>
>>342501953
There are more illustrations in the stage as you wander the repeating halls.

Half of the "face in the game" inserts went into Countershade's Stage, and the others into Brandish's stage or maybe a cinematic before the intro stage starts.
>>
File: 1334969780692.jpg (48 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1334969780692.jpg
48 KB, 640x480
>>342501335
Thanks for the review anon, went way more in depth than I thought you would.
>>
File: 1462376802150.jpg (47 KB, 536x536) Image search: [Google]
1462376802150.jpg
47 KB, 536x536
>>342494929
>levels designed in excel
holy shit, you can't make this up
>>
File: 17317_demoman-07.jpg (67 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
17317_demoman-07.jpg
67 KB, 1280x720
>>342501735
And blowing it up, i like how you think anon.

>>342502056
Alright i will try that, thanks. Megaman was one of the first games that i have played and that happened in 1996 when i was 6 in my cousin house.
>>
>>342501416
>Right off the bat they're using excel spreadsheet to design the levels. Shouldn't they just make a basic level editor and design based on reaction and interactivity? This is shit you do in the NES days because it took a day for levels to compile or some shit. The levels are probably so sparse and off due to this.

haven't watched it but what you're describing is prototyping and it's not unusual to do something like that

the fact that you think it's somehow less work to make a level designer program on top of having to edit the levels manually into the game..
>>
>>342502094
>>342502056

this desu, you would be amazing, this whole thing has been so in depth, you should do one for battleborn, although that would take forever this this level of detail.

in depth reviews for infamous games
>>
>>342502380

None of the "mega Man veterans" that were returning had any experience with level desgin. It's all the artists and composers. The game's two directors are some "literally who" scmucks with little to no experience.

>>342502623

There's a million better programs to use than Excell. There's pre-existing level designing programs. No, I don't expect them to just write a new program. Hell, using a drawing program, or even paper would be better.
>>
>>342489986
(you)
>>
>>342495915
>one in particular stands out because it's a crappy drawing of Egoraptor, Egoraptor, Egoraptor and Egoraptor drawn by Egoraptor
Better than nothing. Oh wait. Better than an actual picture. That's more like it.
>>
File: 1462372490168.png (375 KB, 718x654) Image search: [Google]
1462372490168.png
375 KB, 718x654
>>342502751
>It's all the artists and composers.
which makes it all the funnier that all the designs are complete and utter shit.
There's a line in the video about how one of the designs that were instantly greenlit was the blue harrier-helicopter amalgamation.

It makes no sense and looks like fucking crap
>>
>>342502751
>There's a million better programs to use than Excell. There's pre-existing level designing programs

how do you have any idea about what's better to use? if you're just prototyping/blocking things out, why do you think it has to be complex? they're using excel, i imagine, because it might as well be post it notes

having problem with development is one thing, but when you start picking out every little thing as a critical issue, including things that are just harmless prototyping methods, it shows you don't know what you're talking about.

not everything needs to go wrong to make an awful game. 15% of things need to go wrong.
>>
>>342489986
>>342502840
more like (((you)))
>>
>>342502751
>>342502982
I feel bad for Manami Matsumae. She deserves a better game than this for her music.
>>
>>342494072
female Beck DLC
>>
>>342502732
>>342502094
I appreciate it, although I doubt outside of this one occasion it would be worth it.
It's easy to rip into something that you feel about on a personal level, but I've never played the likes of Battleborn or Overwatch.
It's more of a candid rant than a proper review in a few cases, more than anything it measures the failures against the standards and expectations raised by the "series creator", after all.
>>
I can't hate Mighty No.9, every time a play it, it feels a little better.

Ignore the paid reviews from Capcom and give it a try.

It's like /v/ nowadays only like Overwatch, Undertale and #FE.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 90

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.