[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HAPPY BIRTHDAY SM64!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5
File: sm640.png (947 KB, 849x668) Image search: [Google]
sm640.png
947 KB, 849x668
happy 20th birthday SM64 and thank you based miyamoto, it's been a wild ride. please share sm64 related stories to commemorate this historic event.
>>
File: 1344544057783.jpg (7 KB, 251x234) Image search: [Google]
1344544057783.jpg
7 KB, 251x234
>20 years
>>
PU
>>
>>342433607

That's great and all, but first...
>>
My first video game
>>
AN
>>
>>342433607
I experienced sm64 through sm64
ds. I was a little sperm, so I just went about getting most stars with luigis backflip instead of learning how to reliably walljump.
>>
but f
>>
>>342433607
sm64 truly is a masterpiece..it can be enjoyed and even beaten by someone with basically no skill, yet the perfect planning of the levels and the depth of the movement system lends itself perfectly to speedrunning or creative play through movement optimization, etc.
>>
>>342433607
>tfw it's been almost 15 years and I still haven't beaten it
>>
File: 1466572325792.jpg (106 KB, 460x601) Image search: [Google]
1466572325792.jpg
106 KB, 460x601
>20 years
WAKE ME UP
>>
>>342433953

I-I also made a thread...
>>
>ir's true
I remember the secret slide time star was the last star I ever got. It took me 5 years to accidentally get it.
>>
>>342433607
I'm fairly certain the N64 came out in 1998. But after looking it up, I realized that it was out for two years before i got it for Christmas. That's crazy, id always assumed I got it the year it came out. Happy 20th birthday sm64!
>>
Without knowing anything about video games besides the super nintendo, this guy had a n64 during his birthday party out. He showed it to a few people. They were sports kids at heart so they cared little about it. But as soon as I played mario 64, I had no idea what I was doing. But it felt incredible magical to be in a 3d environment. When I finally figured out that you had to jump through the painting to begin a separate stage, the idea that there are other planes of reality and the fact you can jump into a background blew my little kid's mind. The transition from 2d to 3d was an amazing time, and I did not move from playing the n64 by accident. Needless to say I wasn't friends with that guy for long but man was it worth it.
>>
anyone remember how bad their spatial awareness was in 3d environments in video games back then when it was brand new? you could get lost in the smallest and simplest of areas
>>
>>342435983
I don't recall that, but I'm sure it was possible. I remember my dad watching me play Mario 64 and offering suggestions and getting excited about it with me. Him and I both played the regular NES up to that point so the huge open 3d world blew our minds. Who else played their first 3D game with a parent who was as excited about it as you were?
>>
>>342433607
>there will never be as pivotal a moment in gaming again
feelsbadman
>>
>>342433607
Reposting this classic vid of two Japanese dudes playing run away from the 1-up mushroom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSYAQSGAp0I
>>
File: Title_Screen_-_Super_Mario_64.png (88 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Title_Screen_-_Super_Mario_64.png
88 KB, 1024x768
>>342435602
You should have known something was up when a lot of games were copyright 1996 and 1997
>>
>>342433607
TWENTY FUCKING YEARS AND I STILL CAN'T LAKITU SKIP PROPERLY
>>
>>342437310
That's true, I guess I just tried to skip past the start screen as quickly as possible.
>>
>>342436334
Nope. At some point in 97/98 I came home from school and my parents were like ''Here's a Playstation. enjoy.'' and off they went and left me to it. I didn't ask for one or anything, didn't really know anything about games being six years old. And that's how I got my first console.
>>
File: mobile-1945-1452479837-9.jpg (13 KB, 625x369) Image search: [Google]
mobile-1945-1452479837-9.jpg
13 KB, 625x369
Played it on pj64
The game is the tits.
but beating gay bowser and using the flying cap was a fckin chore on a keyboard
>>
>No other game came close to the technical complexity of moving mario around a 3D space in 20 years
Jesus christ
>>
>>342437686
it's just like modern games never strive for this kind of complexity in the least bit...how did we get into this mess
>>
Best game ever made
>>
jesus

mario 64 was a fucking journey for me
following all the news in magazines and such since the net was non existent. all those pics and interviews did NOTHING to prepare me for actually playing the game in 1996.

i mean, true fucking 3D movement was introduced. mario could tip toe, walk, crawl, run full tilt. the worlds were huge and bowser was even bigger than i could have imagined. the music and sounds were just amazing.

this is true AAA gaming, something that pushed forward a brand new tech and just what you could do with games for consoles. not like now, where its barely pushing anything forward.
>>
>>342438778
also, people wanted to know why people are pissed at gaming now?

just look at the past and what people 30 years ago grew up with compared to now...
>>
>>342433607
I really hope this doesn't turn into a shitty a press thread.

Anyways, what are the odds the next 3D Mario goes back to the 64 style?
>>
It still blows my mind that no other 3D platformer has ever topped SM64 in the level of precise control you have over your character once you git gud. How could this be in twenty fucking years?
>>
>>342438997

Unlikely. Galaxy kinda reinvented the 3D Mario formula, I'm not expecting less from the next entry.

I would welcome another 64 remake with extra levels, green stars and luigi mode.
>>
>>342438778
I played Crash Bandicoot on the PS1 just before SM64 and so the 3D World stuff had worn off on me
>>
>>342439298
>luigi mode
>what is mario 64DS?
>>
>>342439192

idk man, Galaxy and Galaxy 2 were pretty tight.
>>
>>342438997
Galaxy and Galaxy 2 were pretty similar to Mario 64. The most important thing they have in common is that the stages are floating in midair with a giant bottomless pit surrounding the stage. What I would like to see is a 3D Mario game where the stages are not floating in midair but are grounded in a larger world like Isle Delfino.
>>
>>342439517
64ds is fucking shit, why they thought they could take a game that worked amazing with analog inputs and make it digital is fucking beyond me
>>
>>342439639
I really loved how you could see the other levels from each area in Sunshine. That would be pretty cool to see again.
>>
>>342439734

Git gud. The game's mechanics are clearly redone with the DS in mind. It's not even a port of Mario 64. It's a complete remake.
>>
>>342439517

I was refering to something more focused on the platforming and not so much on the exploration.
>>
>There are people in this thread RIGHT NOW who weren't even alive when 64 came out
>There are kids on /v/ RIGHT NOW who have never played it before

CANT WAKE UP
>>
>>342440073
even worse anon?
getting younger kids to play AND appreciate the older games that shaped and influenced the shit that comes out now.

try getting a kid to play CoD after a match of BO3 or a kid to play DE after HR. they will complain about too much freedom and shit, they need their walls and structure.
>>
>>342440435
It's really depressing. I'm not one of those all new games suck people but finding a good game back before 2006 was easy you had plenty of quality titles. Good games are harder to come by these days and these kids don't know any better. I don't expect them to be interested in what I played when I was their age but it really isn't helping video games as a whole when the garbage they play is all that's getting made these days
>>
>>342440435
>getting younger kids to play AND appreciate the older games that shaped and influenced the shit that comes out now.
forcing someone to do something is a good way to make them hate it

let them seek out what they want to play, don't shove
>>
>>342442668
but then those kids might grow up and make video games having never played a good video game
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.