[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did sonic autists throw a shitfit over this game? I just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 13
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (157 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
157 KB, 1366x768
Why did sonic autists throw a shitfit over this game? I just beat it and it was fantastic, the only bad world was Frozen Factory but besides that, everything else was fun as fuck. The ability to toggle controls/speed levels worked great after getting used to it. Sonic has tight controls when slow as seen in levels like Tropical Coast Act 2 with the little islands you have to platform on.

There was great variety, gimmicks, music. Red Rings seem to be hidden well since I missed a lot, and the side missions are fun. Only cons I have to give it would be the already mentioned Frozen Factory (only Act 2 was good) and the writing and characterization fucking sucked, especially for Sonic and Tails. Otherwise this game is a solid 8 or 8.5, depending on your tolerance.
>>
File: Classic vs Modern.webm (3 MB, 400x320) Image search: [Google]
Classic vs Modern.webm
3 MB, 400x320
>>342416569
>awful finicky controls with zero flow or momentum
>linear boring levels
>completely pointless run button
>shitty plasticy art style that's a huge downgrade from previous games
>annoying auto multi homing attack that can barely be controlled and has unpredictable results
>redundant homing attack variant that the game punishes you for not using yet doesn't indicate when to use it
>parkour is a hamfisted addition
>game takes control away from you at every opportunity, wherever there's a strip of land or a speed booster
>absolutely horrid and cringe inducing writing and story
>wisps in the game for no reason and are much worse than they were in Colors
>webm related
>>
I enjoyed it a lot (beyond some really, really stage involving a snowball, I forget the exact details) and the annoying grind to find those red rings (but that's just because secrets are never fun to find when you're trying to force yourself through a checklist instead of "oh hey that's a cool secret.") and while I do understand some complaints I do think it's massively overblown yeah.
>>
File: 1466573802642.jpg (13 KB, 305x385) Image search: [Google]
1466573802642.jpg
13 KB, 305x385
I really loved this game, it was comfy like a kirby game.
>>
>>342416569
>Knuckles being in this game

God they have no idea what to do with Sonic's supporting characters
>>
>>342416569
It was really good however there was an obvious drop in quality as you played, I really feel this could have been Sonic's Mario Galaxy if they had really put the effort into it.
>>
>>342417961
I think a big problem is that for years people yelled and bitched about "muh partners" despite the real issue being adding too many gameplay styles. They scaled back the partners in unleashed and you still get fucking werehog.
>>
>>342417927
Thats a great way to describe it, it was really relaxing and nice to look at it

>>342417961
Its the new writers theyve used since colors, they dont know shit about the series.

>>342418172
>the werehog is another character!

Its still sonic you fucking autist
>>
>>342418172
Why don't they just make the characters had different abilities like the advance games?
>>
>>342417961
They're scared of making everyone mad again by having someone who isn't Sonic be playable.
They also shoved basically everyone aside sans Tails, Knuckles, Amy and Eggman.
>>
>>342418334
>Its still sonic you fucking autist

reading sure is hard

>>342418343

probably because that shit's hard in 3D I guess? I think they did it right with Tails in Adventure and arguably Amy in that game as well.
>>
>>342418334
>the werehog is another character!
>Its still sonic you fucking autist

Not him but it's obvious he was talking about gameplay styles not characters
>>
I thought you guys were talking about Boom for a second.
>>
>>342418509
Oh, well with that i have no problem because I enjoyed the werehog, both in design and gameplay. Wish they would bring back another gimmick 2bh. These 3-4 hour sonic games don't do it for me.
>>
File: 1454202091170.png (148 KB, 377x283) Image search: [Google]
1454202091170.png
148 KB, 377x283
>>342418371
The fans: "You guys are adding too many characters. They tend to lack meaning in the bigger picture and make the games too busy. The alternate play styles tend to be poorly conceived, it would be better if you stuck to basics with the gameplay and had few playable characters that were just variations of the core gameplay like in Sonic 3 & Knuckles."

Sega: "WHAT YOU HATE OTHER CHARACTERS OKAY ONLY SONIC PLAYABLE FROM NOW ON"

The fans: "What the fuck? We don't want this!"

Others: "God Sonic fans just don't know what they want, they bitch and whine and Sega gives them what they ask for and they're still unhappy, the fans are why Sonic sucks."
>>
>>342419117
>shitty 3 and cuckles

stopped reading there, that game is an overrated turd that drags out way longer than it should and playing as anyone else except sonic sucks ass.
>>
File: sonic_heroes.png (2 MB, 600x1162) Image search: [Google]
sonic_heroes.png
2 MB, 600x1162
>>342416569
Glad you liked it Anon. I might give it a shot myself since I bought the bundle. Even though I've seen lots and lots of LP's of this game, it still looks like it's worth a try.

Now if only pic related could have a decent PC port.
>>
It's not a bad platformer, it's just a bad sonic game, and is a bit too reliant on gimmicks that aren't fleshed out.
>>
>>342419362
Heroes is due for a modern port/remaster
>>
>>342419221
Yes we know you get your opinions from retarded youtubers you don't have to say it again.
>>
>>342419590

It's really not. Hreoes is garbage.
>>
>>342419618
nah. i played it in the mega collection a few times and then gave sonic 3 complete a spin. by the time the sonic and knuckles half starts, the game is just boring to continue. shouldve been one game capped at 8 or 9 zones instead of 12 zones filled with fucking trash levels like marble garden, sandopolis, death egg, carnival night, and lava reef.
>>
>>342417560
Jesus, how do you even fuck up slope physics?
>>
>>342416569
My only problem with it were the terrible bosses that interrupted the levels, and that's it. That zelda level is so good
>>
>>342419691
Heroes is one of the best games
>>
>>342416569
I haven't seen anything? Sonic Boom caused a shit storm but that's it.
>>
>>342419873
If S3&K is trash to you, then you must consider most other 16 bit era games to be absolutely abysmal garbage.
>>
>>342419940
Best level in the game for me. With the Yoshis island stage at second best.
>>
>>342419983

It's the worst Sonic game.

inb4 "but 06/boom" those are so fucking broken they're hilarious to mock. Heroes is the kind of bad where it basically runs fine but is just not fun to play at all and is a massive chore. It's a massive chore and you have to do that massive chore four times in a row (along with a lot of runs in the worst special stage a Sonic game has ever had) before you can even do the final boss.
>>
>>342416569
I just prefer boost gameplay over it. Lost World has really bad flow.
>>
>>342419590
I hope so. Just make it less slippery and the special stages wouldn't be as nightmare inducing.
>>342419691
It's a mixed bag game for a lot of people. I like it because the team mechanic is cool, the music is nice and I always go to it if I want something playing in the background, and I just had fun with it.
>>
>>342416569
It's a mixed bag for me. I like Sonic's controls in the game a lot, they remind me of Adventure 2. But they are never really utilized to their fullest because the levels like to be too gimmicky. The level design is just very not-Sonic. It's obviously trying to be Mario Galaxy and does a bad job at it.

I'm actually hoping the new Anniversary game keeps the controls but rehauls the levels entirely because when you learn how to parkour correctly, it's actually really awesome.
>>
>>342420081
im not to fond of 16 bit games. i first played my dads snes and didnt really for it outside of mario world. but then they got an n64 and i loved it way more. i prefer 3D games if thats what your trying to say, sonic being no exception.
>>
Let's be clear.

The only reason Sonic is still "surviving" today is because he was the closest mascot character to Mario in Mario's hayday.

Sonic games in general after the transition to 3D have always had a few major flaws that bring their experience down from being great to just good or mediocre (wonky cameras and too many non-Sonic levels in SA and SA2, 3 character power gimmick in Sonic Heroes, Sonic 06's rushed development, etc).

Even the modern 2D Sonics (like Sonic 4 Episode 1 and Sonic Colors) aren't free from some annoyances like lack of momentum and gimmick power-ups that are hardly ever utilized outside of the stages they come from.
>>
>>342417927
that sounds very boring
>>
>>342416569
it looks okay but may of the stages become a gimmick instead of incorparating a few with the base gameplay. Nobody wants to play sonic and say "WOO I LOVE BEING A SNOWBALL" or "I LOVE DODGING SHIT WHILE PERPETUALLY FREEFALLING". Its not fun at all.
>>
>>342420336
So then say you don't like S3&K instead of sperging out and saying it's an overrated piece of shit that's objectively bad
>>
>>342420165
Oh yes, I forgot you had to 100% heroes in 24 hours or else the game deleted itself, leading to many a retard rushing through the game. The game is very to play and if you dont, you dont like it. I loved all the teams and different characters so its one of my favorites. You dont
>>
File: 129791361355.jpg (17 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
129791361355.jpg
17 KB, 320x320
>ditch the unleashed formula which was just starting to hit its stride with generations
>completely shit on the homing attack
>dump the gorgeous environments from unleashed/colors/generations
>try pandering to the "hold boost to win" shitposters by introducing a mechanic where you have to hold down both fucking triggers to go at a reasonable speed
>blatantly copy mario galaxy with the level design
>>
>>342420559
>anon gets triggered by a shitposter
>>
>>342420708
The unleashed formula was used once before becoming shit: in Unleashed itself. Every subsequent boost game was a pile of shit that tacked on tons of slow shit block platforming in 2D instead of playing to the engines strength of high speed spectacle. Unleashed is a one of a kind while colors and generations are generic garbage 2D platformers
>>
>>342420708
I will never understand why people praise unleashed. Most of the time it looked shitty and the levels were boring as fuck, especially the werehog garbage. When I got to the last boss I was so disappointed I got rid of the game. First true buyers remorse for me.
>>
>>342420930
>unleashedfag arrives: the post
>>
>>342420559
even though i prefer 3D games, i dont have anything against 2D ones. for the sake of the thread well limit it to sonic. i actually like sonic 2 and cd and the advance and rush games. but sonic 3 and knuckles is seriously a drag to play. its nothing but punishing you across giant levels that last 5 or 6 minutes. act after act. zone after zone. it seriously is one of sonics worse and tails is just an easy mode sonic reskin while knuckles controls like garbage. sonicfags seriously overrate that games existence and just circlejerk it because its the most popular one for years. give someone inexperienced to sonic say, sonic 2 or advance 2 and s3 and knuckles. pretty high chance theyll go with the former
>>
>>342420708
Boost ran its course heh so no more but being too lazy to code acceleration and designing stages around it is inexcusable. Sonic needed a break from boost it made the stages too narrow and linear but sonic lost world was not the answer we needed.
>>
>>342421318
>No proper points or arguments to validate his stance
>HURR DURR ITS TOO LONG I LIKED S2 AND ADV2 SO SONIC 3K PRAISE IS JUST A CIRCLE JERK

Just stop posting if you stop now you'll look stupid rather than mentally challenged.
>>
File: Hokey_Profile_v2.png (326 KB, 400x455) Image search: [Google]
Hokey_Profile_v2.png
326 KB, 400x455
I WANT _____ ____ ___ _____
>>
>>342421318
>sonicfags seriously overrate that games existence and just circlejerk it because its the most popular one for years.
and just why is it the most popular, do you even stop to think about these things
>>
>>342416569
>Why did sonic autists throw a shitfit over this game?
Because they can't keep memeing that the series is bad if they let people know that it's good
>>
>>342421708
what are your arguments? nostalgia, autism, MUH GLORIOUS LEVEL DESIGN ITS SO GOOD SHUT THE FUCK UP ITS NOT BAD, and not straying from the herd? wow, those are some hot opinions. go play an actual fun 2D sonic game. like 2 or advance 2 or rush.
>>
>>342421318
>sonicfags seriously overrate that games existence and just circlejerk it because its the most popular one for years
Except Sonic 1 and 2 were far more popular with the rest of the world because they were packaged with the genesis, received the most remakes, an sold more.

> its nothing but punishing you across giant levels that last 5 or 6 minutes. act after act. zone after zone.
Usually it's only punishing if you're bad anon. Unless if you consider not going at absolute top speed punishing.
>>
File: purrito.jpg (78 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
purrito.jpg
78 KB, 720x960
It wasnt a completely awful Sonic game but it wasnt that good either. It was average.

>that one comfy as fuck grinding level
Still go back and play that level every now and then.
>>
>>342422148
sounds about right then. ironically, sonics worst enemy is the fans. they shit their diapers from 1994 if its not a rehash of sonic and knuckles. surprised that a bunch of normalfags have better taste than the actual fans.

>if youre bad
oops, i forgot sonic was all about tiptoeing ahead and playing safe so you dont get keep stopped. sonic is so fucking gay when hes going fast, i forgot.
>>
>>342422554
>oops, i forgot sonic was all about tiptoeing ahead and playing safe so you dont get keep stopped
It's more about going fast and using that speed to avoid things that would stop you and reach paths that are less punishing, but ok.
>>
>>342422023
2 is great and I would say it about tied with S3k. The stage design is great and but has few alternate paths. Most stages are really short save for metropolis zone. Which the difficulty ramps up pretty sharp but nothing an average gamer can press through. Compared to S3k where the alternate paths are wide and varied and there are maybe 3 paths to the goal while some characters can end in different areas altogether. The bosses are much better and the subosses are pretty fun. The special stages a great and they add a secret zone for sonic at the end which was a successful plan since they keep incorporating it in sonic games. The stages in sonic 3k even from the first one had interesting gimmicks which kept the flow going and added flair to the stage design. If you were really good you can actually bypass them and move at your own pace. Sonic 2 did not give this option. This is why people preferred sonic 3 over 2. People also like the way the story was presented to you. Not a word was uttered but you had a good idea of what was going on and the scenes and stage transitions were great.

Rush had good music thats it really. Advance 2 was my favorite advance and I should give it a playthrough next time.

Some actual points instead of trying to insult and looking like a dumbass.
>>
>>342419362
I have Heroes on PC but I never bothered to play the PC version. Is it a really bad port with no fanpatches or did you just not know of the PC port's existence?
>>
File: 1457991578848.jpg (5 KB, 147x169) Image search: [Google]
1457991578848.jpg
5 KB, 147x169
>>342422023
>if somebody likes something that's old then it must be nostalgia there is no other possible reason
>>
File: 9Qsaevl.gif (167 KB, 220x216) Image search: [Google]
9Qsaevl.gif
167 KB, 220x216
>>342422554
Why the fuck have all these underage shitposters started appearing trying to ruin Sonic threads?
>>
>>342422940
yeah thats nice and all, but the levels arent setup like that at all
>>
>>342423705
Are you trying to say you can't use momentum to reach alternate paths that let you go faster? Because that's literally what 90% of S3&K's stages do.
>>
>>342416569
> Fantastic

Eeeehhhh

I don't think it was fantastic, but I sure don't hate it as much as everyone else.

It's a comfy game and the controls are fun.
>>
>>342419362
heroes PC port is fine.
>>
File: 1457318170772.png (6 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1457318170772.png
6 KB, 640x480
>>342422554
>>342423705
>it's another episode of "I'm shit at the game and it's the game's fault"
>>
>>342419873
You back the fuck up, Carnival Night Zone is great.
>>
>>342424564
This. It's getting fucking tiring seeing posts like that.
>>
>>342417560
I agree with everything you just listed. Game was trash.
>>
Is there a mod to have the wii u levels on pc?
>>
>>342425453
I'm not sure, but I remember one guy saying that the files were still in the PC version of the game.
>>
>>342423958
no its not. its mainly going through a corridor, then it widens up a bit. you get launched with a spring or hill as a benchmark. if you dont have enough speed and know the level so you know where to land (sicne youre so high up and cant see whats under), you get the garbage slow path.

frankly, linear games are much better than this type of "alternate path" garbage if this is what it consists of. another score for the 3D games.
>>
>>342425587
The point of the game is to use prior knowledge to make yourself go faster. It was literally designed with speedrunning in mind. Why are people unable to understand this?

Even then the game is perfectly playable on your first run, it's just you can't go as fast as you want.
>>
>>342419883
It takes more effort to make them than not, anon, and the people working on Sonic now don't give a shit like old Sonic Team did.
What's even more sad is that it's way easier to make slope physics now than it was on the Genesis. They did some major technical wizardry to pull it off back then since they only had basic math and pixel based tiles, but now game engines are loaded with easy to use math routines and 3d polygons contain angle data within faces. It's really inexcusable.
>>
>>342425579
Damn. Hoping someone will eventually do it.
>>
>>342425867
i dont like that old design. the general movement of sonic games should always be at a fast pace. you shouldnt have to fucking earn your speed in sonic, whats the point in controlling someone like sonic if all you do is go slow and play it like anything else?

sonic should always be moving or have very quick recovery times (the only game that gets this is right is the boost ones) and the rest is on you to learn the levels to speedrun them perfectly without stopping.
>>
>>342426431
>you shouldnt have to fucking earn your speed in sonic

Stopped reading right there.
>>
>>342426634
good, now you can go back to enjoying your bad games lol
>>
File: 84723952.png (532 KB, 547x710) Image search: [Google]
84723952.png
532 KB, 547x710
>>342426431
>this is how Sonic should be because I said so
>the original games made by the original creators who decided what Sonic is and how it should play are wrong and I'm right
>>
File: 1425578565350.png (530 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
1425578565350.png
530 KB, 1366x768
>>342416569
like most if not all sonic games, the first half was too good compared to the second half and the whole thing falls apart.

i loved the first few worlds but eventualy the music got worse, the bosses were a joke and inconsistant (some taking 3+ hits while others taking just 2) and the game just seemed to drag on.

the extra world was ok though.. so was this bitch, even though her personality was atrocious, joke or not
>>
>>342420442
... it was comfy like a kirby game
>>
>>342416569
>DUDE, IT'S LIKE A SATURDAY MORNING CARTOON
Nobody asked for that, Sega.
>>
>>342427469
oh and FUCK the fact that your jumps have no momentum to them, the shitty jumping fucked me off so bad

also whatever the pink music power was, that was shit
>>
>>342420704
>Oh yes, I forgot you had to 100% heroes in 24 hours or else the game deleted itself

What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>342428798

He's saying its acceptable to make a disgustingly padded game where you have to run through normal mode, easy mode, hard mode, and trash mode variants of every level in order to get a real ending. It's the fault of the player for not spacing out their time playing it even though the game gets unbelievably repetitive just a few levels in.
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.